Star Wars: The Mandalorian (official Series Discussion Thread) Update (Season 3 drops Feb 2023)

BlkStrength

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I think Ezra will be the one to answer. They have already hinted with showing the Lothal cat and mentioning Thawn. Its a good way to have Grogu leave the show if they want to go that route.

Also, in a new show they can jump ahead centuries in the future and have an adult Grogu the only tie to current films and shows. Have completely new characters, conflicts and stories.

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
How Star Wars failed Ahsoka Tano on "The Mandalorian," even beyond the casting controversy

the-mandalorian-still07.jpg

On a recent episode of "The Mandalorian," shockwaves reverberated throughout Star Wars fandom when Rosario Dawson donned the red-and-white makeup and signature montrals for her debut as Ahsoka Tano. In the episode, the Jedi interacted with Baby Yoda and later swung her dual lightsabers through laser fire to clash with a new villain, Magistrate Elsbeth (Diana Lee Inosanto). The Force should've been strong with Ahsoka's long-awaited appearance, yet the fandom was split over the portrayal of the fan-favorite character.

Much had been riding on selecting just the right actress to portray the headstrong young Jedi of the Togruta race, who was first introduced to George Lucas' Star Wars universe in the animated "Clone Wars" series created by Dave Filoni. The addition of Ahsoka, voiced by Ashley Eckstein, to canon was both risky and game-changing as the apprentice to Anakin Skywalker, who would someday become the infamous Darth Vader. Despite an initial rocky reception, her snark, her insecurities, and her badassery won the hearts of many Star Wars fans, including skeptics like me, especially since Ahsoka was the first onscreen female Jedi with a complex coming-of-age arc that included challenging the Jedi institution that raised her.

Once Ahsoka's voice was heard offscreen in "Rise of Skywalker," anticipation to meet her in the flesh grew. The Disney+ series "The Mandalorian," which takes place after the events of "Return of the Jedi," was the most logical place for her leap into live action. Dawson had already expressed interest in playing Ahsoka as early as 2017, and although rumors of her casting abounded in the last few years, Lucasfilm never confirmed them.

The arrival of Dawson as Ahsoka in the episode "Chapter 13: The Jedi" should've been cause for rejoicing. Unfortunately, it was marred to due to controversy attached to her casting, in addition to qualms with her performance.

A more conservative Ahsoka

While acknowledging the casting controversy, many critics still praise the return of Ahsoka. In the series, the titular Mandalorian, Din Djarin (Pedro Pascal), travels the wide galaxy while caring for an alien Yoda-species youngling (dubbed "Baby Yoda" in popular culture) who has mysterious powers he doesn't understand. By Mandalorian creed, Din must return the child to its kind, a Jedi in this case, who can raise the child as well as explain the Force. This Jedi turns out to be none other than Ahsoka.

While it may seem nitpicky, I was among those fans who harbored mixed feelings about this version of Ahsoka. Her alien-montrals appears shrunken for practicality of movement and looked foamy on camera. But above all else, the episode produced a rather conservative depiction of Ahsoka, not utilizing her much beyond the shell of a Jedi wise woman.

This Ahsoka espouses the "fear and anger leads to the dark side" doctrine common among the old Jedi without much variation. In contrast, it was far more tantalizing to witness an animated Ahsoka second-guessing her Jedi identity throughout "The Clone Wars" and "Star Wars Rebels."

This restraint is not necessarily a negative nor is it out of character though, rather a byproduct of the series, which is anchored to the Mandalorian's point of view. Therefore, Ahsoka is treated as a mystic figure to observe from the distance, and after time has passed, it's likely that she's reached a point where she made peace with her identity crisis. At her best, Dawson wears calm and mature professionalism with touches of sanguinity, such as when she smiles and communes with The Child – now named Grogu – through the Force.

An uninspired performance and storytelling

Ahsoka's well-earned maturity aside, many other aspects of this Ahsoka don't quite sing onscreen. When Dawson delivers lines like "I've seen what such [angry] feelings can do to a fully trained Jedi Knight," it ought to be loaded with heartbreak (whether or not not the viewer knows her history), but the weight does not sink in.

Filoni had helped create the original, younger Ahsoka for "Clone Wars," and he continues with her evolution as the writer and director of this episode. But his animation background and lack of previous live-action experience was already noticeable in the two previous "Mandalorian" episodes he directed, and can still be felt here. Dawson's performance may have benefited from different direction and prompting.

Some fans felt that this flatness could've been avoided if the series had just cast the original voice actress, Eckstein, to reprise the live-action Ahsoka, just as Katee Sackoff reprised her animated character Bo-Katan Kryze for "The Mandalorian." I can't pretend to not share this sentiment since Eckstein's soothing voice cinched Ahsoka's likability, but Ahsoka is coded as a woman of color. Lucasfilm putting faith in a newcomer of color to physically embody an iconic Star Wars character could have paid dividends.

But that didn't happen, and sadly, Filoni's storytelling choices didn't help endear this version of Ahsoka either. While Ahsoka's climatic saber fight against Elspeth is thrilling – reminding me of the atmosphere of the best of Genndy Tartakovsky productionsAhsoka's actions felt off. Watching Ahsoka flick her wrist to trip her enemy, bat her lightsaber, pop up behind adversaries, and spring roof to roof – I felt could be snappier when executed in animation. I suppose that awkwardness could be chalked up to a shaky live-action direction, although previous "The Mandalorian" directors Rick Famuyiwa and Deborah Chow succeeded better.

I also found it unproductive for Ahsoka to name-drop a famous Star Wars legendary villain, Grand Admiral Thrawn, to tease a new antagonist. This fan service disturbed the charm of the series by crossing a line since there was no indication this villain would be relevant to the adoptive father-son story at the series' emotional core. And while it would be fun to think about another unresolved mystery in "Star Wars Rebels", which Ahsoka may have been involved in, it shouldn't be done at the expense of Din Djarin and Grogu's story. It would have been more tantalizing for Ahsoka to leave her question at "Where is your master?" and omit the answer.

It's uncertain whether we'll see Ahsoka on "The Mandalorian" again. While fans are glad Filoni had his chance to direct his own beloved creation and experiment with her, I would be interested to see new directors – especially female directors since "The Mandalorian" only has a ratio of two female directors to seven male directors so far – and more female writers be entrusted with the character.

I'm open to seeing Ahsoka morph and evolve across mediums. But for now, I believe I've already witnessed Ahsoka realize her fullest potential in animated form.

The fanboy meddling tide is rising...:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

This is why I'm SO glad I never got into the extended universe stuff because you know what...I didn't have a problem with ANYTHING in that episode.

Ahsoka didn't fight as dynamically as her cartoon version.....DIDN'T KNOW SO DON'T CARE!

She mentioned Thrawn a character who may or may not go anyway in the story....NEVER HEARD OF HIM, SO...DOESN'T MATTER!

They should have gotten the voice actor to play the live action version like they did with Katey Sackoff.....didn't know Sackoff was reprising the role...cool...DON'T CARE!

I can watch every episode of The Mandalorian and ENJOY the DISCOVERY of everything that's happening in it. Unlike fanboys who don't watch movies and tv shows with an open mind... they just ANALYSE everything to see if it matched up with what they ALREADY KNOW.... and if details are off SLIGHTLY for whatever reason...It's FUCKED UP and the echo chamber of social media gets churned up and before you know it their criticisms go viral and by season 3 there are going to be articles that read WHERE DID THE MANDALORIAN GO WRONG? (that article is coming don't fool yourselves)

We've seen it happen before. Now that I'm on the other side of this I can see how people who never got into the OT can watch the Star Wars PT and ST and be like "it was okay to me":dunno::dunno::dunno:

We gotta STOP BURDENING ourselves by falling in love with a bunch of other made up stories to the point where if something comes along that doesn't match up PERFECTLY with what we already know then it destroys how much we enjoy this current story.

ViCiouS

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
This is why I'm SO glad I never got into the extended universe stuff because you know what...I didn't have a problem with ANYTHING in that episode.

Ahsoka didn't fight as dynamically as her cartoon version.....DIDN'T KNOW SO DON'T CARE!

She mentioned Thrawn a character who may or may not go anyway in the story....NEVER HEARD OF HIM, SO...DOESN'T MATTER!

They should have gotten the voice actor to play the live action version like they did with Katey Sackoff.....didn't know Sackoff was reprising the role...cool...DON'T CARE!
This is why Trump became president and half the country now refuses to wear masks and insists that their invisible friend, yah-weh, magically carried Trump to victory on 11/3...

pride in being willfully ignorant of x subject ;)

extreme example: do you remember when g o t started going off the rails... book readers vs tv watchers?

IMO In this case majority of the critque is about Filoni's lack of live action film expertise
NOT the story... or even casting

If Rodrigez, Fukiyama, Wattiti, or even Howard directed the ep, I doubt there would any write ups critiquing Dawson...
but because the fans have been "spoiled" by constently high quality story execution on TV from LucasFilm - when there is a slight misfire-
the more extreme fandom tend to nitpick

ViCiouS

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
So many interesting possibilities could pick up Grogu's signal:

1. Mace Windu (If the series confirms survival)
2. Ezra Bridger
3. Leia Skywalker
4. Luke SkyWalker
5. New Sith Character
They won't do Leia... there was a statement of not using Carrie Fisher' likness digitally again, nor using another actress
my guess is that won't change for at least a few more years

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
This is why Trump became president and half the country now refuses to wear masks and insists that their invisible friend, yah-weh, magically carried Trump to victory on 11/3...

pride in being willfully ignorant of x subject ;)

extreme example: do you remember when g o t started going off the rails... book readers vs tv watchers?

IMO In this case majority of the critque is about Filoni's lack of live action film expertise
NOT the story... or even casting

If Rodrigez, Fukiyama, Wattiti, or even Howard directed the ep, I doubt there would any write ups critiquing Dawson...
but because the fans have been "spoiled" by constently high quality story execution on TV from LucasFilm - when there is a slight misfire-
the more extreme fandom tend to nitpick
Should the extended universe really be required viewing in order to enjoy Mandalorian??:rolleyes::rolleyes:

and that's the thing the loudest voices tend to be the more extreme fandom.

Last edited:

ViCiouS

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
Should the extended universe really be required reading in order to enjoy Mandalorian??:rolleyes::rolleyes:

and that's the thing the loudest voices tend to be the more extreme fandom.
clone wars and rebels are not in the extended universe
clone wars, rebels, and Mandolorian are enjoyable as standalone series
but are more intensly enoyable to those familiar with full canon

like Justified, Watchmen, shit even the follow up to Eastbound and Down

Day_Carver

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
So many interesting possibilities could pick up Grogu's signal:

1. Mace Windu (If the series confirms survival)
2. Ezra Bridger
3. Leia Skywalker
4. Luke SkyWalker
5. New Sith Character
Mace is dead or too old
Ezra is cool
Leia not ready, is her powers even developed yet at this point
Luke ok but lets get away from the Skywalkers a little bit
Siths are somehow always lurking

lazarus

waking people up
BGOL Investor
How Star Wars failed Ahsoka Tano on "The Mandalorian," even beyond the casting controversy

the-mandalorian-still07.jpg

On a recent episode of "The Mandalorian," shockwaves reverberated throughout Star Wars fandom when Rosario Dawson donned the red-and-white makeup and signature montrals for her debut as Ahsoka Tano. In the episode, the Jedi interacted with Baby Yoda and later swung her dual lightsabers through laser fire to clash with a new villain, Magistrate Elsbeth (Diana Lee Inosanto). The Force should've been strong with Ahsoka's long-awaited appearance, yet the fandom was split over the portrayal of the fan-favorite character.

Much had been riding on selecting just the right actress to portray the headstrong young Jedi of the Togruta race, who was first introduced to George Lucas' Star Wars universe in the animated "Clone Wars" series created by Dave Filoni. The addition of Ahsoka, voiced by Ashley Eckstein, to canon was both risky and game-changing as the apprentice to Anakin Skywalker, who would someday become the infamous Darth Vader. Despite an initial rocky reception, her snark, her insecurities, and her badassery won the hearts of many Star Wars fans, including skeptics like me, especially since Ahsoka was the first onscreen female Jedi with a complex coming-of-age arc that included challenging the Jedi institution that raised her.

Once Ahsoka's voice was heard offscreen in "Rise of Skywalker," anticipation to meet her in the flesh grew. The Disney+ series "The Mandalorian," which takes place after the events of "Return of the Jedi," was the most logical place for her leap into live action. Dawson had already expressed interest in playing Ahsoka as early as 2017, and although rumors of her casting abounded in the last few years, Lucasfilm never confirmed them.

The arrival of Dawson as Ahsoka in the episode "Chapter 13: The Jedi" should've been cause for rejoicing. Unfortunately, it was marred to due to controversy attached to her casting, in addition to qualms with her performance.

A more conservative Ahsoka

While acknowledging the casting controversy, many critics still praise the return of Ahsoka. In the series, the titular Mandalorian, Din Djarin (Pedro Pascal), travels the wide galaxy while caring for an alien Yoda-species youngling (dubbed "Baby Yoda" in popular culture) who has mysterious powers he doesn't understand. By Mandalorian creed, Din must return the child to its kind, a Jedi in this case, who can raise the child as well as explain the Force. This Jedi turns out to be none other than Ahsoka.

While it may seem nitpicky, I was among those fans who harbored mixed feelings about this version of Ahsoka. Her alien-montrals appears shrunken for practicality of movement and looked foamy on camera. But above all else, the episode produced a rather conservative depiction of Ahsoka, not utilizing her much beyond the shell of a Jedi wise woman.

This Ahsoka espouses the "fear and anger leads to the dark side" doctrine common among the old Jedi without much variation. In contrast, it was far more tantalizing to witness an animated Ahsoka second-guessing her Jedi identity throughout "The Clone Wars" and "Star Wars Rebels."

This restraint is not necessarily a negative nor is it out of character though, rather a byproduct of the series, which is anchored to the Mandalorian's point of view. Therefore, Ahsoka is treated as a mystic figure to observe from the distance, and after time has passed, it's likely that she's reached a point where she made peace with her identity crisis. At her best, Dawson wears calm and mature professionalism with touches of sanguinity, such as when she smiles and communes with The Child – now named Grogu – through the Force.

An uninspired performance and storytelling

Ahsoka's well-earned maturity aside, many other aspects of this Ahsoka don't quite sing onscreen. When Dawson delivers lines like "I've seen what such [angry] feelings can do to a fully trained Jedi Knight," it ought to be loaded with heartbreak (whether or not not the viewer knows her history), but the weight does not sink in.

Filoni had helped create the original, younger Ahsoka for "Clone Wars," and he continues with her evolution as the writer and director of this episode. But his animation background and lack of previous live-action experience was already noticeable in the two previous "Mandalorian" episodes he directed, and can still be felt here. Dawson's performance may have benefited from different direction and prompting.

Some fans felt that this flatness could've been avoided if the series had just cast the original voice actress, Eckstein, to reprise the live-action Ahsoka, just as Katee Sackoff reprised her animated character Bo-Katan Kryze for "The Mandalorian." I can't pretend to not share this sentiment since Eckstein's soothing voice cinched Ahsoka's likability, but Ahsoka is coded as a woman of color. Lucasfilm putting faith in a newcomer of color to physically embody an iconic Star Wars character could have paid dividends.

But that didn't happen, and sadly, Filoni's storytelling choices didn't help endear this version of Ahsoka either. While Ahsoka's climatic saber fight against Elspeth is thrilling – reminding me of the atmosphere of the best of Genndy Tartakovsky productionsAhsoka's actions felt off. Watching Ahsoka flick her wrist to trip her enemy, bat her lightsaber, pop up behind adversaries, and spring roof to roof – I felt could be snappier when executed in animation. I suppose that awkwardness could be chalked up to a shaky live-action direction, although previous "The Mandalorian" directors Rick Famuyiwa and Deborah Chow succeeded better.

I also found it unproductive for Ahsoka to name-drop a famous Star Wars legendary villain, Grand Admiral Thrawn, to tease a new antagonist. This fan service disturbed the charm of the series by crossing a line since there was no indication this villain would be relevant to the adoptive father-son story at the series' emotional core. And while it would be fun to think about another unresolved mystery in "Star Wars Rebels", which Ahsoka may have been involved in, it shouldn't be done at the expense of Din Djarin and Grogu's story. It would have been more tantalizing for Ahsoka to leave her question at "Where is your master?" and omit the answer.

It's uncertain whether we'll see Ahsoka on "The Mandalorian" again. While fans are glad Filoni had his chance to direct his own beloved creation and experiment with her, I would be interested to see new directors – especially female directors since "The Mandalorian" only has a ratio of two female directors to seven male directors so far – and more female writers be entrusted with the character.

I'm open to seeing Ahsoka morph and evolve across mediums. But for now, I believe I've already witnessed Ahsoka realize her fullest potential in animated form.

The fanboy meddling tide is rising...:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I can watch every episode of The Mandalorian and ENJOY the DISCOVERY of everything that's happening in it. Unlike fanboys who don't watch movies and tv shows with an open mind... they just ANALYSE everything to see if it matched up with what they ALREADY KNOW.... and if details are off SLIGHTLY for whatever reason...It's FUCKED UP and the echo chamber of social media gets churned up and before you know it their criticisms go viral and by season 3 there are going to be articles that read WHERE DID THE MANDALORIAN GO WRONG? (that article is coming don't fool yourselves)

We've seen it happen before. Now that I'm on the other side of this I can see how people who never got into the OT can watch the Star Wars PT and ST and be like "it was okay to me":dunno::dunno::dunno:

We gotta STOP BURDENING ourselves by falling in love with a bunch of other made up stories to the point where if something comes along that doesn't match up PERFECTLY with what we already know then it destroys how much we enjoy this current story.
fucking nerds

ghoststrike

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Mace is dead or too old
Ezra is cool

If Mace is alive, age doesn't matter. For example, Yoda walked with a cane but was agile, swift and powerful in battle when using the force. Considering Mace Windu is powerful enough to deflect force lightning back to a Sith Lord and can force crush (General Grievous caught part of that before escaping, hence his weakened state at the beginning of ROTS), age won't slow him down one bit and he prob has a cybernetic hand.

Last edited:

Day_Carver

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
If Mace is alive, age doesn't matter. For example, Yoda walked with a cane but was agile, swift and powerful in battle when using the force. Considering Mace Windu is powerful enough to deflect force lightning back to a Sith Lord and force crush, age won't slow him down one bit and he prob has a cybernetic hand.
He probably has a cybernetic body....

EPDC

El Pirate Del Caribe
BGOL Investor
If Mace is still alive, by the timeline they are in, he would be Count Dooku's age.

Count Dooku was nice with it.

An older hardened and battle scarred Mace Windu would be ridiculous....

Mello Mello

Ballz of Adamantium
BGOL Investor
Grogu? I hate that name for him.

:lol: @ Yoda being a deadbeat daddy to his own but raising other people’s kids into Jedi.

I wonder if Yoda abandoned Grogu cuz he could sense he would end up on the dark side of the force. I mean we got a Jedi Yoda why not a Sith Yoda? The galaxy would be fucked up.

Dope to see Boba Fett show up for his daddy’s armor. Last episode probably one of the best ones this season.

Flawless

Flawless One
BGOL Investor

:lol: @ Yoda being a deadbeat daddy to his own but raising other people’s kids into Jedi.

I wonder if Yoda abandoned Grogu cuz he could sense he would end up on the dark side of the force. I mean we got a Jedi Yoda why not a Sith Yoda? The galaxy would be fucked up.

Dope to see Boba Fett show up for his daddy’s armor. Last episode probably one of the best ones this season.

Honestly it was the worst episode with nothing but fan service. Whats the point in Storm Troopers wearing armor if one shot takes them out?

Mello Mello

Ballz of Adamantium
BGOL Investor
Honestly it was the worst episode with nothing but fan service. Whats the point in Storm Troopers wearing armor if one shot takes them out?

That’s probably why I liked it.

But Storm Trooper armor has always been flimsy in all the Star Wars movies. Those dudes aren’t shit but cannon fodder for the protagonist to kill.

Bounty Hunter took them niggas out with a skinny ass stick. lol Split they wig.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Mace is dead or too old
Ezra is cool

Since this takes place 5 years after return of the jedi...

I am REALLY curious which jedi is available

Day_Carver

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Since this takes place 5 years after return of the jedi...

I am REALLY curious which jedi is available
Well if its 5 years after then Mace is like 120 plus years old :giggle: The only ones we know of is Luke wife and Luke; I dont know if Leia is considered a Jedi, and thats it right? Ahsoka isnt considered a Jedi; who knows where Ezra is at...

EPDC

El Pirate Del Caribe
BGOL Investor

But Storm Trooper armor has always been flimsy in all the Star Wars movies. Those dudes aren’t shit but cannon fodder for the protagonist to kill.

Smh at the thought of fan service being a BAD thing.

FOH, fans should get serviced when watching properties we enjoy. WTF is wrong with that? I've always hated how people act like "fan service" is a bad thing.

ghoststrike

Rising Star
Platinum Member
If Mace is still alive, by the timeline they are in, he would be Count Dooku's age.

Count Dooku was nice with it.

An older hardened and battle scarred Mace Windu would be ridiculous....

Ridiculously dope :yes:

A deadbeat baby daddy Yoda would be wild as fuck :lol:

Storm Troopers were not as well trained for war as Clone Troopers and their armor was degraded after the Galactic Empire rose

That staff mace had some solid weight though. It dragged through the ground. Beskar perhaps? We'll see. Boba nice with it in combat, just like his father who bested a small group of Jedi while unarmed and won Vader's respect when he fought against him.

Mello Mello

Ballz of Adamantium
BGOL Investor
Ridiculously dope :yes:

A deadbeat baby daddy Yoda would be wild as fuck :lol:

Storm Troopers were not as well trained for war as Clone Troopers and their armor was degraded after the Galactic Empire rose

That staff mace had some solid weight though. It dragged through the ground. Beskar perhaps? We'll see. Boba nice with it in combat, just like his father who bested a small group of Jedi while unarmed and won Vader's respect when he fought against him.
Yeah probably Beskar. I want one.

Darkness's

" Jackie Reinhart is a lady.."
Registered
I think Ezra will be the one to answer. They have already hinted with showing the Lothal cat and mentioning Thawn. Its a good way to have Grogu leave the show if they want to go that route.

Also, in a new show they can jump ahead centuries in the future and have an adult Grogu the only tie to current films and shows. Have completely new characters, conflicts and stories.
No because ezra is not a master for one. I dont want him in this show. I dont want him in live action period. I heard theres going to be another seadon of rebels they can continje his story in that show or asohka's live action series. The mandalorian shkw needs to stand on its own. I dont get it though. How can y'all like rebels? How old wsre you when that show was on? 13?. Rebels is Disney kiddie shit with only a few brigbt spots.