Truck Driving...is it worth it??

Mo-Better

The R&B Master
OG Investor

Robotic vehicles are already on some roads. So yeah the future for truckers is ending. Same for railroad engineers although crews will still be needed.

The future for people lies within technology. Need to start rethinking your plans if your not thinking tech. Medical Coding remains a hot field for now. But I can see portions of that being phased out sometime in the future.

Gone are the jobs where you can work half your life secure knowing your job can't be taken away.

gw1933

Rising Star
Registered
Also keep in mind truck driving is not the only job available with a cdl.

A whole new slew of possibilities can open just from you having one.

A good look if you are the type that likes to keep side hustles in motion...

Robotic vehicles are already on some roads. So yeah the future for truckers is ending. Same for railroad engineers although crews will still be needed.

The future for people lies within technology. Need to start rethinking your plans if your not thinking tech. Medical Coding remains a hot field for now. But I can see portions of that being phased out sometime in the future.

Gone are the jobs where you can work half your life secure knowing your job can't be taken away.

.....with AI on the rise, even entry level IT jobs will be gone (i.e. help desk).

Also keep in mind with IT, you still gotta grind to get your foot in the door.

I know cats with Cisco certs that thought the job will be handed to them, thats not how it works, they still had to either do internships or entry level help desk for a couple years before any companies felt comfortable enough hiring them for Cisco related jobs (CCNA, CCNP, etc.).

Last edited:

^SpiderMan^

Mackin Arachnid
BGOL Investor
Fam Im in middle of buying now and the technology is crazy. You really do not need a realtor..... Im shocked at the process now. I bought like 10 years ago and its night and day.

The last 3 years Ive been able to save and invest. If I was 10 years younger and didn't have a path Id be SHOOK if I was in some of these industries. I came out of education and its safe for now, but it is close to abuse in the public schools and in private schools will be easier mentally but will making barely above poverty line.

Yeah innovation has increased but I’m really curious and concerned with the future job market.

Zillow has been collecting data and just purchased a technology company for touring homes virtually. Imagine wearing those Occulus glasses and virtually touring homes.

Here in Cali, the Real Estate market has been hot and homes sell themselves. Realtors have been lazy and it was like pulling teeth to schedule a tour.

^SpiderMan^

Mackin Arachnid
BGOL Investor

Yeah it’s crazy. Even coding jobs are on the clock though. AI and Deep Brain technology will enable AI to improve on itself independent of coding from people. It will collect its own data and learn to get better on its own.

Famous1

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Don’t go looking into UPS, UPS just recently sold UPS Freight to TFI, a Canadian based company that is notoriously anti-union.

UPS Freight was originally OverNite, they brought them out after years of fighting to get them unionized.

UPS had no experience in LTL Freight and basically fucked shit up.

UPS brought OverNite for $1.6 Billion and sold UPS Freight for $800 million.

That should tell you something.

TFI as of now has not stated whether they will honor the Teamsters contract.
Bruh...I'm talking about UPS ground feeder drivers not UPS freight drivers. Two totally separate entities.
And that 1.6 Billion was just to cock block FedEx...UPS has got it.

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
Bruh...I'm talking about UPS ground feeder drivers not UPS freight drivers. Two totally separate entities.
And that 1.6 Billion was just to cock block FedEx...UPS has got it.

Thats a whole different animal and I can tell you that the money ain’t gonna roll in for about 3 to 4 years depending on where you live.

You will be working graveyard, so if you got family, it might be able to be workable, the thing is you sleep all day while they awake.

Also the routes are handed out by seniority and what’s available in freight. If they got 50 guys on the book and their is only enough runs for 20 guys that night, the top 20 guys get rolling and paid and the rest are sent home without pay and are on standby.

They are also teamsters. UPS is secretly on the warpath to bust the union. They already fucked up the pensions for retirees.

UPS, FedEx and other LTL freight companies are in heavy competition with Amazon right now.

Amazon trailers are currently being pulled by Owner Operators and small and mega fleets under contract. Amazon is starting to buy Day Cab tractors for Local and LTL and in the near future have over the road tractors to pull their own trailers.

Domt just look at paychecks with these truck companies, look into the industry as a whole to see where shit is going in 5 to 10 years and beyond.

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
Amazon is getting into operating their own fleet. They are paying hourly wages.

Average wage is about $17/hr nationally, but higher in areas like NY, LA, Chicago and other metro cities.

Work is based on availability that day. If they ain’t got work for you, you go home and don’t get paid.

Also, remember it’s Amazon, you should already know how they treat their warehouse workers and delivery drivers, expect the same treatment driving their day cabs.

Thats why you have to look beyond the paycheck, take everything into consideration with these companies.

maxresdefault.jpg

Famous1

Rising Star
Platinum Member

Average wage is about $17/hr nationally, but higher in areas like NY, LA, Chicago and other metro cities.

Work is based on availability that day. If they ain’t got work for you, you go home and don’t get paid.

Also, remember it’s Amazon, you should already know how they treat their warehouse workers and delivery drivers, expect the same treatment driving their day cabs.

Thats why you have to look beyond the paycheck, take everything into consideration with these companies.

maxresdefault.jpg
Ups feeder drivers make 40/hr plus benefits....time and a half after 8.
If you have a cdl you probably should try to get there.

gil919

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
is it a hazmat thing?
You will have to get a hazmat endorsement to haul the sand its technically hazmat but its actually safer than hauling oil in an oil tanker . Look up jobs in the oil field and check out Fracking Sand as well . Like i said it depends on the company that you work for and if you own and operate your own truck also . There are many variables that you don't hear of in these videos . Some companies will offer you a 5k to 10k sign on bonus and/or pay you to relocate . I don't know how the business is going right now but as long as there's oil there will always be GREAT MONEY in this business !

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
You will have to get a hazmat endorsement to haul the sand its technically hazmat but its actually safer than hauling oil in an oil tanker . Look up jobs in the oil field and check out Fracking Sand as well . Like i said it depends on the company that you work for and if you own and operate your own truck also . There are many variables that you don't hear of in these videos . Some companies will offer you a 5k to 10k sign on bonus and/or pay you to relocate . I don't know how the business is going right now but as long as there's oil there will always be GREAT MONEY in this business !

Don’t get excited with these bonus’ these companies wave out there. It ain’t paid out like what you see with professional athletes

The scam with them is, yes you will get the bonus, but they ain’t cutting you a full check.

The scam is they will split up and pay that bonus out weekly, usually $100/week. So do the math on how it will take to pay out a $3000 signing bonus.

Also, if you are with a company and for example your weekly pay is suppose to be $1000/week. They will work you so that you make $900/week....and then add the $100/week bonus giving you a total of $1000/week.

And they will not fully tell you how the bonus is paid out until after you are officially hired and left your last job.

Schneider pulled that crap about 5 years ago bamboozling mofos advertising a $12,000 sign on bonus.

gil919

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Don’t get excited with these bonus’ these companies wave out there. It ain’t paid out like what you see with professional athletes

The scam with them is, yes you will get the bonus, but they ain’t cutting you a full check.

The scam is they will split up and pay that bonus out weekly, usually $100/week. So do the math on how it will take to pay out a $3000 signing bonus.

Also, if you are with a company and for example your weekly pay is suppose to be $1000/week. They will work you so that you make $900/week....and then add the $100/week bonus giving you a total of $1000/week.

And they will not fully tell you how the bonus is paid out until after you are officially hired and left your last job.

Schneider pulled that crap about 5 years ago bamboozling mofos advertising a $12,000 sign on bonus.
Yes I know all about that ,I worked for a company that paid a percentage of the bonus initially and you would get increments over the next year , it was more than 100 a week though , some of the trucking companies are truly SHIT . No way would I work for Schneider ,. Swift = Sure Wish I'd Finished Training . :roflmao:

gil919

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

maxresdefault.jpg
Theres no way I would work for 17 bucks an hour , fuck that . Wal-Mart is the place to go if you have a class A CDL . King of the cash in OTR . They pay top dollar all over the USA

Famous1

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Theres no way I would work for 17 bucks an hour , fuck that . Wal-Mart is the place to go if you have a class A CDL . King of the cash in OTR . They pay top dollar all over the USA
That's why Amazon's fleet is not a threat to any other trucking company. If you have a CDL and a clean MVR and somebody asks you to drive a truck for $17/hr you should punch them in the damn face and walk off.

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member

You need about 3 years experience driving Class A trucks and a clean DMV record for the past 3 years before Walmart will even look at your application.

They don’t take entry level drivers right out of truck driving school.

You gotta pay your dues before going there.

Mylansky

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Real talk. Big private fleet companies you can make 80,000-90,000+ but you better be coming with at least 3-5 years of experience at minimum. Walmart even pays while you are taking sleep break.
You need about 3 years experience driving Class A trucks and a clean DMV record for the past 3 years before Walmart will even look at your application.

gil919

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

True but Im retired , trust me I already know . You sound like you've been there , over the road i mean. I actually ran from Cali to Florida and from New York to St.Louis Mo . driving a Reefer at 75 cents a mile plus 50 bucks for each stop , no touch ,no loading or unloading . Drop and hook .

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
True but Im retired , trust me I already know . You sound like you've been there , over the road i mean. I actually ran from Cali to Florida and from New York to St.Louis Mo . driving a Reefer at 75 cents a mile plus 50 bucks for each stop , no touch ,no loading or unloading . Drop and hook .

I drive OTR since 2012.

Only have done company driving, too lazy to deal with what it takes as a Owner Operator.

Was planning on getting out of it in 2018, had some medical issues in 2019 and spent majority of 2020 on medical leave. Came back and this stupid pandemic was ongoing.

Pretty much locked in for another year depending on how shit goes with this crappy economy.

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
Even though majority of trucks rolling now are automatics, you still need to know how to drive a stick.

Majority of trucks out there are 10 speed manual. But there are 13, 15 and 18 speed manuals.

Real Drivers drive sticks!

HaHa!!!

10 Speed

db941831989be881eddd3e6f1f29509e.jpg

18 Speed

39d5a645fe5a626d90e0760a9472e3dd.jpg

BDR

BeatDownRecs
BGOL Investor
Tesla coming with their semi trucks about to put all you truck driving mofos in the river :lol:

gil919

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I drive OTR since 2012.

Only have done company driving, too lazy to deal with what it takes as a Owner Operator.

Was planning on getting out of it in 2018, had some medical issues in 2019 and spent majority of 2020 on medical leave. Came back and this stupid pandemic was ongoing.

Pretty much locked in for another year depending on how shit goes with this crappy economy.
Good luck brother , I had a blast out there , my main employment was for The Railroad , which is where I retired from , I was an engineer , drove trucks after I couldnt drive locomotives anymore , THAT JOB PAID 500 BUCKS A TRIP. I am blessed .nice meeting you .

BDR

BeatDownRecs
BGOL Investor
Even though majority of trucks rolling now are automatics, you still need to know how to drive a stick.

Majority of trucks out there are 10 speed manual. But there are 13, 15 and 18 speed manuals.

Real Drivers drive sticks!

HaHa!!!

10 Speed

db941831989be881eddd3e6f1f29509e.jpg

18 Speed

39d5a645fe5a626d90e0760a9472e3dd.jpg
You ride the jakes?

BDR

BeatDownRecs
BGOL Investor

maxresdefault.jpg
This a good gig for retired cats looking to do something part time

papi68

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Thats a whole different animal and I can tell you that the money ain’t gonna roll in for about 3 to 4 years depending on where you live.

You will be working graveyard, so if you got family, it might be able to be workable, the thing is you sleep all day while they awake.

Also the routes are handed out by seniority and what’s available in freight. If they got 50 guys on the book and their is only enough runs for 20 guys that night, the top 20 guys get rolling and paid and the rest are sent home without pay and are on standby.

They are also teamsters. UPS is secretly on the warpath to bust the union. They already fucked up the pensions for retirees.

UPS, FedEx and other LTL freight companies are in heavy competition with Amazon right now.

Amazon trailers are currently being pulled by Owner Operators and small and mega fleets under contract. Amazon is starting to buy Day Cab tractors for Local and LTL and in the near future have over the road tractors to pull their own trailers.

Domt just look at paychecks with these truck companies, look into the industry as a whole to see where shit is going in 5 to 10 years and beyond.
Are you sure that drivers are sent home with no pay and placed on standby? Which company?

papi68

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Does anyone know of any jobs where people sit around but if there is no work they get sent off without pay?

I’ve successfully sued huge corporations for situations like this.

Mo-Better

The R&B Master
OG Investor
Growing up I've watch numerous jobs be eliminated because of technology. From trash pick up jobs to jobs being slashed from the floor of the New York Stock Exchange. Figure if there's a repetitive nature to the job your doing, that job can automated. The NYSE has eliminated many of the jobs and services it once provided. Just look at pictures from say from the 1960s vs pictures today. Notice how few people exist there today.

Trash pick up is now done by one single man. Used to be a three to four man job. Just like on the stock exchanged trading floor technology eliminated jobs. Its to a point where many people will have to continue reeducating themselves, just to qualify for the newer jobs. I see that as being something people will have to adapt to for the rest of their lives.

Some of us are guilty of contributing to the lesser jobs that now exist. Yes you and me too. Think I'm lying? How many here have never used self-check lanes when checking out of a store? OK you did it because it was faster. It also eliminates the need for cashiers. Imagine if 500 people did that everyday. How many more cashiers would it take to process those people. Meanwhile your grocery prices continue to rise.

Cross

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Does anyone know of any jobs where people sit around but if there is no work they get sent off without pay?

I’ve successfully sued huge corporations for situations like this.
The guys I know if there wasnt enough work on the road they would have the guys work the dock to get their hours