Truck Driving...is it worth it??

D24OHA

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
My wife has a uncle that retired a few years back.....mfkr was driving from Cleveland to just outside NYC or some shit for UPS.......

Mon - Saturday........everyday.....CLE - NYC AND then back to CLE.....he made some good ass money, but he was NOT the parent at after school activities, Parent -teacher conferences.....etc.

PDQ21

Rising Star
Platinum Member
I hate driving home from work (45 minutes from one of my locations) so there's no way I can be on the road 6-8 hours a day. Shit I hate driving so much I don't even play "driving" video games.
I feel that but coming home to my big house and 3 car garage helps

I'm local so most of my time is sitting at stops. Like a nice day is doing 4 loads. 2 live loads, 2 drop & hooks. Most the time I'm only doing 100-150 miles. Coming home with anywhere from $250-$450 per day doing 7-10 hrs.

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
I drive OTR Regional. My company covers everything West of Interstate 25.

The way my company is running us nowadays, I can be home 3 maybe 4 days a week.

A lot of times I will just drive thru Vegas where I live so I can get rid of that load quickly for another.

OTR companies are redoing their routes nowadays to get drivers home more. Even team drivers who cover the 48 states are getting home more.

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
It's starting to get hectic.

There are fuel shortages duel to a lack of tanker drivers with HazMat endorsements.

Now we are starting to see delay's in food delivery. Majority of food has to be transported in Refrigerated (Reefers) trailers.

Won't be long before the grocery store shelves look barren.

Remember, everything you purchase in a store or online that you have in your home was delivered by a Truck, it did not just magically appear on the shelf.

And you local drivers know that the stuff you deliver was brought to your warehouse by a OTR driver.

Taco Bell hit by nationwide shortages of some ingredients

The menu at Taco Bell may be a bit limited these days, with the quick-service restaurant chain warning customers that it might not be able to fulfill their current appetite hankerings. CBS Los Angeles' Michele Gile explains why.

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
Volvo VNL Expedite Truck With Kitchen And Bathroom

Get a contract with FedEx and make that money.

All you need is a Class B with HazMat Endorsement.

IMG_5186-0001.JPG

Backshot Bully

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I feel that but coming home to my big house and 3 car garage helps

I'm local so most of my time is sitting at stops. Like a nice day is doing 4 loads. 2 live loads, 2 drop & hooks. Most the time I'm only doing 100-150 miles. Coming home with anywhere from $250-$450 per day doing 7-10 hrs.
what do you haul?

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
My 2020 Trucking Income And Expenses Breakdown…And Is It Worth It In 2021?

This dude drove for Mercer Transportation and Landstar as a Owner Operator pulling their trailers.

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
You are running a business as a Owner Operator - O/O.

If you know how to run a business and make money, there should not be a problem.

Any O/O having issues have no idea what they are doing. That’s why a lot of folks don’t do O/O and are company drivers.

This Brotha has some useful information on his YouTube page.

$200k Is Not That Much As A Owner Operator - Take A Look At Net Pay After Expenses

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
How a truck driver shortage is stopping grocery stores from stocking shelves

by Megan Magensky
Monday, October 11th 2021

For weeks we’ve been hearing of product shortages happening because of supply chain issues.

Whether it’s groceries, custom picture frames or a bicycle, products are getting backed up in ports on the coast because there are no truck drivers to pick them up and take them to their destination.

President of Sage Truck Driving Schools, Chris Thropp says the truck driver shortage has been happening nationally since before the pandemic. He says in 2019 there was a need for 60,000 truck drivers. Now, that number is at about 100,000.

“There are so many choke points in the supply chain,” Thropp said. “I don’t know that anybody really knows how long it’s going to take to unwind all of this and hope that it doesn’t grind to a halt.

When everything shut down because of COVID-19 in 2020, that included DMVs and truck driving schools. You add more Americans flocking online to buy things they might have traveled out for before, and you have a recipe for long shipping times and supply chain issues.

Trucking companies are now offering sign on bonuses and higher wages to entice more people to get into the business.

Sage focuses on training drivers to get their CDL and can administer the tests. Thropp says companies are reaching out to him with drivers to train, and coming to him with job openings that need filled.

“There is not a day that goes by that we don’t get a call from a trucking company saying we need drivers, and we’re increasing our pay and we’re making it better from a lifestyle standpoint trying to get people home,” Thropp said.

According to the Department of Transportation, 75 percent of the goods in America travel by truck. While the work pays well, Thropp says the industry is trying to address challenges like being a tough job for people with a family and getting more women interested in the work.

636602537209469299-042518-Truckers-ONLINE.png

crossovernegro

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Man, my last barber was a truck driver before he started cutting. ...and going by what he said about himself, he was not a good truck driver. Dude would have the whole shop crackin up from the stories of his fuck ups. Having to ask other drivers to back his shit up sometimes at difficult shopping/receiving docks...getting on certain highways where 18 wheelers weren't allowed and the troopers telling him that they'd help direct him in backing back down the entrance and then give him a bunch of tickets,, but choosing to just go forward and get off at the next exit cause the tickets he'd get that way would be less $$$ :lol:.

Star

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
There is a reason they have a 60% turnover every year. They can not keep people and a always on the lookout for new people

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
Installing Chains On A Semi

Dealt with this BS this morning on Snoqualmie Pass on I-90 coming into Seattle,WA.

Had them things on both drive axles.

Suppose to have a single set drag chain on one of the trailer axles, I ain’t doing all that shit.

HaHa!!! :cool:

HotNixon36

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
It seems like every cat I know is getting his CDL's after doing a stretch in the Fed or State. Must be easy money.

Backshot Bully

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
It seems like every cat I know is getting his CDL's after doing a stretch in the Fed or State. Must be easy money.

good pay and felon friendly, a man can make a living without looking over his shoulders in the streets and can raise a family with a cdl.

not to mention it typically took 3-4 weeks to get certified.:dunno:

RUDY RAYYY MO

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
Hear it's good money especially being an owner/operator but not my thing. Driving long distances dolo nope, being away from fam nope I've done that for 20 yrs as a Air Force vet and have witness the impact on family. 0 patience. Now I wouldn't mind being an delivery driver

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member

I posted on the last page that they getting ready to change getting a CDL in getting one starting in February 2022. That’s one of the reasons folks are rushing to get it or folks who let theirs expire going back and getting it.

No word yet if they gonna push out the date due to what’s going on with the supply chain right now. They came up with the plan pre-pandemic when everything was going great.

RUDY RAYYY MO

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
I posted on the last page that they getting ready to change getting a CDL in getting one starting in February 2022. That’s one of the reasons folks are rushing to get it or folks who let theirs expire going back and getting it.

No word yet if they gonna push out the date due to what’s going on with the supply chain right now. They came up with the plan pre-pandemic when everything was going great.
Too many black folks are taking advantage and building generational wealth. Notice D WHITE MAN always changing the rules in attempt to keep black folk out

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
Hear it's good money especially being an owner/operator but not my thing. Driving long distances dolo nope, being away from fam nope I've done that for 20 yrs as a Air Force vet and have witness the impact on family. 0 patience. Now I wouldn't mind being an delivery driver

Lots of people think OTR is hard and local driving is easier cuz you home everyday.

I pointed out earlier truck driving is not a 9 to 5 job.

You do not work like warehouse workers, McDonalds workers or office workers.

You work under Hours of Service (HOS). It’s a totally different way of working. I posted information on HOS earlier in the thread.

To keep it short, you work a 14hr day and you only have 11hrs to drive during that time. Once that clock hits zero, no matter where you at, that truck shuts down and you have to take a 10hr break. (There are exceptions like sleeper splits, that gets more deeper). And there are no more paper logs like your daddy/granddad had, everything is Electronic Logbook (ELD). You can’t manipulate that thing like paper logbooks.

Being a local driver you have your 10hr break. You have to manage your time with family, doing whatever around your personal life and getting enough sleep when it’s time to report back in after your 10hr to be well rested and alert to operate that Commercial Vehicle (CV) and not fall victim to driver fatigue.

OTR, you operate under your 14hr clock. When you finish the day, wherever you are at, there really isn’t anything to do to distract you from getting rest and you can manage your 10hr better. Also thru-out the day depending on how your day is going and pickup/delivery time, you can take naps in the sleeper which I have done as long as two hours.

You ain’t doing that as a local delivery driver cuz they got you running hard all day to get the maximum amount of work out of you during your shift. Also the truck you have does not have a sleeper to it.

Its one of the things you have to think about. Plenty of times I make pickup/deliveries and local drivers at the docks will approach me questioning OTR and wanting to see inside my truck. It always blows their mind when they see the TV, microwave, fridge and other items in the back while they stuck in a day cab all day.

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member

Also with OTR nowadays, the days of staying out on the road for weeks and months are pretty much non-existent if you a company driver.

There is OTR where you cover the 48 states. And there is OTR regional where you cover a section of the country. The company I work for covers West Coast and we run everything west of I-25 and parts of Texas.

My company mandate is for us to be prepared to stay out for a maximum of 10 days before returning home for a 34hr reset. Rarely and I mean rarely do I stay out that long away from home. Generally I can be home 2 to 3 times a week depending on route/schedule for pickup/delivery. There have been a large number of times I will drive right thru Vegas to get rid of the load quickly to grab my next run for more miles. If I have been home 2 or 3 times within the past week, it’s no issue to bypass the house and keep going.

They also have OTR dedicated routes. You can get a dedicated route just hauling freight between Dallas, TX and Albuquerque, NM. You will be home a lot and make good money doing something like that.

RUDY RAYYY MO

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
Lots of people think OTR is hard and local driving is easier cuz you home everyday.

I pointed out earlier truck driving is not a 9 to 5 job.

You do not work like warehouse workers, McDonalds workers or office workers.

You work under Hours of Service (HOS). It’s a totally different way of working. I posted information on HOS earlier in the thread.

To keep it short, you work a 14hr day and you only have 11hrs to drive during that time. Once that clock hits zero, no matter where you at, that truck shuts down and you have to take a 10hr break. (There are exceptions like sleeper splits, that gets more deeper). And there are no more paper logs like your daddy/granddad had, everything is Electronic Logbook (ELD). You can’t manipulate that thing like paper logbooks.

Being a local driver you have your 10hr break. You have to manage your time with family, doing whatever around your personal life and getting enough sleep when it’s time to report back in after your 10hr to be well rested and alert to operate that Commercial Vehicle (CV) and not fall victim to driver fatigue.

OTR, you operate under your 14hr clock. When you finish the day, wherever you are at, there really isn’t anything to do to distract you from getting rest and you can manage your 10hr better. Also thru-out the day depending on how your day is going and pickup/delivery time, you can take naps in the sleeper which I have done as long as two hours.

You ain’t doing that as a local delivery driver cuz they got you running hard all day to get the maximum amount of work out of you during your shift. Also the truck you have does not have a sleeper to it.

Its one of the things you have to think about. Plenty of times I make pickup/deliveries and local drivers at the docks will approach me questioning OTR and wanting to see inside my truck. It always blows their mind when they see the TV, microwave, fridge and other items in the back while they stuck in a day cab all day.
I hear you bruh, but big rig driving isn't my thing . Some people are born to big rig drive not me. The largest I'm willing to push is UPS type vehicles, which is why I mentioned delivery driver

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
Too many black folks are taking advantage and building generational wealth. Notice D WHITE MAN always changing the rules in attempt to keep black folk out

CDL School And Getting A CDL In 2022
Will It Be More Difficult To Get In 2022?

I posted information on this earlier in the thread.

This cat goes in-depth.