TV Discussion: The Suicide Squad spin-off series Peacemaker ft John Cena Update: Confirmed season 2

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

AgcApq6N7j7uvWZF6k9mtb-970-80.jpg.webp

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
The Suicide Squad spinoff Peacemaker is about to start filming, James Gunn reveals
By Molly Edwards 2 days ago
James Gunn is undergoing a two week quarantine ahead of Peacemaker starting filming

(Image credit: Warner Bros.)
James Gunn’s The Suicide Squad, a soft-reboot/sequel of Suicide Squad, is set to release in 2021. Although a trailer for the movie hasn’t even been released yet, a spin-off focusing on John Cena’s Peacemaker for HBO Max has already been announced.

On Twitter, and reported by Screen Rant, Gunn revealed that the Peacemaker TV show would begin filming very soon: “Lovely gift from my friends at @Xbox (of course it’s in the busiest time of my life, between two movies & a TV show). But perhaps I’ll find some down time as I begin my mandatory two-week quarantine here in Canada for Peacemaker. #XboxSeriesX #Xbox”

@fonzerrillii

The two films Gunn mentions are The Suicide Squad and Marvel threequel Guardians of the Galaxy 3. While we still don’t know much about The Suicide Squad yet, Gunn has revealed that no character is safe in the movie – apparently even Margot Robbie’s Harley Quinn is in danger of not making it out in one piece. Since it hasn’t been confirmed if Peacemaker will be a prequel or a sequel yet, we can’t count on Peacemaker escaping the movie unscathed either.

Peacemaker will consist of eight episodes, with Gunn writing and directing – and Cena co-executive producing. Steve Agee, who plays both Belle Reve warden John Economos and King Shark in The Suicide Squad, will reprise his role of Economos in the series.

Apart from that, we don’t know a whole lot more about the Peacemaker series, as no other casting or plot details have been revealed yet – aside from the fact that Peacemaker will delve into the titular character's origins.

Until Peacemaker arrives sometime in the future, check out our guide to watching DC movies in order so you can get up to date with a movie marathon.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
The Suicide Squad spin-off series Peacemaker adds Orange Is the New Black's Danielle Brooks

Three others, including Terminator 2's Robert Patrick, join the cast.
By Nick Romano
November 11, 2020 at 02:08 PM EST

ADVERTISEMENT
SaveFBTweetMore
CREDIT: MATTHEW EISMAN/GETTY IMAGES
Peacemaker, HBO Max's upcoming TV series based on director James Gunn's The Suicide Squad, has added four newcomers to the cast, including Orange Is the New Black's Danielle Brooks.
Brooks will star opposite John Cena's Peacemaker as Leota Adebayo, EW has learned. She's joined by Terminator 2: Judgment Day actor Robert Patrick as Auggie Smith, Brightburn's Jennifer Holland in her The Suicide Squad role of Emilia Harcourt, and Perpetual Grace actor Chris Conrad as Vigilante (a.k.a. Adrian Chase).
Steve Agee, another face from Gunn's DC Comics-based movie in the role of John Economos, was previously announced to reprise his role for the upcoming show. Further details on casting and characters are being kept under wraps, but Vigilante is a recognizable name from the comics, pointing to the district attorney who became a masked and murderous, well, vigilante after the slayings of his wife and children.
PAID CONTENT

30 and Thriving at JCPenney
Influencer Kyra Knox shares how she reached her #HairGoals in time for her 30th birthday at The Salon by InStyle Inside JCPenney.
From JCPenney
The Suicide Squad is scheduled for theaters on Aug. 6, 2021. The series will further expand the world Gunn presents on the big screen. The filmmaker, who's also juggling his Marvel responsibilities on Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 3, is writing all eight episodes of Peacemaker and will direct multiple episodes. That includes the pilot. Gunn will further executive produce with Cena and Peter Safran.
Peacemaker is scheduled to start filming in early 2021 before Gunn starts shooting the next Guardians of the Galaxy.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
‘The Suicide Squad’ HBO Max Spinoff Series ‘Peacemaker’ Adds Steve Agee
By Anthony D'Alessandro
Anthony D'Alessandro
Editorial Director/Box Office Editor
@AwardsTonyMore Stories By Anthony
October 29, 2020 4:47pm
Services to share this page.
AP
EXCLUSIVE: We can tell you first that Steve Agee, who stars in James Gunn’s upcoming The Suicide Squad movie, is making the jump to the pic’s HBO Max spinoff series Peacemaker starring John Cena.
Warner Bros
I hear that Agee will reprise one of two of his Suicide Squad roles, that of John Economos. The character is a warden of Belle Reve Federal Penitentiary and an aide to Viola Davis’ government character Amanda Waller. Agee is a longtime thespian in Gunn’s canon, having starred in the filmmaker’s Super, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 and his horror feature production Brightburn directed by David Yarovesky. Agee also is playing King Shark in Suicide Squad.

steve-agee-e1604013184525.jpg

Gunn is writing the eight-episode Peacemaker series and directing a number of the episodes. More characters from Gunn’s Suicide Squad could make the jump to the series, which explores the origins of Cena’s Peacemaker character, a guy who believes in peace at any cost — no matter how many people he has to kill to get it.

RELATED STORY
'The Suicide Squad' TV Spinoff 'Peacemaker' Starring John Cena From James Gunn Ordered By HBO Max

2020 HBO Pilots & Series Orders
The Peacemaker was created by Joe Gill and Pat Boyette and first appeared in the Fightin’ 5 series originally owned by Charlton Comics. The first incarnation of Peacemaker was Christopher Smith, a pacifist diplomat and son of a Nazi death camp commandant who founded the Pax Institute, which fights dictators and warlords.
Gunn and The Suicide Squad producer Peter Safran are serving as EPs of Peacemaker, with Cena as co-EP. Peacemaker will be produced by Gunn’s Troll Court Entertainment and the Safran Company in association with Warner Bros Television. It is scheduled to begin shooting early next year before Gunn works on Guardians of the Galaxy: Vol. 3.
The Suicide Squad
currently is scheduled to open in theaters August 6.
Agee’s TV credits include the Netflix animated series Twelve Forever, ABC’s The Conners, NBC’s Superstore, Fox’s New Girl among several others. The comedian was a writer on over 300 episodes of Jimmy Kimmel Live! and will also star in the upcoming Justine Bateman-directed drama Violet. He is repped by 11:11 Entertainment for management and AKA agency.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
‘The Suicide Squad’ TV Spinoff ‘Peacemaker’ Starring John Cena From James Gunn Ordered By HBO Max
By Peter White
Peter White
Television Editor
@peterzwhiteMore Stories By Peter
September 23, 2020 9:30am
9COMMENTS
Warner Bros
HBO Max has called in the Peacemaker – ordering a TV spin-off of James Gunn’s upcoming Suicide Squad movie starring John Cena.
The streamer has handed Peacemaker an eight-episode straight-to-series order for its first season with The Suicide Squad director writing all episodes and directing a number of them.
The show will explore the origins of the character that Cena plays in the 2021 movie.
It marks the latest major DC Comics original on HBO Max and comes after the service revealed it was making a spin-off of Matt Reeves’ upcoming Batman film. DC Universe originals such as Doom Patrol, Harley Quinn, Titans, Swamp Thing, Stargirl, and Young Justice also recently moved to the nascent digital service.

RELATED STORY
'Harley Quinn' Renewed For Season 3 At HBO Max As DC Universe Transitions Out Of Scripted Originals

2020 HBO Max Pilots & Series Orders
Gunn and The Suicide Squad producer Peter Safran will serve as executive producers of the series, with Cena as co-executive producer.
Peacemaker will be produced by Gunn’s Troll Court Entertainment and The Safran Company in association with Warner Bros. Television. Peacemaker is scheduled to begin production in early 2021, prior to Gunn beginning work on the next Guardians of the Galaxy film.
The character, which was created by Joe Gill and Pat Boyette and first appeared in the Fightin’ 5 series originally owned by Charlton Comics, is a man who believes in peace at any cost — no matter how many people he has to kill to get it.
The first incarnation of Peacemaker is Christopher Smith, a pacifist diplomat and son of a Nazi death camp commandant who founded the Pax Institute who fights dictators and warlords.
The TV series will extend the world that Gunn is creating for the feature film, which is scheduled to be released in theaters by Warner Bros. Pictures on August 6, 2021.
It is Cena’s latest TV and film role; the WWE superstar is set to star in F9, the ninth installment of the Fast & Furious action film franchise, and is set to host TBS’ revival of Wipeout.
“James Gunn has the unique ability to create an expansive universe while also bringing to life the soul and wit of each character. We look forward to a deep dive into the world of Peacemaker,” said Casey Bloys, Chief Content Officer for HBO and HBO Max.
James Gunn said, “Peacemaker is an opportunity to delve into current world issues through the lens of this superhero/supervillain/and world’s biggest douchebag. I’m excited to expand The Suicide Squad and bring this character from the DC film universe to the full breadth of a series. And of course, to be able to work again with John, Peter, and my friends at Warner Bros. is the icing on the cake.”

PEACEMAKER_Icon_Twitter_Feed_1200x675.jpg

John Cena added, “I have said before that it has been a tremendous honor and an incredible opportunity to be part of The Suicide Squad and to work with James on what is going to be a fantastic movie. I am unbelievably excited to have the chance to team up with him again for Peacemaker. We can’t wait for fans to see this.”

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

Robert-Patrick-Jennifer-Holland-Chris-Conrad.jpg

‘Peacemaker’: Robert Patrick, Jennifer Holland & Chris Conrad Also Join HBO Max ‘Suicide Squad’ Spinoff Series
By Anthony D'Alessandro
Anthony D'Alessandro
Editorial Director/Box Office Editor
@AwardsTonyMore Stories By Anthony
November 11, 2020 11:00am
(L-R) Robert Patrick, Jennifer Holland and Chris ConradCourtesy of Manfred Baumann; Dana Patrick; Helen Palmaira
Following the news today that Danielle Brooks has boarded the HBO Max The Suicide Squad spinoff series Peacemaker, we also can tell you that Robert Patrick, Jennifer Holland and Chris Conrad are joining as well.
Patrick will play the role of Auggie Smith; Conrad will portray The Vigilante/Adrian Chase; and Holland will reprise her Suicide Squad character from the upcoming movie, NSA agent Emilia Harcourt, who works with A.R.G.U.S. to monitor the Suicide Squad.
Vigilante is a hand-to-hand combatant, a brilliant marksman and a master of the lariat. He was a New York City DA who sought justice in his own way as his alter ego after his wife and kids were killed by mobsters. Vigilante also has the ability to heal quickly and regenerate his body from injuries as serious as stabbings or gunshot wounds. On the CW series Arrow, Josh Segarra played Adrian Chase’s live-action debut as two different depictions

RELATED STORY
'Orange Is The New Black' Star Danielle Brooks Joins HBO Max ‘Suicide Squad’ Spinoff Series ‘Peacemaker’

Patrick, Holland, Conrad and Brooks join previously announced stars John Cena, who is playing the series title role based on his character in the upcoming Gunn movie, and Steve Agee, who is also reprising his character from the film, John Economos. The Warner Bros. title which is set to open on August 6.
2020 HBO Max Pilots & Series Orders
Gunn is writing all eight episodes of Peacemaker and directing many episodes, including the first. Gunn and Peter Safran will serve as executive producers of the series, with Cena as co-executive producer. The DC series is produced by Gunn’s Troll Court Entertainment and The Safran Company in association with Warner Bros. Television. Cameras roll early next year. Peacemaker will explore the origins of the character that Cena will play in the upcoming Gunn movie, a man who believes in peace at any cost — no matter how many people he has to kill to get it.
Patrick is repped by The Coronel Group, Gersh and attorney Jeff Frankel; Holland is repped by Atlas Artists and CAA; and Conrad is repped by Kim Callahan at Industry Entertainment and attorney Derek Kroeger at Myman Greenspan.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
TBS to air Wipeout special featuring The Suicide Squad cast

By Marcus Jones
June 30, 2021 at 03:26 PM EDT

If there is one group that can coach Wipeout contestants through their ill-advised attempts at conquering the shows obstacle course — complete with the infamous big balls — it's The Suicide Squad.

On Wednesday, TBS announced its hit reality competition will have a one-hour crossover special with the upcoming superhero action adventure, with host John Cena (who also happens to star in the film as Peacemaker) introducing his co-host Nicole Byer to the film's writer/director James Gunn. See the teaser above.

As the group is joined in the field by host Camille Kostek, the episode will also feature cameos from The Suicide Squad cast members Nathan Fillion, Joel Kinnaman, David Dastmalchian, and Daniela Melchior encouraging another set of teams battling it out for $25,000.
The special episode will serve as a climax to the TNets' (TBS, TNT, truTV) Summer With Your Squad weekend programming event, which kicks off July 30 in support of the premiere of The Suicide Squad on Aug. 6 in theaters and on HBO Max.
Wipeout: The Suicide Squad Special airs on TBS on Sunday, Aug. 1 at 9 p.m. ET.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

John Cena says Peacemaker TV show 'turns up the volume on anything you see in The Suicide Squad'

The spin-off series premieres in January on HBO Max.
By Clark Collis
July 14, 2021 at 09:33 AM EDT

Among the many characters who will be introduced to cinema audiences with The Suicide Squad (out in theaters and on HBO Max Aug. 6) is John Cena's Peacemaker, undoubtedly one of the most dangerous, and just plain weird, supervillains ever to (dis)grace the big screen.
"The Peacemaker is an interesting character because his ego seems contradictory," says the wrestler and actor. "He is this guy who has developed this philosophy and he can use it as a blanket to behave badly: 'I am doing this thing that is morally wrong but I am doing it in the name of peace so it's okay.' He views himself as a superhero but I think a lot of us would watch his actions and think that they're morally wrong. In WWE I always try to get people to describe their characters in one sentence and I think that one sentence [for the Peacemaker is] 'He wants peace so much he's willing to kill for it.'" Also? As Idris Elba's character Bloodsport points out in the film's R-rated trailer, Peacemaker wears a helmet that resembles a toilet seat. "I loved it because it is so memorable," says Cena. "The first time I put on that helmet, man, it was like, right, I'm going to rock this!"

John Cena as Peacemaker in 'The Suicide Squad.'
| CREDIT: WARNER BROS. PICTURES
The Suicide Squad writer-director James Gunn initially thought of casting his Guardians of the Galaxy star Dave Bautista as the Peacemaker. When the actor opted instead to play the lead in Zack Snyder's Army of the Dead, the director handpicked Cena for the role. "I truly believe that in life we don't find opportunity, it finds us," says the actor. "I didn't look at myself as a second choice; I just looked at it as a chance to do the best I could." According to Gunn, Cena proved a revelation during the film's shoot. "He was a bit of a risk," says the filmmaker. "I'm hiring someone without auditioning. But he came in on the first day and just slayed and ended up being the best improvisational actor I've ever worked with in my life."
Gunn was so inspired by his collaboration with Cena that he decided to foreground his character in a Peacemaker spin-off TV show, which the pair have spent the pandemic shooting in Canada, and will premiere on HBO Max in January.
"Other than having to do it during times of COVID, it's been a complete joy," says Gunn of the show. "There's so many things I love about filmmaking, but with a TV show, you really are able to breathe. so it's so fun and so comfortable. I love these characters and you can really get to know these characters in a nuanced way. It's also giving me a way to deal with some things politically that are going on in the world."

"I would venture to say that Peacemaker actually turns up the volume on anything that you see in The Suicide Squad," says Cena. "I want people to enjoy The Suicide Squad and I really think they will. Once they get a feel for these characters they're going to want more and that's where Peacemaker picks up."

therealjondoe

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
So the movie was aight.
Wasnt as good as I thought it would be.
I guess I went in with high expectations.
Idris was good
John Cena was surprisingly good
I think I've had my fill of Harley Quinn
Some of the jokes fell flat.
I started to get a little sleepy near the end
I guess I'd give it a B.

stizz3000

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
That character is dumb.....and James Gunn is a bit overrated. Movie was boring.....they bamboozled us wit the rotten tomatoes shit. Even Idris couldn't save this corny shit.....why was I nodding off?

stizz3000

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
First off, I'm not a DC fan. So please excuse me when I say that this is the dumbest corniest cheesiest piece of shit I've ever seen in my life. I dont get it. I cant even finish it :dunno:

Yo, I really wanted to like this shit

jasonblacc

Rising Star
Registered
So the movie was aight.
Wasnt as good as I thought it would be.
I guess I went in with high expectations.
Idris was good
John Cena was surprisingly good
I think I've had my fill of Harley Quinn
Some of the jokes fell flat.
I started to get a little sleepy near the end
I guess I'd give it a B.
Your grades n summary don’t match p

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

Peacemaker first look reveals John Cena's new squad

The Suicide Squad director James Gunn previews the HBO Max spin-off series.
By Clark Collis
September 13, 2021 at 12:00 PM EDT

'The Suicide Squad' trailer (Video courtesy Warner Bros.)
Director James Gunn was in postproduction on The Suicide Squad when he came up with the idea for a TV show about one of the movie's many characters who "we didn't get to know as well" as some of the others: John Cena's supervillain Peacemaker, whose "superpower" is a willingness to commit terrible acts in the name of peace. "I loved the 1970s Captain America [TV movie] when I was a kid," says Gunn, "I thought making a really f---ed-up version of that with Peacemaker would be fun."
The problem? (WARNING: Massive The Suicide Squad spoilers follow, so look away if you have yet to see the film.) In his big-screen tale about a group of convicts sent on a dangerous mission by Viola Davis' Amanda Waller, Gunn had killed off Peacemaker — and the director is not a fan of characters apparently dying and then being brought back to life. Eventually, he overcame his reservations and added a post-credits scene to The Suicide Squad where two of Waller's underlings, Jennifer Holland's Harcourt and Steve Agee's Economos, visit a comatose but alive Peacemaker in the hospital. "I did exactly the thing I hate when other filmmakers do [it]," admits Gunn. "But I did it! I'll have to live with the repercussions, which is the most incredible TV show people will ever see."

Economos (Steve Agee), Harcourt (Jennifer Holland), Murn (Chukwudi Iwuji), Adebayo (Danielle Brooks), Vigilante (Freddie Stroma), and Peacemaker (John Cena).

| CREDIT: KATIE YU/HBO MAX
The eight-episode HBO Max series, which premieres in January, centers on "black ops combating something catastrophic that's facing the planet," Gunn says, leading Peacemaker, Harcourt, and Economos to team up with three new characters. Chukwudi Iwuji is group leader Murn (a mercenary under Waller), while Freddie Stroma plays popular comics character Vigilante. "You may not have guessed it," quips Gunn, "but his character is a vigilante!" Danielle Brooks plays sixth team member Adebayo. "She isn't always treated the best by the people around her, but despite her differences with Peacemaker, they form a bond," he explains.
Gunn, who wrote all of Peacemaker and directed five episodes, will spend much of the next year making the third of his Guardians of the Galaxy movies, but reveals he would be happy to return to the show if it proves a success. "I would like to do a season 2," he says. "They just have to tell me that they want to do it."

Al Smith

Rogue Mod
OG Investor
I was a fan of Vigilante when I was younger.. they're trying to make him "Deadpool-ish" for running humor piece in this series.. yet I'll give it a try..

tebriel69

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I know DC does a lot of trash outside of Batman or the animated series. And as far as acting goes cena is for sure no Dwayne transfer. Saw suicide squad. It wasn’t horrible. Not completely amazing either. That said, I started this last night and LAUGHED my ass off. The way Cena goes into these snarky, completely inappropriate rants is hilarious to me. The exchange between the janitor for instance. This type of slapstick comedy infused with the majority of characters sticking to be serious just seems to work. I’m just sorry it’s only 8 episodes. Hoping it’s well received enough to get a few more seasons.