TV News: Netflix - The Upshaws starring Wanda Sykes, Mike Epps & Kim Fields

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Wanda Sykes and Mike Epps hilariously butt heads in first look at Netflix's The Upshaws

EW has the exclusive first look at the blended family comedy debuting May 12.
By Marcus Jones
March 16, 2021 at 02:00 PM EDT

ADVERTISEMENT
SaveFBTweetMore
Diamond Lyons, Journey Christine, and Khali Spraggins star in Netflix's 'The Upshaws' with Wanda Sykes and Mike Epps.

| CREDIT: LISA ROSE/NETFLIX
Comedians Wanda Sykes and Mike Epps are bringing the laughter as bickering in-laws on the upcoming Netflix sitcom The Upshaws, and EW has the exclusive first look at the family comedy.
Sykes, a scene stealer on everything from Curb Your Enthusiasm to Black-ish, created the show with writer Regina Hicks, who has spent decades behind the scenes writing for iconic Black sitcoms like Sister, Sister, Girlfriends, and Insecure.

Mike Epps, Wanda Sykes, and Page Kennedy star on Netflix sitcom 'The Upshaws'.

| CREDIT: LISA ROSE/NETFLIX
The pair both serve as showrunners on The Upshaws, which centers on a Black working class family in the midwest making it work through shaky times and a knotty family dynamic. They also executive produce the series with Epps, Niles Kirchner, and Page Hurwitz of Push It Productions.

Mike Epps and Kim Fields play a couple on Netflix's 'The Upshaws'.

| CREDIT: LARA SOLANKI/NETFLIX
Taking place in Indianapolis, the show follows charismatic patriarch Bennie Upshaw (Epps), who manages to hold things down as a car mechanic with his own shop, but is still working on balancing being a good husband to his wife Regina (Kim Fields), and being a good father to the son he had outside his marriage with a woman named Tasha (Gabrielle Dennis).
Kim Fields and Wanda Sykes play sisters on Netflix's 'The Upshaws'.

Sykes plays Regina's sister Lucretia, who is fed up with her brother-in-law seemingly squeaking by without any consequences. She pairs well with Regina and Bennie's eldest son Bernard (Jermelle Simon), born when his parents were still teens, who's not the biggest fan now of his neglectful father.

Mike Epps and Jermelle Simon play father and son on 'The Upshaws,' a new sitcom on Netflix.

Bennie does alright though with his young daughters Aaliyah (Khali Spraggins) and Maya (Journey Christine), and even his break baby Kelvin (Diamond Lyons), who's now a teen close in age to Aaliyah.
Wanda Sykes, Kim Fields, and Mike Epps try to salvage a kids birthday party on Netflix's 'The Upshaws'.

With his ex-con, newly religious friend Duck (Page Kennedy) to help him out as well, Bennie is determined to keep the peace, and make it to the next level as one big happy family.
See exclusive first-look photos of the series above.
The Upshaws premieres on Wednesday, May 12 on Netflix.

The Plutonian

The Anti Bullshitter
BGOL Investor
Last edited:

dasailr03

A Goddamn Sailor!
BGOL Investor

Shaka54

FKA Shaka38
Platinum Member
Thanks for the heads up. I happened to notice it in the banner in the early a.m. but I didn't watch the trailer.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Fields was a main character in two sitcoms that lasted a combined fifteen years, if there's another Black actress with a better tv resume I can't think of her. Who would say is a more successful tv actress?

I don't think there is one

I don't know if you talking lead, supporting or guest.

Marla Gibbs comes to mind

some black soap opera actresses were on the same show for decades...

But I think Tootie wins.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
You're right I forgot about Gibbs, very close between the two of them, both were in the main cast of tv shows for about the same length of time but Gibbs has been nominated and won more awards for her tv work than Fields so Gibbs may have the edge.

You know what?

What about how about tisha campbell?

You talking tv and movies

Little shop of horrors rags to riches martin house party school daze my wife and kids and Dr. Ken right?

Now who messing with THAT?

and then remember Freddie from a different world has done literally hundreds of voice over projects like Phil Lamar.

What is really annoying?

How many lesser talented white actors have gotten bigger and better opportunities

TimRock

Don't let me be misunderstood
BGOL Investor
You know what?

You talking to tv and movies

Little shop of horrors rags to riches martin house party school daze my wife and kids and Dr. Ken right?

Now who messing with THAT?

and then remember Freddie from a different world has done literally hundreds of voice over projects like Phil Lamar.

What is really annoying?

How many lesser talented white actors have gotten bigger and better opportunities
Nah, Kim was in Good Times, Mork n Mindy, and Different strokes. Then facts of life. Her tv resume is better than Tisha's. Too many classics, and even made an appearance on Martin, Roc, Fresh Prince.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Nah, Kim was in Good Times, Mork n Mindy, and Different strokes. Then facts of life. Her tv resume is better than Tisha's. Too many classics, and even made an appearance on Martin, Roc, Fresh Prince.

Facts

Just had to mention her cause I don't really hear her mentioned in these convos

doug777

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
You know what?

You talking tv and movies

Now who messing with THAT

What is really annoying?

We're talking about the most successful Black television actress, just tv work.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
We're talking about the most successful Black television actress, just tv work.

So I'm sticking with Kim.

But Marla and Tisha needed to be recognized

But I feel like we forgetting someone obvious...

Just can't think right now.