TV News: Netflix - The Upshaws starring Wanda Sykes, Mike Epps & Kim Fields

tekwehuself

Immigrant Expat
International Member
makes me imagine of all the classic black sitcoms had cursing in it....

martin
sanford and son
the jefferesons
fresh prince of bel air
a different world
roc
good times
whats happenin

dude..that shit would have been off the chain:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao: especially in the episodes where real cursing was warranted!

Closest we got with 'hard language' was Honkey in Jeffersons.

Good tines for sure would have had a bunch of cussing.. That shit needed it

doug777

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I know I'm late to the discussion, and this does need its own thread, but Regina King has won 4 Emmy Awards. This may make her the most successful in television.
King has an impressive television resume and awards are great but I think King's TV work falls a little behind Gibbs, Fields, and Arnold.

smoothly1

Star
BGOL Investor
King has an impressive television resume and awards are great but I think King's TV work falls a little behind Gibbs, Fields, and Arnold.
It's a good debate. I could make an argument for King, Gibbs or Fields but not not so much for Arnold. Tichina is a fantastic comedic actress but she has not been the lead in any of her projects. I mean King, Gibbs and Fields are legends, I can't bring myself to call Arnold a legend yet. As an aside, Marla Gibbs was the sole lead of a sitcom in the mid 80s, for a black woman that was huge. She does not get enough credit.

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Has Kim Fields had the most successful career for a Black actress in television history?
Okay I watched this debate and heres my take:

1. whats the criteria for most successful cause thats pretty broad and any working actress you name falls into that.

2. are we talking about black women kim fields age?? or has worked since childhood?? cuz cats been naming just about every black actress you can think of no matter how old...

3. are we going by critical acclaim and awards won?

cuz if its the last one then Regina King is queen by a looong shot.... :lol:

KIM%2BFIELDS.png

TICHINA.png

REGINA.png

:itsawrap::itsawrap::itsawrap:

Last edited:

DJ

BGOL Legend
Certified Pussy Poster
Yes he is

Stand up maybe not
But put him in a comedy role and he’s funny as fuck

all about the Benjamin’s and Friday 2 he’s funny

I agree but he aint funny in this series

Yo. That show is fucking horrible. It looks like a bootleg Tyler Perry show. The set pieces are cheaper than the dialog.
I agree, straight trash
Man i thought this shit was gonna be trash and i gave it a shot... pretty well written.. i enjoyed it a lot seems like real world shit...

Stick with your first thought

I am just here to say that Kim Fields has had not 1 but 2 breast reductions... and those thangs are still THANGin

Its called a bra

just started watching show is funny
im already afraid they gone turn his oldest gay
these show have to have someone gay

Yep, and the show was already garbage, had to throw more garbage on top of it.

doug777

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Okay I watched this debate and heres my take:

1. whats the criteria for most successful cause thats pretty broad and any working actress you name falls into that.
I look at how major of a character the actress is playing and the length of time they played it. Both Gibbs and Fields played major characters on two different sitcoms for about fifteen years, with that being about even then I'll look at awards, and because Gibb's is more decorated in that area I'll give her the slight edge over Fields.

knightmelodic

American fruit, Afrikan root.
BGOL Investor
Wanda Sykes is funny. Mike Epps has never been funny. Kim Fields is an okay actress but the preview I saw of this show was dreadful. Every stereotypical "joke" and character you've seen over the last 50 years all in one clip.

Mt. Yukon

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Wanda Sykes is funny. Mike Epps has never been funny. Kim Fields is an okay actress but the preview I saw of this show was dreadful. Every stereotypical "joke" and character you've seen over the last 50 years all in one clip.

I started yesterday waiting for the playoffs to start... It was aight. Not terrible, not ground breaking either. Straight series to binge when aint shit else on. While I understand how sensitive we are about our image and stereotypical shit being put on screen... Is there/can there be room for shit we like just cause its easy watch???

knightmelodic

BGOL Investor
I started yesterday waiting for the playoffs to start... It was aight. Not terrible, not ground breaking either. Straight series to binge when aint shit else on. While I understand how sensitive we are about our image and stereotypical shit being put on screen... Is there/can there be room for shit we like just cause its easy watch???

I don't think so. Too many times we've let the fish off the hook. Has to be zero tolerance. Just like the jews and the holocaust.

smoothly1

Star
BGOL Investor
I look at how major of a character the actress is playing and the length of time they played it. Both Gibbs and Fields played major characters on two different sitcoms for about fifteen years, with that being about even then I'll look at awards, and because Gibb's is more decorated in that area I'll give her the slight edge over Fields.
Gibbs deserves her flowers because Florence Johnston is an all time great supporting character and what she did as the lead of 227 as a black woman in the mid 80s is historic (along with Nell Carter "Give me a Break"). However, when I look back at Regina King's resume it is incredible. Excluding film work look at it: 227, Southland, The Leftovers, The Boondocks, American Crime, Seven Seconds and Watchmen. 4 emmy awards, two supporting and 2 lead actress. And she is still only 50, there is no telling what else she might do. I think Regina is the GOAT.

Her only knock may be that she did not play any one character for a great length of time but she was Brenda Jenkins just as long as Gibbs was Mary Jenkins so I don't know. Also, with 227, The Boondoocks and Watchmen her impact on the culture is as strong as Gibbs and Fields.

Last edited:

TimRock

Don't let me be misunderstood
BGOL Investor
Gibbs deserves her flowers because Florence Johnston is an all time great supporting character and what she did as the lead of 227 as a black woman in the mid 80s is historic (along with Nell Carter "Give me a Break"). However, when I look back at Regina King's resume it is incredible. Excluding film work look at it: Good Times, 227, Southland, The Leftovers, The Boondocks, American Crime, Seven Seconds and Watchmen. 4 emmy awards, two supporting and 2 lead actress. And she is still only 50, there is no telling what else she might do. I think Regina is the GOAT.

Her only knock may be that she did not play any one character for a great length of time but she was Brenda Jenkins just as long as Gibbs was Mary Jenkins so I don't know. Also, with Goodtimes, 227, The Boondoocks and Watchmen her impact on the culture is as strong as Gibbs and Fields.
when was Regina on Good Times? I know Kim was, but i don't remember seeing Regina.

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I don't think so. Too many times we've let the fish off the hook. Has to be zero tolerance. Just like the jews and the holocaust.
then you can't have situation comedy because that's all about exaggerated characters.

If the Upshaws was white cast you would ignore it but a black cast and you see all kinds of stereotypical flaws...

knightmelodic

BGOL Investor
then you can't have situation comedy because that's all about exaggerated characters.

If the Upshaws was white cast you would ignore it but a black cast and you see all kinds of stereotypical flaws...

There is so much wrong with this.

First of all SITUATION comedy has nothing to do with racial stereotypes. It's the SITUATION that provides the laughs (hopefully).

Secondly, you don't know what I would do so don't presume to speak for me. If I find it funny I'll watch, if not I won't. But I do not find racial stereotypes funny. Never have, never will. Because you see, I'm smart enough to know that what's presented as "humor" is just another way of reinforcing the negative perception of Blacks. Other races too but I'm not concerned about them.

And yeah, I see flaws, mainly because it's not funny and racial stereotypes are the low-hanging fruit of comedy. Only racists or people too stupid to know they're being made fun of think that shit is funny.

gil919

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Wanda Sykes and Mike Epps hilariously butt heads in first look at Netflix's The Upshaws

EW has the exclusive first look at the blended family comedy debuting May 12.
By Marcus Jones
March 16, 2021 at 02:00 PM EDT

ADVERTISEMENT
SaveFBTweetMore
Diamond Lyons, Journey Christine, and Khali Spraggins star in Netflix's 'The Upshaws' with Wanda Sykes and Mike Epps.

| CREDIT: LISA ROSE/NETFLIX
Comedians Wanda Sykes and Mike Epps are bringing the laughter as bickering in-laws on the upcoming Netflix sitcom The Upshaws, and EW has the exclusive first look at the family comedy.
Sykes, a scene stealer on everything from Curb Your Enthusiasm to Black-ish, created the show with writer Regina Hicks, who has spent decades behind the scenes writing for iconic Black sitcoms like Sister, Sister, Girlfriends, and Insecure.

Mike Epps, Wanda Sykes, and Page Kennedy star on Netflix sitcom 'The Upshaws'.

| CREDIT: LISA ROSE/NETFLIX
The pair both serve as showrunners on The Upshaws, which centers on a Black working class family in the midwest making it work through shaky times and a knotty family dynamic. They also executive produce the series with Epps, Niles Kirchner, and Page Hurwitz of Push It Productions.

Mike Epps and Kim Fields play a couple on Netflix's 'The Upshaws'.

| CREDIT: LARA SOLANKI/NETFLIX
Taking place in Indianapolis, the show follows charismatic patriarch Bennie Upshaw (Epps), who manages to hold things down as a car mechanic with his own shop, but is still working on balancing being a good husband to his wife Regina (Kim Fields), and being a good father to the son he had outside his marriage with a woman named Tasha (Gabrielle Dennis).
Kim Fields and Wanda Sykes play sisters on Netflix's 'The Upshaws'.

Sykes plays Regina's sister Lucretia, who is fed up with her brother-in-law seemingly squeaking by without any consequences. She pairs well with Regina and Bennie's eldest son Bernard (Jermelle Simon), born when his parents were still teens, who's not the biggest fan now of his neglectful father.

Mike Epps and Jermelle Simon play father and son on 'The Upshaws,' a new sitcom on Netflix.

Bennie does alright though with his young daughters Aaliyah (Khali Spraggins) and Maya (Journey Christine), and even his break baby Kelvin (Diamond Lyons), who's now a teen close in age to Aaliyah.
Wanda Sykes, Kim Fields, and Mike Epps try to salvage a kids birthday party on Netflix's 'The Upshaws'.

With his ex-con, newly religious friend Duck (Page Kennedy) to help him out as well, Bennie is determined to keep the peace, and make it to the next level as one big happy family.
See exclusive first-look photos of the series above.
The Upshaws premieres on Wednesday, May 12 on Netflix.
This is a funny show ..had me :roflmao::roflmao::lol2:went to Netflix and watched all of the first season ...good comedy .

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
There is so much wrong with this.

First of all SITUATION comedy has nothing to do with racial stereotypes. It's the SITUATION that provides the laughs (hopefully).

Secondly, you don't know what I would do so don't presume to speak for me. If I find it funny I'll watch, if not I won't. But I do not find racial stereotypes funny. Never have, never will. Because you see, I'm smart enough to know that what's presented as "humor" is just another way of reinforcing the negative perception of Blacks. Other races too but I'm not concerned about them.

And yeah, I see flaws, mainly because it's not funny and racial stereotypes are the low-hanging fruit of comedy. Only racists or people too stupid to know they're being made fun of think that shit is funny.
break down what you find stereotypical in the show?