Well DAMN! Black Star Power: Michael Jordan donates $2M to help community-police relations

ankhheru

BGOL Investor
Donates 2mil to Community-Police Relations, which was launched in May by the International Association of Chiefs of Police, and the NAACP Legal Defense Fund?...Kool..that 2mil will buy another 20yrs of the same b.s..

You know that where you put your Money doesn't matter. It's what you say with a sincere tear. Your suppose to over look where the money goes and pay attention to the kind words of support. After all when has money towards a cause ever helped anything?

Confucius

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
People who grew up in the era when Jordan was the man as a player knows this is huge because he never said anything during that time. L. A. riots happen during that time and crack was destroying our community and you heard nothing from him. I'm glad MJ finally spoke out.
its huge, but he has been quiet for way too long

LSN

Phat booty lover.
BGOL Investor
13592839_1317678518259907_1532924829138039038_n.jpg

what shit is this lol???

Give Me 3ft.

The Supreme Being
Platinum Member
he just won a lawsuit recently &

donated the 8.9million judgement to i think 23 different charities.

and i recently read he did not/does not invest in prisions.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
I salute mj

But I do not want his friends fan boys and sycophants to make it out like he is now

MLK.

this is a wonderful FIRST step.

At least publicly

We will see what ELSE he chooses to say or do as things progress or digress whichever the case may be.

This don't erase 30 years Carmelo is right.

FISHGREASE

Star
Registered
he just won a lawsuit recently &

donated the 8.9million judgement to i think 23 different charities.

and i recently read he did not/does not invest in prisions.
Glad one of my brothers chimed in on this. He's an asshole in person. Knowledged it myself. Worst than you in the 90's God. Peace

Black Radical

Rising Star
Registered
I can almost guarantee someone will have something negative to say
Hi. :laptop:. This isn't negative necassarily its more of a clarification.

If Jordan released a limited edition sneaker where proceeds would go to the Black families effected by police violence...

this dude would COMPLETELY change the narrative of his legacy as a Black man in our community as a whole.
Ok, lets slow down a bit. He's a LOOOOOONG way from doing anything like that. I'd like to put this into perspective.

This 'speaking out' that hes doing is really not speaking out at all. You cannot speak out, or take a stand if you haven't risked anything or offended anyone. He has basically said:

People r dying and thats sad. I want people to stop dying. Black ppl & the police. He actually
used much stronger language for the police deaths.

His wording is very careful to blame no one, this is no ones fault, and his money went to NAACP and a Police Organization that:
among other troubling positions, opposes the demilitarization of police departments, wants to continue the United States' failed "war on drugs" and opposes rollbacks on civil asset forfeiture, a policy that lets police officers take, keep and sell property from people they allege — but don't have to prove — are involved in crimes.
This was the safest, softest middle of the roadest thing he couldve done. Its Michael Jordan being Michael Jordan. Obama who does ALOT of equivocating on racial matters is more direct in his talks about these things. MJ did it this way to appear to be doing something while doing much of nothing. Talking about fixing police-community relations is a cop talking point that intentionally diverts attention from the issue which is a racist system that doesnt prosecute racist police when they kill black people. It has nothing, zero, zilch to do with police-community relations. Eric Garner, Alton Smith, Philando Castile, Rekia Boyd and all the rest were not killed because of a lack of dialogue between cops and community. They were not killed because of some fault on both sides, they were killed because of racist cops doing too fucking much and a racist system protected them after the fact. If cops aint going to jail, and police unions or officers themselves aren't paying these settlements, racist white supremacist cops still getting hired or fired and picked up by other PDs, aint no amount of community police relations gonna resolve this.

I am not impressed simply because he set the bar so incredibly low by doing nothing for the 30 years hes been in the limelight.

Last edited:

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
So it begins...

my BGOL NY/NJ crew

listen to Boomer and Carton this morning.

(unfortunately the Lyft driver was playing them)

And listen to how THEY are already trying to tear it down

and with the slickness

They saying the POLICE ORGANIZATION that Jordan choose was bad

:lol:

why didn't he donate to the Police Athletic League they have already done so much work THEY deserved more

NEVER discussed the ACTUAL ISSUE of bad cops

ONCE

but criticized MJ and Melo the entire time

and a Black kid actually called in...

and they tried so hard they bull 2 hammys to make it seem like they were just being unbiased

these cacs I tell you...

doubt it will be on the podcast though, I gonna listen to find out

http://www1.play.it/audio/boomer-carton/

do NOT give them one single sliver of an inch from now on.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
http://www.mrctv.org/videos/around-horn-michael-jordan

Host: Let's start with Michael Jordan saying he can no longer stay silent, speaking out on shootings of African-Americans and the targeting of police and racial tensions in America on the undefeated. And said if we can come together as Americans and improve peaceful dialogue and education, and he's donating $1 million each for the institute for community-police relations and the NAACP legal defense fund. Frank, you've read this. What do you think of it?

Frank Isola: Well, I think -- I don't think it could hurt. How much it would help, I'm not so sure. Michael Jordan as a 20-year-old, as a 30-year-old saying something along these lines, I think it would have a little bit more of an impact. But he is putting money behind it, which is important. This all started with Carmelo Anthony, who wears the Michael Jordan gear, saying what he said on Instagram and also in the garden. I think for Michael Jordan, I think it's important, yes, he's taking a stand. But he's not picking sides in this. I think if people want Michael Jordan to stand there and be anti-police, that's not going to happen. Number one, his father was a murder victim. So I think Michael Jordan is very sensitive and he knows what other families are going through. When it comes to the police, the Chicago bulls have employed a former Chicago P.D. Officers in the past. Michael Jordan was friendly with them. No way that Michael Jordan is going to stand there, nor should he, and be anti-police. He's not going to do that.

Host: Kevin Blackistone?

Kevin Blackistone: But you don't have to be anti-police to understand what the situation is. I'm hard-pressed to find out how you can be emotionally moved by the extra judicial killings of black men in this country and then cut a check for $1 million to the police. The police aren't in need of funding when it comes to this situation. I mean, you're talking about a city like the city of Baltimore, which is paid out over $12 million in settlements for police brutality lawsuits between 2010 and 2014. If they had policed their communities a lot better and treated black people a lot more humanely, then they would have a lot more money to spend for their police department. And as far as giving money to the defense fund of the NAACP, which basically was borne out of Thurgood Marshall back in the 1940's, why not give the black lives matter a legal arm and fund and seed some funding to start that as a new civil rights movement for a new era and a new century?

Host: Israel Gutierrez?

Israel Gutierrez: Kevin, I understand what you're saying. I also don't know -- I understand that he is Michael Jordan. But what do you expect him to do? I know what you just said, in terms of, you know, things may be taking more of a stance or giving the money to other places. But here we've got Michael Jordan, arguably the most popular athlete we've known in this country, not necessarily taking a stand but speaking on the issue and doing something productive. And, you know, the climate that we're in right now doesn't really lend itself to really people listening very well. And if you take an extreme side, or one side altogether, you're more often creating an argument rather than a discussion. The final goal remains what Michael Jordan says, unifying, sort of getting rid of profiling and getting the police to understand better and getting, you know, African-American communities to possibly community better with police. Whatever the case may be, the goal remains the same. While Michael Jordan may not have done the perfect thing here, it still stands as a very meaningful, you know, support of the situation.

Host: And Bill Plaschke?

Bill Plaschke: Yeah. I was also impressed with it. You know, it was a statement for unity. He cut two checks for unity. Basically the four high-profile NBA players on the -- NBA players on the night of the ESPY's, it was what they said but he put $2 million behind it. I think this sends the world a message about how this country is trying to unify and get together on this issue. And, again, I think in the wake of the horrible African-American killings, on the other side, the police killings in Dallas and Baton Rouge and other places, I think this was an important step for both sides for unity. That's what we need, really good move from Michael Jordan.

Host: Kevin, can you expand on some of the comments you made earlier?

Kevin Blackistone: Sure. You know, if I could talk to Michael Jordan, I would say, why don't you talk to Haines underwear, who you represent, and talk to them about bringing back some of the 30 plants they closed down in the early 2000’s and outsourced those jobs overseas and bring them back to areas around urban America where maybe young black kids can get better jobs and not like you saw with Eric Gardner in New York have to sell looseys on the sidewalk in order to pay his family. I think those things would have a far more reaching impact on this situation than $2 million given to either of those institutions.

sharkbait28

Unionize & Prepare For Automation
International Member
Hi. :laptop:. This isn't negative necassarily its more of a clarification.

Ok, lets slow down a bit. He's a LOOOOOONG way from doing anything like that. I'd like to put this into perspective.

This 'speaking out' that hes doing is really not speaking out at all. You cannot speak out, or take a stand if you haven't risked anything or offended anyone. He has basically said:

People r dying and thats sad. I want people to stop dying. Black ppl & the police. He actually
used much stronger language for the police deaths.

His wording is very careful to blame no one, this is no ones fault, and his money went to NAACP and a Police Organization that:

This was the safest, softest middle of the roadest thing he couldve done. Its Michael Jordan being Michael Jordan. Obama who does ALOT of equivocating on racial matters is more direct in his talks about these things. MJ did it this way to appear to be doing something while doing much of nothing. Talking about fixing police-community relations is a cop talking point that intentionally diverts attention from the issue which is a racist system that doesnt prosecute racist police when they kill black people. It has nothing, zero, zilch to do with police-community relations. Eric Garner, Alton Smith, Philando Castile, Rekia Boyd and all the rest were not killed because of a lack of dialogue between cops and community. They were not killed because of some fault on both sides, they were killed because of racist cops doing too fucking much and a racist system protected them after the fact. If cops aint going to jail, and police unions or officers themselves aren't paying these settlements, racist white supremacist cops still getting hired or fired and picked up by other PDs, aint no amount of community police relations gonna resolve this.

I am not impressed simply because he set the bar so incredibly low by doing nothing for the 30 years hes been in the limelight.

Well said sir. :cool:

mangobob79

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Talking about fixing police-community relations is a cop talking point that intentionally diverts attention from the issue which is a racist system that doesnt prosecute racist police when they kill black people. It has nothing, zero, zilch to do with police-community relations. Eric Garner, Alton Smith, Philando Castile, Rekia Boyd and all the rest were not killed because of a lack of dialogue between cops and community. They were not killed because of some fault on both sides, they were killed because of racist cops doing too fucking much and a racist system protected them after the fact. If cops aint going to jail, and police unions or officers themselves aren't paying these settlements, racist white supremacist cops still getting hired or fired and picked up by other PDs, aint no amount of community police relations gonna resolve this

there u have it

Pworld297

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Yea.

Im a MJ fan to the core, but id be lying if I said the randomness of this doesnt have me scratching my head.

For the most part I think that MJ is a apolitical type of guy. Which is fine. But I think that owning a NBA team, which is heavily supported by the public, and also having a lot of the players on his brand talking about this issue sort of forced him to speak about an issue that really doesnt concern him.

MJ recently had to talk about Gays because of whats going on in NC. Now he's about to miss out on money because the NBA got forced by the gays to pull the Allstar game.

Whereas I dont think MJ is being genuine, I hope Black folks are taking note of what just happened. When you join forces and let folk know you mean business, even the most apolitical guys will fall in line. Their motivation does not have to be the same as your motivation, but the point is you both accomplished a goal that was mutually favorable; Your goal is for law enforcement to be held accountable, the millionaire business owners goal is to protect his bottom line.

I'm starting to think that if he was an outspoken athlete back then would he have gotten all of that praise and made the type of money he has made. White folks like their black athletes to be a certain way, once they start speaking out about issues concerning their people and being unapologetic about it, then they are not as supportive and willing to spend their money. If he would have been the Muhammad Ali type, he definitely would not own an NBA team today.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
interesting...

TODAY on Pardon the Interruption

Jackie McMullen said Jordan donated $2 million tot he #blacklivesmatter movement

So you see?

A damn 30 year award winning sports journalist and author?

Who WORKS for ESPN...

THIS is not only what she incorrectly thinks but says on national TV

and probably OTHER white folk.

Baldhead_Digital

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
So no one notices that all this takes place after Lebron wins his ring in Cleavland ??? Yes Mike is THAT competitive... He couldn't let Lebron overshadow him on the Legacy front

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
If Jordan released a limited edition sneaker where proceeds would go to the Black families effected by police violence...

this dude would COMPLETELY change the narrative of his legacy as a Black man in our community as a whole.

I'm genuinely shocked Jump man hasn't stolen this idea yet...

And reebok and Adidas too.

I'd imagine some smart young business people is gonna do this on their own.