Who do you respect in government? Anyone? EVER?

Costanza

Rising Star
Registered
OMG!!!!

LBJ was the biggest "bone-thrower" in American Presidential history. Yeah, he sign the Civil Rights Act of '64 but that was only to divert attention from the shitload of dough he and his cronies were making off the Vietnam war.

He laid the blueprint for what Bush is doing today except Bush said, "Fuck the 'charitable' efforts! There's money to be made from fighting a bullshit war."

And LBJ was a stone-cold, hard core racist but a politician first that didn't want to fuck himself out of the spoils by callin' anybody a "ni**er" outload.

D-Nice 1 (The Nice One)

How'd he personally profit from Vietnam?

I'd actually heard LBJ was rather fond of the n-word; I wasn't under any illusion that he was some saint, but, looking at the presidents who followed him, the ideas of a Great Society or War on Poverty haven't come close to being touched on since.

Brown Bear

Star
Registered
And Executive Order 11110 was the last straw

Don't know if it's true or not but I read he was going to tell the American public about the Alien presence if the C.I.A. didn't stop putting drugs onto the streets. Something to that effect.
Alien Presence? Like E.T., Men In Black, DreamCatcher Aliens or Elian Gonzalez, Cheech Marin, that dude that mows my grandmother's lawn every week alien?

Z MONSTER

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
John Edwards..met him in Raleigh he was cool as hell...even though he was rich his late son went to millbrook highschool a public highschool with street credit.

black_powerfist

Potential Star
Registered
Lincoln1865.jpg

He seemed pretty honest.

Abraham Lincoln

"I am not nor ever have been in favor of making voters or jurors of Negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, not to intermarry with white people; and I say in addition to this that there is a difference between the white and black races which I believe will forever forbid the two races living together in terms of social and political equality. And inasmuch as they cannot so live, while they do remain together there must be a position of superior and inferior and as much as any other man am in favor of having the superior position assigned to the white race."

Not really.

Costanza

Rising Star
Registered
Abraham Lincoln

"I am not nor ever have been in favor of making voters or jurors of Negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, not to intermarry with white people; and I say in addition to this that there is a difference between the white and black races which I believe will forever forbid the two races living together in terms of social and political equality. And inasmuch as they cannot so live, while they do remain together there must be a position of superior and inferior and as much as any other man am in favor of having the superior position assigned to the white race."

Not really.

Good quote. It's important not to demonize Lincoln, as he did believe in abolition and that the spread of slavery was an evil to be stopped, but he was very much a man of his times and could have never become President without such racist rhetoric and beliefs.

Pro civil rights republican senators of the reconstruction era.

Definitely. Guys like Thaddeus Stevens and Charles Sumner command a lot of respect.

CPT Callamity

Titty Feelin Villain
BGOL Investor
thurgood_marshall_portrait_cropped.1.jpg

...RIP. Slim pickens nowadays.

kick06_ehn1.jpg

Can't forget Eleanor Holmes Norton...love this lady. One of the strongest leaders in DC.

Last edited:

Finito

Star
Registered
I respect people who stood up against seemingly impossible odds like Hugo Chavez. Shit is crazy.. he knew damn well that the american gov was going to help the "cracker" class in his country to take back over after he empowered his people(the poor MAJORITY in his country) to read about politics and learn the constitution. Somehow he managed to dodge the bullet so to speak only thanks to his people standing up for him when the rich minority tryed to illegally overthrow Hugo with their money power.. like he stood up for them.

The story is interesting. Check out "The Revolution will not be Televised".

http://video.yahoo.com/video/play?vid=1086664930

CarryOn

Star
Registered
Costanza said:
How'd he personally profit from Vietnam?

I dont know how he profited from vietnam but the Gulf of Tonkin Incident, which happened under his administration was said to have been bullshit and to have been entirely provoked by the US.

I guess it was the 9/11 of its time.

smokedacane

Star
Registered
I dont know how he profited from vietnam but the Gulf of Tonkin Incident, which happened under his administration was said to have been bullshit and to have been entirely provoked by the US.

Our government has gotten a lot of its insidious methods from the Nazi party. :smh:

The Nazi's orchestrated a terrorist attack against itself when they burnt down Reichstag (a political building) and blamed it on Communist trying to take over the country. Fear was the tool used for Hitler to gain power and was the beginning stages of launching WW II.

history repeating itself

nyyyyce

Rising Star
Registered

Arms companies thrived during the war - all wars. Kennedy was killed because he was about to shut it down. Johnson was the one who kept it going. How you ask...with the Gulf of Tonkin incident.

It is not something that was "said" to be BS - it was.

[FLASH]http://www.youtube.com/watch/v/pbJLwk-bJaA[/FLASH]

Last edited:

smokedacane

Star
Registered
Arms companies thrived during the war - all wars. Kennedy was killed because he was about to shut it down. Johnson was the one who kept it going. How you ask...with the Gulf of Tonkin incident.

Kennedy was killed for a number of reasons, not just for one specific reason.

Finito

Star
Registered
Why Kennedy was killed:

Its one thing to be the man "on top" but not be part of what ill call "The Program" because even so "they" can still use many methods of controll to get their way. Kennedy was not only not following the program, but he was attempting(maybe inadvertantly) to Undo all the shit they had been working towards with the money system and some other situations.

He threatened to take america in the direction of what its advertised as..

smokedacane

Star
Registered
Why Kennedy was killed:

Its one thing to be the man "on top" but not be part of what ill call "The Program" because even so "they" can still use many methods of controll to get their way. Kennedy was not only not following the program, but he was attempting(maybe inadvertantly) to Undo all the shit they had been working towards with the money system and some other situations.

He threatened to take america in the direction of what its advertised as..

Finito sums it up perfectly

Makes you wonder how the country would of been like if he never was killed, but that is pointless to speculate. Because they just would of just have gotten one of their guys in office the following year, the year after that, the year after that, and so on and so fourth.

Costanza

Rising Star
Registered
right off the top of my head gotta say thurgood marshall and maxine waters
Maxine Waters? Interesting. I know people who have known her personally who, while they have nothing against her, don't really seem to have thought much of her. Why do you say her?

Costanza

Rising Star
Registered

The Gulf of Tonkin incident and the resulting resolution are well known.

Why would LBJ let it happen where JFK wouldn't?

Costanza

Rising Star
Registered
I dont even trust any of em...
I think that's often a position adopted out of ignorance and apathy. You can see its a rotten system, feel disillusioned, and aren't especially motivated to learn more about it. Turhfully, if you were more informed of the history of government and the people who participated in that history, I don't think you'd come away saying "Every single one is an untrustworthy fraud or has unjust intent."

divine

Superstar
BGOL Investor
damn that American public school system has FUCKED you.

I suggest you read up on Abe.. he was NOT an abolitionist. He freed the slaves in order to save the union, not because slavery was wrong.

Good quote. It's important not to demonize Lincoln, as he did believe in abolition and that the spread of slavery was an evil to be stopped, but he was very much a man of his times and could have never become President without such racist rhetoric and beliefs.

Definitely. Guys like Thaddeus Stevens and Charles Sumner command a lot of respect.

Costanza

Rising Star
Registered
damn that American public school system has FUCKED you.

I suggest you read up on Abe.. he was NOT an abolitionist. He freed the slaves in order to save the union, not because slavery was wrong.

You been reading? It's been well-established, not just in historical truth but in this thread, that Lincoln freed the slaves to save the union and as a military tactic. He did, still, believe and argue that slavery was wrong.

If you don't understand that... I suggest you read up on Abe.

Costanza

Rising Star
Registered
Lincoln was the second Republican ever to run for President and the first ever to win. The first, I believe his name was John Freemont (Something with "free" in it), lost largely because he was too radical with respect to the racial issues of the day. Read the Lincoln-Douglas debates, where Douglas charges:
"In 1854, Mr. Abraham Lincoln and Mr. Trumbull entered into an arrangement, one with the other, and each with his respective friends, to dissolve the Old Whig party on the one hand, and to dissolve the old Democratic party on the other, and connect the members of both into an Abolition party, under the name and disguise of a Republican party."

That's very early in a speech from the first debate at Ottawa, Illinois in 1858. This was the atmosphere of the time. Politics, especially at the national level, is about finding the center; it was true in 1992 with Clinton and the new term "triangulation" and it was true in 1852. Lincoln would have never been elected as a flat-out abolitonist; that would be like positioning yourself way to the left of Kucinich today. So Lincoln's statements could never get a pass today because our society, thankfully, has evolved past where his was. Here is an example of how, in his response, he lowers himself to the racism of the time and yet still clearly argues against the position that it was politically viable (possible) to assail, with any coments I felt necessary to add clearly separated by parenthesis:

I will say here, while upon this subject, that I have no purpose, directly or inderectly, to interfere with the institution of slavery in the states where it exists (the claim of Douglas's camp, playing on the fears that eventually led to secession). I believe I have no lawful right to do so (he wouldn't have), and I have no inclination to do so. I have no purpose to introduce political and social equality between the two, which, in my judgment, will probably forever forbid their living together upo the footing of perfect equality; and inasmuh as it becomes a necessity that there must be a difference, I, as well as Judge Douglas, am in favor of the race to which I belong having the superior position. I have never said anything to the contrary, but I hold that, notwithstanding all this, there is no reason in the world why the negro is not entitled to all the natural rights enumerated in the Declaration of Independence-- the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of hapiness. I hold that he is as much entitled to these as the white man. I agree with Judge Dougla he is not my equal in many respects-- certainly not in color, perhaps not in moral or intellectual endowment. But in the right to eat the bread, without the leave of anybody else, which his own hand earns, he is my equal, and the equal of Judge Douglas, and the equal of every living man.

I have better examples of Douglas calling Lincoln out and interesting responses, which I can add later.

Damn Right

Rising Star
Registered
Maxine Waters? Interesting. I know people who have known her personally who, while they have nothing against her, don't really seem to have thought much of her. Why do you say her?

i do volunteer work in a part of her district (watts), and the center she had built there does a lot of good for the community. the effort she put into having more viable books posted in libraries in areas where people of color dominate was cool too.

met her several times and she was always mad cool with the average joe

Makkonnen

The Quizatz Haderach
BGOL Investor
Chris Dodd is standing by himself trying to protect our rights against from his fellow democrats and repubs

[flash]http://www.youtube.com/v/TYLzcziOerY[/flash]

http://chrisdodd.com/home

this dude is at least appearing to try - more than I can say for almost all other democrat and repub members of congress

support someone who is trying

He's going to filibuster the new FISA bill so that they dont give Immunity to all the telephone companies who tapped your phones illegally without warrants

Its a small gesture but more than any other democrat or repub is willing to do

CarryOn

Star
Registered
The Gulf of Tonkin incident and the resulting resolution are well known.

Why would LBJ let it happen where JFK wouldn't?

He wouldnt have, even though he was the first to escalate our involvement in vietnam he planned our pull out. Wiki says there are recorded white house convos of Lyndon talking about this, maybe you can find them. I dont know where though, try the internet archive.

http://www.archive.org

Heres a library of those recorded conversations, but theyre just transcripts and on top of that the source is the LBJ library.
http://www.lbjlib.utexas.edu/johnson/search/Telephone Conversations/conversations.html

Last edited: