Who do you respect in government? Anyone? EVER?

Costanza

Rising Star
Registered
He wouldnt have, even though he was the first to escalate our involvement in vietnam he planned our pull out. Wiki says there are recorded white house convos of Lyndon talking about this, maybe you can find them. I dont know where though, try the internet archive.

http://www.archive.org

Heres a library of those recorded conversations, but theyre just transcripts and on top of that the source is the LBJ library.
http://www.lbjlib.utexas.edu/johnson/search/Telephone Conversations/conversations.html

Thanks for the resources.

Costanza

Rising Star
Registered
BUMP... Even though he doesn't post here anymore, I have to say that D-NICE was right on LBJ and I was wrong... Divine, though, was an ass and I was correct on Lincoln... Anyway, BUMP...

Playa2422004

Star
Registered
President: John F. Kennedy gets the vote. Check it, this guy told it like it was about the "Secret Societies" that try to boss people around. Listen to this speech, someone assist with this one :yes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnkdfFAqsHA

Congressman/other government official goes to Harold Washington. First Black Mayor of Chicago... Quiet as it's kept, he was assassinated too. I think it was either my grandmother or uncle (R.I.P.) that said he was poisoned and made it look like he died of natural causes :smh:

**EDIT**

here's the un-edited version of that J.F.K. speech, split into parts (for time restrictions)

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C56QlmgMSFU

Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWPXVBbMba8

Damn, was Kennedy the last REAL President of this piece or what? :smh:

c/s

christuckerassmokey

Rising Star
Registered
thurgood_marshall.jpg

mike123

Rising Star
Registered
I think that's often a position adopted out of ignorance and apathy. You can see its a rotten system, feel disillusioned, and aren't especially motivated to learn more about it. Turhfully, if you were more informed of the history of government and the people who participated in that history, I don't think you'd come away saying "Every single one is an untrustworthy fraud or has unjust intent."

u'd think if u learned enough about politics u realize that u cant be a successful politician without being deceitful and that lies and corruption are how small time city council members become senators or the president. Or that politicians dont work for the people, they work for Rich people.

crossovernegro

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Alexander Hamilton I think did a lot of good things; getting war debts paid off and going against Thomas Jefferson's vision of how the country should have been.

...and for the gangsta fans, dude died in a duel over in Weehawken,NJ I think :lol:

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered
to name a few, I respect/respected the following congressmen/woman, and sentators:

Maxine Waters, Barbara Lee, Cynthia McKinney, John Conyers, Barack Obama, Harold Ford, Elenor Holmes Norton, Shiela Jackson-Lee

Excluding Presidents and trying to stay close to my life time, I would pick these people plus a few more

Joe Biden
Robert Kennedy
Sherrod Brown
Tip O'Neil from back in the day
Dennis Kucinich

I used to like John McCain but I've found out he was a complete fraud. He's against whoever just beat him in the last election: when he lost to Bush, he was a moderate, he lost to Obama, he's a hard right conservative.

Costanza

Rising Star
Registered
How'd he personally profit from Vietnam?

I'd actually heard LBJ was rather fond of the n-word; I wasn't under any illusion that he was some saint, but, looking at the presidents who followed him, the ideas of a Great Society or War on Poverty haven't come close to being touched on since.
What I didn't understand back then is that they were never really touched on at all...

Costanza

Rising Star
Registered
u'd think if u learned enough about politics u realize that u cant be a successful politician without being deceitful and that lies and corruption are how small time city council members become senators or the president. Or that politicians dont work for the people, they work for Rich people.
So there's never been a person elected to the Senate or the House without having been bought and corrupted in advance?

Costanza

Rising Star
Registered
Excluding Presidents and trying to stay close to my life time, I would pick these people plus a few more

Why did you exclude presidents? Were there any you would cite?

Joe Biden

What do you think of the Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act, the largest crime bill in history authored by Biden? It had the Federal Assault Weapons Ban, which I favor, but it expanded the death penalty and eliminated the Higher Education Act of 1965 for inmate education, which I see as just vicious. Spending almost $10 billion to build new jails is a gallon of salt added to the chest wounds.

Costanza

Rising Star
Registered
sure
but if those people stay uncorrupted they usually have short careers or uneventful ones
So for instance, Dave's list...
Joe Biden
Robert Kennedy
Sherrod Brown
Dennis Kucinich
Do they all fall into the categories of either having a) had a short and uneventful careers or b) been bought off, compromised, and/or despicable?

Autobot8655

Rising Star
OG Investor
good bump

never trust government

The unwavering support that blacks have for Obama is horrifying

And this support is only due to the racists becoming bolder since his election to office.

There was a time when blacks heavily scrutinized black officials. :(

Now, if you say something about Obama, they are ready to fight you.

Costanza

Rising Star
Registered
good bump

never trust government

And this support is only due to the racists becoming bolder since his election to office.

I think blind cynicism is as short-sighted and destructive as blind faith.

mike123

Rising Star
Registered
So for instance, Dave's list...

Do they all fall into the categories of either having a) had a short and uneventful careers or b) been bought off, compromised, and/or despicable?

i dont know enough about Sherrod Brown and Tip O'Neil to make any final conclusions and i'm not all that sold on joe biden

as for kennedy we all know how that went down and i like what some of what Kucinich is about but i'd like to see how far he can go considering most of the politicians in office now like the status quo

but i think we shoulda kept this list to current politicians
the two i could think of off the top are
anthony weiner and alan grayson

good bump

never trust government

c/s

i agree but it didnt sound like there was anything blind about what dude said

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered
good bump

never trust government

:lol:
That's a lie, that never happened.
There are just as many examples of Black politicians being outright scoundrels and still being elected/re-elected and/or still have strong Black support as there are of White ones.

:yes:

Tinman

I Haz Risen
Registered
Senator_Palpatine.jpg

Joe Lieberman seems like a pretty good guy.

Maybe they'll run him for Chancellor someday....

Rembrandt Brown

Slider
Registered

Joe Biden
Robert Kennedy
Sherrod Brown
Dennis Kucinich

I used to like John McCain but I've found out he was a complete fraud. He's against whoever just beat him in the last election: when he lost to Bush, he was a moderate, he lost to Obama, he's a hard right conservative.
Why did you exclude presidents? Were there any you would cite?

What do you think of the Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act, the largest crime bill in history authored by Biden? It had the Federal Assault Weapons Ban, which I favor, but it expanded the death penalty and eliminated the Higher Education Act of 1965 for inmate education, which I see as just vicious. Spending almost $10 billion to build new jails is a gallon of salt added to the chest wounds.

Criticizing Biden for the Crime Bill 10 years ago is pretty impressive.

(I found that because of this conversation.)

Walter Panov

Rising Star
Registered
Julian Castro, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, Harold Washington, Bernie Sanders, Barbara Lee, Rashida Harbi Tlaib, and Cori Bush. There's probably more.