Why Black people never want to teach you how to play spades.

footloose

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
i taught my girl to play, but like someone said above, you have to experience it to learn. So i started her with 2-player spades explaining things and showing her how to read the cards/call books/ what constitutes a renig /etc....She caught on. I also made it clear that 2-player is NOT THE SAME as 4-player lol
Well yeah. To play good. You gotta learn that. That’s Cause the person that teach you might not be all that good

Last edited:

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
I know how to play and it is not a difficult game to learn, that’s one of the reasons it’s popular in the Black community.

The issue is mofos like to cheat and it isn’t too hard not to. Like pointed out, lots of cats like to makeup rules as the game plays.

There are different variations of play depending on what part of the country you are in. I discovered that when I was in the ARMY.

gdatruth

A Man Apart
Certified Pussy Poster
the best way to learn is watching other ppl play
it takes patience and time

I am a Haitian so the game was new to me
learned during junior/senior high school where ppl played during lunch

its bugged out my wife is African American from a southern family but doesnt know how to play

praetor

Rising Star
OG Investor
I haven't done that since high school. That's where you cut 4 piles, flip over the top car and give one to each player, right?

Mostly.

The way we played, the person who is cutting decides who gets what. So if there are three good cards and one bad one, the cutter and their partner would get the three good ones, and the other team gets the bad one.

After that, it's the dealer's responsibility to make sure everyone still has the right number of cards once everything is dealt.

Camille

Kitchen Wench #TeamQuaid
Staff member
Folks have been talkin about a BGOL convention for a grip but that's it ain't never going to happen. We going to find out. Dr. truth is Will Smith if that ever does :lol:

No, I mean actually online not in person. I know when the guy who developed the black spades app was on here, I thought they had remote playing available. Someone else mentioned they play games with someone from here, but it's not spades.

D24OHA

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
We play big J, lil J, Duece of Diamons, Duece of spades, Ace

We call that JOKER, joker, DEUCE, deuce, Ace.....(but we use the 2 of spades as big deuce, and 2 of hearts as the little)

And you take out the 2 of clubs and 2 of diamonds.

Others play with only the Jokers as high cards, so you still remove the 2 of diamonds and 2 of clubs.

And I've played with mfkrs that don't play with jokers at all and it's either Aces high (Ace of spade is THE high card) or DEUCE, deuce, Ace...again 2 of Spades is big, 2 of hearts is little. And you keep the 2 of diamonds and clubs in the deck.

Gotta say JOKER, joker, DEUCE, deuce, Ace is my favorite.....but I'll still play the others

D24OHA

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
No, I mean actually online not in person. I know when the guy who developed the black spades app was on here, I thought they had remote playing available. Someone else mentioned they play games with someone from here, but it's not spades.
I think that app connected to Fbook.....so ppl would know each other's real names.....

I haven't played that one in a long time, but it didn't have JOKER, JOKER, DEUCE, deuce, Ace as an option at first...so I know some cats wasn't feeling it.

Deezz

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
It's been a minute for me since I played. You wouldn't want me as your partner right about now.....lol.

I do remember some ultra competitive games with my crazy ass family. Throw in some Henn and Jack Daniels, shocked nobody lost an eye.

Heavenlywings77

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Dude in the video basically said what it is.

But here's the thing...

These same black people who won't teach you are the 1st to ask how to play Uno, Bones, or Monopoly.
Guaranteed they don't know how to play one of those, that will be your chance to strike back.

Or if they're bad at using tech just watch them struggle from afar and laugh silently

Ahhh monops... The game of games...

smoovejazz

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Okay, since nobody wants to teach people how to play spades (or bid-whist, for that matter), is there a place where one can find the rules to these games? I've tried.

I mean, it's like wanting a job, but you need experience. Well, how the fuck are you supposed to get experience if no one wants to teach you, and if you're new to the game and play with veteran players - and you fuck up - you either get clowned, or other people get pissed at you for fucking up their game? It makes you not want to play at all!

I've seen way too many Black folks take spades and bid-whist WAY too seriously. People getting their feelings hurt at a cookout, or fights breaking out if someone reneged. What kind of fun is that?

That's why I play easy shit like Uno. It's easy to learn, and I can play for hours and have lots of fun (as long as you know some of the "made-up house rules")...

...although truth be told, I've seen a few hurt feelings and fights over someone playing a "draw four" card...go figure... that's our people for ya...:dunno:

Darkness's

" Jackie Reinhart is a lady.."
Registered
Spades is serious business. My friends fought in some other niggas apartment during a game. I was pissed bexause my team was winning.we was runnijg it and these nighas had to sfart a fight . damn.

darth frosty

Dark Lord of the Sith
BGOL Investor
Okay, since nobody wants to teach people how to play spades (or bid-whist, for that matter), is there a place where one can find the rules to these games? I've tried.

I mean, it's like wanting a job, but you need experience. Well, how the fuck are you supposed to get experience if no one wants to teach you, and if you're new to the game and play with veteran players - and you fuck up - you either get clowned, or other people get pissed at you for fucking up their game? It makes you not want to play at all!

I've seen way too many Black folks take spades and bid-whist WAY too seriously. People getting their feelings hurt at a cookout, or fights breaking out if someone reneged. What kind of fun is that?

That's why I play easy shit like Uno. It's easy to learn, and I can play for hours and have lots of fun (as long as you know some of the "made-up house rules")...

...although truth be told, I've seen a few hurt feelings and fights over someone playing a "draw four" card...go figure... that's our people for ya...:dunno:
There is a spades app on Google play (don't know if it's on iPhone) by AI factory.

It's a good tutorial that let's you play many different ways (you can choose to play with Dueces wild) and you can pick different partners who have different playing traits.

This will help you figure out playing strategy (to a degree.)

Pipe

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I know how to play and it is not a difficult game to learn, that’s one of the reasons it’s popular in the Black community.

The issue is mofos like to cheat and it isn’t too hard not to. Like pointed out, lots of cats like to makeup rules as the game plays.

There are different variations of play depending on what part of the country you are in. I discovered that when I was in the ARMY.

That's why you ALWAYS get the rules established first. Usually if you at somebody else's party/house then you play by their rules. If you at my house/party then you play by my rules:
  1. Big Joker, Little Joker, Deuce of Diamonds, Deuce of Spades, Ace. The Big Joker is the one that says "Guarantee" on it (other people do it the opposite with the jokers, not my people).
  2. No Blinds, no Nines (means you can't make a blind bid and you can't bid 9)
  3. Sandbags are negotiable. We can play either way depending on what the majority wants.
  4. First had bids itself.
  5. You can't lead with a spade until someone cuts with a spade.
  6. Bids have to add up to 11 for the hand to be played. Otherwise the hand is "made" and the bids are scored as-is.
  7. A Bubble (10-book hand) during the fist hand is an automatic victory.
  8. A Boston (13-book hand) during any point in the game is an automatic victory.

dugington

Rising Star
Registered
That's why you ALWAYS get the rules established first. Usually if you at somebody else's party/house then you play by their rules. If you at my house/party then you play by my rules:
  1. Big Joker, Little Joker, Deuce of Diamonds, Deuce of Spades, Ace. The Big Joker is the one that says "Guarantee" on it (other people do it the opposite with the jokers, not my people).
  3. Sandbags are negotiable. We can play either way depending on what the majority wants.
  6. Bids have to add up to 11 for the hand to be played. Otherwise the hand is "made" and the bids are scored as-is.
  8. A Boston (13-book hand) during any point in the game is an automatic victory.
^^^Good shit.
Also: I know most of the country says "set" but we say "shot" when opponents don't make their books.

I guess there's still a few regional-specific things in the world, even though the internet pretty much erases them everyday. :D

Last edited:

Pipe

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

All of my homies knew how to play except me (I knew how the game was played, but I had no idea about strategy), so I avoided playing with them cause I knew how serious they took it. One day they were short one man so I had to play. I remembered the rules well enough, but it wasn't long before I started fucking up. They did not hold back their rage at each and every one of my fuck-ups. It was brutal. We had to stay up all night until I got the game right. In a few short weeks I was an assassin.

You need that brutal Pai Mei training. It builds character.

And reneging can most certainly lead to a fight because it usually means that the person is cheating and thinks that you are not good enough to notice.

Quek9

K9
BGOL Investor
Dude in the video basically said what it is.

But here's the thing...

These same black people who won't teach you are the 1st to ask how to play Uno, Bones, or Monopoly.
Guaranteed they don't know how to play one of those, that will be your chance to strike back.

Or if they're bad at using tech just watch them struggle from afar and laugh silently
Bullshit, especially if you went to a HBCU.

Mrfreddygoodbud

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I know they trying to be funny

But why they putting this on

The spades players...

Muthafuckas wait months....

For a good set of spades...

Barbecue banging.... Food off the chain..

Music playin everybody songs..

Folks start gathering around...

The word gets out spades or dominoes is about to go down..

Yeah..shit is about to be on an poppin

And here some fuckin last minute sap

Ol killjoy kilroy

Talkin bout how you play spades..

Really knigga??

You want me to teach you NOW?

Sorry dat knigga cant be serious..lol

And deserves every bit of the reaction...

How about asking

Before a major game is about to go down..

Its like you ready to run a full court game of ball..

And some muthafucka gonna be like..

Teach me how to shoot

Seconds before the game starts...

C'mon mayne

Where is the respect..

Now ask me if I know how to play spades..
LOL

Last edited:

darth frosty

Dark Lord of the Sith
BGOL Investor
Curious do yaw play where if you have one spade you can pass it to your partner?

Or if you have NO spades you throw the hand in and re-deal?

TheFuser

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
You can only learn how to play by playing. Shit is trial by combat. You gotta play, be a shitty bidder, get clowned, make dumb mistakes like cutting when you should've laid off, get clowned, learn how to properly bid, get better, watch the fucking board, get better, and finally, start talking shit to trashier players than yourself as they're going through the process. This is law.

Last edited:

D24OHA

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Curious do yaw play where if you have one spade you can pass it to your partner?

Or if you have NO spades you throw the hand in and re-deal?

Mfkrs be passing spades?!

Da fuck they do that at?!

I wish mfkrs would ask to pass spades?
"Oh you gotta cheat to CHEAT?!"....nah we good round here on that.....

But yes to the second one....if 1 player doesn't have at least one spade.....chances are that's gonna be a shitty hand.....

It's rare, but I've played with ppl that don't care and some times you get lucky....3 aces and 4 kings or a stray Q that walks....but once the spades get introduced....you're a man down for the fight