Why Black people never want to teach you how to play spades.

sorcererforemost

Rising Star
Registered
I was trying to find a pic of the spades deck and came across this.

They wrong tho.

It included a link to the cac guide to spades.
See this is how fights start in these games lol everyone can't be right

dugington

Rising Star
Registered
Playing spades with black folks is stressful. Niggas don’t ever keep the same rules. I stay having the big joker argument before the game even get started.

jokercard.jpg
Without the color card, the "guarantee" would normally be the big joker.
But since the color one IS there, it's simple: Color joker, Black and white joker, so on and so on.

Camille

Kitchen Wench #TeamQuaid
Staff member
Without the color card, the "guarantee" would normally be the big joker.
But since the color one IS there, it's simple: Color joker, Black and white joker, so on and so on.

It's the Big joker whether is colored or not, that was just an attempt to help folks out.

Pipe

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I was trying to find a pic of the spades deck and came across this.

They wrong tho.

It included a link to the cac guide to spades.

That was hilarious.

I am happy with the court's decision and with the fact that justice has prevailed amidst the chaos of confusion. I only hope that now we can move forward in unity as Black Americans.

And yes, we also ended up writing "Big" and "Little" on our Jokers.

kdogg3270

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
We used to Bust some spades, I don't ever remember playing Spades... LOL
Like, I've never played pool, I've shot some pool.......

True story: I'm the oldest of 7, my brother next to me, was my partner back in like '91/92, over at my Aunt Recenia's house for a que in Garfield Hts. I told this Jackazz that I have a 3 and a STRONG P, this muthaphucka yells out we going 10 fa 2, stands up, knocks his chair back and got louder than a mug. It was like my whole family stopped what they were doing and watch this hand, neighbors came from down the street and shyt.. Anyways, he had like 8 or 9 spades, I win the first hand with like a Queen of Diamonds, so I run the Ace to let him know whats up. THIS IGNANT azz muthaphucka, cut my shyt and then began to run spades, I had like 2 or 3, so he ain't trump tight, I looked at my Uncle Harold who was behind him, who lit up a cigarette and walked off, I was like OOOOO SHYTT!! He took one of his cards and slapped it on the his forehead so it will stick, like that's the card that's gone give us 10, we make our run and get to 9, last card, this test tube baby takes the card off his forehead and puts it down, it was a GOT DAMN JACK OF CLUBS!!! A PHUCKIN JACK OF CLUBS!!!! My cousin Ramona, starts laffin, stands up and slapped the phuckin Queen of Clubs and it made that loud "smack" sound and was spinnin for like 5 min straight, and said we some some bad BYTCHEZ!!!!! Only thing I heard out of all the commotion was my Uncle who by this time was reachin down in the Tub of Ice to get another cold one, say, that's why nobody ever play with his azz!! I had a little cuzin who was like 4yrs old, laffin and pointin at me, I wanted to kick her azz over the bushes to the neighbors house, I was about jump across the table and kick this fool in his chest like I was Jim Kelly.
Fast forward a few years, my Brother went to jail for some stupid shyt, he called me from the clink and was like "mannnnn, i did some stupid shyt..." I stopped him right there and said not as stupid as you callin that 10 for 2 at Aunties and hung up!

True Story!!!!
he fucked up the karma when he cut your winner. not a smart move.

kdogg3270

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
Spades is more complicated than just knowing the rules. You have to understand strategy as well.

If you play an ace, and your partner plays the king, that means he's out and you should go back to that suit if you can. If someone on the other team plays the king, you should avoid that suit as best you can.

If I have 7 diamonds in a row, say jack through 5, and the other team leads off with an ace, I'll play the jack instead of the five because I want them to think that I'm out and therefore avoid coming back to that suit.

If someone is cutting with high spades, that means they don't have many, so I force them to cut until they run out.

If you have a lot of the top spades, say the top five spades, you can drain everyone else of their spades quickly but you have to be careful not to do it too soon or you'll prevent your partner from getting books that they were counting on.

If you have the little joker, you have to be able to tell who has the big joker. You don't want to hold on until the last hand and bump heads with your partner who had the big joker the whole time.
i agree with every word of that.
to piggyback on that, i like to fuck with whoever is sitting on my left. I will either play a high card in an offsuit - to force them to cut or play something higher to beat me. Or if i cut, i cut high, again to force the person on the left to 'bring it' to beat me - i call it 'pulling teeth' lol

TimRock

Don't let me be misunderstood
BGOL Investor
Spades is more complicated than just knowing the rules. You have to understand strategy as well.

If you play an ace, and your partner plays the king, that means he's out and you should go back to that suit if you can. If someone on the other team plays the king, you should avoid that suit as best you can.

If I have 7 diamonds in a row, say jack through 5, and the other team leads off with an ace, I'll play the jack instead of the five because I want them to think that I'm out and therefore avoid coming back to that suit.

If someone is cutting with high spades, that means they don't have many, so I force them to cut until they run out.

If you have a lot of the top spades, say the top five spades, you can drain everyone else of their spades quickly but you have to be careful not to do it too soon or you'll prevent your partner from getting books that they were counting on.

If you have the little joker, you have to be able to tell who has the big joker. You don't want to hold on until the last hand and bump heads with your partner who had the big joker the whole time.
all of this. but for the bolded, it could also mean that your partner has the queen as well, either way, yes, go back that suit.

another thing people have to worry about and keep in mind is, if someone leads with say a 5, next person (your partner) throws out a 10, the next person throws out an 8. thats a book for you and you shouldn't play anything higher than 10 to secure the easy book. unless of course you have no choice.

kdogg3270

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
all of this. but for the bolded, it could also mean that your partner has the queen as well, either way, yes, go back that suit.

another thing people have to worry about and keep in mind is, if someone leads with say a 5, next person (your partner) throws out a 10, the next person throws out an 8. thats a book for you and you shouldn't play anything higher than 10 to secure the easy book. unless of course you have no choice.

its the little things like that , that gets you that 10 for 2 hand. Never cut your p unless you have no choice.

Pipe

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
i agree with every word of that.
to piggyback on that, i like to fuck with whoever is sitting on my left. I will either play a high card in an offsuit - to force them to cut or play something higher to beat me. Or if i cut, i cut high, again to force the person on the left to 'bring it' to beat me - i call it 'pulling teeth' lol

We schooling the rookies now? I like it. Let me get in.

Pipe's Tactical Spades Tutorial

Tip #1: Intimidation

• When the player to your right is thinking about what to play, take the card that you plan to play next and hold it up and stare at them menacingly. This can force an opponent to rethink their play and throw them off their game. It doesn't matter if your card will win the book or is a low card, you simply want your opponent to think about what you might have in YOUR hand as opposed to being confident in what they should play. Once you can rattle their confidence, then you can get them to make mistakes, and mistakes are how people get set.
  • If your opponent plays a card that they were confident was going to walk and then you cut it, you take your card, dig it underneath their card like yours is a spatula, then FLIP their card all the way off the table and make them go get it. Once again, stare at them menacingly. You can even talk some shit like "Did you really think that Queen was gonna walk at MY table? This is MY FUCKIN TABLE! Don't ever send a bitch to do a man's job! That bitch ain't walkin nowhere but on the track to go fill up my muh-fuckin TRAP! Mah-fact, go get that bitch and brang her back here so she can bring Daddy his scratch! Nigga sent a Queen after the muh-fuckin KANG! I can't buh-LEE dis nigga!"
  • Whenever your opponents bid, just look back at your hand and then look up at them and say "You sure about that?" then look back at your hand and look back at them and keep looking at them until they answer. It's an easy way to get them to lower their bid and give up points.

praetor

Rising Star
OG Investor

If I have no choice, I actually apologize to my partner for winning the book.

kdogg3270

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
We schooling the rookies now? I like it. Let me get in.

Pipe's Tactical Spades Tutorial

Tip #1: Intimidation

• When the player to your right is thinking about what to play, take the card that you plan to play next and hold it up and stare at them menacingly. This can force an opponent to rethink their play and throw them off their game. It doesn't matter if your card will win the book or is a low card, you simply want your opponent to think about what you might have in YOUR hand as opposed to being confident in what they should play. Once you can rattle their confidence, then you can get them to make mistakes, and mistakes are how people get set.
  • If your opponent plays a card that they were confident was going to walk and then you cut it, you take your card, dig it underneath their card like yours is a spatula, then FLIP their card all the way off the table and make them go get it. Once again, stare at them menacingly. You can even talk some shit like "Did you really think that Queen was gonna walk at MY table? This is MY FUCKIN TABLE! Don't ever send a bitch to do a man's job! That bitch ain't walkin nowhere but on the track to go fill up my muh-fuckin TRAP! Mah-fact, go get that bitch and brang her back here so she can bring Daddy his scratch! Nigga sent a Queen after the muh-fuckin KANG! I can't buh-LEE dis nigga!"
  • Whenever your opponents bid, just look back at your hand and then look up at them and say "You sure about that?" then look back at your hand and look back at them and keep looking at them until they answer. It's an easy way to get them to lower their bid and give up points.
:lol:

good shit. We do that card flipping too...we say get the kids out the street. and I love to stare at people when their turn comes.

4 Dimensional

Rising Star
Platinum Member
I once typed up a pamphlet for "Underbidders Anonymous" and would hand out a copy to any opponent that was underbidding during a game.

Good times....

Whats funny, we never sand bagged for those that underbidded. We’d just argue about it and continue to play.

It wasn’t until I started playing online where you would get points deducted for underbidding.

ZuluSam

Rising Star
Platinum Member
I’m an ole pro at that shit. Came up with mom, dad and their friends playing, drinking and talking shit. When my lil ass finally was old enough to play I finished many a game with tears in my eyes for fucking up and getting talked to very very bad by my partner. Very very bad.

The rules is one thing….but you better progress to learning how many cards of each suit are still out there, who has what by what they have previously played and how to know what strong suit your partner has so that you can send them books without bumping heads.

Did I say very very bad.

Oh. And it is like bid whist….except in whist the winner of the bid calls which suit is trump and in spades, spades is always trump.

praetor

Rising Star
OG Investor
You shouldn't have to. Your partner should already know why you did it and then feed you so that you can start cutting.

I agree. It's a habit I developed because early on in school, you might find yourself partnered up with someone who didn't know how to play.

That was my way of reassuring them that I knew what I was doing. I've seen people make the mistake of unnecessarily cutting when their partner already won the book.

kdogg3270

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
I’m an ole pro at that shit. Came up with mom, dad and their friends playing, drinking and talking shit. When my lil ass finally was old enough to play I finished many a game with tears in my eyes for fucking up and getting talked to very very bad by my partner. Very very bad.

The rules is one thing….but you better progress to learning how many cards of each suit are still out there, who has what by what they have previously played and how to know what strong suit your partner has so that you can send them books without bumping heads.

Did I say very very bad.

Oh. And it is like bid whist….except in whist the winner of the bid calls which suit is trump and in spades, spades is always trump.

my main spades partner is an expert at that shit...and he used to REALLY give me hell about it. I got better over time.

dugington

Rising Star
Registered
I’ve played different ways. But I always add sand bagging to the rules. Under bid your hands if you want to.
Now see, that's how violence from the sidelines happen. People are waiting to play. Nobody getting set/shot? Under bidding purposely?
That shit would never work with my friends and family. The way they see it, if you not trying to win, you just want to sit at the table. :lol: