A White Man Wrote 'Sesame Street' Black Hair Ode For His Adopted Ethiopian Daughter

woodchuck

A crowd pleasing man.
OG Investor
Re: A White Man Wrote 'Sesame Street' Black Hair Ode For His Adopted Ethiopian Daught

What did this guy accomplish that Chris rock didn't..:confused:

C'mon dude, you're not that naive. You know shit ain't kosher to us, unless a white man does it.

The Dark Mind

Lifetime Member
Platinum Member
Re: A White Man Wrote 'Sesame Street' Black Hair Ode For His Adopted Ethiopian Daught

Wow...

I thought I was going to jump into this thread and debate Lonestar...

But Upgrade Dave and Ming Fei Hong keep posting everything I was going to say! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Oh well... great for me, I don't have to type shit! :dance: :dance: :dance:

Less typing for me and more time to go do other stuff.

I'll come back later. :yes: :yes:

Thanks fellas!! :dance: :dance: :dance:

Cosinages all around. :yes:

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered

Wow...

I thought I was going to jump into this thread and debate Lonestar...

But Upgrade Dave and Ming Fei Hong keep posting everything I was going to say! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Oh well... great for me, I don't have to type shit! :dance: :dance: :dance:

Less typing for me and more time to go do other stuff.

I'll come back later. :yes: :yes:

Thanks fellas!! :dance: :dance: :dance:

Cosinages all around. :yes:

You're welcome.:D:lol:

woodchuck

A crowd pleasing man.
OG Investor

Well, I asked, because in the thread where the parents were letting the little black boy dress up like a princess and do girl stuff, when the dudes in that thread said that they should stop and change the boy's behavior, you and Blunt said that they should let him be what he is, and leave him alone. In fact, you said this:

Originally Posted by LoneStar29 View Post
Their son is gay ... nothing special about him wanting to wear dresses as a child ... alot of them (gays) did that too growing up

If you're cool with them letting their son do that, then shouldn't this guy just let his little black adopted daughter continue with a preference to play with the white dolls and not try to change her?

I'm not gonna get that answer, huh?

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered

:smh::smh:

Matter of fact. I could be wrong. But I could swear Chris Rock was being criticized for even making that movie.

He was. Like "why you putting our bidness out there?" Corny shit.

mangobob79

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Why wouldnt I be cool with it??

No you sound ignorant

Cuz in the process of complaining about sistas complaining about brothas you started complaining and generalizing too "it's Black women who pass down their own shame of Black hair to Black girls" You dont want no one to say shit about black men but here you go talking shit about black women :confused:

Of course you will hear sistas bring up the fact that a white man wrote this

When was the last time there was ANYTHING positive said about black women by a black man in the media?? I cant even remember ... all we hear is negatives from ya'll ... then this song comes out and we think "yaaaaaaY, maybe just maybe" (well not "we" cuz I thought it was a sista but apparently others had false hope for it to be a brotha) ... but NO ... it was a white guy so then there is a tad bit of disappointment there

You arent looking deeper into their words, you are just scratching the surface ... what they said is 100% correct ... but it didn't NEED to be said cuz that is not important right now ... like I said what's important is teaching our little ladies to love themselves REGARDLESS of who else may or may not love them

im sorry ur argument doesnt hold ground, and u're kinda dodging the obvious in tryin to reverse the flow of the narrative to support ur position:
1: no black man here faulted the white author
2: black man have always loved their daughters and championed THIER BIOLOGICAL traits Passed down to them(in case u didnt know this)
3: this guy works at a tv station, that makes it easier for his idea to reach tv
4: black men authors,teachers ie, dr ben, dr clarke ,jeffries, etc etc have always championed natural hair and hairstyles but of course it passes over y'all head until a whiteman makes a statement and all of a sudden he's A SAVIOUR TO POOR OLD SUFFERING UNLOVED BLACKWOMEN
5: BLACKMEN HAVE NEVER PERMED,BURNED AND FRIED THEIR DAUGHTERS' HAIR TO LOOK WHITE..THATS WHAT BLACKWOMEN HAVE DONE SINCE TIME BEGAN AND PASSED THAT SAME HATE UNTO THEIR DAUGHTERS..OH SORRY THAT WAS BLACKMEN'S DOING TOO

its fine continue with ur narrative we see thru it already!!

Lola

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Nothing. Rock's doc was aimed at adults and meant to be entertaingly informative. This is for kids.
Incorrect and FAIL.

Chris Rock said SEVERAL times in interviews that he made this movie because his Daughter came to him and asked why she didn't have good hair, so this in fact was made with young kids in mind.

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered

Incorrect and FAIL.

Chris Rock said SEVERAL times in interviews that he made this movie because his Daughter came to him and asked why she didn't have good hair, so this in fact was made with young kids in mind.

And yet he released it as a PG-13 film with relatively few children in it.
I'm not disputing his motivation but his target audience.

If I want to be corrected when I'm right, I'll get my wife to do it.

Ming Fei Hong

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

I would call it loathing
A White women called Oprah on her perm and guess why Oprah said she keeps her perm?
Let's just say it wasn't self-loathing. Something much more bullshitty than that...

Incorrect and FAIL.

Many Black women perceived Chris Rock's film to be exposing, critical, disparaging and embarrassing. This Sesame Street clip didn't address an particulars, nor place any blame. It just set out to inspire young girls. Chris set out to inform these young girl's mother's. He may have been inspired by his daughter, but his target audience was adults.

mangobob79

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Too bad Chris rock didn't accomplish this with "Good Hair". He was too busy trying to be funny.

AND IF HE HAD TRIED TO BE SERIOUS HE WOULD HAVE BE CHEWED OUT EVEN HARDER, U DO IT AN
INFORMATIVE MANNER = CHEWED OUT
COMEDY TO LESSEN THE SEVERITY= CHEWED OUT
:smh::smh::smh::smh::smh::smh:

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered

A White women called Oprah on her perm and guess why Oprah said she keeps her perm?
Let's just say it wasn't self-loathing. Something much more bullshitty than that...

:smh:Oprah old bullshitting ass.

Ain't nobody said she had to shave her head, that's not technically "natural" either (and she doesn't have the head for it) but she can stop relaxing her hair. The same way she said the only reason she never wore white is because her production people told her it made her look darker and she finally asked "So?", she could do that with her hair. Oprah could really make waves if she went natural.

largebillsonlyplease

Large
BGOL Legend

Incorrect and FAIL.

so why not commend him for not just addressing his daughters concerns privately but instead he put his money and time into addressing this issue publicly for the world to see.
his aim and goal was to examine the history of hairstyles and the psychological state that goes into the reasoning behind the styling and the importance of the style etc. he also went into the products and how it was actually harmful. he went into how black women make up majority of the business but black people don't own a majority of the companies that prosper on the business. he went into where the hair actually comes from. he interviewed a plethora of black woman and had their take on it out of their own mouths. he had women who wore weaves who had perms and who wore their hair naturally. he covered every basis.
so why not commend him on clearly addressing it and laying it out there and giving us a documentary that generations to come can look and see and reflect and examine.

instead...your first response was too bad chris rock didn't do this.
you're right he didn't write a jazzy little number to make you feel good for a minute
he took time out and did a well done documentary that you can watch and examine and understand for years to come.

generations of black women can watch it and dialogue about it without question.

black men like myself watched it and got a better understanding of why my sisters do this and why hair is such a big deal to them. me not being a woman i can't understand cause im not in your shoes....so to listen to black women talk and express themselves about this issue was refreshing and valuable to me.

but yea he was too busy trying to be funny.

CoTtOnMoUf

DUMBED DOWN TO BLEND IN
BGOL Legend

I Love It!

I guess nobdy's feeling the Willow Smith Remix huh? :dunno:

whoever did it, did a helluva edit job!
:yes:

:dance: :dance: :dance:

Ming Fei Hong

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

:smh:Oprah old bullshitting ass.

Ain't nobody said she had to shave her head, that's not technically "natural" either (and she doesn't have the head for it) but she can stop relaxing her hair. The same way she said the only reason she never wore white is because her production people told her it made her look darker and she finally asked "So?", she could do that with her hair. Oprah could really make waves if she went natural.
Oprah knows good and damn well her excuse was ridiculous. She had to know that. I would love to know what that White women thought of her answer.
I Love It!

I guess nobdy's feeling the Willow Smith Remix huh? :dunno:

whoever did it, did a helluva edit job!

:dance: :dance: :dance:

That vid's in the original post.

mangobob79

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

so why not commend him for not just addressing his daughters concerns privately but instead he put his money and time into addressing this issue publicly for the world to see.
his aim and goal was to examine the history of hairstyles and the psychological state that goes into the reasoning behind the styling and the importance of the style etc. he also went into the products and how it was actually harmful. he went into how black women make up majority of the business but black people don't own a majority of the companies that prosper on the business. he went into where the hair actually comes from. he interviewed a plethora of black woman and had their take on it out of their own mouths. he had women who wore weaves who had perms and who wore their hair naturally. he covered every basis.
so why not commend him on clearly addressing it and laying it out there and giving us a documentary that generations to come can look and see and reflect and examine.

you're right he didn't write a jazzy little number to make you feel good for a minute
he took time out and did a well done documentary that you can watch and examine and understand for years to come.

black men like myself watched it and got a better understanding of why my sisters do this and why hair is such a big deal to them. me not being a woman i can't understand cause im not in your shoes....so to listen to black women talk and express themselves about this issue was refreshing and valuable to me.

END THREAD!!!!!!!! THANK U SIR :dance::dance:

bgque12

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Why wouldnt I be cool with it??

No you sound ignorant

Cuz in the process of complaining about sistas complaining about brothas you started complaining and generalizing too "it's Black women who pass down their own shame of Black hair to Black girls" You dont want no one to say shit about black men but here you go talking shit about black women :confused:

Of course you will hear sistas bring up the fact that a white man wrote this

When was the last time there was ANYTHING positive said about black women by a black man in the media?? I cant even remember ... all we hear is negatives from ya'll ... then this song comes out and we think "yaaaaaaY, maybe just maybe" (well not "we" cuz I thought it was a sista but apparently others had false hope for it to be a brotha) ... but NO ... it was a white guy so then there is a tad bit of disappointment there

You arent looking deeper into their words, you are just scratching the surface ... what they said is 100% correct ... but it didn't NEED to be said cuz that is not important right now ... like I said what's important is teaching our little ladies to love themselves REGARDLESS of who else may or may not love them

Why?

Lola

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

You're missing my point. What Chris Rock didn't accomplish is for women to be INSPIRED to become natural.

The creator of sisterlocks was disappointed that instead of focusing on natural alternatives for black hair, all he did was criticize and satirize the whole fake hair/perm thing.

Speaking of sisterlocks, I am so excited, because I having my done in 2 weeks!!!!!! :dance::dance::dance: No more perms or weaves for me.

Sisterlocks is a revolution, a beautiful alternative for black women and Chris Rock missed the boat by not showing this, it also would have been beneficial for his daughters.

So if you look at in that context, he did fail in comparison to this Sesame Street video, because this got people talking and INSPIRED.

It pains me to say this, I would have rather a black man be the one to inspire black women on this issue, trust me on that one.

Lastly, all you brothers talking all this ying yang about how great nappy hair is, how many of your wives or girlfriends are sporting naturals? :rolleyes:

Here, the creator of Sisterlocks talks about Chris Rock's "Good Hair". [/b[

Last edited:

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered

I don't know if I'm breaking news here for anyone but is everyone aware that Chris Rock is a comedian by trade? Is it really so surprising that he would take a less than stone-serious tone in a documentary? And say what you will, he got people talking about the issue. If you spend your time and energy focusing on the minute, that's on you, not him.

You want serious docs, "Eyes on the Prize" is still a classic.

bgque12

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

You're missing my point. What Chris Rock didn't accomplish is for women to be INSPIRED to become natural.

The creator of sisterlocks was disappointed that instead of focusing on natural alternatives for black hair, all he did was criticize and satirize the whole fake hair/perm thing.

Speaking of sisterlocks, I am so excited, because I having my done in 2 weeks!!!!!! :dance::dance::dance: No more perms or weaves for me.

Sisterlocks is a revolution, a beautiful alternative for black women and Chris Rock missed the boat by not showing this, it also would have been beneficial for his daughters.

So if you look at in that context, he did fail in comparison to this Sesame Street video, because this got people talking and INSPIRED.

It pains me to say this,
I would have rather a black man be the one to inspire black women on this issue, trust me on that one.

Lastly, all you brothers talking all this ying yang about how great nappy hair is, how many of your wives or girlfriends are sporting naturals? :rolleyes:

Here, the creator of Sisterlocks talks about Chris Rock's "Good Hair".

Why?!?!?!?!?!?!
Should it not pain you that a black women didn't inspire other black women?

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered

Why?!?!?!?!?!?!
Should it not pain you that a black women didn't inspire other black women?

That's what I keep asking to no avail. Why is is so bad (or bad at all) that a Black man didn't write it but there doesn't seem to be any feelings that a Black woman didn't write it either.

CoTtOnMoUf

DUMBED DOWN TO BLEND IN
BGOL Legend

That vid's in the original post.

i know.

i thought someone woulda replied about it by now.

that was perfectly done.

...as if the vid was originally made for willow's song.

Laughing Man

Star
Registered

$15 Billion a year is spent giving money to the mostly Asian markets that control this shit

The Chris Rock movie had females talking about spending thousands of dollars on this shit, that only last a little while

I dont care who makes the damn thing, if it penetrates the thick skulls of some, all the fucking better

15 billion a year on this mess?:smh:

ljinsane

Star
Registered

^^^ C/S above. But I've already heard some salty ass sisters say "it fugures" that it wasn't a Black father who wrote it. :hmm:

I guess those same sisters forgot about Chris Rock's movie on hair...

fuck 'em

largebillsonlyplease

Large
BGOL Legend

He didn't accomplish it because that wasn't his mission. His mission was to understand the whole concept about the hair and everything about it, be informative. Not to encourage or discourage which is why he had women who were natural as well as women who weren't and made no apologies about being permed and weaved out.

Why would he focus on the alternatives when it wasn't about alternatives for natural hair. It was about the bigger picture, not the smaller section. sisterlocks is addressing their avenue which is the alternative. If chris rock would have came and did what you're talking about it wouldnt have helped anything. this was showing black women in a positive and nuetral light and explaining things that we didn't understand. hence why some women were saying he was giving away "secrets". it wasn't his intent to cater. it was his intent to examine why there is a such a term as "good hair"

ill research sisterlocks i don't know what it is. but cograts to you. i gravitate towards natural hair and appreciate it.

he didn't miss the boat he did what he needed to do which was get the dialogue going. what was beneficial for his daughters is that a simple question they asked he felt the need to care about them to research and actually craft out a movie to answer it in full for them. he said openly in the beginning of the movie "my daughter came and asked me why dont i have good hair? now i wonder where that idea came from?"
meaning why would she even say that..he showed his kids with their natural hair and of course referred to them as beautiful. he is attacking the notion that black hair isn't good.
it is good and that's what i got from the doc.

if you look at it in that context you failed to see his entire premise and reason for making the doc in the first place. he didn't fail at all in comparison to the sesame street video. he made a doc that in 10 years when his daughters are adults they can watch with their moms and discuss. and when his daughters have kids and if this is still an issue which it probably will be they can watch and discuss and understand the history and the meaning and views opinions AND let them make their own decision on whether or not to get perms or not.
its not biased. its not supposed to tell you what to do. its supposed to inform and let you know everything about it. his ultimate conclusion is black hair is beautiful.
people hated chris rock for making this movie and now i see it mustve been because it was chris rock.

It pains me to say this, I would have rather a black man be the one to inspire black women on this issue, trust me on that one.

if black women wouldn't care about who the messenger was then chris rock's movie would've inspired you to learn more about hair to analyze and decide what you want to do. itll also help you appreciate your hair. this movie gave YOU the voice to say and speak on your hair. this isn't white man's lyrics to coddle his kid.
do you see how silly you sound right now?
this movie is filled entirely and non stop with commentary from black women candidly about their own hair....and you think its a failure.
this white guys writes a number for his daughter so its inspiring.

let's review. a black man makes a movie for you and for his daughters doesnt exclude or put words in your mouth but instead goes to ALL black women young old natural or weave/permed. even some men who perm their hair but they're in the minority. and gives you the open floor to talk about your own hair and issues concerns and reasoning. directly from you and its a failure.

this white guy writes a song for kids about liking your hair and its inspiring.
:lol:

i haven't had a girlfriend who had a perm/or weave since high school. since then its a variation of either braids or twists. locks. natural just washing and brushing. or just washing and flat ironing WITHOUT CHEMICAL.
so miss me with that one

bgque12

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

That's what I keep asking to no avail. Why is it so bad (or bad at all) that a Black man didn't write it but there doesn't seem to be any feelings that a Black woman didn't write it either.

They're acting like we are the ones who told them to start fukkin' their hair up in the first place:smh:

Deacs

Rising Star
Registered

Granted, it would have been nice if a black person came up with the song, but they didn't, or should it matter that a white person did and it's a good song. If the action is a positive one, people should not care of the originator, because it is good for all

Useless squabbling on roles is utter ignorant bullshittery. If you want to make an impact; make another song if it makes you feel better, in fact, become the positive reinforcement in your child's life on the daily basis where they will have no need for the song, but to argue if a black made the song?

Motherfuckers didn't care Ray Crock (sp) was black when they ate his burgers... Yeah, the argument is as invalid as this statement, doesn't matter