Any plex users here ?

Duece

You Gotta Be Naked!
BGOL Investor
Doubt it, remember xvid codec videos from back in the day, those would look like trash on a 4k tv. Even 420 and 720p videos from the 2000's don't hold up well. I'm assuming we will eventually transition to 8k tvs.

That's good point.

Replacing 720p and 1080p files with higher quality files has crossed my mind many times because there is a popular site that uploads compressed files and while they look ok on 1080p TVs the color banding and compression are very obvious and I'm going to assume it's going to look worse on higher resolution TVs

Flawless

Flawless One
BGOL Investor
That's good point.

Replacing 720p and 1080p files with higher quality files has crossed my mind many times because there is a popular site that uploads compressed files and while they look ok on 1080p TVs the color banding and compression are very obvious and I'm going to assume it's going to look worse on higher resolution TVs
I've been seen h265 2160p movies around 3 gigs in size, hopefully more groups start to do that

Duece

You Gotta Be Naked!
BGOL Investor
I've been seen h265 2160p movies around 3 gigs in size, hopefully more groups start to do that

When it comes to lower resolution media on higher resolution TV's, how do you handle old shit?

For Example, DVD rips of old sitcoms?

I have remastered rips of The Honeymooners and Star Trek The Original Series but I also have DVD, 480p rips of shit like Fresh Prince, Family Matters and Three's Company.

BenQ

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
You plan on switching to 2160p? I wonder how those 1080p videos will look 10 years from now,
I downloaded some 4k movies at 4gb and decided wasn’t worth the extra space , in the future I’m sure they will get smaller and keeping the same quality

Flawless

Flawless One
BGOL Investor
When it comes to lower resolution media on higher resolution TV's, how do you handle old shit?

For Example, DVD rips of old sitcoms?

I have remastered rips of The Honeymooners and Star Trek The Original Series but I also have DVD, 480p rips of shit like Fresh Prince, Family Matters and Three's Company.
my tv will play them in their native resolution but they will have huge borders around them, I don't bother with them any more I just get a new version of them.

Ryokurin

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
VHS collecting I don’t understand , why would I want to watch a movie in shitty quality

And you can’t say is the same as retro gaming/collecting , or is it ?
@EPDC
@Duece

There's a significant amount of content from the early to mid-80s that was never transferred to DVD let alone Bluray. Short of someone capping it and posting it somewhere it's considered lost media. There's also value in the covers that most people haven't seen in 40+ years. It's a small hobby but a legit hobby.