Anyone investing heavily this year??

How much money did you lose/gain this past week?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

doe moe

Rising Star
Platinum Member
We've all heard that its not wise to try and time the market. Some have proven this thesis wrong and actually beat the market.

I get paid twice a month, so each payday I buy two stocks, specifically AMZN and GOOGL. What I do is, if the stocks are up when I'm ready to buy, I'll wait a day or even a week for the prices to drop then buy. Do you think this is good practice or, would you simply buy at the time you have the loot regardless of market prices?

There are times where the prices drop two to five dollars a share and I'll jump on it. However there are times when I'll wait and the price will not drop for several days making the purchase price higher than it was had I purchased on payday.

For those wondering I only do this with these two stocks. My index funds, RothIRA and ETF's, I just buy them outright every month. My 401K through the job is an automatic deduction so no worries on timing there either.

Non-StopJFK2TAB

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Just found this brotha on youtube...looks like he's giving some sound advice.

As a 40 year old black man living in America with his eye on the calendar, I’m looking and listening to this video wondering if it’s for me.

Some folks will say they are for generational wealth. We as black folks were taught pretty early that our health is our wealth. But if I were to take a quick poll in this thread about the last doctor visit, I’m concerned that the responses are going to upset me. How can you say cash rules everything around you and you haven’t been to the physician lately? Fool, you’re the commodity.

TIMEISMONEY

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
We've all heard that its not wise to try and time the market. Some have proven this thesis wrong and actually beat the market.

I get paid twice a month, so each payday I buy two stocks, specifically AMZN and GOOGL. What I do is, if the stocks are up when I'm ready to buy, I'll wait a day or even a week for the prices to drop then buy. Do you think this is good practice or, would you simply buy at the time you have the loot regardless of market prices?

There are times where the prices drop two to five dollars a share and I'll jump on it. However there are times when I'll wait and the price will not drop for several days making the purchase price higher than it was had I purchased on payday.

For those wondering I only do this with these two stocks. My index funds, RothIRA and ETF's, I just buy them outright every month. My 401K through the job is an automatic deduction so no worries on timing there either.
That’s a good strategy. Always buy in the red

rph2005

Rising Star
OG Investor

this here is what i used to do back in the day. matter of fact, this strategy here was the inspiration for starting this thread in the first place. my version of "day trading"
Go to the first posts I made. over time though i had to change my strategy. just like you said, there were times when it would take forever for the stock to turn around and it was costing me time and money. so then i went to options. made a killing and then got killed, and back and forth and back and forth. now i just stick to dollar cost averaging into etfs and index funds.

RoomService

Dinner is now being served.
BGOL Investor

You can also try doing dynamic DCA.

doe moe

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Another part of investing and being financially secure are Wills and Trusts.

At 51, single, no children and never going to marry again, I don't have one yet but 2025 is my mission to take care of that.

I have siblings, nieces and nephews so I have loved ones to pass the loot and home down too.

Anyone here been through the steps that can break down the process and what to expect?

I plan on using a law firm that specializes in Trusts and Estates to make sure my paperwork is correct.

HellBoy

Black Cam Girls -> BlackCamZ.Com
Platinum Member
I asked ChatGPT: Why does the stock market drop when the funds rate drops

When the Federal Reserve lowers the funds rate, it generally aims to stimulate economic growth by making borrowing cheaper. While this often boosts the economy and can lead to stock market gains, there are situations where a drop in the funds rate may cause the stock market to decline. Here are a few key reasons:

1. Economic Concerns

• A cut in the funds rate may signal that the Federal Reserve is worried about the health of the economy. If investors believe that the rate cut is in response to economic weakness, they might sell off stocks due to fears of a slowdown, recession, or declining corporate profits.

2. Expectation vs. Reality

• Sometimes, the market reacts negatively to a rate cut if investors had expected an even larger cut or a more aggressive response from the Fed. If the actual cut doesn't meet market expectations, it can cause disappointment and lead to a stock sell-off.

3. Market Overvaluation

• Lower interest rates can inflate stock prices as investors move away from bonds and other safer investments toward stocks in search of higher returns. If the market is already overvalued, a rate cut may raise concerns about unsustainable price levels, prompting a correction.

4. Profit Margins and Inflation

• While lower rates reduce borrowing costs, they can also stoke inflation fears. If investors believe that inflation will rise too quickly, they may worry that companies’ profit margins will shrink due to rising costs, which could lead to a drop in stock prices.

5. Bond Market Competition

• Lower rates make bonds less attractive because their yields decline. However, in certain cases, the bond market can still be seen as a safer haven compared to stocks, especially in times of economic uncertainty. If investors fear a prolonged downturn, they might prefer the stability of bonds, even with lower yields, which can lead to stock market declines.
In summary, while a funds rate drop is often intended to boost the economy, it can also trigger concerns about underlying economic conditions or market dynamics, causing stock prices to fall.

Flawless

Flawless One
BGOL Investor

When the Federal Reserve lowers the funds rate, it generally aims to stimulate economic growth by making borrowing cheaper. While this often boosts the economy and can lead to stock market gains, there are situations where a drop in the funds rate may cause the stock market to decline. Here are a few key reasons:

1. Economic Concerns

• A cut in the funds rate may signal that the Federal Reserve is worried about the health of the economy. If investors believe that the rate cut is in response to economic weakness, they might sell off stocks due to fears of a slowdown, recession, or declining corporate profits.

• Sometimes, the market reacts negatively to a rate cut if investors had expected an even larger cut or a more aggressive response from the Fed. If the actual cut doesn't meet market expectations, it can cause disappointment and lead to a stock sell-off.

3. Market Overvaluation

• Lower interest rates can inflate stock prices as investors move away from bonds and other safer investments toward stocks in search of higher returns. If the market is already overvalued, a rate cut may raise concerns about unsustainable price levels, prompting a correction.

• While lower rates reduce borrowing costs, they can also stoke inflation fears. If investors believe that inflation will rise too quickly, they may worry that companies’ profit margins will shrink due to rising costs, which could lead to a drop in stock prices.

• Lower rates make bonds less attractive because their yields decline. However, in certain cases, the bond market can still be seen as a safer haven compared to stocks, especially in times of economic uncertainty. If investors fear a prolonged downturn, they might prefer the stability of bonds, even with lower yields, which can lead to stock market declines.
In summary, while a funds rate drop is often intended to boost the economy, it can also trigger concerns about underlying economic conditions or market dynamics, causing stock prices to fall.
Markets usually go up when rates are cut though, unfortunately we have to deal with algos manipulating the market. The market is expecting a 50 point drop this week, if the fed only does 25 I bet we will see all kinds of manipulation.

Madrox

Vaya Con Dio
BGOL Investor

1. Economic Concerns

3. Market Overvaluation

Markets usually go up when rates are cut though, unfortunately we have to deal with algos manipulating the market. The market is expecting a 50 point drop this week, if the fed only does 25 I bet we will see all kinds of manipulation.

Interesting info, def all things to consider.

Seems like the economy vs the market vs even the individual business valuation can all run counter to each other at times.. ESP in the shorter run.
And when the market, in particular, can stop and go based on human emotions and/or algos (as mentioned)... one can make totally sound decisions and still be wrong based on timing or sentiment.

Ceenote

Thinkn with My 3rd Eye!
Platinum Member

Nothing wrong with that. I have money going into my roth ira every week and i have it set to split into the stocks i want them to go into regardless of what price it is..meaning if its high or low..pretty much how our 401k is. I just started this a couple of months ago..the set up part of it

Flawless

Flawless One
BGOL Investor
Nothing wrong with that. I have money going into my roth ira every week and i have it set to split into the stocks i want them to go into regardless of what price it is..meaning if its high or low..pretty much how our 401k is. I just started this a couple of months ago..the set up part of it
Dollar cost averaging.

HellBoy

Platinum Member
image.png

image.png

I asked the question after seeing these graphs.

HellBoy

Platinum Member
Anybody here own/follow DraftKings (DKNG)?

"They expect the company to post a final loss in 2024, before turning a profit of US$422m in 2025. So, the company is predicted to breakeven just over a year from today."

It may really take off when this happens. FanDuel is over $200 per share (FLUT).

Non-StopJFK2TAB

Rising Star
Platinum Member
This is during the housing crash though, the fed was doing emergency cuts to prevent banks and companies from goings bankrupt. Then covid started in 2020 when we see the other drop
Think of high interest in racial terms. The Feds hiking interest rates didn’t and don’t quell inflation. Inflation is the government authorizing certain corporations to help themselves.

Economics been a scam. Paul Volcker is a race hustler.

Ceenote

Thinkn with My 3rd Eye!
Platinum Member
Think of high interest in racial terms. The Feds hiking interest rates didn’t and don’t quell inflation. Inflation is the government authorizing certain corporations to help themselves.

Economics been a scam. Paul Volcker is a race hustler.
Damn bruh.. nice simple breakdown..

Ceenote

Thinkn with My 3rd Eye!
Platinum Member
Think of the concessions unions had to make because of “inflation” at that time.
That might have been the time when our company told our union that they could not give us the raise we were looking for because they didn't have it..they gave us a raise but it wasn't much but they said next time they were gonna take care of us and they did, but still not without a fight..but yeah I remember that..

Non-StopJFK2TAB

Rising Star
Platinum Member
That might have been the time when our company told our union that they could not give us the raise we were looking for because they didn't have it..they gave us a raise but it wasn't much but they said next time they were gonna take care of us and they did, but still not without a fight..but yeah I remember that..
The inflation the Nazi faced was because they wanted to spike the prices for their political gain.

HellBoy

Platinum Member
Anybody here own/follow DraftKings (DKNG)?

"They expect the company to post a final loss in 2024, before turning a profit of US$422m in 2025. So, the company is predicted to breakeven just over a year from today."

It may really take off when this happens. FanDuel is over $200 per share (FLUT).

skypeking

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Question for the board….
Do we think SS will eventually end or will it be a decreased % but guaranteed? Im talking 20+ years down the road.

DC_Dude

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
If its not there when we qualify for it they need to refund us all.
I think those of us who have paying into it will get something....Just got to hope the SSA and lawmakers start the process now to ensure it remains in place for the future....