YOU MIGHT LIKE
EXCLUSIVE 'BLACK LIGHTNING' CLIP REVEALS JEFFERSON PIERCE'S NEW SUIT
Fall TV
Arrow
TYPE
  • TV Show
NETWORK
GENRE
Warning: The following contains spoilers from Tuesday night’s Arrow episode, “Welcome to Hong Kong.” Read at your own risk! i
We’re only two episodes into Arrow‘s final season, but Charlie Barnett has already left an impression as John Diggle Jr., a.k.a. J.J., Lyla (Audrey Marie Anderson) and Diggle’s (David Ramsey) villainous son.
Introduced in the season 8 premiere, J.J. is the cold-blooded leader of the Deathstroke gang in the year 2040, which puts him in direct conflict with his brother Connor (Joseph David-Jones), Mia (Katherine McNamara), and the rest of Team Arrow 2.0. In Tuesday’s night episode, J.J. had a tense sit down with Connor and Mia that showcased the Russian Doll actor’s chilling performance. As. J.J., Barnett projects a dangerous and chilling mix of menace, charisma, and control, which made the moment when J.J. flips the switch and reveals that he was only distracting them while his men invaded their bunker and kidnapped Mia’s brother William (Ben Lewis) all the more impacting.
Even though J.J. comes across as a sociopath and is cast as the villain of the future storyline, Barnett doesn’t and couldn’t view him as fitting into either one of those categories. Below, EW chats with the 31-year-old actor about finding the soul of someone everyone assumes is evil and whether there’s a method to the madness he’s causing.
SERGEI BACHLAKOV/THE CW
ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: When this role came up and he, what attracted you to playing J.J.?
CHARLIE BARNETT:
To be frank, I didn’t know too much about the inner workings of his personal life. If I had known more, I would’ve been wholeheartedly more intrigued. I didn’t know the dynamic between his brothers prior to going into it. The script that they had given me was kind of taken out of context when I auditioned. So in my mind, I didn’t know where it was coming in from, but I did pick up that this guy had been affected by something in his life that left him on this kind of balance point of being a villain etched from a good soul. And that’s what attracted me. I could tell that this is a person struggling with what they thought they should do to support [themselves because of] the challenges that have come their way and also to try to do what he thought was best. I love playing any kind of character that’s dynamic like that.

Aside from that, I was excited to be playing a “villain.” I like being able to take characters that are, for lack of better words, pigeonholed into being bad guys or good guys, or good girls or bad girls, and kind of flipping that on its head and making an audience try to understand where they’re coming from. Also aside from that, the fights are so badass. I just wanted to fight, and Arrow’s fights the sickest on TV.
So from your perspective, J.J. isn’t a sociopath. He has an understandable reason for doing what he’s doing?
Absolutely. I went to Julliard for drama, and one of the tools that they would always offer to us is that you shouldn’t ever judge your characters, especially if you’re playing that character. That’s something that’s stuck with me beyond just being an actor, but into my own life. I have no reason to judge the people around me, especially when I don’t know the context of their entire life. And I think once you figure out more, you start to understand, and maybe not agree, but see why they may have taken the actions that they do. So from the beginning, J.J. has never been a sociopath or villain by any means.

He has been dealt, in his mind, a s–t card. He feels like he has been forgotten and left, specifically by his family, and kind of misplaced. From that, he hasn’t had a guide. More specifically, he hasn’t had his father to help lead him because his father has been preoccupied, which I think is something that a lot of people in this world, outside of the universe of like superheroes, can truly, truly relate to.
In this week’s episode, he kidnaps Mia’s brother William. What can you tease about his grand plan?
I may be wrong about this because I haven’t really [spoken] with the creators and the writers about this point specifically, but I think that J.J. is coming from a place of chaos, that he wants to throw everything up in the air so that everybody kind of sees [what he’s] been living through. You know, this like pulling family members apart. It’s almost like, “I want you to feel the pain that I’ve had to suffer and see how you result with it.” I don’t know that he has necessarily planned everything out. I think he knows that he wants to affect his brother and he knows that he can by affecting William and Mia. I know that problems will ensue.
SERGEI BACHLAKOV/THE CW
Is filling that power vacuum his ultimate goal or is there something hidden behind that?
This is maybe my fault for making it too personal, but he sees that effect of [vigilantism]. With Green Arrow, he’s complicated as a person but also in his work. Throughout the seasons he’s come up, I can’t even count how many times, with [the idea that] these actions have a ramification. And from that ramification, you now have to deal with a person’s father having been lost. Maybe that kid wasn’t a villain, but now they’ve turned into one in order to stand up for what they thought that they had lost out of because of Green Arrow’s actions. With that, it gives an opportunity, in my mind as J.J., for the people of this community to see that maybe the heroes aren’t always doing the best thing. It gives [J.J.] an opportunity to allow the “villains,” the evils of the world, to have more of a voice. I know a lot of people, even myself included as Charlie, may not agree with that, but in order to not judge J.J., I feel like he actually has some sort of a stance.
How familiar were you with Arrow before you joined?
I’m not a huge comic book buff, but I do read a couple and I was into the world kind of nonchalantly through that. But I didn’t know as much about the show, once I booked the part, I went back and started with season 1 and watched all the way through to about midway through season 2 because time was ticking and I was about to fly up to Canada to work. I didn’t actually realize that they were 22 episodes each. So I kinda jumped forward to season 5 and then carried throughout there. But right now I’m like all up to date.
In watching the show, did Manu Bennett’s performance as Deathstroke inform your take on the character?
Yeah, just for excitement, because he was incredible at it and so much fun, and two, because we’re so different. It’s kind of built into the show that he spans larger than just one person or one entity. This character is almost given off to other people who want to take over the helm. That’s how I’m taking it. But for that, I didn’t want to pull anything necessarily from different performances. I wanted to attack on my own, from J.J.’s standpoint. I did want to keep the strength. The strength is undoubtedly there for him on both. But I feel like my character is a little more emotional just because of the relationships to many of the leads.
What’s been the most exciting part of joining the show?
It’s really been the cast. I don’t want to sound too cheesy. I got to work with a lot of these new folks that are building this other universe in the future world. I really hate to sound all juju, hippy-dippy, but getting an opportunity to see these young people, a lot of them have been working more than I have, with this innate energy of excitement and challenge and a desire to do something amazing and push the boundaries has been so priceless. It’s really nice to see people who want to work and want to make things better. Each one of these actors has made it their goal to root it in something true and to work on it as hard as they can to make it vibrant and alive. And I really, really, really appreciate that.
Arrow airs Tuesdays at 9 p.m. on The CW.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
ar802b_0173b-1.jpg

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
A reunited Oliver and Thea fight ninjas in Arrow sneak peek

Arrow star Stephen Amell previews Oliver and Thea's reunion and new dynamic.
By Chancellor Agard
October 29, 2019 at 09:00 AM EDT
FBTwitterMore

Play
Mute
Loaded: 0%

Fullscreen
YOU MIGHT LIKE
EXCLUSIVE 'BLACK LIGHTNING' CLIP REVEALS JEFFERSON PIERCE'S NEW SUIT
Fall TV

Arrow
TYPE
  • TV Show
NETWORK
GENRE
Arrow is staging a long-awaited Queen family reunion in its latest episode.

Original cast member Willa Holland returns as Oliver’s (Stephen Amell) younger sister Thea Queen in Tuesday’s Katie Cassidy-directed episode, “Leap of Faith” After two years spent destroying Lazarus Pits and fighting the Thanatos Guild with Nyssa (Katrina Law) and Roy (Colton Haynes), Thea reunites with her brother and helps him investigate the withholding Monitor (LaMonica Garrett), which takes them on an Indiana Jones-like adventure in Nanda Parbat.

Even though they haven’t seen each other in two years, it feels as though no time has passed, as you can see in the exclusive sneak peek above that shows them fighting some of Talia al Ghul’s (Lexa Doig) students together. The same can be said of Amell and Hollland, who picked up right where they left off when the cameras started rolling.

“It’s like riding a bike,” Amell tells EW of working with Holland again. “It was like she had never really gone. Our first day on that episode, it was mostly just her and I out walking in the forest, so to speak. We just dropped back into our old ways.”

Watching Thea and Oliver fight together is also reminder of how much the former has evolved since Arrow began. Initially introduced as a rebellious teenager, Thea quickly developed into one of the show’s strongest and most grounded characters, and eventually became one of Star City’s hooded heroes. Even though the pilot revealed her nickname was Speedy, which she shares with one of Green Arrow’s sidekicks in the comics, the writers didn’t initially plan on turning her into a vigilante like her brother.

“Where the character went, that kind of surprised all of us,” says Arrow consulting producer Marc Guggenheim. “We gave her the nickname Speedy more as a nickname more than anything else. We never said like, ‘Oh, for sure, we’re going to put her in a suit.'”
While Thea has proven time and time again that she can handle herself, that hasn’t stopped Oliver from being over-protective at times. According to Amell, knowing what she’s been through the past two years will help Oliver finally star trusting her completely.

“I think that we finally just cement the fact that Oliver considers her to be her own person and he trusts her implicitly,” says Amell. “He still wants to protect her but what she says goes because she has not been chilling on a beach. She’s been battling and she’s acquitted herself really well. I’m glad he finally came around right in the nick of time.”
Arrow airs Tuesdays at 9 p.m. on The CW.
This post has been updated.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Arrow recap: Let's talk about that major dad twist

In the Katie Cassidy-directed 'Leap of Faith,' Willa Holland returns as Thea (praise Beebo!) as Oliver, Diggle, and Mia deal with their fears.
By Chancellor Agard
October 29, 2019 at 10:00 PM EDT
FBTwitterMore
DEAN BUSCHER/THE CW
Fall TV
Arrow
S8 E3
B
TYPE
  • TV Show
NETWORK
GENRE
When I sat down to watch tonight’s Arrow episode “Leap of Faith,” I was fully prepared to spend most of my recap gushing about Willa Holland’s long-awaited return as Thea Queen, the show’s best character (don’t @ me). But then the final scene happened, delivering the season’s second-biggest twist: Oliver meets his daughter Mia for the first time.

Here’s how it happens: Future Team Arrow launches an assault on the Deathstroke Gang’s hideout, which leads to JJ murdering Zoe. Furious, Connor tries to kill his brother in retaliation (more on this in a bit), but he’s unable to finish the job because suddenly he and the rest of his team are engulfed in a blinding white light. Next thing we know, Oliver, who was just in Nanda Parbat, magically appears back in Team Arrow’s bunker in the year 2019, much to Rene, Diggle, and Dinah’s surprise. Even more surprising, though, are the strangers standing right behind him. Oliver turns around and comes face to face with Mia, William, and Connor.

“Dad?” asks a shocked Mia as the episode cuts to black.

What a truly great surprise! Yes, we knew Arrow couldn’t end without finding a way for Oliver to meet Mia, but I didn’t expect it to happen so soon. But that’s actually what makes the twist so good. In fact, this move is classic Arrow.

In its heyday, the show burned through plot at an absurd rate. Every episode ended on a cliffhanger, and If one episode planted a bomb, it would usually go off in the very next one. That’s what made the show so entertaining and engrossing in its early seasons (Stephen Amell agrees with this, too). Unfortunately, the show lost that in later seasons and you could feel the show was holding things back because it was so focused on shocking the audience later in the season. Having Oliver meet Mia in episode 3, though? That’s a clear sign that Arrow is definitely getting its groove back in the final season. And I’m excited to see how these two very similar people get on in next week’s episode.

The twist also works in context because the episode’s structure set it up. Even though Oliver and Diggle were temporally separated from Mia, they were connected by a unifying theme: All three of them were struggling not to let the fear of losing their loved ones drive their actions.

Following through on his declaration in last week’s episode, Oliver travels to Nanda Parbat for info on Mar-Novu and ends up having a lovely reunion with his sister, Thea. She decides to accompany him on his quest, which leads him to Talia al Ghul. While Talia doesn’t know anything about Mar-Novu, she believes the information they seek can be found in the journal of Al-Faith, the first Ra’s al Ghul. Said journal, though, is hidden in his secret tomb, which means one thing: Cue the scavenger hunt! Of course, the Thanatos Guild is right behind them because Al-Fatih’s crypt also contains his sword, which would give the person who possesses it control over the League.

Once the Thanatos Guild gets involved, Oliver asks Thea to hang back while he presses forward with Talia alone. You know, typical over-protective Oliver behavior. Normally, I would complain about Oliver regressing into old patterns like this, especially with Thea who has proven time and time again that she can take care of herself, but the writers smartly reveal this isn’t about Oliver doubting Thea’s skills. He’s scared for her safety because he just visited a world where she died because he wasn’t there to protect her and, more importantly, he also just witnessed the complete destruction of an Earth. Seeing that would justifiably rattle anyone.

Oliver isn’t the only one who is still shaken by seeing Earth-2 destroyed either. Diggle, who travels to Kaznia with Lyla to rescue Ben Turner’s wife and son, is also more scared than usual after what he saw on Earth-2. “Seeing a universe just disappear, I don’t know, it’s like looking into the eye of God. It changes you. It changed me. I can’t risk losing you,” says Diggle. Lyla reminds him that no one knows the future and they should focus on enjoying the time they have together.

I really like that Arrow isn’t ignoring or breezing past the aftermath of the season premiere. It’s still hanging over the characters two episodes later, which makes complete sense. This is also a sign of growth on the show’s part because it’s not the first time Team Arrow has faced an apocalyptic event. A nuclear bomb went off in a populated town in season 4, and yet you never really got the sense that catastrophe truly affected the team even though it should have, especially because they had been trying to prevent that from happening. Here, though, Earth-2’s destruction isn’t something they can forget.

In the end, both Oliver and Diggle learn they can’t let fear control them and must trust those around them. So, Diggle goes through with saving Sandra and a young Connor Hawke from Gholem Qadir’s vengeful son (shoutout to the season 2 throwback), and Oliver trusts Thea to take on and defeat Talia al Ghul in a fight over the first Ra’s al Ghul’s sword. After winning, Thea decides to keep the sword and invites Talia to help her turn the League of Assassins into a League of Heroes. And Oliver knows that Thea can handle this and doesn’t need to be there.

Meanwhile, in the future, Mia, Connor, and Zoe rush back to the bunker, where they discover that William managed to take out JJ’s goons on his own and is safe. Mia, like her father in the present, gets hit with a rush of fear and refuses to let William offer himself up as bait to JJ, who is targeting every member of the Star City unification movement. In fact, that fear is what leads to them just attacking the Deathstroke Gang’s stronghold and ultimately Zoe’s death. What I found most interesting about this plot, though, is how Connor and JJ are stuck in the same cycle of violence that Diggle was in with his brother Andy. In season 4, Diggle killed his brother after he helped Damien Darhk murder Laurel, and now in the year 2040, Connor faces a similar decision with JJ following Zoe’s death. And Connor tries to kill JJ, too and might have if it weren’t for the whole time travel bit. Very interested in seeing what Diggle makes of his son’s drama next week.

Wall of Weird:

• Thea reveals that Nyssa is off running an errand in Thailand, which is clearly code for Hawaii, and Roy did come to see her after the events of the season 7 finale.
  • Lyla failed to tell Diggle that she’s been working for the Monitor.
  • “I missed watching you kick ass,” Diggle, to Lyla, after they take down two guards.
  • “You can’t change the future Ollie. The past teaches us you might as well stop trying to,” Thea, to Oliver. Clearly, she hasn’t had a chat with Team Flash recently.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Felicity's back! Emily Bett Rickards returning for Arrow's series finale

By Chancellor Agard
November 01, 2019 at 12:28 PM EDT
FBTwitterMore

Play
Mute
Loaded: 0%

Fullscreen
YOU MIGHT LIKE
OLIVER AND THEA COLLECT A DEBT AND FIGHT ASSASSINS IN EXCLUSIVE 'ARROW' CLIP

Arrow
TYPE
  • TV Show
NETWORK
GENRE
Olicity will be whole once again — because Emily Bett Rickards is coming back to Arrow.
EW has confirmed that Rickards is returning as Felicity for the superhero drama’s series finale. Star Stephen Amell broke the news on Twitter Friday morning, writing, “There’ll be a lot of news coming out about final episode over the next few months. I prefer when you hear it from us. Welcome back Emily.”

“We couldn’t be happier or more thrilled. No other way to do our finale,” Arrow consulting producer Marc Guggenheim tweeted shortly after the news broke. “You’ll find our about more old friends returning in the coming weeks…”

Rickards departed the show at the end of the seventh season. Initially introduced as a one-off character in the drama’s third episode, Felicity quickly evolved and became one of the integral members of Team Arrow. She also eventually married Oliver Queen (Stephen Amell). In the season 7 finale‘s flash-forwards, Felicity helped her children, William (Ben Lewis) and Mia (Katherine McNamara), save Star City 2040, and then departed with the Monitor (LaMonica Garrett), who took her wherever Oliver went after he presumably died working for him many years earlier.

Losing Felicity before Arrow‘s final season was a big change, especially for Amell who felt “not great” doing the last 10 episodes without her. “I think Arrow as you know it effectively ended in 722,” Amell told EW in July. “It’s a different show in season 8.”

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

Stephen Amell reflects on his Arrow journey: 'I f—ing care a lot about it'

By Chancellor Agard
October 14, 2019 at 03:52 PM EDT
Stephen Amell‘s time under the hood is coming to an end. On Tuesday, Arrow returns for its eighth and final season, which takes his Oliver Queen, a.k.a. the Green Arrow, on the road as he tries to prevent the destruction of the multiverse in the forthcoming crossover “Crisis on Infinite Earths.” Ahead of the final season premiere, EW is sharing the chat we had with Amell in July for our August Arrowverse cover story (please note that some of these quotes have appeared previously on EW.com).
ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: When did you realize you were ready to hang up the hood and end your run on the show?
STEPHEN AMELL:
So, we were most of the way through season 6 and I called up Greg [Berlanti], and I go, “I’m contracted through season 7, but I’d like [that] to be the end.” And he’s like, “Okay, take a second to think about this, and I’ll call you back in a week, and we’ll see.” And he called me back in a week, and he goes, “How are you feeling?” And I go, “Okay, it’s time.” And he convinced me, because he’s way smarter than I am, to come back for a limited run this year, and I think that it’s really given the show an opportunity to go out on its own terms. I’m scared. I’m legitimately frightened about the end of it, and I’m very emotional and melancholy, but it’s time.
What about the ending has you frightened?

I’m 38 years old, and I got this job when I was 30. I’d never had a job for more than a year. The fact that I’ve done this for the better part of a decade, and I’m not going to do it anymore, is a little frightening. But then I remember that I was able to move to L.A. in 2010 because my grandfather lent me $15,000 and I had no citizenship, I had nothing. So try to put your level of being frightened into a relative capacity.
Was there a specific moment in season 6 that led to this decision?
No, no, no, no, no. There wasn’t a specific a moment when it came to the creative direction of the show. I’ve always loved it. There have been seasons that I’ve liked less than others. But it was just time to move on. My daughter is turning six in October, and she goes to school in L.A., and my wife and I want to raise her in Los Angeles. When it came time to do Arrow, I didn’t really have any choice. They offered me the job, and if they had said to me, “Yeah, you can have the job, but you have to pay us $5,000 per episode just for you to be in the show.” I would have been like, “Yeah, okay. Sure, I’ll do that.” So it’s more about having time and opportunity now.

Play Video
YOU MIGHT LIKE

OLIVER AND THEA COLLECT A DEBT AND FIGHT ASSASSINS IN EXCLUSIVE 'ARROW' CLIP
EXCLUSIVE SUPERGIRL CLIP: 'IN PLAIN SIGHT'
MICHAEL BOWEN WORE HIS “UNCLE JACK” ‘BREAKING BAD’ COSTUME THROUGH THE AIRPORT
From talking to the producers, I know you were the first person to audition for this role. What do you remember about that experience?
So I went to a hockey game with my cousin Robbie [Amell] on a Saturday night, and he goes, “Have you gotten an audition for Arrow yet?” And I go, “No, what’s Arrow?” He goes, “It’s based on the Green Arrow.” He goes, “Well, I read the pilot, and I pictured you the entire time that I was reading it.” He’s like, “I’ve got an audition, but I actually don’t want to go, because you are going to get cast in this role.” I went in [to audition], and David Nutter was there, Marc Guggenheim, Andrew Kreisberg. Greg was in his office, because he was like, “If you find someone interesting, let me know.” And I went in, read, and Dave Nutter looked at me, and he goes, “Can you go outside for a couple minutes?” And I go, “Yeah, for sure.” And I came back into the room, and there are 11 more people there, and they just had me read again….I got the job the following Tuesday morning.
In reading the pilot script, what did you initially connect with that made you want to do the show?
Have you ever worn a superhero suit?
Apart from on Halloween? No.
Well, it’s f—ing awesome.
Yes, that’s true.
And that was it. Hung got canceled, and I needed a job, and I thought the script was great. And Greg Berlanti at that point in time wasn’t Greg Berlanti, but David Nutter was David Nutter. And he’s one of the most kind, generous, thoughtful men that I’ve ever met. And he believed in me, and I believed in him. It was the opportunity of a lifetime.
When it premiered, Arrow stood out from other superhero shows that had recently been on the air. Did it feel like you all were doing something new in season 1, or were you just focused on trying to get it done?
Just trying to get the work done. The first season was very, very difficult for me. Everything was going great. They wanted my character to be very stoic and disaffected, right? And then the show came out and got a great rating and was a smash hit, and then all of a sudden I had an acting coach, because all of a sudden now that the show was a hit, people wanted to have an opinion. We were on our own for the first nine, 10 episodes. That was very, very tough.
At the end of the first season, once I realized I was done, I flew back from Vancouver and I did The Tonight Show with Jay Leno, and Carol Burnett was the first guest. We went for dinner afterwards with my buddy and my wife, and he goes, “You’re done, man. You’re done with season 1.” And I go, “Yeah, I am.” And I got sick really bad. I got walking pneumonia. I was sick until the fourth episode of season 2.
Wait, seriously? How did you work?
I faked it until I made it.
Carlos Serrao for EW
What was it like adjusting to the physical demands of the role?
I loved it. I loved all of it. Doing a lot of the stuff that I did in the pilot was proof of concept for the series. I had to do it. In episode 2, episode 3, episode 4, I had to do it period, because photographically when you do stunts, they were able to film me doing it. They were able to shoot on my face, and if we didn’t continue on in that manner, something would have been missing.
Do you remember when you realized the show was a hit?
People think that the height of the show is when it’s premiering, when my torso is 90 ft. tall on Sunset Boulevard. That’s not it. It actually compounds over the years, and people become really, really big fans because of the amount of content that you’re pushing up, right? I didn’t realize that the show was a giant hit until 2017, when I was on an island called Panarea, which was off the coast of Lipari, which is off the coast of Sicily. It’s so small, there aren’t even cars — golf carts, that’s it. We walked into this restaurant that looked closed, and this woman walks out. We’re like, “Are you guys open?” And she goes, “Si, Arrow.” I’m like, are you f—ing kidding me?

At what point did you start to feel ownership of the character?
Well, I got it during episode 6, and then I got an acting coach after episode 9. That threw it off a little bit. Right around the midway point of the second season. If a director wants something from me specifically, I’m happy to give it to them, but they better come prepared because I know everything about the show. They’re like, “Well, we want to Oliver to do this,” and I’ll be like, “Well, there’s a problem with that. In episode 306…” And if they’re prepared and they have a good reason, then I’ll do what they want.
There are some actors who don’t have that much knowledge about their shows. Did this come naturally to you, or did you actively work to become an expert on the show?
I just care a lot. Arrow was the most important thing in my entire life by a wide margin. And then I got married, and it became the co-most important thing in my entire life. Then my wife and I had [our daughter], and Arrow dropped to number three. But I f—ing care a lot about it. I really, really do. I think about it all the time.
For the first five seasons, we aired on Wednesday nights. On Wednesdays, whenever a new episode was airing, I don’t care about ratings that much, but I would have a recurring dream that I was naked in bed, but the entire crew was waiting for me to get up, and they were all in my bedroom. This happened every f—ing time. I don’t want to call it a nightmare, but it wasn’t a nice dream. This happened because I really care. It extends beyond personal satisfaction. It extends to just other people, cast, and crew getting the opportunity to do something like this. This is not common. You know what I mean? We’re going into our eighth season. This just doesn’t happen.
Shane Harvey/The CW
I asked Beth Schwartz this when she took over as showrunner, but I’m curious to hear your answer, too. In your opinion, when do you think Arrow is at its best? Like, this is the platonic ideal of an Arrow episode?
523. I was mad that more people didn’t die when the island blew up. Episode 220 when Susanna Thompson as Moira died, I love that episode. Episode 116, when Tommy finds out that I’m the Green Arrow. Episode 214 when I confront Laurel about drinking. Nick Copus directed that episode, and he went handheld. I’m very, very proud of that scene. I love 309. But when is it at its best?
It’s at its best in season 2 when Sara reappears. I’m thinking as I read the script, “Okay, cool, she’s coming back and the big reveal is going to happen when her dad Quentin [Paul Blackthorne] gets to see her again. That’s probably not going to happen for a couple of episodes.” Nope, [it happened in] act three. That’s when Arrow is at its best. Greg used to say all the time, “You have a hit TV show until you don’t, so don’t save s—t.”
One of the show’s biggest surprises was, of course, Emily Bett Rickards as Felicity
Yeah, you can’t plan. They cast a girl in episode 3 that all of a sudden became the linchpin.
The Olicity of it all is such a big part of why people love the show. What do you think has drawn them to it?
Have you seen Emily act? That’s what makes it work. She’s supremely talented and awesome and carved out a space that no one anticipated. I don’t know that show works if we don’t randomly find her.
How are you feeling about entering this final season, at least as of now, without her?
Not great. I think Arrow as you know it effectively ended in 722. It’s a different show in season 8. It’s like we’re playing our greatest hits. The premiere is the pilot. It’s almost like episode 1 is an ode to season 1. Episode 2 is an ode to season 3.
How’d you feel when you started getting the scripts for Arrow’s final season?
It was weird, actually, because Beth just had her first kiddo, and so the writers’ room, instead of taking a break after the season ended, worked through. Her assistant sent me episode 801 two weeks after we wrapped. I didn’t read it for four weeks because I needed some time to reset. I’m so excited about them. I just hope that we get to do all the things that we want to do. Don’t leave anything in the quiver.
Arrow started out as this grounded and realistic show, but now we have Oliver running around with the Monitor. How does it feel to get to this point where it’s like there aren’t anymore rules?
It’s fantastic, because I’m going to get to work with actors this year that I’ve never worked with before, that if we were grounded I’d never get to work with. I’m pumped we’re going to get to do that this year.
What is the most important thing you’ll take away from this experience?
I started the show dating a girl and I’m walking away from the show as a husband and as a father, and a way better actor. I don’t mean for that to sound ostentatious, but I’ve got reps now. I’m very proud of how hard I’ve worked at being a good actor. That’s not to say I’m not going to be s—t in something sometime. But I feel like walking away from the show, for me, there’s no room that I can’t go into, and there’s no scenario where I will be intimidated because I’ve worked nonstop for eight years. And I love it.
The biggest thing I’ll take away from doing the show is my kiddo really admires what I do. She comes to the set all the time, and I know that won’t last forever, but she sits there in video village, and she wears her cans, and she calls action every once in a while. Honestly, that’s the coolest thing.
What has it been like to watch Arrow give way to an entire universe?
It’s been amazing. I’m so proud of Grant [Gustin] and Melissa [Benoist], and I really like that Caity [Lotz] has grown into the leader that she has. I’m pumped for Ruby [Rose]. It’s great [that] you do a show and it births other shows.
When I spoke to Marc, he said he woke up that morning and wrote the final scene. Do you know how the show’s going to end?
I do. He told me today, and I cried. I cried as he was telling me. There are a lot of hurdles to get over to make that final scene.
Arrow airs Tuesdays at 9 p.m. on The CW

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Before i forget...

Thea having that fireside chat with Ollie

Completely honest with each other

And she didn't blink once concerning a cosmic being or Ollie dying.

It was refreshing as f*ck.

And that snowflake still looks like a high school senior. Wtf??

Her and black buffy drinking vampire blood.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
This was not a very reassuring example of how the spin off will work.

The kids aint ready.

Great episode none the less

Last edited: