DCs Legends of Tomorrow

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
OK yes this is kinda a repeat of them going and collecting famous figures throughout time

AGAIN

But the tone and pace seem strong this season.

I still want more powers from our heroes

but the writing is already strong...

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Legends of Tomorrow star Tala Ashe previews Zari's 'struggle' in Masked Singer spoof

Tala Ashe discusses Zari 1.0's recent cameo, feeling like "Sad Beyoncé" in Sunday's episode, and more.
By Chancellor Agard
May 14, 2021 at 09:00 AM EDT

Tala Ashe's Zari 2.0 is stepping into the spotlight once again.
In this Sunday's DC's Legends of Tomorrow, Zari enters a ridiculous singing competition series called Da Throne — a riff on The Masked Singer and similar shows — in the year 2045 to defeat a murderous alien warrior named Lord Knoxacrillion, who believes winning is the key to conquering Earth. (It's a premise that only makes sense in the context of Legends, albeit barely.) Unfortunately, competing on Da Throne forces Zari back into the superficial celebrity life she left behind when she boarded the Waverider in season 5, tests her tenuous fling with Constantine (Matt Ryan), and leads to Ashe performing two very different songs in the hour.
Below, EW chats with Ashe about Zari 1.0's recent cameo, her latest musical experience, and more.
Tala Ashe as Zari on 'DC's Legends of Tomorrow.'

| CREDIT: THE CW
ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: Zari 1.0! How did you react when you found out you'd get to briefly play her again in last week's episode?

TALA ASHE:
I'm always excited to see her kind of pop up in the scripts, and it was a really nice surprise for me. It's sort of like going back to an old friend that you really like, so I'm always quite happy to spend some time with her, even if it's a short little bit. [Co-showrunner Phil Klemmer] reached out to me and asked, "What book do you think Zari would be reading?" I picked the Shahnameh, which is the Persian Book of Kings; it's kind of our Odyssey. So, it was a really, really brief moment where I was reading a book that had meaning for me and, I think, would have meaning for her. And I love that gal! It was also a fun experience to be like, ugh, she's listening to this other version of her and her brother being so annoying about the totem, and she could just snap her fingers and stop this particular fight. Yeah, it was nice to reunite with her for a moment.
One of my friends pointed how it's kind of dark that Zari just has to sit in the totem and listen to all her friends live their lives without her.
I know, I know. [Laughs] If it were up to me, we would maybe explore a little bit in season 7: What are the rules of the totem? Is she able to like put on headphones so that she's not tortured by what she's missing out on? But yeah, when you actually try to think about what the nuts and bolts of what her life is, it's a lot of sacrifice to be listening to what she's missing out on. But in that sort of Legends way, I'm like, "Uh, don't think too deeply about it! It will unravel."

This week's episode is a really fun riff on The Masked Singer and other singing competition shows. How did the writers pitch it to you? Because it's funny that this is the third season in a row that they've found an excuse to have to sing.
I have to say when I first read it or heard about it, again in a very typical Legends way, I couldn't kind of conceive of how it was going to work. And it was the beginning of the season also, so I really didn't understand how the alien piece of it would fit in. But I'm so grateful to the writers and EPs for always giving me a challenge, and I knew this was going to be a challenge for me because it wasn't just the singing, it was the dancing. I kept calling myself "Sad Beyoncé" [Laughs]. My first thought was actually, I just need to try not to embarrass myself, and I need rehearsals with the dancers. They were really great about connecting me with Kelly Konno, who is our amazing choreographer. She also did the Bollywood episode that I worked on a couple years ago. She's just out of this world. So, that was my primary concern because I do think it's a really tricky episode.
The two songs you sing are stylistically very different, both in terms of the episode and what you've sung on the show so far. One is a very modern pop song and the other is a bit sweeter. Beyond dance rehearsal, did you do anything to prepare for the singing?
They were very different stylistically than what I've done before on the show, so I just did what I always do, which is a lot of research on people who do this kind of singing. I watched a lot of VMA performances. You know, Britney Spears, Beyoncé, and Doja Cat. And I asked the writers, "What were you guys thinking of in terms of the songs?" I also asked Kelly, "What were you thinking of when you were choreographing it?" So I just sort of did my best in terms of the research and landed where I landed, Sad Beyoncé. [Laugh]
Tala Ashe as Zari and Matt Ryan as John Constantine on 'DC's Legends of Tomorrow.'

This episode also explores Zari and Constantine's romance. What do you find particularly interesting about this pairing?
I think they totally don't make sense on paper, and there's an acknowledgment between them of that fact. Yet, there is an attraction there, and oddly enough, and we do see this play out, I think they're sort of able to be themselves with each other as time goes on, in spite of their defenses. There's something… It also happens when Matt and I are acting with each other where we as actors intellectually are like, "Isn't it crazy that these two kids are having a quasi-fling?" But when we're inside of the work, there is a real [sense that], in a weird way, they bring out really good things in each other and actually open each other up a bit. Constantine has his own stuff, and Zari, I think, is closed off in a similar way, actually, to Zari 1.0. There's something about Constantine that's exciting to her, and ultimately, even though she has her guard up, she's willing to take a leap with this guy.
When we first met Zari 2.0, she was a celebrity and running a business, but she left it all behind when she boarded the Waverider. How does she handle stepping back into the spotlight and her old life?
I don't know how much of this translated into the episode, but what I was thinking about at the beginning of the episode when there's a moment where they're like, "We have to go back to your home and deal with this alien in your time," there's a sort of dread that she has because I think in the time that she's been on the Waverider, she has evolved and left behind that part of her and there's a relief in not having to put on that façade. So when she realizes that she's going back, there's a kind of dread. Once she steps into that world, she knows that mask very intimately and realizes she has to put it on to kind of get the job done. She knows the role she's expected to play in that world, but it's increasingly getting more and more uncomfortable for her. I think that's what I was exploring for myself in this episode.
Her heart is starting to open up and be intrigued by this energy of Constantine and the team, and then she's juxtaposed with going back to this old life of hers that was so superficial. More than anything, that's what I was thinking about in the episode: How do I show the struggle? It's kind of like maybe hanging out with your high school friends again, being like, "Oh, that's who I was to these people and that's who they expect me to be, but I'm actually not that. I'm outgrowing that." I think Constantine ends up being a catalyst [because] he's so disgusted and turned off by the Dragon Girl persona.
Finally, is something up with Gideon? Because it feels like she's become kinda dark this season: She was very eager to dissect Spooner's brain in the premiere; she added blood-splatter to news reports about the burger massacre in episode 2; and in this week's episode, she says she loves an evisceration. Does this personality change become a bigger plot point this season, or is it just supposed to be a funny new quirk?
I don't know. I may be reading between the lines of where the writers were mentally while writing at the beginning of the season. [Laughs] But I don't have a good answer for you actually. I think we have seen Gideon evolve, and I think it's interesting to make her more human in a certain way in terms of acknowledging the reality of the insanity of the Legends' lives. And also that she's susceptible, [which] is something we kind of find as the season goes on — that she is not this infallible God creature [and] she's vulnerable in certain ways. We do see that as the season goes on. But I really like the idea of the Gideon back story, like what's really going on for her in her void?
DC's Legends of Tomorrow airs Sundays at 8 p.m. on The CW.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Exfactor was fucking hilarious

Legends of Tomorrow star Nick Zano teases a Nate-Zari 2.0 team-up, season 6's 'best episode'

Nick Zano reveals the funny advice he gave Arrow's David Ramsey when he directed season 6's Western episode
By Chancellor Agard
May 21, 2021 at 08:00 AM EDT

Get ready for (now) classic Nate (Nick Zano) and Zari 2.0 (Tala Ashe) mess-around in this Sunday's DC's Legends of Tomorrow.
After Mick Rory (Dominic Purcell) takes command on a mission in 1962, the team finds themselves caught in the middle of the Cuban Missile Crisis, and their presence only aggravates an already tense global situation. To stop the outbreak of World War III, they split up: Ava (Jes Macallan), Mick, Spooner (Lisseth Chavez), and Behrad (Shayan Sobhian) handle things in Cuba, while Nate and Zari go undercover in President John F. Kennedy's White House. Of course, teaming up with Zari brings up some of Nate's unresolved feelings for Zari 1.0.

Below, EW chats with Zano about this fun Nate and Zari team-up, what he calls the season's "biggest episode," and more.
'Legends of Tomorrow'

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: Before diving into this episode, let's talk about Nate in general. After suffering so much loss, how is he holding up this season emotionally?
NICK ZANO:
We started off in a dark place with David Bowie, and then we transitioned out. It's weird because in talking about it, I realized that through Nate's love, loss, love, loss journey of these past six seasons, out of those experiences comes an emotional caretaker this season. Someone who's aware of what people are feeling because he's felt them. [It's] great for someone who's been through so much to share that support to somebody going through a lot of emotional stuff. And that's where Nate is as of season 6.

Part of that transition must also be the result of Caity Lotz's Sara being abducted, right?
Certainly. When he sees what Ava is going through with a loss of love, it's something he's very aware of. And it's one of those things [where he says], "Hey, we're going to get through this. We're going to get through this together. We're going to make it right." And that's his approach.
What can you preview about Nate and Zari 2.0's team-up in this week's episode?
Well, it's always fun to work with Tala. She's a pro, and it's a ton of fun. I did not know Tala was doing a Southern accent until we started rolling. And I think during the first take, you can actually see me react to her choosing to do a southern accent during the episode. So I think they used the one where I hear her do it for the first time. And that's a real reaction.
What leads to their team up?
One, Nate's a huge, obviously JFK buff, and two, Zari 2.0 was obsessed with Jackie O and her style. So it was the most organic pair-up. I was like, "I'm going with you because I'm not missing it." And then a new team arises from the passions of the Legends.
How does Nate handle working so closely with Zari 2.0 given that he just lost Zari 1.0?
Well, we address that early in this episode and deal with it, which was nice because that's the elephant in the room. And through the season, we see a relationship dynamic that's new, and that's fresh for both myself and Tala. And it's actually a lot of fun. As much as I love 1.0, I find 2.0 hilarious. So there's 2.0 choices that get made that crack me up.
CREDIT: THE CW
Beyond her Southern accent, were there any other moments when she made you break?
I crack up easily. At this point, everybody knows how to crack me up. And they use that power whenever they decide. It's up to them. I'm very curious about our gag reel this year. I don't know if it was because of COVID and we just all needed a laugh, but people were gunning for me and trying to crack me up. And she knows what to do. So does Matt [Ryan], so does Adam [Tsekhman]. Oh Lord, Adam has every hack into cracking me up. [Laughs]
Is there a moment that stands out from this season?
Oh, dude, we have an episode, a murder mystery episode, essentially a Clue episode. And that man made a choice at the beginning of the episode where I wasn't even in the scene anymore. I was watching him. I was like, "What is happening right now?" He cracks me up. He's got the cheat code to my belly laugh.
On top of that Clue episode, we also have the Caity Lotz's animation episode coming up. Which episode are you most looking forward to people checking out?
Well, we had a Western episode this season, which David Ramsey directed. And when you read certain scripts in certain episodes of the season, and you're like, "Oh, this is going to be a big episode." This Western was, I think, by far our biggest episode of the season. And it took a lot of work, a lot of manpower, a lot of plowing through when the elements weren't on our side. And I got to see a rough cut of it. And I was like, "Well, hot damn, this is a fantastic episode. I can't wait for people to see it." Because while we're making it, it was so difficult. And when I saw it cut, I was like, "This may be one of our best episodes of the season."
It feels like you haven't gotten too many opportunities to work with David Ramsey before. What was it like collaborating with him as both an actor and director?
First thing I said to Ramsey on the first day was, "Ramsey, this is SNL by comparison to Arrow." I was like, "Enjoy the ride and have fun." And Ramsey was great. He put out a really fantastic episode. I know for him, this thing represented a ton of challenges that he persevered through and out of it came a really phenomenal episode of our show.
DC's Legends of Tomorrow airs Sundays at 8 p.m. on the CW.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Legends is fucking insane...

Playing football with a Nuclear Football. that shit is wild

Legends of Tomorrow breakout Beebo is getting an animated Christmas special on the CW

Beebo la-la-loves the holidays in a new holiday special, Beebo Saves Christmas, narrated by Victor Garber and starring Ben Diskin, Yvette Nicole Brown, and more.
By Chancellor Agard
May 25, 2021 at 02:00 PM EDT

After briefly replacing Christmas, Beebo is returning to save it — most likely with consensual cuddles — in a new holiday adventure.
On Tuesday, the CW revealed that Beebo, the lovable fuzzy toy from DC's Legends of Tomorrow, is getting his own one-hour animated special, Beebo Saves Christmas. Not only that, but the event will be narrated by former Legends star Victor Garber, who played Martin Stein, a.k.a. one-half of Firestorm.
For the uninitiated, Beebo is a cute Tickle-Me Elmo-like toy and the zany time-traveling superhero dramedy's breakout character. No, seriously, Legends star Caity Lotz often refers to him as "the star of our show," as she does in the video above. Beebo was first introduced in season 3's "Beebo the God of War," which saw a younger version of Martin Stein accidentally travel back to North America circa 1000AD with a Beebo he bought for his daughter in tow. Of course, the Vikings he encounters believe the cute talking stuffed animal is a deity, specifically a god of war ordering them to conquer via phrases like "I la-la-love you" and "Beebo hungry!" This anachronism causes Christmas to be replaced by Beebomas in the future, which is how the Legends get involved.

CREDIT: DEAN BUSCHER/THE CW
Thankfully, that wasn't the last time we saw Beebo. Legends of Tomorrow's third season climaxed with the titular screwups using magical totems to Voltron into a giant-sized Beebo and then cuddling/body-slamming a demonic time dragon named Mallus into submission. To this day, that finale remains one of the show's wildest set pieces. Since then, Beebo has become synonymous with Legends, to the point that he appeared on the Legends-themed San Diego Comic-Con bags in 2018 instead of, you know, the cast. Fans have been clamoring for official Beebo merch, but the Powers That Be have yet to deliver on that front.
"If you don't understand Beebo, then you don't understand Legends," star Jes Macallan recently told EW.
Now after saving the world, Beebo is returning to help find the real meaning of Christmas. In Beebo Saves Christmas, an efficiency-obsessed elf named Sprinkles (Chris Kattan) decides the holiday would run better without Santa Claus, thus prompting Beebo and his delightfully named buddies to travel to the North Pole.

In addition to Garber, the special's voice cast includes: Ben Diskin as Beebo, Kimiko Glenn as Tweebo, Yvette Nicole Brown as Turbo, Keith Ferguson as Fleabo, and Ernie Hudson as Santa. Longtime Legends writer Matthew Maala teamed up with Kevin Shinick (Spider-Man) to pen the special, which is executive-produced by Arrowverse vets Greg Berlanti, Sarah Schechter, David Madden, Phil Klemmer, Grainne Godfree, Marc Guggenheim, Keto Shimizu, and Teen Titans Go!'s Sam Register.
Beebo Saves Christmas is one of three original specials heading to the CW at the end of the 2021. The other two are The Scooby-Doo Reunion Special, and The Waltons' Homecoming, which commemorates the 50th anniversary of The Homecoming: A Christmas Story and stars Scandal's Bellamy Young. All dates and times will be revealed later.
Now that Beebo has his own animated special, it's time for the network to release some official toys. In the meantime, though, read EW's interview with the former god here.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

Legends of Tomorrow star Caity Lotz on directing a semi-animated Astra-centric hour

By Chancellor Agard
June 03, 2021 at 10:00 AM EDT

ADVERTISEMENT
SaveFBTweetMore

00:04
00:15

Share:'Legends of Tomorrow' season 6 trailer is wild
Direct Link

DC's Legends of Tomorrow

WATCH IT NOW ON
Netflix, fuboTV, The CW, and more options
Caity Lotz is stepping into the director's chair once again on DC's Legends of Tomorrow.
After helming last season's John Woo homage "Mortal Khanbat," the star was handed this Sunday's Astra-centric episode, which is very different from her directorial debut. Titled "The Satanist's Apprentice," the hour explores how Astra (Olivia Swann) is adjusting — or rather, not adjusting — to life on Earth. Unfortunately, John Constantine (Matt Ryan) is of no help whatsoever, so she turns to an unlikely source for support: alien-magic researcher Aleister Crowley, whom Constantine bound on Earth. In a very Legends twist, though, Astra winds up trapped in a Disney-esque animation sequence as a result of this wicked partnership. Meanwhile, on a distant alien planet, Sara (Lotz) gets well-acquainted with her captor, Bishop (Raffi Barsoumian), who lets her in on his evil plan via an old-school presentation on a projector.
Balancing the tones of both plots was "difficult" because "they didn't go together," Lotz tells EW. "They were kind of their own thing, and both of those storylines were pretty full and dynamic and had their very own loud personality. I'd say that was a challenge, making sure those storylines [fit] together so it still felt like you were watching the same show, which is hard when you have space aliens and then Disney princess animation and normal life."

Below, Lotz opens up about her latest directorial effort, working closely with Swann, directing herself, and more.
Olivia Swann and Caity Lotz in 'Legends of Tomorrow'

| CREDIT: THE CW; INSET: JORDAN NUTTALL/THE CW
ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: What was your reaction when you read the script for the first time?
CAITY LOTZ:
I was like, "How the hell are we going to do this?" [Laughs] I had no experience in animation whatsoever. Actually, I reached [out] to a few TV directors and I'm like, "Hey, uh, do you know how this works? How do I even prep for this?" I couldn't find one person who was like, "Yeah, this is how it goes." As soon as I talked to Tony Cervone, who was the animation director, all of my worries went away. It was such a fun process. And we started [prepping the episode] pretty early because animation takes a lot of time.

How much directing on your end goes into an animation sequence like this?
At first, I was like, "Do I have to tell them every single shot [I want] and exactly what to do with this and that?" But Tony's got years and years of experience and they know what they were doing. Basically, I get to do the fun part of broad strokes things where I'm like, "Oh, I'd really like in this moment for Astra to be turned into animation, but the house is still in live-action. I'd like to have a moment of that to see it coming down," and just the bigger ideas of things I'd want to see. In the same [way], Olivia and I talked a lot about what the princess would look like. She really wanted to make sure she had freckles because Olivia's got these great freckles, and making sure her skin tone matched what her actual skin tone looks like. They did so much great stuff and then when they'd send things back — they'd basically do a moving storyboard — and then it's just giving notes on things. "Can we make the coloring more saturated? Like crush the blacks?" The stuff they were coming up with was so cool. Also, I don't even know what they can do. Tony would be like, "We're going to make him giant and bust through the house!" And it's like, "Yes!"
The episode starts out in live-action. How does the animation come into play in the story?
There's this whole theme of Astra [being] a bit helpless in the beginning. She's here on Earth and all the things you would grow up having to learn how to do [she doesn't know]. She's a boss lady, but in Hell, where things are very different. Now she's like, "Wifi? What? A washing machine? I have to buy food from a farmers' market?" She doesn't have any life skills. Adulting. Basically, she needs to learn how to adult. Constantine is not helping her at all. There's this bit of her being a helpless princess. She's wanting John to save her, but no one is coming to save her. She's having to do everything [on her own]. She's trying to learn magic and do it on her own. Crowley essentially casts a spell, and that's how she gets trapped as a Disney princess who can't help but sing. [It's] so fun to see Astra, who is such a strong and prideful character, become this helpless Disney princess.
When we did the IG Live during Six Days of Legends, you mentioned how much you loved working closely with Olivia and Matt on this episode. Is there a moment that stands out to you?
Olivia, we put her through the wringer, and she was so down. She was very excited to do this episode because it's such a big one for her, and she really just brought it. Montage bits take forever to shoot. It only takes up like an eighth of a page, but it takes a long time to film, so we were really having to rush. There were days where she had to change her outfit from being in her boss-lady suit, and then I'm like, "You have 10 minutes to change into your workout outfit." Then I'm like [while shooting], "Give me Flashdance feet movements!" and I'm trying to teach her exercise workout things, and she's just on it. She's such a team player.
Even that scene where she gets splashed [by a car]. That wasn't in the original script. It was just supposed to be raining. But then I was like, "Oh, I really just want to splash and drench her." We get there on the day and it's just a street. We're filling it up [with water] and it's freezing outside. I'm like, "Okay, how do you feel about this? Are you okay?" She's like, "Fill it up with more water. I want a bigger splash." She was just so down. We wouldn't have been able to get all of the stuff that we did if she wasn't on her A-game.
This episode also differs from your first time directing because you actually had to direct yourself for a significant part of the episode. How did you handle that challenge?
That was actually quite challenging. [Laughs] I think I didn't realize how hard it was going to be. I didn't have an example of that; I hadn't worked with somebody who was acting and directing and who could give me the rundown on it. The first day was really difficult, too. By the second, I'd figured out a lot of stuff like, how do I get the monitor feed onto my iPad so I can see the monitors when I'm chained to the bed instead of having to get unhooked and run over to the monitors and watch playback? Because we just don't have time to do any of that stuff.
Because of COVID, my stand-in couldn't stand in for me with the actors because they're in a different zone. So, I didn't know [if] I could've [or] should've gotten an acting double that would be clearer and COVID-tested so that she could stand in with the actors so that I could at least frame up on somebody and be able to watch a rehearsal or something like that. We just don't have time to watch playback every time. So, there's a lot of stuff I learned, and I'm eager to do it again because I think I would do better. But while I was filming this first time, it was a bit frustrating and difficult because I want to focus on one thing at a time, and it's hard to wear those hats simultaneously, especially with our schedule.
This is the first episode where we spend a lot of time with the season's big bad, Bishop. What conversations did you have with Raffi Barsoumian about his performance?
We had a lot of fun. I really enjoyed working with Raffi. He had to walk a really fine line; Bishop is over the top. Raffi is such a likable person, so it's [about] getting all of that quirkiness but still having him seem a bit scary and unpredictable. That whole projection scene was really fun because we basically staged it like he was doing a stage-play, and we had the actual projector so we could get all of the projections on him. Originally, that was supposed to be CGI, and we were going to do it in post, but I really love the projection mapping and the way you're able to interact with the light when we do it practically. Raffi even came in on days off to rehearse in the space so we could line it up. It took a lot of testing to figure out the right brightness for the camera. It was fun. He really just brings so much life to that character.
DC's Legends of Tomorrow airs Sundays at 8 p.m. on The CW.

D@mnphins

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Ol girl said why didn't he just bring us back hour earlier so we would be out of our pjs. Zari said we don't ask those questions. Haha.

D@mnphins

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
The new girl when she was on Chicago PD was always in some tight ass pants showing nothing but ass. Legends is over here hiding the booty.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

The Arrowverse Repays Wynonna Earp for Legends Reference
Legends of Tomorrow makes a nod to SyFy's cult classic Wynonna Earp as a way to say thank you for the Legends nod early in the latter's last season.

BY DONNA CROMEANSPUBLISHED JUN 09, 2021
Legends of Tomorrow confirmed that it and Wynonna Earp are in a mutual admiration society by giving a shout-out to the Syfy supernatural cult classic. Legends of Tomorrow has long been rife with nods to other shows and films, but rarely does so with as affectionate a reference as it does with this particular moment.

Wynonna Earp ended its series run earlier this year after four years of demon-hunting adventures from Wyatt Earp's heir, Wynonna, and her friends and family. Hearing pop culture references being made by the show's unique cast of characters was not unusual - however, one made by Sheriff Nicole Haught (Katherine Barrell) in season 4 episode 2, "Friends in Low Places" caught the attention of Legends of Tomorrow fans. Injured, trapped, and about to be overrun by zombies, Nicole confessed to Rachel (Martina Ortiz-Luis) who had stayed by her side, that she pictured her death quite differently: "No way, not today," she declared defiantly, "When I dreamt of dying, it involved me in Waverly's arms and Waverly in Sara Lance cosplay.” Lance, of course, is an iconic Arrowverse character: the White Canary, the Paragon of Destiny, and the captain of the time-hopping Waverider crew.

Continue Scrolling To Keep ReadingClick the button below to start this article in quick view.

START NOW

RELATED: Arrowverse Missed A Great Crossover Opportunity For Legends & Supergirl

Legends returned the nod with one of their own in season 6 episode 5, "The Satanist's Apprentice." While being held captive by season 6 villain Bishop (Raffi Barsoumian) on his spaceship full of captured aliens, Sara (Caity Lotz) is introduced to the Wynonna Earp phenomenon. In a sly compliment to the show, Bishop seeks to placate his prisoner by showing her all fifteen seasons of Wynonna Earp, rewriting that show’s actual brief four-season history. Sara’s attendant, one of her girlfriend Ava (Jes Macallan)’s many fellow clones, “Nurse Ava” shared her enthusiasm for the show and exited the scene, just as the opening notes of the show's iconic theme song began coming from the tablet on the bed table.

Given their similarities, it's no surprise that the two scrappy, underdog shows are fans of one another. Both shows hit their creative stride in their second seasons, something Legends of Tomorrow perhaps acknowledges by having “Nurse Ava” refer to the second season as being the best and broke the mold by not being afraid of leaning into quirky, off-beat material. Legends of Tomorrow and Wynonna Earp were also unafraid to poke fun at themselves over the years. Each show delivered an abundance of pop culture references, with Wynonna Earp more likely to mention other TV shows, although Legends of Tomorrow paid homage to time and again to movie and TV classics. In addition to a long-running Mister Rogers' Neighborhood reference, Legends even had some of its characters stumble upon the set of Supernatural and meet "Baby."

Legends of Tomorrow and Wynonna Earp are also both noted for their positive LGBTQ+ representation. Legends of Tomorrow was the first Arrowverse show to feature a queer character as a lead, and Wynonna Earp introduced its queer endgame romance in its first season. Significantly, both shows debuted in 2016, shortly after a storm of heartbreak and backlash resulting from multiple TV shows killing off queer female characters in an abundance of “bury your gays” trope deaths - a trope Wynonna Earp soundly rebuked in its first season by putting a bulletproof vest on Haught.

Legends of Tomorrow and Wynonna Earp acknowledging each other is a tribute to the communities and storytelling each show has embraced. Both these shows committed to being fun adventures for the characters and the audiences; they never took themselves too seriously once they hit their groove. It’s fitting that these two shows, which so often referenced pop culture staples, should give that status to each other.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

Legends of Tomorrow star Shayan Sobhian previews 'Behrad 2.0' in Baby Yoda-inspired episode

Shayan Sobhian tees up Legends of Tomorrow's long-awaited exploration of Behrad's "origin story."
By Chancellor Agard
July 09, 2021 at 01:33 PM EDT

ADVERTISEMENT
SaveFBTweetMore

00:28
02:06

DC's Legends of Tomorrow

WATCH IT NOW ON
Pop culture is important to DC's Legends of Tomorrow. The daffy superhero dramedy shape-shifts on a weekly basis as each episode inhabits different genres (from pirates to a zombie apocalypse) and parodies and homages various movies and TV shows. That passion also seeps into the show's characters, several of whom wouldn't have found a place on the Waverider were it not for the media they consumed. For example, in season 2, we learned that George Lucas' Star Wars and Indiana Jones movies were integral to Nate (Nick Zano) and Ray Palmer (Brandon Routh) becoming superheroes. This Sunday, the CW series returns to that well with "This Is Gus," an episode that finally digs into Behrad's (Shayan Sobhian) backstory and explores how an under-appreciated stoner sitcom helped him become the chill, stoner hero he is today.
In the episode, the Legends travel to 2024 in pursuit of an alien pod. There, they wind up on the set of Behrad's favorite TV show, Bud-Stuy, a short-lived comedy about two Middle Eastern stoners that changed the youngest Tarazi's life for the better. Unfortunately, the timeline starts changing when a cuddly pink alien named Gus (who was inspired by Baby Yoda, according to co-showrunner Phil Klemmer) becomes the show's star, which in turn affects present-day Behrad's personality. Thus, the mission becomes about not only catching Gus but also saving Behrad's life.

Below, EW chats with Shayan Sobhian about this revelatory episode, playing a different version of Behrad (Behrad 2.0), and more.
Shayan Sobhian as Behrad Tarazi on 'Legends of Tomorrow.'

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: How did the writers pitch this episode to you?
SHAYAN SOBHIAN:
Well, I think it was pitched as like, "This is Behrad's origin story. This is where we're finally going to do a deep dive on him." Because of course he was introduced in the way that he was, where he was already a member of the team [at the end of season 4]. So there was no logical reason to do any kind of deep dive.

What was the most fascinating aspect of Behrad's origin story?
Well, that his life was literally changed by a sitcom. I mean, I think that's like when Legends gets wonderfully meta. It's like we're watching this TV show and watching this character be so enamored by his favorite sitcom and actually get to go see it, I think that was super strong. It's an easy thing for me to play because I have so many shows that I love and so many movies.
What was your formative TV show or movie, or your Bud-Study?
Literally School of Rock. Seeing Jack Black in that movie changed my life. It completely set me on a path; It turned me into the biggest Led Zeppelin fan I know. It ignited the flame of artistic expression. I don't think I'd be here today [without it]. That's the thing to really think about with the timeline stuff, it's like, "Okay, if this sitcom didn't happen [for Behrad], or I had never seen School of Rock, where would I be today? What would have happened?" I didn't grow up wanting to be an actor. By high school age I was coming around to it. But when I was a kid, I would say like, "I want to be a lawyer…"
That's also growing up Persian too. It's like, you can be a doctor, you can be a lawyer, you can open up a bank. My parents didn't really pressure me in that way, but I just didn't even think about it. There's no way I could be an actor. I think that's like getting into a conversation around representation. That's like why it's so important and why it matters so much because in Behrad's situation seeing a Middle Eastern actor play a character just like him gave him permission to be himself.
[Behrad] has that line where he [tells Bud-Stuy's star], "Seeing you on TV was the first time I saw me. You know like my parents, they saw me as just like I was going to be another business school grad and the world saw a weird Muslim kid. But I saw me when I saw you." The fact that when he's giving this heartfelt emotional speech he's also literally fighting for his life was such a glorious thing to play. That scene where we're looking at each other in the mirror we staged it that way [for a reason]. This is where all the creatives on Legends, all of their genius comes together, because Dion Farrell, our brilliant head of hair, was like, "I want Behrad 1.5 to look the actor that he was infatuated with. So we're in this mirror and you literally look like each other." That remains one of my favorite scenes to date that I've done.
Shayan Sobhian as Behrad on 'DC's Legends of Tomorrow.'
Behrad's personality starts changing after the alien joins for the show. How did it feel to play a different version of Behrad?
Super fun. The way that I did it, I was like, "Okay, so I've got Behrad at one point, I know him, got that. Now I have to somehow get to Behrad 2.0," and there's this delightful stop on the way that is none other than Behrad 1.5. So I wanted to get the extremes first. Like one of the first images that came to [mind was] just that slicked back hair, that perfect suit, like carrying about the business cards, all that kind of thing. Then the middle one, 1.5 is like, he's in and out of that. There's flashes of it. I think [episode writer Tyrone B. Carter] did such a brilliant job with this. It's like he has a moment of it, then he has a moment of self-awareness and he's like, "Who says stuff like that?"
I think that journey was actually — and that's the thing about good writing — so easy to play because it's like, "Oh yeah, this just makes sense." That's how I felt with this journey. But it was really fun too, to be different physically as well. Behrad 1.0 has a little slouch, he's got a little laid back swagger. But then 2.0, he's in a Ted Baker suit. Nick asked me one time before we were shooting scenes, "Do you have a neck injury?" I was like, "No, I'm over-correcting my posture, so that when we shoot, I'm going to stand up straighter because that's how I envisioned this bro." One of my favorite things to do as an actor is transform physically. So getting to do that within a role is a special treat.
Nick Zano as Nate Heywood/Steel on 'DC's Legends of Tomorrow.'

| CREDIT: BETTINA STRAUSS/THE CW
Co-showrunner Phil Klemmer previously told Comicbook.com that Gus was inspired by Baby Yoda. What was it like working with a puppet like Gus?
It felt like I was on the set of Star Wars. It was the closest I feel like I've ever come to real movie magic. I mean, it was amazing. There were four operators, four puppeteers. A couple actually manual and then a couple remote control. It really came to life during the take, which is such a gift, versus having to act to a green-whatever. So, yeah, it was really cool. I think we were all obsessed with him immediately. I mean, it's meta, like he became the star for us. Then in the sitcom he also becomes a star. So I think they nailed it.
The show has been hinting that there's something going on between Behrad and Astra [Olivia Swann] going as far back as last season. What can you say about that?
Oh man, I ship Bestra. I think there's great chemistry there and there's great possibility. We've had some fun with some very, I would say, just sub-textural moments. There hasn't been anything overt yet, but it's still up in the air.
DC's Legends of Tomorrow airs Sundays at 8 p.m. on the CW.

fonzerrillii

BGOL Elite Poster
Platinum Member
Random Fact... I actually knew about her girlfriend CLAY before I even heard about Sellers..

Clay is one of my Indie R&B artists that I posted in my R&B threads years ago. I'm glad ya'll brought her up because I completely missed her EP from last year.

Clay has Talent.... I've always loved her voice. With the Right team... i've always felt she could blow up. She went to Berklee College of Music. it's crazy but R&B singers that come through Berklee almost are always talented .

holy fucking Shit... I just discovered that this girl is fucking Mixed...

Like her Dad is black Black!!!

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Legends of Tomorrow previews Avalance's wedding, Matt Ryan's new season 7 role at Comic-Con

Constantine's time on Legends of Tomorrow may be coming to an end in season 6, but his portrayer Matt Ryan isn't going anywhere.
By Chancellor Agard
July 25, 2021 at 03:45 PM EDT

DC's Legends of Tomorrow

WATCH IT NOW ON
There are many wild and weird changes coming to DC's Legends of Tomorrow at both the end of season 6 and the beginning of season 7 — and the zany superhero show's cast and producers teased it all during their Comic-Con@Home panel Sunday afternoon. Those in attendance included: Nick Zano, Tala Ashe, Jes Macallan, Olivia Swann, Adam Tsekhman, Shayan Sobhian, Lisseth Chavez, and Matt Ryan, as well as executive producers/co-showrunners Phil Klemmer and Keto Shimizu.
First off, the gang unveiled a brand new trailer for the remaining episodes in season 6. The most exciting takeaway being that we will indeed see "co-captains for life" Sara (Caity Lotz) and Ava (Macallan) make it to the altar. The downside, though? In season 6 big bad Bishop (Raffi Barsoumian) crashes the wedding with the Waverider and the aliens he created. (Hey, if something has to crash your wedding, anything is better than super-Nazis, as another Arrowverse couple would tell you.) If you look closely at the trailer, which you can watch above, you can catch what appears to be another version of Bishop in attendance at Avalance's big day. Elsewhere in the promo, Ava searches for a wedding dress, the team bowls, and Constantine (Ryan) plummets further into darkness.

"We will have a beautiful, very intimate, very sweet, very heartfelt, emotional wedding for Ava and Sara at the end of our season that will have big Legends twist to it," Shimizu teased. "[The finale] is going to be bigger than the crossover in terms of the amount of visual effects and craziness."
While Sara and Ava will get their happy ending, you likely won't be able to say the same about Constantine, whose journey on the Waverideris coming to an end in season 6. "There's not a smooth path forward [for him]," said Klemmer, with Ryan adding, "All of it is not going to work out, because that's not in John's DNA, unfortunately."
That being said, Ryan isn't going anywhere and will remain a series regular in season 7 because he's going to be playing a completely new and original character: Dr. Gwyn Davies, an eccentric scientist from the early 20th century who may prove to be a pivotal ally for the chaotic time-travelers.
"John is a character throughout all of his comic book history and all the TV parts, someone who always walks alone. He dips into stories, and he dips out of stories," said Ryan during the panel. "The time for John's journey with Legends and with me has come to an end. I'm so really excited to be doing another role on this show and creating a new role with everybody, and having some fun with that in a way that I maybe haven't had with John. So that's really, really exciting to see what that's going to be and discovering how this new character fits in and causes some trouble for the Legends."

Writing off a character, but keeping the actor around is classic Legends at this point. The show previously did that with Maisie Richardson-Sellers, who joined the show as Amaya in season 2 before transitioning to a completely new character, the shape-shifting fate Charlie, for seasons 4 and 5.
In season 7, "The Legends are stranded in a particular time and place," said Klemmer. "They have been deprived of their ability to time travel, and so Matt's character becomes the possible salvation for our team."
The producer is particularly excited about seeing the team navigate this current situation without all of the technology they've come to depend on. "It's more of a real world odyssey," said Klemmer. "There's something so charming [about] watching superheroes have to deal with totally real world, frustrating, annoying [situations]...It's fun to strand you guys because it provides a different kind of challenge.
CREDIT: ROBERT FALCONER/THE CW
On top of that, though, cast member Amy Louise Pemberton, who has voiced Gideon and appeared on-screen several times, is taking on an even bigger role in the fall. In season 7, Pemberton will play the flesh-and-blood version of Gideon in the real world, which is an exciting development.
Finally, the panel also revealed that we're finally getting a Legends of Tomorrow soundtrack on Aug. 20. Titled DC's Legends of Tomorrow: The Mixtape, the 21-track album features songs from the show's many musical moments, including "Mr. Parker's Cul-De-Sac," "I Surrender," and more.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

@fonzerrillii

Legends of Tomorrow soundtrack on Aug. 20. Titled DC's Legends of Tomorrow: The Mixtape, the 21-track album features songs from the show's many musical moments, including "Mr. Parker's Cul-De-Sac," "I Surrender," and more​

ThaBurgerPimp

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
On top of that, though, cast member Amy Louise Pemberton, who has voiced Gideon and appeared on-screen several times, is taking on an even bigger role in the fall. In season 7, Pemberton will play the flesh-and-blood version of Gideon in the real world, which is an exciting development.
She might be the Waverider's version of Rommie from Andromeda..

dfce0fe3fd90e12ff78690e2ada37db0.jpg

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
@fonzerrillii

Prison Break star Wentworth Miller reveals autism diagnosis: 'This isn't something I'd change'

The actor said he was diagnosed last year with autism and it's "central to who I am."
By Greta Bjornson
July 27, 2021 at 01:16 PM EDT

Wentworth Miller is sharing his autism diagnosis with the world.
The Prison Break actor, 49, revealed on Instagram that he was diagnosed with autism as an adult last year, telling his followers, "This isn't something I'd change … immediately being autistic is central to who I am. To everything I've achieved/articulated."
Along with a photo of a blank white square, Miller wrote, "This fall marks 1 year since I received my informal autism diagnosis. Preceded by a self-diagnosis. Followed by a formal diagnosis. It was a long, flawed process in need of updating. IMO. I'm a middle-aged man. Not a 5-year-old."
Miller noted that "access to a diagnosis is a privilege many do not enjoy," admitting that his diagnosis was "a shock," but "not a surprise."

Autism Speaks defines autism spectrum disorder (ASD) as "a broad range of conditions characterized by challenges with social skills, repetitive behaviors, speech and nonverbal communication." According to the organization, signs of autism usually present around ages 2-3 years of age.
The actor stressed that while he was sharing his own experience, he didn't want to speak for the community as a whole. "I don't know enough about autism. (There's a lot to know.)," he wrote. "Right now my work looks like evolving my understanding. Re-examining 5 decades of lived experience thru a new lens.

"Meanwhile, I don't want to run the risk of suddenly being a loud, ill-informed voice in the room. The #autistic community (this I do know) has historically been talked over. Spoken for," he continued. "I don't wish to do additional harm. Only to raise my hand, say, 'I am here. Have been (w/o realizing it)."

Directing his followers to resources, Miller pointed to the "numerous individuals sharing thoughtful + inspiring content on Instagram [and] TikTok" whom he praised for "unpacking terminology," "adding nuance," and "fighting stigma."
Wentworth Miller in Prison Break
"These creators (some quite young) speak to the relevant issues more knowledgeably/fluently than I can," he wrote. "(They've been schooling me as well.)"
Miller ended his message by thanking those who "consciously or unconsciously gave me that extra bit of grace + space over the years" and allowed him to "move thru the world in a way that made sense to me whether or not it made sense to them."
RELATED: Wentworth Miller on How Having Suicidal Thoughts After Depression Led to Him Conquering Bullies
The actor's followers flooded his post with positive comments, with one writing, "Wentworth you continue to impress me with your honesty and vulnerability in your life's journey."
Another follower shared a similar experience, thanking Miller for his openness. "Thank you for this. Got my autism diagnosis at 30 years old, and it was a peculiar gift, really. Your voice, about this, is so comforting. So, so comforting. ❤️"

eagle force

Rising Star
Platinum Member
lgn408b_0102bra.jpg

Finally, the panel also revealed that we're finally getting a Legends of Tomorrow soundtrack on Aug. 20. Titled DC's Legends of Tomorrow: The Mixtape, the 21-track album features songs from the show's many musical moments, including "Mr. Parker's Cul-De-Sac," "I Surrender," and more.

they should have made her permanent after that crossover ep she was in