Diagnosed with Prostate Cancer

pdice

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Diagnosed with prostate cancer April 2024 and having surgery on July 1.
The surgery will be a RALP (Robotic-assisted laparoscopic radical prostatectomy)
Complete removal of the prostate.
As black men, this can be a touchy subject.
Fortunately, we can hide behind our screen names to discuss.
A few of my family members know about it, but for the most part, I have been dealing with it with the wife and kids.
My PSA was a 12.4 (below 4 is normal)
If anyone, has questions, I will try to answer them the best I can.
Keep a brother in y'all thoughts!!
Praying for you Brother. I am a 2 year prostrate cancer survivor at 72 years of age. As of 3 weeks ago I was told I was in remission.
I haven't been on the board in a while, but I will make it a point to check in if you have any questions.

crossovernegro

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
What Gleason score did they give your lesion?
Hope all goes with the surgery/treatment man!!

The surgery will be a RALP (Robotic-assisted laparoscopic radical prostatectomy)
A few of my family members know about it, but for the most part, I have been dealing with it with the wife and kids.

SmoothD

Smooth*****
BGOL Investor
What Gleason score did they give your lesion?
Hope all goes with the surgery/treatment man!!

My Gleason score was a 7 (3+4)

Gleason score definition:

A way of describing prostate cancer based on how abnormal the cancer cells in a biopsy sample look under a microscope and how quickly they are likely to grow and spread. Most prostate cancers contain cells that are different grades. The Gleason score is calculated by adding together the two grades of cancer cells that make up the largest areas of the biopsied tissue sample. The Gleason score usually ranges from 6 to 10. The lower the Gleason score, the more the cancer cells look like normal cells and are likely to grow and spread slowly. The Gleason score is used to help plan treatment and determine prognosis (outcome).

Gleason_1050x336.jpg

COINTELPRO

Transnational Member
Registered
Farrakhan, 65, was flown to Washington from his lakeside home in Illinois Tuesday night and rushed to Howard University Hospital bleeding and in great pain. After a series of tests, Farrakhan underwent emergency surgery to administer radiation for a recurrence of prostate cancer, marking the third time he has undergone treatments for the disease since he was diagnosed in 1991, according to hospital sources.

Got on an airplane from Chicago and flew 1000 miles with a medical emergency to get treated at an HBCU hospital. OJ goes to Las Vegas General Hospital and comes out in a body bag.

Last edited:

jawnswoop

It's A Philly Thing
BGOL Investor
I hope your surgery goes smooth and I wish you the best.

I believe you can beat cancer and you gotta go in there with that mindset as well.

Thanks for the great info about what we should do and to be aware of the signs about our prostate.

When you catch things earlier and go to the doctor for checkups which could save your life.

My father has a history in his family with prostate cancer, my grandfather on my dad's side of the family died from prostate cancer when he was 86.

My dad also have been taking prostate test and has high blood pressure but I'll make sure to let him know about getting his prostate removed instead of radiation when that time comes and he's 70!

I will make sure to get tested when I'm in 40's and beyond.

@SmoothD

Last edited:

woodchuck

A crowd pleasing man.
OG Investor
You got this, fam. You KNOW we're ALL pulling for you.

mozartte

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Praying for you Brother. I am a 2 year prostrate cancer survivor at 72 years of age. As of 3 weeks ago I was told I was in remission.
May I
I haven't been on the board in a while, but I will make it a point to check in if you have any questions.
What type of symptoms did you have and how were you led to a diagnosis.