Fake DJing BUSTED...tell the truth..sometimes ya'll pretend to turn knobs just to look busy

DJ

BGOL Legend
Certified Pussy Poster
Add in a lot of the videos seen on IG and Tiktok. Guy/girl in the center with a group of people around dancing to pre-recorded mixes while the "dj" does a whole bunch of knob turning. Shit is beyond annoying and infuriating

That dude he might actually be legit, looks like he has a Allen & Heath rotary. He spins deep house, or that jazzy mushroom house style of music. Lot of DJ's that spin this genre prefer knob mixers, especially old school house music DJs. Bending and altering the tones and taking out the highs can change the whole song.

cli-terminator

Retired ManWhore
BGOL Investor
That dude he might actually be legit, looks like he has a Allen & Heath rotary. He spins deep house, or that jazzy mushroom house style of music. Lot of DJ's that spin this genre prefer knob mixers, especially old school house music DJs. Bending and altering the tones and taking out the highs can change the whole song.
Totally forgot bout the rotary mixers. I'm used to standard mixers but what you said makes a lot of sense. Too bad most of the videos we see with knob turning got people using standard mixers where they're fiddling with the channel knobs but no effects are heard.

DJ

BGOL Legend
Certified Pussy Poster
Totally forgot bout the rotary mixers. I'm used to standard mixers but what you said makes a lot of sense. Too bad most of the videos we see with knob turning got people using standard mixers where they're fiddling with the channel knobs but no effects are heard.

I agree for the most part especially with this EDM genre that has become the norm. Shit has really diluted the craft, but its one of those things if you know, you know.

Here is some fire to restore the faith !!!

cli-terminator

Retired ManWhore
BGOL Investor
I hate how some of these DJs are faking it for social media props and taking advantage of people not knowing any better. If you look at this initially, you'd think he made an amazing transition between songs but if you actually look closely, he's just touching knobs for no reason and the volume on his channel 2 fader is turned all the way down :smh: :angry:

MistaPhantastic

Rising Star
Platinum Member
How to become an EDM DJ:

Step 1: Be female
Step 2: Be cute
Step 3: Find a revealing outfit that makes you look like a waitress or bar-tender at a strip club.
Step 4: Buy a macbook pro and DJ software
Step 5: Download pre-mixed mixes and remixes
Step 6: Buy bunny or cat ear headphones with LEDs in them
Step 7: Come up with a cute DJ name (DJ Blend Bunny, Blenderella, Mixstress Night, Tina Turntables, etc.)
Step 8: Start instagram and OnlyFans pages under DJ name.
Step 9: Show up at hot clubs and show insta to popular girls and OnlyFans to club promoters
Step 10:
iu
iu
iu

Last edited:

DJ

BGOL Legend
Certified Pussy Poster
I hate how some of these DJs are faking it for social media props and taking advantage of people not knowing any better. If you look at this initially, you'd think he made an amazing transition between songs but if you actually look closely, he's just touching knobs for no reason and the volume on his channel 2 fader is turned all the way down :smh: :angry:

The transition was real, look at the computer screen and initially chan 2 was turned up, he turned it off about the :20 second mark. The knob touching is a bit much though, nice set up he got.

MistaPhantastic

Rising Star
Platinum Member
The transition was real, look at the computer screen and initially chan 2 was turned up, he turned it off about the :20 second mark. The knob touching is a bit much though, nice set up he got.
You can look at the waveforms on the screen and tell if he's actually mixing or not. He was legit on the transition and the blend.

cli-terminator

Retired ManWhore
BGOL Investor
I was referring more to the transition to a preloaded track and all the extras he was doing when it went to the 2nd and 3rd songs was when the channel was turned down. I should've been more direct at the parts I was getting at

WattDogs

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

more knob turning/touching :smh: :smh: :smh: :giggle:

Nah, he's legit.

He's actually altering the sound for the next track to be in line with the track playing.

House DJs are notorious for that. Depending on where you "drop the needle" on a house track, the tempo can change drastically.

So, you slow the track on the upcoming song or change the pitch near the "end" of the song playing.

Easier to do it with the filter & trim than to do it by slowing the tempo.

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

'Worst performance in the history of Coachella': Tech issues doom star act​

One of the most well-known acts on the bill at this year’s Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival suffered through a glitchy 50-minute set on Saturday night, drawing surprised reactions from the crowd — and plans for a revamped performance on Weekend 2 of the Indio, Calif. festival.
Grimes, the experimental Canadian musician and visual artist who became a household name for her relationship with Elon Musk, experienced multiple problems during her 7:10 p.m. set at the Sahara stage at Coachella. She was forced to restart songs multiple times, and even had problems with the speed of some of the tracks she was attempting to play from atop a DJ booth.

Visibly and audibly frustrated, Grimes swore and growled through one of several aborted attempts to play “Music 4 Machines” before apologizing to the crowd and saying, “We are actually having a major technical difficulty.” Posts sprung up across social media in the immediate aftermath, calling the set a "fail" because of all of the audio issues.

:scared::scared::scared::scared:

cli-terminator

Retired ManWhore
BGOL Investor

She wanted to use the sync button to automatically match the tempo of the songs on each deck and for some reason it wasn't working. So she was forced to have to manually match song tempo. A real DJ knows how to do it by ear, can count bars to line up mixes properly and also read the BPMs to know what can be done to put the songs in alignment to mix songs without clashing.

You can tell when DJs use the sync button when a song suddenly speeds up or slows down throwing off how the song naturally sounds. You can manually speed up or slow down songs in the same manner but having manual control allows you to match tempo more subtly without the audience being aware of what's going on. I learned how to DJ on vinyl well before sync technology so I already had the fundamentals in place and see the sync button as a crutch that too many newer DJs rely on and abuse.

I also think her issue was a lack of knowing how her equipment works. Maybe she had pre-recorded mixes and was forced to actually have to mix in real-time but doesn't know how to.

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
She wanted to use the sync button to automatically match the tempo of the songs on each deck and for some reason it wasn't working. So she was forced to have to manually match song tempo. A real DJ knows how to do it by ear, can count bars to line up mixes properly and also read the BPMs to know what can be done to put the songs in alignment to mix songs without clashing.

You can tell when DJs use the sync button when a song suddenly speeds up or slows down throwing off how the song naturally sounds. You can manually speed up or slow down songs in the same manner but having manual control allows you to match tempo more subtly without the audience being aware of what's going on. I learned how to DJ on vinyl well before sync technology so I already had the fundamentals in place and see the sync button as a crutch that too many newer DJs rely on and abuse.

I also think her issue was a lack of knowing how her equipment works. Maybe she had pre-recorded mixes and was forced to actually have to mix in real-time but doesn't know how to.
so shes been faking the funk big time and got exposed!

DMXtreem

Rising Star
Platinum Member

Sounds like a very plausible explanation to me. Personally, I don't know how to use the sync function on my gear. However, that cuts both ways, because there are more than a few things I don't know how to use on my DDJSX-2. Yet still, no matter if I'm on it or vinyl I'm as strong as ever on matching some beats together!!!

cli-terminator

Retired ManWhore
BGOL Investor

This is another clip from Coachella where she actually complains that she has to mix by ear. A DJ is supposed to know how to mix by ear. That's the part of the job. Plus the music she's spinning doesn't have a wide range in tempo so it's not like she'd have to do much work if she knew how to properly use her ears

cli-terminator

Retired ManWhore
BGOL Investor
so shes been faking the funk big time and got exposed!
Pretty much. A lot of the DJs who spin EDM are notorious for using the sync button or pre-recorded mixes. They get away with it because most in the audience don't have their ears trained to hear the subtle nuances or know what the knobs on the decks actually do. In this case she got exposed cuz she doesn't know how to actually mix live.

ViCiouS

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor

and 2 guesses who skipped soundcheck...

cli-terminator

Retired ManWhore
BGOL Investor
Sounds like a very plausible explanation to me. Personally, I don't know how to use the sync function on my gear. However, that cuts both ways, because there are more than a few things I don't know how to use on my DDJSX-2. Yet still, no matter if I'm on it or vinyl I'm as strong as ever on matching some beats together!!!
I personally never use the sync button. I tried it when I got my 1st controller and quickly saw how it can create bad mixes because of how off it can make songs sound when pitched up or down rapidly. I like having control of the tempo so I can make my song transitions flow especially when I'm mixing in songs the audience wouldn't expect to hear

cli-terminator

Retired ManWhore
BGOL Investor
I just want to go on the record to say that if a DJ uses the sync button then that's fine cuz there are a lot of DJs who use the sync button and use it properly. The issue becomes when you depend on it for every mix and don't have the fundamentals down for how to properly beat match. I've seen all too many DJs end up with crappy mixes because they didn't know how to count bars or understand song tempos so their mixes ended up clashing noticeably bad.

r_louo13

Potential Star
BGOL Investor
yeah, the unnecessary knob twisting was all I needed to see. On the mixer the three knobs per channel are highs, mids, and lows.....when she twisted the knobs it never affected the sounds...I call BS on this one
She is mixing tho. I think the knobs touching is just some shit people learned to look active or keep themselves engaged . Idk, but it’s really annoying.

r_louo13

Potential Star
BGOL Investor
The first transition is real. The second was pre-recorded.

Dannyblueyes

Aka Illegal Danny
BGOL Investor

This is another clip from Coachella where she actually complains that she has to mix by ear. A DJ is supposed to know how to mix by ear. That's the part of the job. Plus the music she's spinning doesn't have a wide range in tempo so it's not like she'd have to do much work if she knew how to properly use her ears

The cdjs she's complains about are standard and most high-end clubs. Their LCD screens have beat grids so it's easy to manually line up the tracks. Even if your stone deaf.

First time I used them was that Monroe's in North Beach. It took me an afternoon, a YouTube tutorial, and a spiral notebook to figure it out (shout out to Phil Morse).

If I were playing a venue as large and lucrative as Coachella I would beg borrow or steal to get my own set and possibly hire a private tutor. There's no excuse for her being that unprepared.

When you fuck up (and all DJs do) you NEVER curse the gear. Instead, transition as quick as you can and keep it pushing.

Can you imagine a guitarist butchering a solo then stopping mid-song to yell "arrgh this guitar is too complicated. There's six strings and I only have five fingers."

For context, Shaquille O'Neal played a DJ set at the outside lands festival in Golden gate park. When is opening act didn't show up he grabbed a random DJ from the audience and had him fill in. It's not rocket science.