Fake DJing BUSTED...tell the truth..sometimes ya'll pretend to turn knobs just to look busy

knightmelodic

American fruit, Afrikan root.
BGOL Investor
Either mixing, scratching, cueing, or looking for the next record is what I was doing. Oh, wait.

WattDogs

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
It's funny that this thread came up.

So, last Thursday, I was at a club with my older brother, celebrating my birthday.

My brother is by the DJ, just hanging out, lady watching & sipping on something when he noticed....

The DJ wasn't DJing!!!

He got so furious, he was about to call the DJ out right then & there. He told me when I came back over to him & I looked for a second & showed him I could easily tell (he didn't blend or do a breakdown on the turntables at all, just fist pumping).

I had to calm this guy down from telling off the DJ. Funny times.

cli-terminator

Retired ManWhore
BGOL Investor

she s cute but I sense knob turning....ya''ll make the call!!!!:grin:

I watched less than 2 minutes and it became beyond obvious that she was playing on a pre-loaded mix. There was a lot of knob touching for no damn reason. All those knobs she was touching are to adjust the highs, lows, mids, gain, etc... yet there was absolutely no change in the volume levels of the track playing. She even touched areas on the CDJs that have absolutely no reason to be touched unless she was just looking to load another track :smh:

cli-terminator

Retired ManWhore
BGOL Investor
This year I'm shifting course away from clubs. Too much politics and bullshit for lower pay and dealing with promoters or club owners trying to peddle the ole "oh we didn't make enough at the door" nonsense to cheat you outta your money. I just got approved for an LLC and am starting my own business focusing on private and corporate events as well as weddings.

DJ

BGOL Legend
Certified Pussy Poster
This year I'm shifting course away from clubs. Too much politics and bullshit for lower pay and dealing with promoters or club owners trying to peddle the ole "oh we didn't make enough at the door" nonsense to cheat you outta your money. I just got approved for an LLC and am starting my own business focusing on private and corporate events as well as weddings.

I remember when you were first getting started. I think back then it was right around the time I had really shifted my whole business from clubs and bars to only corporate events, private parties, weddings and mitzvahs.

I have 3 djs and 2 mc that work for me now. I take a 35% cut for anything I book and 25% cut for anything they book under my llc. If I am not requested specially from the customer I send my guys out. Great passive income, with low overhead and cheap insurance. My work schedule is hectic and I never know where I am going to be. When I first decided to go this route my problem was not having enough people to cover gigs on a weekend. I solved that problem by building a network of cats that also owned entertainment companies and started sending gigs they're way for a fee. Even know because I only have 2 MCs I try not to book multiple gigs like weddings or mitzvahs on the same date were interaction is needed, but it dies happen and I have to outsource.

Good luck with your business family and I hope all goes well. You need any hints, tips or pointers feel free to dm me with any questions and I will help you out the best I can.

cli-terminator

Retired ManWhore
BGOL Investor
I remember when you were first getting started. I think back then it was right around the time I had really shifted my whole business from clubs and bars to only corporate events, private parties, weddings and mitzvahs.

I have 3 djs and 2 mc that work for me now. I take a 35% cut for anything I book and 25% cut for anything they book under my llc. If I am not requested specially from the customer I send my guys out. Great passive income, with low overhead and cheap insurance. My work schedule is hectic and I never know where I am going to be. When I first decided to go this route my problem was not having enough people to cover gigs on a weekend. I solved that problem by building a network of cats that also owned entertainment companies and started sending gigs they're way for a fee. Even know because I only have 2 MCs I try not to book multiple gigs like weddings or mitzvahs on the same date were interaction is needed, but it dies happen and I have to outsource.

Good luck with your business family and I hope all goes well. You need any hints, tips or pointers feel free to dm me with any questions and I will help you out the best I can.
Much appreciated. Right now I'm waiting for my mans to get back to me on a hookup to buy a 2nd LD System Maui 28 G3 column array speaker. I sold my box speakers to move in this direction for easier transit as well as quicker setups and teardowns.

After that, I'm gonna set up a Honeybook account to manage bookings, then get dj insurance and put myself on websites like wedding wire to hopefully get some bookings.

Heavenlywings77

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I agree..but it's not the DJ..it's the music on the "playlist".

Scratching is still alive in that community...the masses don't give a fuck bro!

80's and 90's DJs had a place...now they are really not needed. All you need is an image and some "turntables" and you are a DJ bro.

Music can't change itself depending on the varying vibe of any given situation.

Dannyblueyes

Aka Illegal Danny
BGOL Investor
Much appreciated. Right now I'm waiting for my mans to get back to me on a hookup to buy a 2nd LD System Maui 28 G3 column array speaker. I sold my box speakers to move in this direction for easier transit as well as quicker setups and teardowns.

After that, I'm gonna set up a Honeybook account to manage bookings, then get dj insurance and put myself on websites like wedding wire to hopefully get some bookings.

Be careful with wedding wire.

In November I got a professional membership with Wedding Pro, a service that covers memberships to WeddingWire and The Knot. The sales people told me that the average DJ at this level gets 81 leads per year.

I got 7 in the last 3 months. Based on what I paid that's almost $150 per lead.

Another thing to be careful of, WeddingWire's contract has a clause that says once you leave the site you're no longer allowed to reuse the customer reviews anywhere else.

That said, I know companies that swear by their service. However, I've been in the game 14 years, DJ'd full-time for 7, have dozens of five-star reviews, played some of the best venues in the Bay Area, and so far they haven't done anything for me.

ansatsusha_gouki

Land of the Heartless
Platinum Member
Paris Hilton Full DJ Set
Tomorrowland 2023

195545_Actual.jpg

Dannyblueyes

Aka Illegal Danny
BGOL Investor
Years ago dude got married and paid a 'DJ' to do his wedding reception. I swear the DJ' strolled in, connected his iPod classic and played bullshit songs off of playlists. I told ol boy hey, I would have did it for half the money and a case of beer but noooooo you wanted a real 'DJ' huh mf:rolleyes:

I don't understand that.

It's one thing to pre-record the cocktail hour or the dinner. I do that all the time. But why would anyone do that at the reception? Not only does that short change the best day of a couples' life it's boring as hell.

Often these DJs are blessed to have an aunt or cousin in the crowd who drags all the wallflowers to the dance floor. If everything's pre-recorded they can't play her requests.

The best man gave a speech and mentioned a song that played during one of the groom's fondest memories. That's a golden opportunity to create a lifelong moment. Not to mention referral business from every unmarried couple in the crowd. Why would any DJ want to miss out on that by sticking to a playlist the bride and groom didn't even make?

That said, a DJ should always take the time to learn the bride and groom's favorite songs beforehand. Those songs should be rehearsed religiously until they become the DJ's favorite songs as well. That way they always know what to play next, whether it's on the list or not.

cli-terminator

Retired ManWhore
BGOL Investor
Be careful with wedding wire.

In November I got a professional membership with Wedding Pro, a service that covers memberships to WeddingWire and The Knot. The sales people told me that the average DJ at this level gets 81 leads per year.

I got 7 in the last 3 months. Based on what I paid that's almost $150 per lead.

Another thing to be careful of, WeddingWire's contract has a clause that says once you leave the site you're no longer allowed to reuse the customer reviews anywhere else.

That said, I know companies that swear by their service. However, I've been in the game 14 years, DJ'd full-time for 7, have dozens of five-star reviews, played some of the best venues in the Bay Area, and so far they haven't done anything for me.
Where would you recommend for being able to get potential bookings and receive customer reviews? I've heard Thumbtack charges ridiculous rates

Dannyblueyes

Aka Illegal Danny
BGOL Investor
Where would you recommend for being able to get potential bookings and receive customer reviews? I've heard Thumbtack charges ridiculous rates

I've been using The Bash (FKA Gigmasters) since 2017. I have their 500 mile plan which costs $450 a year plus a 5% commission.

I used to get most of my bookings this way. Now it's repeat business and referral chains from past Bash customers.

Thumbtack was awful. I suspect they sent me phony leads. Often when I text their customers for a follow-up they wouldn't have a working phone. The last straw was on New Year's Eve at 4:00 a.m. when I got a lead for a birthday party in September.

I called out the company on Facebook and they demanded receipts. When I showed them they sent me an email back saying "according to our investigation this customer did not violate Thumbtack's rules."

I told them "I don't care if they violated your rules. I want to know if the customer exists."

I'm still waiting to hear back.

cli-terminator

Retired ManWhore
BGOL Investor
I've been using The Bash (FKA Gigmasters) since 2017. I have their 500 mile plan which costs $450 a year plus a 5% commission.

I used to get most of my bookings this way. Now it's repeat business and referral chains from past Bash customers.

Thumbtack was awful. I suspect they sent me phony leads. Often when I text their customers for a follow-up they wouldn't have a working phone. The last straw was on New Year's Eve at 4:00 a.m. when I got a lead for a birthday party in September.

I called out the company on Facebook and they demanded receipts. When I showed them they sent me an email back saying "according to our investigation this customer did not violate Thumbtack's rules."

I told them "I don't care if they violated your rules. I want to know if the customer exists."

I'm still waiting to hear back.
Thanks for the feedback. I'll definitely make sure to do my due dilligence