HOUSE OF THE DRAGON: orgies, gore and family feuds in ‘Game of Thrones’ prequel

TENT

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
What? It cannot have a proper subplot? Do you not see that this is just bad story telling?
You just accepting lame shit and thinking it is dope????
Come on. Don't let them insult your intelligence as a viewer.
Chekov's Gun for Christ's Sake!

This show isn't about any of that.

It's about the House of the Dragon.

So it elaborated on the important stuff. The conflict between the royal family and the tension of who will next sit on the throne. No need to waste time on King Crab.

D'Evils

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
This show isn't about any of that.

It's about the House of the Dragon.

So it elaborated on the important stuff. The conflict between the royal family and the tension of who will next sit on the throne. No need to waste time on King Crab.

Yeap... George R. Martin also said he wanted to make a Game of Thrones Universe similar to Star Wars and Marvel...

So a lot of storylines and characters could be easter eggs for possible future shows...

I want to see a show centered around the Ice King....

Big Tex

Earth is round..gravity is real
BGOL Investor
What? It cannot have a proper subplot? Do you not see that this is just bad story telling?
You just accepting lame shit and thinking it is dope????
Come on. Don't let them insult your intelligence as a viewer.
Chekov's Gun for Christ's Sake!

I'm saying I don't give a shit about King Crab. There's a finite number of minutes to tell this story in this season. So every minute of king crab is a minute less of the targaryen story. A minute less of the battles to come.

The subplot was already told.

Craghas Drahar – or the Crabfeeder – was first mentioned in the opening episode of House of the Dragon. Corlys Velaryon (Steve Toussaint) tried to raise the issue of his domination of the Stepstone islands during the first small council meeting.

The Stepstone islands are a key trade route for Westeros, east of Dorne and west of Essos. They’re monitored by the Triarchy, which is an alliance of three of the Free Cities: Myr, Lys, and Tyrosh. Drahar (Daniel Scott-Smith) is an important part of this group as the Prince Admiral of Myr.

However, problems begin to arise when Drahar takes over the Stepstones to allow the Triarchy easier access to pass goods through without the threat of pirates. This makes for an uneasy alliance with Westeros, as while he is overstepping his territory, it means there are fewer threats blocking the way for trade routes.

But, as Corlys points out in episode 1, Drahar has begun to enforce enormously high tolls for those using the route, heavily impacting House Velaryon. The Sea Snake wants to challenge Drahar’s clasp for power, but his complaints are largely ignored by King Viserys (Paddy Considine) who does not want to go to war.

By episode 2, which is set six months later, things are getting worse in the Stepstones. So Corlys seeks a new ally in the wayward Prince Daemon (Matt Smith), which is influenced partly by Viserys’ refusal to marry his daughter.

Episode 3 picks things up a few years later, with Daemon and Corlys battling the Crabfeeder's forces. Back in King's Landing, news has reached Viserys that Daemon is on the brink of defeat, which forces the king to send some reinforcements for his younger brother.

Upon hearing the news, Daemon flies off into a rage and instead concocts his own plan: with the Valeryon family at his side, he pretends to surrender and uses Laenor's dragon Seasmoke to scorch the battlefield.

In the ensuing battle, Daemon and Corlys get the upper hand and Daemon kills Crabfeeder off-screen. He drags the prince's bisected body across the beach, signalling victory and an end to the War of the Stepstones.

In the books, Crabfeeder's arc is broadly the same: he commands the Triarchy's armies, rules the Stepstones (though in the books it's for around a decade), and is eventually defeated by Daemon. The only main differences compared to House of the Dragon is the Triarchy were on a downward trend compared to Daemon, with their armies experiencing several heavy defeats in the interim. Also, Crabfeeder's death is slightly different in the novels, with Daemon actually beheading the prince instead of him being cut in two.

I mean how much more do you want to know about him? You want a King Crab stand alone series? His only importance to this story is well detailed. Bad storytelling is wandering off on tangents taking attention away from your main narrative. Every action in a story should further the main narrative - especially in TV and Film because of the limited time.

Anything that doesn't forward the main narrative should be cut.

That's proper storytelling.

slowmotion

Rising Star
Registered
Episode 3 was underwhelming.
King Crab didn't speak at all. They were just worried about him standing there looking "cool".
He had greyscale. He wore a Sons of the Harpy mask. Nothing was elaborated on.

I was hopping for a bigger payoff with his character. The time jump didn't help, so he seemed a bit underdeveloped. Not looking for them to devote a full episode to his backstory. But damn..could we of at least seen him exchange a word or two with Daemon before a brief sword fight. All we got was Daemon running into the cave behind him and then exiting with his corpse a few moments later. I was like what?? Thats all we get? Still a good episode.

TENT

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Yes. I want a King Crab stand alone series.

No I want 60 seconds of damn dialogue.

Not 5 minutes of a dude running through a field of arrows and not getting killed instantly!

Fucking insulting.

Why even have archers???????

I'm saying I don't give a shit about King Crab. There's a finite number of minutes to tell this story in this season. So every minute of king crab is a minute less of the targaryen story. A minute less of the battles to come.

The subplot was already told.

I mean how much more do you want to know about him? You want a King Crab stand alone series? His only importance to this story is well detailed. Bad storytelling is wandering off on tangents taking attention away from your main narrative. Every action in a story should further the main narrative - especially in TV and Film because of the limited time.

Anything that doesn't forward the main narrative should be cut.

That's proper storytelling.

TENT

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
This!
You see that this is very poor story telling.

I was hopping for a bigger payoff with his character. The time jump didn't help, so he seemed a bit underdeveloped. Not looking for them to devote a full episode to his backstory. But damn..could we of at least seen him exchange a word or two with Daemon before a brief sword fight. All we got was Daemon running into the cave behind him and then exiting with his corpse a few moments later. I was like what?? Thats all we get? Still a good episode.

therealjondoe

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Episode 3 was underwhelming.
King Crab didn't speak at all. They were just worried about him standing there looking "cool".
He had greyscale. He wore a Sons of the Harpy mask. Nothing was elaborated on.
Starting to feel like this show is just "hey remember the dragons you guys loved in game of thrones? Well we made a show with a bunch of dragons"

Big Tex

BGOL Investor

So what part of the targaryen story do you want taken out for your King Crab scenes?

TENT

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Yup. It is like let's give you 300 dragons! It is the SONY/WB way of telling stories.

Sony will give you 4 villains in a super hero movie at once!

There is no plot or substance or moviation. Just throw them on the screen and confuse people.

Daemon running into the cave and them not showing the confrontation between him and the Crabfeeder was fucking LAME.

A fucking cop out. I am not saying they needed to show him being cut in half.

I am saying we saw nothing of the confrontation. You know why? Cause they had nothing.

They could have had the whole battle off screen and saved the money on the CGI dragons!

Starting to feel like this show is just "hey remember the dragons you guys loved in game of thrones? Well we made a show with a bunch of dragons"

TENT

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
What the fuck? Why does ANYTHING have to be taken out?
What the fuck kinda question is that? Make another 3 minutes of dialogue.
Shit nigga.

But since you asked, I didn't need to see the CGI boar. I didn't need the white stag. Cut that shit all the way out.
I didn't need the dragged out scene of Viserys killing the brown stag. Have THAT SHIT be done off screen.

So what part of the targaryen story do you want taken out for your King Crab scenes?

Big Tex

BGOL Investor
What the fuck? Why does ANYTHING have to be taken out?
What the fuck kinda question is that? Make another 3 minutes of dialogue.
Shit nigga.

But since you asked, I didn't need to see the CGI boar. I didn't need the white stag. Cut that shit all the way out.
I didn't need the dragged out scene of Viserys killing the brown stag. Have THAT SHIT be done off screen.

TV shows have set lengths. So you want to remove the potential anointing of Aegon the second by the Gods and the flashpoint of the wars to come to learn more about a character that George RR Martin though so little of that...

Fire and Blood, George R.R. Martin's compendium of Targaryen history that inspired HBO's House of the Dragon, makes little mention of Craghas Drahar, the Myrish prince-admiral known by his foes as the Crabfeeder. What we know about this figure, as chronicled in the book's passage titled "Heirs of the Dragon: A Question of Succession," doesn't even fill an entire page.

So someone needs to go tell George RR Martin he doesn't know shit about telling a story lmao.

Big Tex

BGOL Investor
Niggas in here judging a story about the Targaryans, Valarians, and the iron throne, the upcoming war against the night king and the undead around a random nigga called crabfeeder that didn't even get one full page in the book lmao

You can't make this shit up.

slowmotion

Rising Star
Registered
Niggas in here judging a story about the Targaryans, Valarians, and the iron throne, the upcoming war against the night king and the undead around a random nigga called crabfeeder that didn't even get one full page in the book lmao

You can't make this shit up.

I thought the episode was good. Just don't like how they handled the crabfeeder character. They built him up in previous episodes and alluded to his character being a major obstacle for Corlys. Which we are to assume he was, since they had been fighting for 3 years and apparently losing based on dialogue in the episode. So yes..I think it's reasonable for fans to want to know more about the character. Especially if the show builds him up as a formidable antagonist. Again..no one is asking for a full episode on his backstory. A simple back and forth of dialogue between him and Daemon in the cave would've been nice.

There wouldn't have been a need to cut anything. But since you ask..I didn't need to see that drawn out scene with Rhaenyra at the campfire, or the scene in the carriage on the way up there. You can add a lot of the scenes with dialogue about naming his heir. We have already established the King is conflicted on stripping Rhaenyra as heir and giving it to his first born. Some of it is redundant and can be cut short. Again..I don't think they needed to cut any of it out. But if thats what it would take to help flesh out one of your antagonist...so be it. His death was just anticlimactic. Adding a bit more to his character would've made the payoff for Daemon killing him bigger. Instead we got a mute who just stood and mostly nodded his head.

TENT

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
There is no set length for an individual episode or the amount of episodes. This is HBO.
What are you talking about?????????????????????????????????????????

Martin is executive producer. He isn't a writer or showrunner or director.

Again. Wtf are you talking about?

TV shows have set lengths. So you want to remove the potential anointing of Aegon the second by the Gods and the flashpoint of the wars to come to learn more about a character that George RR Martin though so little of that...

So someone needs to go tell George RR Martin he doesn't know shit about telling a story lmao.

Last edited:

Big Tex

BGOL Investor
There is not set length for an episode or the amount of episodes. This is HBO.

Martin is executive producer. He isn't a writer or show runner or director.

Again. Wtf are you talking about?

919slSnW1IL.jpg

Ok, now that we have established you don't even know who wrote the books, we're done here. Good day.

Big Tex

BGOL Investor
I thought the episode was good. Just don't like how they handled the crabfeeder character. They built him up in previous episodes and alluded to his character being a major obstacle for Corlys. Which we are to assume he was, since they had been fighting for 3 years and apparently losing based on dialogue in the episode. So yes..I think it's reasonable for fans to want to know more about the character. Especially if the show builds him up as a formidable antagonist. Again..no one is asking for a full episode on his backstory. A simple back and forth of dialogue between him and Daemon in the cave would've been nice.

There wouldn't have been a need to cut anything. But since you ask..I didn't need to see that drawn out scene with Rhaenyra at the campfire, or the scene in the carriage on the way up there. You can add a lot of the scenes with dialogue about naming his heir. We have already established the King is conflicted on stripping Rhaenyra as heir and giving it to his first born. Some of it is redundant and can be cut short. Again..I don't think they needed to cut any of it out. But if thats what it would take to help flesh out one of your antagonist...so be it. His death was just anticlimactic. Adding a bit more to his character would've made the payoff for Daemon killing him bigger. Instead we got a mute who just stood and mostly nodded his head.

The ONLY, and I do mean only value that character had was to further the rift between the houses. That's it. He is 100% irrelevant to the story otherwise. You'll never hear about him again.

He's not really an antagonist. He's a minor, background character. Daemon killing him wasn't the point. His death is largely irrelevant to the main narrative of the show. The point was Deamon not wanting his brother's help. The payoff will be how this affects his alliance with Corlys and his rift with his brother.

TENT

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
You thought you did something?

This thread is about the TV SHOW.
So unless otherwise stated, we are talking about the SHOW.
Wow. But forget the above. Even from the my pretext you should conclude that I am talking about the tv show.
I said showrunner and director. Can you direct a BOOK nigga?

919slSnW1IL.jpg

Ok, now that we have established you don't even know who wrote the books, we're done here. Good day.

RoomService

Dinner is now being served.
BGOL Investor
There is not set length for an episode or the amount of episodes. This is HBO.
No, it’s Discover + and they’re having financial problems. But I understand your point.

TENT

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
It is HBO MAX.
They don't have money for DC.
HBO has money for GOT.
They fucking sell GOT wine and swords.
They got money.

You may not know this but companies handle their entities with different budgets.

No, it’s Discover + and they’re having financial problems. But I understand your point.

RoomService

Dinner is now being served.
BGOL Investor
It is HBO MAX.
They don't have money for DC.
HBO has money for GOT.
They fucking sell GOT wine and swords.
They got money.

You may not know this but companies handle their entities with different budgets.
:thumbsup:
HBO Max cuts 14% of staff, or 70 employees, mainly in casting, acquisitions and reality TV divisions
The job cuts, which amount to 14% of staff at the streamer, are part of a larger effort at Warner Bros. Discovery to eliminate overlap as HBO Max and Discovery+ come together as one streaming service. Discovery closed on its $43 billion acquisition of WarnerMedia in April. Chief Executive Officer David Zaslav has promised $3 billion in synergies from the merger.

Many of the employees who lost their jobs were members of teams that had been led by former HBO Max chief content officer Kevin Reilly that no longer fit within the new structure of Warner Bros. Discovery, two of the people said. Reilly left the company in 2020.

slowmotion

Rising Star
Registered
The ONLY, and I do mean only value that character had was to further the rift between the houses. That's it. He is 100% irrelevant to the story otherwise. You'll never hear about him again.

He's not really an antagonist. He's a minor, background character. Daemon killing him wasn't the point. His death is largely irrelevant to the main narrative of the show. The point was Deamon not wanting his brother's help. The payoff will be how this affects his alliance with Corlys and his rift with his brother.

He was an antagonist, a small one but still someone they could've did more with. They spent time talking about him through the first few episodes. Even ending episode 2 with Daemon and Corlys plotting to go to war with him. Doesn't matter if he will not be mentioned again. They didn't do a good job in my opinion of fleshing out the character. They could've just mentioned him in conversation and avoided giving him screen time if thats how they intended for him to die. Just throw in his death as part of the time jump and mention how Daemon killed him in a damn in a flashback or something. Point being..they built him up only to have a half hearted death scene to give Daemon his win. Thats fine, but they could've skipped the other shit if thats how they were gonna present it.

therealjondoe

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
He was an antagonist, a small one but still someone they could've did more with. They spent time talking about him through the first few episodes. Even ending episode 2 with Daemon and Corlys plotting to go to war with him. Doesn't matter if he will not be mentioned again. They didn't do a good job in my opinion of fleshing out the character. They could've just mentioned him in conversation and avoided giving him screen time if thats how they intended for him to die. Just throw in his death as part of the time jump and mention how Daemon killed him in a damn in a flashback or something. Point being..they built him up only to have a half hearted death scene to give Daemon his win. Thats fine, but they could've skipped the other shit if thats how they were gonna present it.
But then they couldn't show the fire breathing dragons lol

TENT

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Last edited: