JOKER (2019) Discussion Thread Starring Joaquin Phoenix (Update 9/12/19) Leaked Footage.. GOOD GAWD

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Yoooooooooo this shit looks amazing.

It looks mind blowing a COMPLETE mature adult modern film retelling of the Joker.

This could be genre defining.

Like Burton's Batman, Blade, Iron Man, Winter Solider, Preacher, Legion, Black Panther, The tick and the boys on amazon...

This is just a damn virtuoso looking performance from Phoenix.

fonzerrillii

BGOL Elite Poster
Platinum Member
It looks mind blowing a COMPLETE mature adult modern film retelling of the Joker.

This could be genre defining.

Like Burton's Batman, Blade, Iron Man, Winter Solider, Preacher, Legion, Black Panther, The tick and the boys on amazon...

This is just a damn virtuoso looking performance from Phoenix.

Critics are calling this movie Oscar worthy...

This might finally be the first Comic-book movie that wins Best Picture.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_awards_and_nominations_received_by_Joaquin_Phoenix

The following is a list of awards and nominations received by American actor Joaquin Phoenix. For his work as an artist, he has been nominated for three Academy Awards, three British Academy Film Awards, four Screen Actors Guild Awards, five Golden Globe Awards, three Critics' Choice Movie Awards. He was won a Golden Globe Award, Grammy Award, Independent Spirit Award, and awards from the Cannes Film Festival, Venice Film Festival, Los Angeles Film Critics Association, and National Board of Review. He and his brother River Phoenix were the first and only brothers to be nominated for Academy Awards for performance.[1]

ClutteredImpossibleKrill-size_restricted.gif

giphy.gif

ugk

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
They just need to recast Joker with Joaquin if there is going to be a follow-up to The Batman..

And get the right Batman, and maybe it could breathe some life into DC.

btw just saw that the budget for the film was 55 million? shitttttttttttttttttttttttttt... that's gonna be a money maker for DC if these reviews hold up

gtg305h

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I'll believe it when I see it. Critics loved The Last Jedi and that shit caused a huge rift with fans. And if this movie is worthy of the score, it makes DC's movie plans even more fragmented and confusing as is.

Good point, everybody is jumping on the bandwagon, there's no balanced review out there so far, only fanboy reactions by people that were ready to like the movie regardless

fonzerrillii

BGOL Elite Poster
Platinum Member
I'll believe it when I see it. Critics loved The Last Jedi and that shit caused a huge rift with fans. And if this movie is worthy of the score, it makes DC's movie plans even more fragmented and confusing as is.

I don’t know fam.. this might be legit. I’ve been looking at tweets from non critics. Venice looks like they loved this shit.

"THE MAN"

Resident Cool Nerd
BGOL Investor
I don’t know fam.. this might be legit. I’ve been looking at tweets from non critics. Venice looks like they loved this shit.
Oh no doubt. I think DC makes better movies (mostly) when there is no pressure. Just a straight film. So this has that going for it. But their universe is just so damn messy that I'm unsure of what they want in the future if this is a blockbuster.

Universe 1 - Batman vs Superman, Man of Steel, Wonder Woman , Justice League, Aquaman, Suicide Squad (Flash?, Cyborg?)
Universe 2- Wonder Woman 84 (since we have no idea if they will acknowledge the other movies)
Universe 3- Birds of Prey (not following storylines completely from Suicide Squad as if it was a bad memory?)
Universe 4- Joker
Universe 5 - Robert Pattinson's Batman

But for now I will enjoy this. I just hate the whores at IGN.

superfusion

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I'll wait until it hits BGOL cinemas. A lot of Critics like DC movies. If the comic heads like the movie and it stays faithful to the source material, I may watch it. After last Jedi which critics said was great, I don't trust them. To me this may be a crime/drama from the 80's and they just decided at the last minute to use the joker as the main character.

ThaBurgerPimp

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
Oh no doubt. I think DC makes better movies (mostly) when there is no pressure. Just a straight film. So this has that going for it. But their universe is just so damn messy that I'm unsure of what they want in the future if this is a blockbuster.

Universe 1 - Batman vs Superman, Man of Steel, Wonder Woman , Justice League, Aquaman, Suicide Squad (Flash?, Cyborg?)
Universe 2- Wonder Woman 84 (since we have no idea if they will acknowledge the other movies)
Universe 3- Birds of Prey (not following storylines completely from Suicide Squad as if it was a bad memory?)
Universe 4- Joker
Universe 5 - Robert Pattinson's Batman

But for now I will enjoy this. I just hate the whores at IGN.

Re: Wonder Woman 84..how can they acknowledge the other movies if this one is set in the 80s..?

and now theyre saying The Batman will be the first entry in the soft-rebooted DCEU..guess they're waiting to see how CW's Crisis On Infinite Earths does in the ratings

"THE MAN"

Resident Cool Nerd
BGOL Investor
Re: Wonder Woman 84..how can they acknowledge the other movies if this one is set in the 80s..?

and now theyre saying The Batman will be the first entry in the soft-rebooted DCEU..guess they're waiting to see how CW's Crisis On Infinite Earths does in the ratings
Similar to the pic that Bruce found of her. Something from the past that connects.

"THE MAN"

Resident Cool Nerd
BGOL Investor
To me this may be a crime/drama from the 80's and they just decided at the last minute to use the joker as the main character.
From Kotaku
"If Joker wasn’t called “Joker,” you’d never know it was a DC movie. Though there are characters with the last name “Wayne” and it takes place in a city called “Gotham,” there’s little else that distinguishes Todd Phillips’ latest film as a comic book movie. It’s a solid, well-made film that, ultimately, has a bit of an identity crisis.

Joker isn’t quite sure what it wants to be. What it definitely is is a movie about a disturbed man named Arthur Fleck, played by Joaquin Phoenix. Arthur is a clown-for-hire who lives with his mother Penny (American Horror Story’sFrances Conroy) in a powder keg of a city that’s just waiting to explode. And, without really even realizing the impact his actions are having on the outside world,Arthur ends up lighting the fuse.

Joker is a comic book origin story with very little comic book in it. The whole thing very purposefully feels like a love letter to cinema of the late ‘70s, early ‘80s rather than other dark DC superhero movies like Tim Burton’s Batman or Christopher Nolan’s The Dark Knight. Using that gritty aesthetic, Phillips is much more interested in dissecting what makes a comic book character real than making a real comic book character and, in that aim, he’s successful. Arthur is a fascinating and endlessly compelling person. He’s also terrifying and, for most of the film, sympathetic."

Would explain why it is so good then lol.