Movie News: Marvel Black Widow drops in Theaters & Disney + (Fonzi Approved) UPDATE: Scarlett Johansson & Disney PEACE Settlement!

vertigo

Rising Star
Platinum Member
and Loki is shit too.

THANK YOU

Somebody had to say it.
I feel like the reason it's getting so much props is because 1) it's Tom Hiddleston, a fan favorite actor; and 2) because it's a white show wiping the bitter taste of black truth (from Falcon and Winter Soldier) out of people's mouths.

I respect what the show is doing to set up phase 5 and beyond- I hypothesize that Kang is maintaining the "sacred timeline" because that is the one where events occur to his advantage/desire- and it's dope that what Sylvie did that suddenly created all these divergent timelines that we will surely see in the next few marvel movies; but beyond that, the show just isn't that great or interesting to me.... The alligator was cool tho'

Black Widow though- Genderbending Taskmaster didn't ruin it for me, but that whole "she needs a thumb drive plugged in..." ehhhh.. :thumbsdown:

Last edited:

D'Evils

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
tenor.gif

joneblaze

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Widow gets her due

PRAISE: But is it to little to late ...well yes and no.
In the story revolving around Black Widow, confronting the darker parts of her ledger when a dangerous conspiracy with ties to her past arises.
Scarlett Johansson as Natasha Romanoff / Black Widow is great in the role as usual and there's a great dynamic between her and Florence Pugh as her "sister" Yelena Belova then when the whole "family" gets together including David Harbour as her "father" Alexei Shostakov / Red Guardian and Rachel Weisz as her "mother"Melina Vostokoff it was truly fun to watch
I would actually like to see a series based on Red Guardians glory days.
As a Marvel fan I loved the name drops and references.
The back story for their family and origins of the Black Widows was pretty interesting and surprisingly dark.
I'm actually shocked the Widows weren't more off balance.
There is a lot of raw emotion brilliantly displayed by the main characters.
Some of the action sequences and fight scenes are sharply done.There are a couple of scenes toward the end of the film that were great and I wondered how more effective they would have been if BW got a film earlier in the MCU timeline.

PROBLEMS: The villains have several scenes in which they shine but run out of steam fast. Plot holes are scattered here and there. Some of the CGI looked terrible. I always wonder how much an actor gets paid for just showing their face twice and having one line of dialog.
One scene was so drawn out I couldn't help but say ok let's move on already.
Suspension of disbelief is asked for several times.
I felt one of the characters was really watered down.

It's a bittersweet feeling I have for this film. Not only bittersweet because a lot more could have been done in this film but also because of the ultimate fate of this character. As some of the actors have moved on from the MCU its time for me to move on to what's coming in the MCU.

giphy.gif

Scale of 1 to 10 a 7

VAiz4hustlaz

Proud ADOS and not afraid to step to da mic!
BGOL Investor
Widow gets her due

PRAISE: But is it to little to late ...well yes and no.
In the story revolving around Black Widow, confronting the darker parts of her ledger when a dangerous conspiracy with ties to her past arises.
Scarlett Johansson as Natasha Romanoff / Black Widow is great in the role as usual and there's a great dynamic between her and Florence Pugh as her "sister" Yelena Belova then when the whole "family" gets together including David Harbour as her "father" Alexei Shostakov / Red Guardian and Rachel Weisz as her "mother"Melina Vostokoff it was truly fun to watch
I would actually like to see a series based on Red Guardians glory days.
As a Marvel fan I loved the name drops and references.
The back story for their family and origins of the Black Widows was pretty interesting and surprisingly dark.
I'm actually shocked the Widows weren't more off balance.
There is a lot of raw emotion brilliantly displayed by the main characters.
Some of the action sequences and fight scenes are sharply done.There are a couple of scenes toward the end of the film that were great and I wondered how more effective they would have been if BW got a film earlier in the MCU timeline.

PROBLEMS: The villains have several scenes in which they shine but run out of steam fast. Plot holes are scattered here and there. Some of the CGI looked terrible. I always wonder how much an actor gets paid for just showing their face twice and having one line of dialog.
One scene was so drawn out I couldn't help but say ok let's move on already.
Suspension of disbelief is asked for several times.
I felt one of the characters was really watered down.

It's a bittersweet feeling I have for this film. Not only bittersweet because a lot more could have been done in this film but also because of the ultimate fate of this character. As some of the actors have moved on from the MCU its time for me to move on to what's coming in the MCU.

giphy.gif

Scale of 1 to 10 a 7

"Some of the action sequences and fight scenes are sharply done.There are a couple of scenes toward the end of the film that were great and I wondered how more effective they would have been if BW got a film earlier in the MCU timeline."

Which ones? And elaborate on the problems.

dtownsfinest

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
THANK YOU

Somebody had to say it.
I feel like the reason it's getting so much props is because 1) it's Tom Hiddleston, a fan favorite actor; and 2) because it's a white show wiping the bitter taste of black truth (from Falcon and Winter Soldier) out of people's mouths.

I respect what the show is doing to set up phase 5 and beyond- I hypothesize that Kang is maintaining the "sacred timeline" because that is the one where events occur to his advantage/desire- and it's dope that what Sylvie did that suddenly created all these divergent timelines that we will surely see in the next few marvel movies; but beyond that, the show just isn't that great or interesting to me.... The alligator was cool tho'

Black Widow though- Genderbending Taskmaster didn't ruin it for me, but that whole "she needs a thumb drive plugged in..." ehhhh.. :thumbsdown:

From a filmmaking perspective......I think Loki has been their best series to date so I get why its a critic darling. I've loved all 3 equally. I gotta see how the finale goes for me to determine how I rank them. I got Falcon/Winter Soldier #1 with #2 going to Wandavision.....

I'll say this about Disney/Marvel....they've made me care about characters I didn't give a fuck about. Loki is cool but I'm not a fan like most but we know he does his job in the films and he's usually written well. But man it was hard to give a fuck about Wanda or Vision or Falcon or Winter Solider...now I'm hooked and ready for whatever Marvel got whether its a film or a series for them.

dtownsfinest

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
If Black Widow was a standalone film and not tied to Marvel.....I'd say it was a great film. I still think it was solid though. I just have no interest of knowing her backstory knowing her fate in the universe.....seems like it would've been better suited to be a Disney series honestly....but shit its making money so they know what they doing. :lol:

I think the best thing is the cast.....they are far more interesting than Black Widow to me personally.

Darkness's

" Jackie Reinhart is a lady.."
Registered
In the Dark World the story was about Thor, Loki and their family and Thano's plan. You were watching for the villain that is why you missed out on a great movie. Smh.

Black Panther was deeper than Killmonger as a villain. It was about the Black Panther's dad as a villain and Killmonger as a misunderstood and hurt outcast.

Ultron wasn't a villain but more of a reflection of man's hubris.
I dont think king t'chake was a villian he just made bad choices. Out wasn't like his intentuons were to outright kill n'djobo he was more than likely going to take him back to wakanda to have him imprisoned. When be killed n'djobo it was more of a heat of the moment thing. What made him a villian wanting to preserve wakanda's way of life and safe guarding a potentially dangerous subset ce for.m winding up in the wrong hands. Him leaving eric in Oakland was more of a dark secret i dont think it . kilmonger was more of a tragic villian. I think he was more angry at his family than all of wakanda. I guess. Proppe interpret this movie in so many ways. Expand more on why you think t'chaka is a villian.

Camille

Kitchen Wench #TeamQuaid
Staff member
I can't find the gif of when Winter Soldier threw the shield at Cap
It got lodged into the side of that van, & almost took Caps his head off

Similar to when Taskmaster threw his/her shield down the subway escalator
And it got lodged into the column/beam

At the .40 second mark.....

They said Taskmaster mimics anyone she had ever seen fight, so why is this unexpected?

Darkness's

" Jackie Reinhart is a lady.."
Registered
Taskmaster is a 3rd or 4th rate baddie at best (magneto Dr. Doom 1st rate, Dr octopus 2nd rate for purpose of example.)
Taskmaster was literally created to be a multi use villian for different heros as needed for the story.

IMO no big deal how they used him in the movie.

They gave taskmaster the wolverine origi s deadpool treatment. Theres no excuse for that.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
$158 mil worldwide and still hasn't broke even ($200 mil) with a 41% drop by day 2 :smh:. Movie wasn't all that bad I'm just thinking people expected more out of it being that it was Black Widow. Covid and push backs didn't help much either.

Its all covid related.

If this movie was released how and when it was supposed to?

It would have been box office fireworks.

PRE - Pandemic folk were trying to pre order tickets before this movie was even completed.

EVERYTHING would have been different ...EVERYTHING

all the marketing promotions

and every Disney + release.

CurtDawg

Rising Star
Platinum Member
They said Taskmaster mimics anyone she had ever seen fight, so why is this unexpected?

Did Taskmaster see Winter Soldier shoot a projectile underneath a van to blow it up? :hmm:
Or is it just lazy writing because the writers/producers want to recycle basically the same scenes from another movie
:puzzled::puzzled::puzzled:

xxxbishopxxx

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Is anybody really shocked by this? I believe people on this board said certain event movies like Black Widow will do well with a dual release system.

The only problem for Hollywood is that it won't work with the majority of Hollywood releases.

Very few movies will be able to pull this off.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Is anybody really shocked by this? I believe people on this board said certain event movies like Black Widow will do well with a dual release system.

The only problem for Hollywood is that it won't work with the majority of Hollywood releases.

Very few movies will be able to pull this off.

but we ALSO had dudes on here saying it was a flop BEFORE it was released and even AFTER seeing those numbers

saying it UNDER performed.

xxxbishopxxx

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
but we ALSO had dudes on here saying it was a flop BEFORE it was released and even AFTER seeing those numbers

saying it UNDER performed.
Seeing some of the replies about this movie, just kind of reinforced why Disney and Feige were so hesitant about releasing a Black Widow film in the first place.

Doing these numbers in the Covid era is really good, considering.

VAiz4hustlaz

Proud ADOS and not afraid to step to da mic!
BGOL Investor
$158 mil worldwide and still hasn't broke even ($200 mil) with a 41% drop by day 2 :smh:. Movie wasn't all that bad I'm just thinking people expected more out of it being that it was Black Widow. Covid and push backs didn't help much either.

Why are you overlooking the Disney+ numbers?

mrcmd187

Controversy Creates Cash
BGOL Investor
Its all covid related.

If this movie was released how and when it was supposed to?

It would have been box office fireworks.

PRE - Pandemic folk were trying to pre order tickets before this movie was even completed.

EVERYTHING would have been different ...EVERYTHING

all the marketing promotions

and every Disney + release.
This why we had a big debate on here last year of what was going to happen to the movie industry as a whole, most thought we be back in full swing some said streaming movie (blockbusters) would not happen but here we are. Billion dollar making movies are along way off right now and people aren't rushing back to movies like they are running back to everything else. Technology has brought the movie theater to the house or in my chase my side yard with a 4K projector(neighborhood just got done watching BW). The model they are running with now will be the norm for awhile cause movie they have been sending straight to theaters with no simultaneous stream release aren't drawing the money they thought they would and it's a slow costly lesson they will learn. We already planning a Space Jam BBQ party for the neighborhood kids Friday :thumbsup:

mrcmd187

Controversy Creates Cash
BGOL Investor
Numbers would be way higher with theaters at full capacity. My theater only had a handful of people in it. Normally it would have been sold out.
They lifted restrictions here and opened up all theaters here when FF9 dropped my daughter and grand kids went on opening day total of 18 people were there them included