MOVIES ~ Any of ya'll seen any good (or shitty) movies in recent weeks/months? Post reviews, feedback, movie news, trailers, recommendations, etc ...

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
Gargoyles

4/10

This is an old school, made for network TV horror flick. It’s one of those sleeper cult classics that every now and then pops up on someone’s all-time favorites list.

I last saw it in the late 70s repeated on network TV during some horror fest and again some time in the 90s on cable TV. I watched it last night on the road on tubi.

It’s a basic cheesy flick that is entertaining somewhat. There isn’t anything fantastic about it.

There is a funny sub-plot with the head Gargoyle (played by late veteran Black actor, Bernie Casey) going “King Kong Thirsty” for the White girl. The head female Gargoyle (who is his mate) is not happy about it and lets him know.

There isn’t anything for graphic violence being network TV in the early 70s still had strict censorship standards. Gargoyle makeup/costumes actually look pretty decent for a low budget made for TV film.

Veteran actor Scott Glenn co-stars in a minor role. The film left off for a potential sequel.

tubi has a clean copy of the film.

Synopsis

An anthropologist and his daughter, while travelling through the southwestern US, stumble upon a colony of living, breathing gargoyles.

MV5BMjAyMjQ1ODA3NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNTMxMTY5._V1_.jpg

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
The Zone of Interest

9/10

I watched this one last night on the road on MAX. It had come up in my recommendations after watching the documentary series “Kill All The Brutes”.

I went into not expecting anything…but this film highly impressed me. I watched it last night on the road.

It’s a WW2 Holocaust film based around the Auschwitz Commandant Rudolph Hoss. What makes it stand out from others is it uses the “Less Is More” in its presentation. You do not see any of the horrors happening in the Auschwitz concentration camp. The film does a fantastic job of addressing the horrors by the reactions of the Hoss family whose home borders the camp.

Without spoiling it, during a large part of film, you will hear a somewhat annoying noise, there is nothing wrong with the sound, as the film plays you will soon figure out what the noise is. Other good scenes is when Rudolph takes his kids to the river, the train arriving at Auschwitz and the crematorium smoke stack that occasionally is shown. The wife’s mother’s reaction when reality finally kicks in is a highlight of the film. Other scenarios play out thru-out the film showing the horror.

This is a good film to sit and watch with your children. It’s easy to explain to them what they are seeing without upsetting them. The film is from German, MAX has it with subtitles.

Overall, this is a must see film for everyone.

The film ends in modern day, showing janitors cleaning the Auschwitz site museum. The images of it will get you to think.

Synopsis

In 1943, the commandant of Auschwitz, Rudolf Höss, and his wife, Hedwig, strive to build a dream life for their family in a house right next to the concentration and extermination camp he helped create.

MV5BYzRmOGQwZjktYjM2Ni00M2NmLWFlZDYtZGFhM2RkM2VhZDI1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTM1NjM2ODg1._V1_.jpg

joneblaze

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
A Quiet Place, A: Day One

Suspenseful in Places

PRAISE: 6 years after the original movie there's still gas in the tank in this franchise. This time around the story is about A woman named Sam who ends up finding herself in the middle of an alien invasion but still goes off on a mission that is very personal. I liked the Sam character right from the start and part of it has to do with funny but sympathetic performance from Lupita Nyong’o. I can't talk about the character and not mention her fearless and smart cat Frodo. I can see why the pet was written in to the film.There are charming and heartfelt moments in the movie that are attached to some great suspenseful moments. When the character of Eric is introduced portrayed by Joseph Quinn the charming parts of the film are reved up because they both depend on each other not only for survival but encouragement. The aliens are still an intimidating and vicious force to be reckoned with and really stand out in some key scenes. This is a smaller film than the first 2 but there's enough here to connect all 3 movies and this is still effective as a stand alone film.

PROBLEMS: Sure like any film franchise things that made the first film so great and that inspired sequels,(including box office numbers)starts to thin out. There are definitely moments that are not that involving and there's definitely a been there done that feel around the edges coupled with a few predictable moments.

Scale of 1 to 10 a 7½

Horizon: An American Saga — Chapter 1

Ponderous but hard hitting Horizon

PRAISE: Kevin Costners passion project hits the big screen and I could definitely tell this is the R rated western that he has always wanted to make. He and Co writer Jon Baird have created multiple story threads for this film and it took some time for me to warm up to the characters and once that happened I definitely found myself more involved in what was happening in the story. The characters I felt the most for were Frances (Sienna Miller) and daughter Elizabeth (Georgia MacPhail) through harrowing unforseen occurrences have to depend not only on each other but U.S Army officers including First Lieutenant Trent Gephardt (Sam Worthington) I liked the characters blunt honesty towards the settlers who even though facing obvious hard truths didnt accept or didn't want to accept such truths because they were sold a false dream.Then theres Russell (Etienne Kellici) who's going through his own trauma after an attack by the Apache.The Apache, and its warrior Pionsenay (Owen Crow Shoe) still wants to fight for their land against all odds but the tribal-chief father Tuayeseh’s (Gregory Cruz) seeks peace.
Costner doesn't pull any punches in his story telling, with the brutality,hard living,take what and who I want mindset of the old west. When his character is introduced Hayes Ellison it's a laid back I just want to handle my business persona to him but of course with a lot of Costners western characters there is more than meets the eye. Especially when Ellison is being hounded by psychopath Caleb Sykes (Jamie Campbell Bower. The action and attack sequences are hard hitting as I said before NO punches are pulled. There are string themes throughout the movie. Seeking revenge and vengeance comes with a price. Costners direction is on point as usual especially in several suspenseful scenes. There's a nice who's who of familiar actors and actresses blended in the film. I thought it was cool when the words spoken by Danny Huston as Colonel Houghton are exactly what's playing out in the Yellowstone series.

PROBLEMS: The first hour and fifteen minutes definitely meander. It took me time to actually care about the characters that were being introduced. Some characters are so blatant about what they are all about it made parts of this film and will make parts of the next film very predictable.
I thought it was odd how a character couldn't read the room even though other characters were spelling it out.A better editing job should have been done at the end of the movie because I'm absolutely sure other people who watch this movie will be as confused as I was.

Scale of 1 to 10 a 7½

In a Violent Nature

Vivid Violence

PRAISE: Writer and Director Chris Nash must be a huge fan of The Friday the 13th movies and the relentless killer Jason because it truly shows in this movie. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that because I'm a fan of those movies too even when they became ultra campy and silly. This story about a killer rising again to obtain a gold locket is definitely an over the top,and dwelling gore fest and it provides several moments so crazy I laughed a lot and sure it made me wince a few times. The mute killer appealed to me because as aforementioned im also a Jason fan.There are a couple of obnoxious characters I couldn't wait to see become just memories and I was given just that.

PROBLEMS: The characters are dumb and then some. If anyone that watches this and loves long and i mean really long nature walks during different times of the day visually this is the movie for you. I found these scenes to be obnoxious and that Nash was just trying to make it to the 92 minute mark. The backstory doesn't even make sense when I sat there and really thought about it and what actions weren't taken by a certain character. The last 15 minutes are so dull I picked up my phone to watch Friday the 13 in 3D trailer to amuse myself.

Scale of 1 to 10 a 6

joneblaze

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Beverly Hills Cop: Axel F

Fun Foley

PRAISE : 30 years after........(WOW 30 YEARS !!!!) the last BHC of course there have been major changes in Axel Foley's life and those changes are complicated with a lot of strings attached as Foley returns to Beverly Hills after his daughter's life's threatened
Murphys pairing with Joseph Gordon-Levitt is a good one especially in an action sequence which made me laugh several times. As Captain Cade Grant Kevin Bacon chews up some scenery and is in one mode but i actually found him amusing especially when he got into complaining monologues several times. I thought Taylour Paige did well as his daughter Jane.
The movie is filled to the brim with fun BHC nostalgia and call backs. It was fun to see the characters of Foley Billy Rosewood (Judge Reinhold) and John Taggart (John Ashton) still in contact and circling each other.
Murphy still has it and of course he slips right back into Foley's Detroit Lion's jacket with ease,with the mannerisms,perceptiveness and snark intact. The production value of the movie is great and i can tell Netflix definitely didnt cut back in that area. While the callbacks are fun i was glad the movie didnt rely on them.

PROBLEMS:When the trailer dropped for this movie i knew who the villain would be so nothing shocking there. There is some old hat estranged parent story threads that hit the repetitive button to many times. There are definitely some predictable moments. The why dont you retire,im to old for this sh** threads felt a bit overdone and also repetitive.

Scale of 1 to 10 a 7½

Complex

Internet Superstar
BGOL Investor
Quiet Place Day One

It gives you nothing other than another story from the Quiet Place universe.

It almost seemed like a money grab to me. I guess they're going to keep doing these with different people in different parts of the world :dunno:

It was cool, but it was close to becoming boring, because honestly I didn't care about the people. When the aliens weren't on the screen or not around I didn't really care about the interaction and conversations. Luckily, they kept it at a good length where it didn't become boring.

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
I hope everyone calms down now...

Just a few weeks ago the movies were all about to collapse, franchises and sequels and reboots were killing everything.

So ummm...

Now what yall say?

A lot of people love complaining and look for doom and misery in everything.

With some people it’s a immediate knee jerk reaction.

It’s just a unfortunate part of being human.

CurtDawg

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Quiet Place Day One

It gives you nothing other than another story from the Quiet Place universe.

It almost seemed like a money grab to me. I guess they're going to keep doing these with different people in different parts of the world :dunno:

It was cool, but it was close to becoming boring, because honestly I didn't care about the people. When the aliens weren't on the screen or not around I didn't really care about the interaction and conversations. Luckily, they kept it at a good length where it didn't become boring.

Yeah I thought it was probably a 6.5 out of 10
Not terrible, but not as good as the first two movies

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member

Complex

Internet Superstar
BGOL Investor
Beverly Hills Cop: Axel F

Fun Foley

PRAISE : 30 years after........(WOW 30 YEARS !!!!) the last BHC of course there have been major changes in Axel Foley's life and those changes are complicated with a lot of strings attached as Foley returns to Beverly Hills after his daughter's life's threatened
Murphys pairing with Joseph Gordon-Levitt is a good one especially in an action sequence which made me laugh several times. As Captain Cade Grant Kevin Bacon chews up some scenery and is in one mode but i actually found him amusing especially when he got into complaining monologues several times. I thought Taylour Paige did well as his daughter Jane.
The movie is filled to the brim with fun BHC nostalgia and call backs. It was fun to see the characters of Foley Billy Rosewood (Judge Reinhold) and John Taggart (John Ashton) still in contact and circling each other.
Murphy still has it and of course he slips right back into Foley's Detroit Lion's jacket with ease,with the mannerisms,perceptiveness and snark intact. The production value of the movie is great and i can tell Netflix definitely didnt cut back in that area. While the callbacks are fun i was glad the movie didnt rely on them.

PROBLEMS:When the trailer dropped for this movie i knew who the villain would be so nothing shocking there. There is some old hat estranged parent story threads that hit the repetitive button to many times. There are definitely some predictable moments. The why dont you retire,im to old for this sh** threads felt a bit overdone and also repetitive.

Scale of 1 to 10 a 7½

I don't recall ever have seeing the other three...I was too young, but I liked this

I went back and watched one and two on Netflix and found them enjoyable also.

I need to go back and watch 48 Hours now. I realized my Eddie is more 90's besides Trading Places.

I guess I'll give Golden Child a shot also.

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
I don't recall ever have seeing the other three...I was too young, but I liked this

I went back and watched one and two on Netflix and found them enjoyable also.

I need to go back and watch 48 Hours now. I realized my Eddie is more 90's besides Trading Places.

I guess I'll give Golden Child a shot also.

I’m gonna have to go back and rewatch the the others cuz I have completely forgot what happened to them.

They are not the type of films you watch over and over thru the years.

I will watch them before watching the Netflix movie to catch up on the characters.