MOVIES ~ Any of ya'll seen any good (or shitty) movies in recent weeks/months? Post reviews, feedback, movie news, trailers, recommendations, etc ...

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
Jason’s Lyric

5.5/10

I watched this one last night on the road on tubi. I had last seen it in the theater when it came out with this bird I was dating at the time.

My curiosity in rewatching it kicked in when the group “Black Men United” video randomly popped up in my YouTube recommendations a couple months ago.

It’s an interesting film that came out during the Black Film renaissance of the 1990s, introducing a new generation of young Black actors and directors into Hollywood.

The film is a romantic drama that also deals with serious themes/issues that are still affecting the Black community today. The movie isn’t preachy when it deals with serious issues.

Jada Pinkett-Smith co-stars in one of her earliest film roles. She hadn’t come close to hitting her prime in the looks department. She will definitely keep you looking at the screen when her scenes come on. There is slight nudity of her, but not much is shown during a love scene.

Jada and Treach, who co-stars, both do lame southern Houston accents. They should have just spoke in their normal voices. There are a number of well known actors in supporting roles in the film with some at the start of their film careers.

The movie proceeds at a good pace periodically doing flashbacks with the two main characters.

At the end, there is a scene which was supposed to be intense, but fell flat being the actors are not experienced. It comes off like a high school drama scene. That was the main downer I have with the film.

Synopsis

In a violent, drug-infested neighborhood in Houston, Jason (Allen Payne) dreams of something better. He works as a TV salesman and helps out his mother, and tries to steer his criminally minded brother, Joshua (Bokeem Woodbine), onto the right path. But real joy enters Jason's life when he meets Lyric (Jada Pinkett). As their romance develops, Jason starts to see a future for himself -- while also being forced to confront a painful secret from his past.

MV5BYWI3Zjc5ZGYtMDVmOS00MDI3LTlkZjAtODZlM2JhYWFjZjBjXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjMwMjk0MTQ@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Jason’s Lyric

5.5/10

I watched this one last night on the road on tubi. I had last seen it in the theater when it came out with this bird I was dating at the time.

My curiosity in rewatching it kicked in when the group “Black Men United” video randomly popped up in my YouTube recommendations a couple months ago.

It’s an interesting film that came out during the Black Film renaissance of the 1990s, introducing a new generation of young Black actors and directors into Hollywood.

The film is a romantic drama that also deals with serious themes/issues that are still affecting the Black community today. The movie isn’t preachy when it deals with serious issues.

Jada Pinkett-Smith co-stars in one of her earliest film roles. She hadn’t come close to hitting her prime in the looks department. She will definitely keep you looking at the screen when her scenes come on. There is slight nudity of her, but not much is shown during a love scene.

Jada and Treach, who co-stars, both do lame southern Houston accents. They should have just spoke in their normal voices. There are a number of well known actors in supporting roles in the film with some at the start of their film careers.

The movie proceeds at a good pace periodically doing flashbacks with the two main characters.

At the end, there is a scene which was supposed to be intense, but fell flat being the actors are not experienced. It comes off like a high school drama scene. That was the main downer I have with the film.

Synopsis

In a violent, drug-infested neighborhood in Houston, Jason (Allen Payne) dreams of something better. He works as a TV salesman and helps out his mother, and tries to steer his criminally minded brother, Joshua (Bokeem Woodbine), onto the right path. But real joy enters Jason's life when he meets Lyric (Jada Pinkett). As their romance develops, Jason starts to see a future for himself -- while also being forced to confront a painful secret from his past.

tumblr_mjy14tzxsH1s65rzwo2_400.gif

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
Bionic

4/10

I watched this one last night on the road on Netflix. It recently debuted.

It’s a Sci-Fi thriller, with not much thriller to it. Normally a film like this would have an all White cast with one Black person in it, doing a non-important supporting role. This film has 4 primary Black actors with 2 Black females and 2 Black males with White supporting co-stars.

The film takes place about 10 years in the future and mainly revolves around the issues of Bionics being used in professional sports.

Mid-way thru the film, the bad guy reveals his devious plans in full. At this point I felt the film just dropped in being interesting….but it rebounded at the end introducing an interesting plot that would have been great if it was used in this film.

Not gonna spoil it, but Netflix has a good potential of making a decent trilogy with this film with how it ended. Unfortunately, Netflix has a shit load of films that have debuted over the past 10 years sitting in limbo with no updates on continuing them. I suspect this film will follow that tradition.

Besides the bad guy revealing his devious plans. The fight scenes with the main character came off corny being all she has is a bionic leg. She goes running around like she is “The Winter Soldier”, it just isn’t believable.

VFX/SFX are standard looking, nothing spectacular being the film is set 10 years in the future.

Overall, it’s an interesting film. Hopefully Netflix continues it.

The film is from Brazil. Netflix has it automatically dubbed in English from Portuguese.

Synopsis

When the progress of robotics makes Paralympic athletes the new sports stars, Maria dreams of competing against her sister. For that, she will have to enter a world of crime and violence.

MV5BNzQxZmJhMzctZmI1Ni00MjFjLWEyZmMtMTRkOTQ4NTBiMjQ2XkEyXkFqcGc@._V1_.jpg

joneblaze

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I don't recall ever have seeing the other three...I was too young, but I liked this

I went back and watched one and two on Netflix and found them enjoyable also.

I need to go back and watch 48 Hours now. I realized my Eddie is more 90's besides Trading Places.

I guess I'll give Golden Child a shot also.
The Golden Child was a fun movie and the lovely Charlotte Lewis makes it even better. Eddie even dated her off screen

joneblaze

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Maxxxine

Trilogy reaches Maximum

PRAISE: Taking place in 1985 another period of time in which people suddenly woke up and got upset about the Adult Film Industry and salty lyrics in music adult film star and aspiring actress Maxine Minx finally gets her big break but is threatened by her past and a killer.
Director and writer Ti West perfectly captures the mood of the aforementioned time period with the look and inclusion of music. I love Mia Goth and she does a good job here as a woman who is determined to make the leap from adult films to mainstream movies.Giancar Esposito has a good turn as her agent. Kevin Bacon was good as a swarmy detective. I almost didnt recognize Michelle Monaghan but i thought she had a moment that was pretty funny.There are definitely some good kills and a couple of them do stand out because of how dwelling they are and are given that extra flare of gore.
The climax of the film was pretty good around the edges. I liked a couple of haunting moments that had nice touches in what was provided visually. Nice nods to classic horror movies.

PROBLEMS: I didn't find this movie to be as involving as X or Pearl. It felt lackluster at its core. I couldn't get on board with how a few things played out. The ending was definitely predictable.

Scale of 1 to 10 a 7

Boneyard

The screenplay for this movie written by Vincent E. McDaniel,Asif Akbar,Hank Byrd and
Koji Steven Sakai is not that great but at least it's heart is in the right place and it is amusing at times. The story about an FBI agent (Mel Gibson) and the Chief of Police in Albuquerque (Curtis Jackson) on the hunt for a serial killer known as The Bone Collector and loosely based on the West Mesa murders works at times but definitely has some blatant faults. Even though characters are provided tons of information about the Killer and are personally connected its as if they forget the information from one day to the next. There are several unnecessary scenes because they are provided to get the viewer to care about a couple of characters but I didn't and just found their fates unintentionally funny. The cast does their best but they are bogged down by twists that lead to absolutely nothing.

Scale of 1 to 10 a 5½

Complex

Internet Superstar
BGOL Investor
Maxxxine

Mia Goth carried this

I was underwhelmed by the villain. Kevin Bacon and Giancarlo did a good job though.

They don't hold back with the violence, plus there was a scene that was the worst scene I've seen in a movie in a long time. :smh: Damn. You would think Ti West wasn't a man.

If you've seen X and Pearl you have to see this, but it's probably not anything you need to run out and see at the movies.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

c5b0f970b00d4af99bcab0ff2fa24d1b_md.jpg

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend