NBA Season is Returning This Year!!!!!!!

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
USA Basketball announces 57 finalists for U.S. Olympic Men's Team
Fifteen players were added to a group headlined by LeBron James and Kevin Durant to bring the total to 57
Official release

March 11, 2021 11:15 AM

LeBron James and Kevin Durant, shown during the 2012 Olympics, headline the 57 finalists for U.S. Olympic Men’s Team.

Adding 15 players to 42 previously selected USA Basketball Men’s National Team finalists, 57 athletes today were announced by USA Basketball as finalists for the U.S. Olympic Men’s Basketball Team. The player selections were approved by the USA Basketball Board of Directors. The official 12-member U.S. Olympic Men’s Basketball Team roster will be announced later this year.

Added to the 2021 USA National Team roster, from which the U.S. Olympic Men’s Basketball Team will be selected, were Jarrett Allen (Cleveland Cavaliers); Eric Gordon (Houston Rockets); Jerami Grant (Detroit Pistons); Blake Griffin (Brooklyn Nets); Jrue Holiday (Milwaukee Bucks); DeAndre Jordan (Brooklyn Nets); Zach LaVine (Chicago Bulls); Julius Randle (New York Knicks); Duncan Robinson (Miami Heat); Mitchell Robinson (New York Knicks); Fred VanVleet (Toronto Raptors); John Wall (Houston Rockets); Zion Williamson (New Orleans Pelicans); Christian Wood (Houston Rockets); and Trae Young (Atlanta Hawks).

Forty-two of the athletes who were named as finalists on Feb. 10, 2020, also were confirmed for the 2021 list, including: Bam Adebayo (Miami Heat); LaMarcus Aldridge (San Antonio Spurs); Harrison Barnes (Sacramento Kings); Bradley Beal (Washington Wizards); Devin Booker (Phoenix Suns); Malcolm Brogdon (Indiana Pacers); Jaylen Brown (Boston Celtics); Jimmy Butler (Miami Heat); Mike Conley (Utah Jazz); Stephen Curry (Golden State Warriors); Anthony Davis (Los Angeles Lakers); DeMar DeRozan (San Antonio Spurs); Andre Drummond (Cleveland Cavaliers); Kevin Durant (Brooklyn Nets); Paul George (LA Clippers); Draymond Green (Golden State Warriors); James Harden (Brooklyn Nets); Montrezl Harrell (Los Angeles Lakers); Joe Harris (Brooklyn Nets); Tobias Harris (Philadelphia 76ers); Gordon Hayward (Charlotte Hornets); Dwight Howard (Philadelphia 76ers); Brandon Ingram (New Orleans Pelicans); Kyrie Irving (Brooklyn Nets); LeBron James (Los Angeles Lakers); Kyle Kuzma (Los Angeles Lakers); Kawhi Leonard (LA Clippers); Damian Lillard (Portland Trail Blazers); Brook Lopez (Milwaukee Bucks); Kevin Love (Cleveland Cavaliers); Kyle Lowry (Toronto Raptors); JaVale McGee (Cleveland Cavaliers); Khris Middleton (Milwaukee Bucks); Donovan Mitchell (Utah Jazz); Victor Oladipo (Houston Rockets); Chris Paul (Phoenix Suns); Mason Plumlee (Detroit Pistons); Jayson Tatum (Boston Celtics); Myles Turner (Indiana Pacers); Kemba Walker (Boston Celtics); Russell Westbrook (Washington Wizards); and Derrick White (San Antonio Spurs).

“With the postponement of the Tokyo Olympics from 2020 to 2021, it’s important that we continue to remain flexible and consider all players who can contribute to our efforts to field the best USA team possible. These additions we are announcing today will help ensure that we are doing that,” said Jerry Colangelo, who has served as the managing director of the USA Basketball Men’s National Team since 2005.
“Having a larger player pool than what we normally have is critical because of all of the uncertainties we face about availability. But for USA Basketball to receive the commitment of so many outstanding players remains an indicator of the great honor of representing your country means to these men.”

The USA National Team coaching staff is led by long-time San Antonio Spurs head coach Gregg Popovich, and serving as USA assistant coaches are Golden State Warriors head coach Steve Kerr, former Atlanta Hawks head coach Lloyd Pierce and Villanova University head coach Jay Wright.
All told, there are 29 players who have played for the USA in an Olympics and/or a FIBA World Cup, and together they have won 31 Olympic or FIBA Basketball World Cup gold medals and four bronze medals.

The list of finalists includes nine members of the gold medalist 2016 U.S. Olympic Team, seven gold medalists from the 2012 U.S. Olympic Team and three gold medalists from the 2008 U.S. Olympic Team.

Three-time Olympic medalist James (2008 and 2012 gold, 2004 bronze) could be become just the second U.S. male basketball player to make four U.S. Olympic teams (tying with Carmelo Anthony), while Durant (2012 and 2016 gold medalist) and Paul (2008 and 2012 gold medalist) are seeking to become three-time Olympians.

Nine players from the gold medal winning 2016 U.S. Olympic team that went 8-0 in Rio de Janeiro remain in contention, including Barnes, Butler, DeRozan, Durant, George, Green, Irving, Jordan and Lowry.

Davis, Durant, Harden, James, Love, Paul and Westbrook were members of the 2012 U.S. Olympic team that compiled an unblemished record of 8-0 and captured gold in London; while Howard, James and Paul were gold medalists with the 2008 U.S. Olympic Team.

Eleven members of the USA’s 2019 World Cup Team are among the 2021 finalists, including Barnes, Brown, Joe Harris, Lopez, Middleton, Mitchell, Plumlee, Tatum, Turner, Walker and White.

Seven were members of the 2014 USA World Cup Team that finished 9-0 and captured gold in Spain, including Curry, Davis, DeRozan, Drummond, Harden, World Cup MVP Irving and Plumlee. Five finalists were members of the 2010 USA World Cup squad that went 9-0 and captured gold in Istanbul, Turkey, including Curry, World Cup MVP Durant, Gordon, Love and Westbrook; while Howard, James and Paul earned a bronze medal at the 2006 FIBA World Cup in Japan.

The finalists represent 24 different NBA teams, with the Brooklyn Nets (Durant, Griffin, Harden, Joe Harris, Irving and Jordan), leading the way with six players; while the Cleveland Cavaliers (Allen, Drummond, Love and McGee), Houston Rockets (Gordon, Oladipo, Wall and Wood) and Los Angeles Lakers (Davis, Harrell, James and Kuzma) all feature four players; and the Boston Celtics (Brown, Tatum and Walker), San Antonio Spurs (Aldridge, DeRozan and White), Miami Heat (Adebayo, Butler and Duncan Robinson) and the Milwaukee Bucks (Holiday, Lopez and Middleton) each feature three players. The Detroit Pistons (Grant and Plumlee), Golden State Warriors (Curry and Green), Indiana Pacers (Brogdon and Turner), LA Clippers (George and Leonard), New Orleans Pelicans (Ingram and Williamson), New York Knicks (Randell and Mitchell Robinson), Philadelphia 76ers (Tobias Harris and Howard), Phoenix Suns (Booker and Paul), Toronto Raptors (Lowry and VanVleet), Utah Jazz (Conley and Mitchell) and Washington Wizards (Beal and Westbrook) each have two players among the 57 finalists; and represented by one player are the Atlanta Hawks (Young), Charlotte Hornets (Haywood), Chicago Bulls (LaVine), Portland Trail Blazers (Lillard) and Sacramento Kings (Barnes).

Fifty-five finalists possess USA Basketball international or USA National Team experience. James leads the way with 68 games of international experience, and he is followed by Paul (50), Durant (44), Curry (40), Howard (38), Irving (33), Plumlee (31), Love (28), Westbrook (28), Tatum (26), Barnes (25), Davis (25), Harden (25), Drummond (25), Jordan (23), Green (22), Lopez (19), Turner (19), Brown (18), Walker (18), Beal (16), DeRozan (16), White (15), Gordon (14), Harrell (14), Butler (13), George (13), Joe Harris (13), Lowry (13), Middleton (13), Mitchell (13), Hayward (12), Allen (6), Conley (6), Holiday (6), Randle (6), Brogdon (5), Grant (5), Young (5), Kuzma (3), Lillard (3), Wall (3), Adebayo (1), Griffin (1), Ingram (1), Leonard (1) and Oladipo (1). Additionally, Aldridge, Booker, Tobias Harris, LaVine, McGee, Mitchell Robinson, VanVleet and Williamson have participated in previous USA National Team training camps. Only Duncan Robinson and Wood have no prior USA Basketball experience.

The USA National Team’s complete training schedule for 2021 will be announced at a later date.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Team USA Basketball at the Tokyo Olympics: Latest news, rosters, qualifiers
play
11:00 AM ET
ESPN.com
Facebook
Twitter
Facebook Messenger
Pinterest
Email
print
Team USA enters the Olympics in Tokyo as the three-time defending gold medal winner, but is coming off a disappointing seventh-place finish at the 2019 FIBA World Cup, the worst finish ever in a major international competition by a team from the United States.

Despite finishing seventh in China, Team USA has already qualified for the Olympics, which have been postponed due to the coronavirus pandemic. Team USA earned its spot by virtue of being one of the top two finishers from the Americas region at the World Cup. Six other teams qualified based on their World Cup finish, joining the U.S. and host nation Japan in the field for Tokyo. The final four spots in the field will be determined by four separate six-team qualifying tournaments to be held in June and July 2021.

MORE: What moving the Tokyo Olympics means for the NBA and Team USA

Olympic Qualifying Tournaments
June 29-July 4

Belgrade, Serbia
Group A: Dominican Republic, New Zealand, Serbia
Group B: Puerto Rico, Italy, Senegal

Kaunas, Lithuania
Group A: Lithuania, Korea, Venezuela
Group B: Poland, Slovenia, Angola

Split, Croatia
Group A: Germany, Russia, Mexico
Group B: Tunisia, Croatia, Brazil

Victoria, Canada
Group A: Greece, China, Canada
Group B: Uruguay, Czech Republic, Turkey

Tokyo Olympics Schedule
July 25-August 1: Group stage
August 3: Quarterfinals
August 5: Semifinals
August 7: Gold-medal and bronze-medal games

Qualified Nations
Argentina
Australia
France
Iran
Japan
Nigeria
Spain
United States

Latest news
• U.S. men's hoops to play France first at Olympics
• Tokyo Olympics officially postponed until 2021
• FIBA telling basketball players to stay inside
• Canada won't send athletes to Olympics if they're held in 2020
• Kerr: Team USA coaches still planning on Tokyo
• Popovich wants Durant in Olympics only if fully healthy
• LeBron on star-studded list of US Olympic finalists
• Warriors' Mike Brown to coach Olympic-bound Nigeria
• Aussies to bring back 76ers' Brett Brown as national coach
• Canada, Croatia, Lithuania, Serbia selected to host Olympic men's basketball qualifying

Who's in, who's out
On March 11, 2021, USA Basketball announced an updated list of 57 finalists for the Tokyo Olympics roster. Of that list, 42 players were originally named to the player pool on Feb. 10, 2020:

Bam Adebayo, Miami Heat
LaMarcus Aldridge, San Antonio Spurs
Harrison Barnes, Sacramento Kings
Bradley Beal, Washington Wizards
Devin Booker, Phoenix Suns
Malcolm Brogdon, Indiana Pacers
Jaylen Brown, Boston Celtics
Jimmy Butler, Miami Heat
Mike Conley Jr., Utah Jazz
Stephen Curry, Golden State Warriors
Anthony Davis, Los Angeles Lakers
DeMar DeRozan, San Antonio Spurs
Andre Drummond, Cleveland Cavaliers
Kevin Durant, Brooklyn Nets
Paul George, LA Clippers
Draymond Green, Golden State Warriors
James Harden, Houston Rockets
Montrezl Harrell, Los Angeles Lakers
Joe Harris, Brooklyn Nets
Tobias Harris, Philadelphia 76ers
Gordon Hayward, Charlotte Hornets
Dwight Howard, Philadelphia 76ers
Brandon Ingram, New Orleans Pelicans
Kyrie Irving, Brooklyn Nets
LeBron James, Los Angeles Lakers
Kyle Kuzma, Los Angeles Lakers
Kawhi Leonard, LA Clippers
Damian Lillard, Portland Trail Blazers
Brook Lopez, Milwaukee Bucks
Kevin Love, Cleveland Cavaliers
Kyle Lowry, Toronto Raptors
JaVale McGee, Cleveland Cavaliers
Khris Middleton, Milwaukee Bucks
Donovan Mitchell, Utah Jazz
Victor Oladipo, Houston Rockets
Chris Paul, Phoenix Suns
Mason Plumlee, Denver Nuggets
Jayson Tatum, Boston Celtics
Myles Turner, Indiana Pacers
Kemba Walker, Boston Celtics
Russell Westbrook, Washington Wizards
Derrick White, San Antonio Spurs

Marcus Smart and Klay Thompson were on the original list in Feb. 2020, but did not make the cut for the March 2021 player pool.

The 15 players added to the pool in March are:

Jarrett Allen, Cleveland Cavaliers
Eric Gordon, Houston Rockets
Jerami Grant, Detroit Pistons
Blake Griffin, Brooklyn Nets
Jrue Holiday, Milwaukee Bucks
DeAndre Jordan, Brooklyn Nets
Zach LaVine, Chicago Bulls
Julius Randle, New York Knicks
Duncan Robinson, Miami Heat
Mitchell Robinson, New York Knicks
Fred VanVleet, Toronto Raptors
John Wall, Houston Rockets
Zion Williamson, New Orleans Pelicans
Christian Wood, Houston Rockets
Trae Young, Atlanta Hawks

Multiple players who were in training camp for USA Basketball but withdrew from consideration prior to the 2019 World Cup were not included on the list of finalists for Tokyo 2020: Marvin Bagley III (Kings); De'Aaron Fox (Kings); CJ McCollum (Blazers); Paul Millsap (Nuggets); P.J. Tucker (Rockets).

Among players who weren't in China, many big names expressed their interest in returning to the roster. However, it remains to be seen how the COVID-19 pandemic and the compressed 2020-21 NBA schedule will affect their decisions:

• Jimmy Butler (Heat): At his introductory news conference in Miami, Butler said he would "most definitely" consider playing in the 2020 Olympics.
Butler played for USA Basketball at the Olympics in 2016.

• Stephen Curry (Warriors): "That is the plan, for sure. You know, obviously knock on wood, you don't want any injuries or things like that to interfere."
Curry played for USA Basketball at the World Cup in 2010 and 2014. He has not played in the Olympics.

• Anthony Davis (Lakers): "I want to play USA Basketball. If I get the opportunity to do so, if they invite me, I definitely would love to do so."
Davis played for USA Basketball at the Olympics in 2012 and at the World Cup in 2014.

•Paul George (Clippers): "I would love to. Hopefully, god willing, I can get through a season healthy. And when that time comes, I would love to be part of the Olympics and represent. But this comes first, obviously. And getting through this year, giving everything to this year. Hopefully, by June, we're the last team standing and I'll deal with it at that point. It doesn't really matter if we go all the way. As long as I'm healthy -- when I get to that point and I'm healthy, I'm in. I want to be part of that group."
George was injured playing for USA Basketball in the summer of 2014.

•Draymond Green (Warriors): "I definitely want to play in the Olympics next year. I'm actually planning my wedding around it."
Green played for USA Basketball at the Olympics in 2016.

• James Harden (Nets): "It's one of my goals to represent this beautiful country."
Harden played for USA Basketball at the Olympics in 2012 and at the World Cup in 2014.

• LeBron James (Lakers): "I would love to. ... I will address that at some point."
James played for USA Basketball at the Olympics in 2004, 2008 and 2012 and at the World Cup in 2006.

•Kawhi Leonard (Clippers): "I do want to play but I'm taking it one step at a time. And right now it is getting the Clippers to the Finals.
Leonard has yet to play for Team USA in major international competition.

• Damian Lillard (Trail Blazers): "I plan on being a part of that. I plan on playing."
Lillard has yet to play for Team USA in major international competition.

Will superstars save Team USA next year?

Team USA finished World Cup play with a win over Poland to finish seventh, their worst finish ever in a major event. Now what? Will superstars come to the rescue next summer in the Tokyo Games? Don't be too sure.

Read Brian Windhorst's analysis

'What did we just watch?': The bronze that broke USA Basketball

A third-place finish at the 2004 Athens Olympics wasn't just viewed as a failure -- it forced USA Basketball to rethink everything.

Read the oral history on the turning point for Team USA.

What is Gregg Popovich doing coaching Team USA?

What does Gregg Popovich have left to prove? Putting together this team is a big lift. Leading it to an undefeated run and a world championship is a big ask, even for a living legend with an impeccable record and solid gold reputation. The risk/reward ratio is off. So why is he doing it?

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
What is Gregg Popovich doing coaching Team USA?
play

Aug 8, 2019
  • Brian WindhorstESPN Senior Writer
LAS VEGAS -- It's a brutally hot August afternoon, and Gregg Popovich is running back and forth between Mike Krzyzewski, Jeff Van Gundy, Steve Kerr and Jay Wright, among others. They're comparing notes as Popovich's Team USA players go through scrimmages.
In the bleachers, a few dozen of his coaching peers, league executives and some scouts put in face time. They're keeping an eye on the action, but their minds also are occupied by questions about when would be the appropriate time to fly home, because it's finally vacation season for almost everyone in the sport.

ADVERTISEMENT

The players, many of them at least the third choice for their roster spot, are facing a preposterous task of having to force themselves to come together in an environment in which they might only be remembered if they lose.
And yes, they're struggling a little. Their lungs are burning as they get into shape. The ball consists of thin rubber and deep seams that most of them don't like. They have to endure an onslaught of questions from the media, asking whether this squad is capable of keeping up Team USA's 13-year winning streak.
Over the past two days, the media has seen three scrimmages. In one, the Americans' backup Select Team crushed the senior team. In Wednesday's two scrimmages, the sides tied, and that's only because Khris Middleton saved one game with a three-point play with less than a second left. It seems possible a couple of Select Team members could get promoted to the senior team by the end of the week.
All of it makes you stop and ask: Just what the hell is Popovich doing here?
What does he have left to prove? Putting together this team is a big lift. Leading it to an undefeated run and a world championship is a big ask, even for a living legend with an impeccable record and solid gold reputation. The risk/reward ratio is off.
Year One
All-access with top NBA rookies from before they are drafted until the end of their first season. Watch on ESPN+
His past forays with Team USA have been fraught. Some think he should've made the 1972 Olympic Team because he was fantastic in that year's training camp. But as a relatively unknown guard from Air Force without size or a big name, he was cut in a move that his friends say deeply bothered him for decades.
"They picked the right guys. I was an alternate, went to Brazil, alternate team, and partied my ass off," Popovich said, using humor to cover a scar, as he often does. "The thing I always wanted to do was be on the Olympic team and play. That was always my dream. You don't sit down and say, 'I'm going to coach the Olympic team one day.'"
He did coach as an assistant in 2002 and 2004. In 2002, the U.S. team was an embarrassment, finishing a ridiculous sixth in the World Championships in Indianapolis. The 2004 team finished with a bronze at the Olympics in Athens and was remembered as a disgrace.
"Those were peppy gigs," Popovich said.
Yet here his is, grinding away, taking it as seriously as he would the start of a playoff run with the San Antonio Spurs.
"I thought about it," he said. "I met with Mr. [Jerry] Colangelo [Team USA's managing director]. I took a little bit of time. We talked several times. I knew what I was getting into. It's your country. You say yes. You man up and try to surround yourself with as much brainpower as you can."
Jazz star Donovan Mitchell has embraced the opportunity to learn from Spurs coach Gregg Popovich with Team USA. Nathaniel S. Butler/NBAE/Getty Images
That's why Popovich was sitting with Krzyzewski on Wednesday afternoon and why they planned meetings later in the night as Popovich searched for some insight on putting his team together. Krzyzewski, who led the team from 2006 to 2016, flew in to advise. Stunningly, prior to 2015, when Popovich was named as Krzyzewski's replacement, the two men had never met.
"When I was at Pomona-Pitzer, we didn't play Duke," Popovich said, referring to his nine-year stint as a Division III coach in the 1970s and 1980s.
It seems preposterous, but Popovich might be the star of this Team USA roster. When a Chinese film crew told him that he will be the most recognized member of the team when he is in China for the World Cup next month, he naturally waved them off. But they weren't necessarily incorrect.
Without proven superstars, Team USA is probably going to have to be carried at times by a system. The Americans can't rely on the tremendous driving ability of LeBron James or world-class shot-creators such as Kevin Durant or James Harden in this cycle. The mega-stars are not here. They'll lean on a coach who believes in a style that tests players' aptitude, selflessness and sense of humor.
They will have to move the ball, because under FIBA rules, there is no illegal defense and teams just dare the U.S. to shoot. Fairly or not, there is no one on this roster that opponents will fear. Popovich's San Antonio teams have moved the ball better than anyone else over the past 20 years. But that's a process, one he now needs to rush.
EDITOR'S PICKS
"We've had guys in the past who are great isolation players, but we can't rely on that with this team," center Myles Turner said. "His emphasis is 0.5. You have half a second, shoot it, pass it and go. We're learning."
That strategy and system are going to have to be the Americans' bedrock. Popovich's ability to get the team to buy in could be the difference between a gold medal and having a black mark on his résumé.
The team does have some budding stars. Donovan Mitchell has looked like the best player on the floor at times in scrimmages this week. De'Aaron Fox, who was promoted from the Select roster, has speed and the ability to break down defenses that is likely going to earn him one of the final 12 roster spots. Popovich is working his charms on them.

"We had a run where we played very well and he came in the huddle and talked about what we did wrong," Mitchell said. "I like playing for coaches like that. He does it in his own funky way. He can be sarcastic or serious, but he gets to the point where there's something more you can be doing."
Kerr, Popovich's former player and now his lead assistant, insists all of this is going to be fun for him. That it's a new challenge and it will require him to test out some old muscles.
"The whole game is trying to put the puzzle together," Kerr said.
For now, at the start of the journey, Popovich is doing a lot of smiling. He knows few will appreciate the actual challenge he has in front of him over the next six weeks. That's a notion he already has an answer for.
"I've never been too concerned with what people might say. I've never read an article on any of our five championships yet. What good does that do?" Popovich said. "Whether it's applause or someone saying I'm an idiot or whatever, I could care less. They're both fake notions to me. There are more important things, like what kind of wine to order for dinner."

footloose

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Screen_Shot_2017-05-26_at_2.10.30_PM.jpg

2020-21-Earned-Edition-Jerseys-Graphics-Nets16x9-784x441.jpg

Niccas gone learn taday

9:50 pm.

Last edited:

Complex

Internet Superstar
BGOL Investor
They gave these teams and players no all star break

I didn't even realize they had games last night

I guess they didn't want the players in Miami long. :lol:

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Fucking shameful.....

:smh: :smh: :smh: :smh: :smh: :smh:

an EMBARRASSMENT

and I HOPE the ENTIRE league

ESPECIALLY these dudes who are so damn LOYAL to their respective organizations

REALLY STUDY THIS

Ewing broke his hand so severely playing in NY?

Experts said they have only seen a fracture like that in a CAR ACCIDENT.

Ewing gave his EVERYTHING to the Knicks

EVERYTHING

and what's crazy is when it was Oakley?

most former players sided with Dolan

well massa *ahem* Mr. Dolan never treated ME like that

Allan Houston, Starks, Larry Johnson and them BETTER open their DAMN EYES

cause they could very well be the next contestant on that summer jam screen.

Yeah Dolan and his father BUILT that house

OFF your collective backs

much like WE built the White House

but it is NOT YOUR house or YOUR league

(which I would have thought was obvious by the way they treat Black coaches and executives)

KingTaharqa

Greatest Of All Time
BGOL Investor
Warriors vs. Clips

Dubs fans have no smoke for Kawhi even though this the 2nd blowout of the year and he handed em an L in their last Final. :dunno:

I can only imagine how many posts this thread wouldve gotten tonight had Kawhi blown out the Lakers for the 2nd time this season.