Netflix: Cobra Kai , Karate Kid TV Series (Official Season 6 thread)(Finally Season!!)

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Going to check out some episodes soon. Glanced over at Mixed Martial Arts' forums (The UG - The Underground) and they've got 4 threads about the series over there. Positive reviews for sure. I'd link those discussion threads, but that site's had issues with ads & pop-ups in recent years and it's not worth the hassle when people complain about how they're formatted.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Watched the first 2 eps yesterday. Enjoyed it. Easy to get through at just under 30 mins per. Like fam’ have noted, good mix of nostalgia and social commentary, mixed in with comedy, martial arts, high school angst and revisiting characters from some 34 years ago. Spotted someone I was familiar with too. Bret Ernst as the taller car salesman at Larusso’s business. Small role for him. He’s a stand-up comic and co-host of the You’re on the List podcast alongside Pete Giovine.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
I think Will and Jada Smith produced this show, I saw their names in the credits.

I believe they bought the rights to the movie when they did the remake with Jaden, so that would make sense.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overbrook_Entertainment

Overbrook Entertainment is an American entertainment company based in Culver City, California, United States.[1] The production company was started by partners Will Smith and James Lassiter between 1997 and 1999, about the same time the production for Wild Wild West (1999) was underway.

The name "Overbrook" is derived from Will Smith's neighborhood in West Philadelphia. The company produces music, films, and television shows. Smith claimed in a TV show to have started the company in order to serve as producer and find roles. He uses his role in the company to help unknown artists record music and also records music for some of his movies in Overbrook.

doggish_098

Rising Star
Registered
Ok.. I've knocked out a few more episodes while taking care of business... this shit is legit and nostalgic af. Can't believe they pulled this off.... I went in Silky Johnson and came out Jimmy Fallon :lol:
Watched the whole thing last night I put it on for the kids and I usually occupy myself on the computer or whatever but I actually enjoyed all 10 episodes. It was well put together

superfusion

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Just finished watching the whole series and it was very good. There are so many ways the story can go with these characters. You can see Johnny is trying to change and he see's what he has turned his students into. I think if they do a second season Johnny will try to move his students from the old Cobra Kai way's.

Onpoint

Rising Star
Registered
So far so good.... 4 episodes deep. A little cheesy and acting is a bit suspect but it was in the originals as well...... I'll finish it

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Holy shit I can't believe this as actually pretty good :lol:

4 episodes in now, shocked it isn't a garbage fire lol

Gonna watch the series with pops. Explained the general themes of the Karate Kid franchise, as it's been ages since he's seen the first 2 movies. Got him to watch the trailers of the old-school movies and saw the 1st episode of Cobra Kai with him. He's on board as he knows the episodes will be easier to get through at under 30 mins each, and not an hour like other series. I've seen the first 4 eps but I'll wait and watch the series with him. Kind of fun explaining some of the callbacks and references to him ... the '80s nostalgia. We had a laugh as he mentioned back in the day when VCRs were still too expensive to buy for home use ... they could be rented at the video store. So that's what people would do for movie night when picking up a VHS rental or two (they'd rent a VCR to go with them). Have gotten him on board with what shows to watch over the years. He used to mostly be into comedies and sitcoms. I made sure that he was tuning into or recording Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul, Fargo, Atlanta, The Terror, Godless, The Walking Dead, Survivor, Ozark, etc. The stuff he doesn't have access to I just save for him on a flash drive. Also do my best to mention to him what movies are worth checking out, and which others to avoid! Gotta make sure I get the aggregate reviews from BGOL, IMDB, Metacritic & Rotten Tomatoes.

:cheers::roflmao3: