Netflix: Cobra Kai , Karate Kid TV Series (Official Season 6 thread)(Finally Season!!)

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

Welcome to the first episode of 2021 and the 101th overall of TV's Top 5, The Hollywood Reporter's TV podcast.

Every week, hosts Lesley Goldberg (West Coast TV editor) and Daniel Fienberg (chief TV critic) break down the latest TV news with context from the business and critical sides, welcome showrunners, executive and other guests and provide a critical guide of what to watch (or skip, as the case may be).
To celebrate the beginning of a new year, strap in for a jam-packed episode featuring the following five topics:

1. The most-anticipated new scripted shows coming in 2021.
Expect big swings from new streamers Peacock and HBO Max and even bigger ones from established and free-spending platforms like Apple and Netflix as the list features everything from the first show Shonda Rhimes has penned since the Scandal finale, Oscar winners and, yes, reboots and sequels.

2. Parting is such sweet sorrow.
From Better Call Saul and Superstore to Shameless and Grace and Frankie, a number of network-defining hits are poised to end their runs in the year ahead.

3. Production update.
After a year that completely upended the world, the pandemic could derail production even further as L.A. — one of central filming hubs — has become the new epicenter. One studio has already extended its holiday hiatus as SAG/AFTRA expects further filming delays in Southern California as a result of the latest COVID-19 surge. Are we headed for another shutdown?

4. Showrunner Spotlight.
Wax on, wax off! Showrunners Jon Hurwitz, Hayden Schlossberg and Josh Heald join the show this week to preview the third season of YouTube-turned-Netflix favorite Cobra Kai. The trio open up about bringing legacy characters back, their long-term plans for their Karate Kid sequel and their larger goal of expanding their so-called "Miyagi-verse." "While we don't see Cobra Kai as The Simpsons going on forever, it can have an end — look at Better Call Saul and El Camino. The deeper and richer you make the world, the more opportunities there are," Schlossberg says. "When we pitched to Netflix, the show wasn't just season three and four; we talked about all the possibilities we think there are with this franchise."

5. Critic's Corner.
As usual, every episode ends with Dan's guide to what to watch (or skip) in the week ahead. This week, he weighs in on Cobra Kai, Fox's Call Me Kat and The Great North and NBC's Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist.

Hear it all now on TV's Top 5. Be sure to subscribe to the podcast to never miss an episode. (Reviews welcome!) You can also email us with any topics or questions you'd like to be addressed in future episodes at TVsTop5@THR.com.

eagle force

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Binged season 3 on Friday afternoon. Overall, I enjoyed it though there were some issues....

I loved how the writers treated Chozen and Kumiko. That was more realistic than anything.

The whole kids brawling Karate shit is getting old though. It's a little too much, especially since none of the other parents are getting involved.

Sheeiiiit, the most realistic thing done so far in the show was the fat light skin Black girl's parents taking her out of Cobra Kai and sending her to private school after that brawl in season two.

I guess we can all see how Bruce Wayne was cured so quickly in The Dark Knight Rises. I missed the Dee Snyder cameo in that film, it must have been in the Christopher Nolan Ultimate Secret Directors Cut.

I would have rather seen Miguel either paralyzed or walking but unable to do any karate whatsoever. That would have given the writers something to work with instead of having him heal so quickly.

Sam's fear of Tory is real. She's got her ass whooped in season 2 and bitch scared her up using a claw and shit.

Was cool to see Ali (with an I) show up. Johnny and Daniel both needed to get her out of their system. She was the foundation of their rivalry, and seeing her basically put that to an end. Now, Johnny can focus on Miguel's mom who's hitter and way younger.

I liked seeing some of Kreese's background, time in Vietnam, why he signed up, how he was trained, met Terry Silver.

The cliffhanger was weak, we all know he called Terry Silver. Wondering if they bring in Mike Barnes, who was basically Daniel's own "Tory"

The whole Hawk/Demitri thing was corny. Ain't no way we ever gonna be cool if you intentionally broke my arm. FOH.

Hawk should have been the top bad. Kid has a weird thing on his lip, wet the bed and transformed himself into a karater badass.

He should have been Cobra Kai's main kid villain instead of the Asian kid that bullied him earlier.

I liked the season and binged it all in 4-5 hours but the writing did get a little loose as other have described.

Cobra Kai has one last season. No way they can continue this past season 4.

What I'd really like to see, is a prequel series called "Miyagi-Do" that stars a young Mr. Miyagi from Okinawa to serving in WWII, losing his family on the Internment camp in Manzanar, rivalry with Sato, etc....

yeah i liked kreese background and bringing terry silver back

they should go all out and end the series with a bang next season

fonzerrillii

BGOL Elite Poster
Platinum Member
I finshed Season 3 and it was good..It got really goood on the last episode!!..Season 4 is going to crazy as well..Damn good show!!..

Im late cause I got sucked way to deep into the Biden thread and the Playoffs but I watched all the episodes tonight

The Terry Silver flip in the flashback got me..... I was like oh shit they cant kill Terry and then it all made sense...

I can't fucking wait for Season 4...

Mike Barnes has to make an appearance now. Kreese needs someone Younger to help train. Plus I could see Terry doing some real gangster shit with Daniels car lot.

fonzerrillii

BGOL Elite Poster
Platinum Member

they should go all out and end the series with a bang next season

The rumor is that its been renewed for Season 4 and 5... 5 Seasons is the perfect amount.

Cause I'm not going to lie... there is a small part of me that would like Hillary Swank to make an appearance.

fonzerrillii

BGOL Elite Poster
Platinum Member
The whole Hawk/Demitri thing was corny. Ain't no way we ever gonna be cool if you intentionally broke my arm. FOH.

Not going to lie

I took Karate in 5th grade...

Broke a kids arm in 6th

and we became boys up until I graduated

and I broke his arm almost exactly Like Hawk did... Only difference is that I told dude to back off or I'll brake it..

He pushed me

and I broke it at the elbow..

That was like the last fight I was in... Nobody fucked with me after that one

RoomService

Dinner is now being served.
BGOL Investor
giphy.gif

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

Starring as veteran John Kreese in the series, Kove stated on Twitter as the official announcement:

“Tonight, myself and the entire crew of COBRA KAI S4 officially wrapped! What a season, And what a year. A crew that is fearless and shows no mercy, through Covid we pushed on, we striked first and with a cast that strikes hard! @jonhurwitz @healdrules & @haydenschlossberg101 you have more energy than I knew was humanly possible. The Captains of our cobra Kai ship, leading us to glory daily, without your leadership we would be lost in the waters”, “Thank you @netflix and @sptv for allowing us to sweep the leg day in and day out. To @ralph_macchio & @william_zabka the battle rages on! I couldn't be more humbled to work along side you both. Who put the work in day in and day out and day in and day out. And to the fans.....well....the real story has only just begun....but you know that! So get ready because COBRA KAI....NEVER...DIES!!!! -John Kreese”

fonzerrillii

BGOL Elite Poster
Platinum Member

"THE MAN"

Resident Cool Nerd
BGOL Investor

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
Don’t forget about Ali.

She pretty much made it clear her pussy is hot for Johnny and Danny.

She wants to make up for lost time.

I suspect she might not be the sweet, good girl Ali we knew from the first movie.

rs_1200x1200-210102104717-1200-elisabeth-shue.cm.122021.jpg

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

2021 marks the 73rd edition of The Emmys. Back in 2002, when the Emmys were turning 54 years old, the institution recognized stunt work for the first time with the Award for Outstanding Stunt Coordination. Along with other year end awards such as the Oscars, the Emmys have long been criticized for being slow to appreciate and honor stunt work. This year, however, the Emmys have finally added an award for Outstanding Stunt Performance.

Of the newly minted stunt performance nominees, only one has been previously nominated for an Emmy. Jahnel Curfman was also nominated in 2019 for her work as a stunt coordinator on Cobra Kai. In addition to Curfman, Julia Maggio, John Cihangir, and Marc Canonizado were also nominated for their work on Netflix’s Cobra Kai.

Disney+’s The Falcon and the Winter Soldier, which featured UFC legend Georges St. Pierre as Batroc the Leaper, is also in the mix, with stunt performers John Nania, Aaron Toney, and Justin Eaton nominated.

The Mandalorian, once home to former Strikeforce fighter Gina Carano, has one performer nominated, Lateef Crowder.

Rounding out the field are Mens-Sana Tamakloe for his work on AMC+’s Gangs of London and Janeshia Adams-Ginyard for her work on HBO’s Lovecraft Country.

Previously, the only major award honoring stunt performance was the Screen Actors Guild Award for Outstanding Performance by a Stunt Ensemble. This new award offered by the Emmys is more flexible, with either multiple or single performers eligible.

With the rise in popularity of practical effects, thanks in large part to the success of movies like John Wick, it isn’t surprising that major Hollywood institutions are finally giving stunt performers their due. No doubt this is thanks in part to the concurrent rise in popularity of MMA, and the influence MMA has had on fight choreography. Former UFC fighters Roman Mitichyan and Jason Day have spoken to Bloody Elbow about their second career fighting in front of the camera, and how their past as professional fighters influences their new work.

The 73rd Emmy Awards will be broadcast Sept. 19 on CBS. The show will return to a live format, with a “limited number of nominees and their guests.”

kdogg3270

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
It might be happening fam..

The way this show is setting shit up ...... if Terry comes back you have to bring Mike Barnes .... People talk about Johnny but Mike absolutely terrorized Daniel..

he kind of reminds me of (and resembles) Psycho T - Former Tarheel C Tyler Hansbrough

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Some additional articles re: the renewal ...