{~}Official 2023/2024 NBA Thread - 2024 Summer League, USA Hoops

Final winner

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

chemist

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Yeah I saw him make that comment. When healthy, I give the nod to AD though. Bam can be hit or miss at times.

AD was a beast in the bubble. He did have 4 months off though. Playing a lot this year & not sitting out games. If AD is AD, Bam got nothing on him but Bam got that dog in him and AD doesn't. Time for him to take over the Lakers.

Amajorfucup

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Shannon Sharpe with the dumbest take on players and relationships ever, other than the guy who posts about MJ every morning at 4am sharp.

It's actually a sound point. Image is as important as talent for that position. And a stable home environment and wife/partner is good packaging and also lessens likelihood of certain scandals. The last two guys (Zion, Jah) the league had tapped to take the throne were young, immature and single . Antman is the next in line and recently had his own semi-scandal bubble up.

When Kobe caught his charge the first thing they did was make him shave his face and walk hand in hand to every photo opt with his wife ..

When the league and Nike invested in making MJ its face they encouraged him to settle down and get married for marketing purposes.

Promotion of family values and stability is absolutely part of marketing package.

Costanza

Rising Star
Registered
It's actually a sound point. Image is as important as talent for that position. And a stable home environment and wife/partner is good packaging and also lessens likelihood of certain scandals. The last two guys (Zion, Jah) the league had tapped to take the throne were young, immature and single . Antman is the next in line and recently had his own semi-scandal bubble up.

When Kobe caught his charge the first thing they did was make him shave his face and walk hand in hand to every photo opt with his wife ..

When the league and Nike invested in making MJ its face they encouraged him to settle down and get married for marketing purposes.

Promotion of family values and stability is absolutely part of marketing package.

Correlation is not proof of causation.

The youngest president was older than any NBA face of the league… Zion is not the face of the league because of Lil Debbie and Wendy’s, Moriah has nothing to do with it. And Ja’s bullshit could have happened if he was married— As with Kobe, marriage doesn’t guarantee stability. Steph and LeBron may have benefited personally from settling down early and avoiding drama but it was a non-factor in why people tuned in.

To use a non-NBA example, a lack of stability certainly hurt Tiger Woods, who sacrificed some of his greatness for great times… But when the greats are out there being great, nobody is checking for their relationship status as they do with Tim Scott and other presidential candidates.

Amajorfucup

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Correlation is not proof of causation
Except I'm not talking correlation. I'm talking factual occurrences, process and decision making. Actual relationship standing and imagery play a part in marketing and promotion. Those metrics are taken in to account in risk assessment and public perception. MJ was absolutely encouraged to create and maintain a certain image and being married was part of it.

I'm saying Shannon's question was not only NOT stupid as you framed it to be but was actually based in fact and practice.