Picard Patrick Stewart New Star Trek Series

praetor

Rising Star
OG Investor
Despite the trailers, I've only seen negative information about the show. Whether it's Netflix wanting nothing to do with it after their displeasure with Discovery, changing showrunners, or connecting Picard to season 3 of Discovery, this series seems unlikely to bring back the Star Trek we know and love.

We shall see...

xxxbishopxxx

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Yeah now we lost two members in 2019 smh. From my understanding after Nemesis the idea was to do avengers style trek with all the 90s crews but Nemesis bombed so that idea died.
Interesting. I wonder how well that would have worked. The rumor was some of the main characters were getting tired of the series. Some of the worst aspects of Nemesis had to do with the producers trying to keep the stars happy and interested. The way some of the stories were being reported, I wonder how many of the next generation cast would have come back and how involved would they have been with the movie.

xxxbishopxxx

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Don't really understand this article, since some of the best Star Trek eps were thought pieces.

Star Trek: Picard Team Sets Up a Slower-Paced, More Thoughtful Trek Series (But 'We Do Have Battles,' Too)
By Dave Nemetz / January 21 2020, 3:00 PM PST

Courtesy of CBS All Access

RELATED STORIES

If you randomly stumbled upon the series premiere of Star Trek: Picard and didn’t know anything about the Trek universe, you might not even realize it was science fiction.
The new CBS All Access series — which brings back Patrick Stewart as Next Generation captain Jean-Luc Picard and debuts this Thursday, Jan. 23 — embraces a more deliberate pace that matches its 79-year-old star, finding Jean-Luc on his French vineyard at first as he spends time with his loyal dog Number One. That means fewer space shootouts and more quiet introspection… and that’s just how the team behind Picard intended it.
“I don’t think people look at Picard and go, ‘I can’t wait to watch that action show,'” executive producer Alex Kurtzman tells TVLine. “I think they look at Picard and they want a deep character study.” Jean-Luc does eventually get back into the thick of the action, spurred by the arrival of a desperate young girl named Dahj (Isa Briones), but “getting Picard through all the phases of what it’s going to take him to actually leave that vineyard and decide to go to the stars is not something we wanted to rush. We wanted to just let it sit and let each moment be believable and let that outcome become inevitable.”

And just because there aren’t phasers zapping every five minutes doesn’t mean Picard isn’t science fiction, as EP Akiva Goldsman notes. “[Star Trek:] Discovery, for example, is science fiction action-adventure. Picard is science fiction drama. Science fiction is a way of telling all sorts of stories, and yes, the kinds of stories we’re telling in Picard are probably more emotion-based. They’re slower, and they’re about this particular cusp of life, which is a story that is not typically told these days, certainly not in television.”
That more leisurely pace allows Picard to show us a world we’ve rarely seen on a Trek series: the planet Earth. “We’re Earth-bound for [the first] three episodes, really,” executive producer Heather Kadin reveals. “You’ll see things that are happening in space, but you’re going to primarily be on Earth.” In fact, “we see more of Earth, I think, in the first episode of this,” Stewart notes, “than we saw in the whole series of Next Generation.” As Kurtzman points out, “you haven’t really spent that much time on Earth as it exists in that timeline,” so “just to see what it looks like is really interesting.”
But don’t worry, Trekkies: There’s plenty of sci-fi action to come on Picard as well. “We do have spaceships,” EP Michael Chabon assures us. “We do have battles. We have planets and aliens and all the things that people are going to expect.”
Stay tuned to TVLine all week long for more sneak peeks at Star Trek: Picard, ahead of Thursday’s series premiere.
If you like TVLine, you'll LOVE our weekly newsletter. Click here to subscribe.

xxxbishopxxx

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Despite the trailers, I've only seen negative information about the show. Whether it's Netflix wanting nothing to do with it after their displeasure with Discovery, changing showrunners, or connecting Picard to season 3 of Discovery, this series seems unlikely to bring back the Star Trek we know and love.

We shall see...
Looks like Amazon is more than happy to take over the streaming rights:

christop

Rising Star
Registered
Interesting. I wonder how well that would have worked. The rumor was some of the main characters were getting tired of the series. Some of the worst aspects of Nemesis had to do with the producers trying to keep the stars happy and interested. The way some of the stories were being reported, I wonder how many of the next generation cast would have come back and how involved would they have been with the movie.
Yeah I remember that Brent Spiner and Patrick Stewart I believe got writing credits. They dropped the ball with that movie. I think they should have done something with Q continuing the trial on humanity that would have been dope. Also apparently they threatened to replace Marina Sirtis with 7 of 9 lol. I think if the money was right they would have returned they also picked a director that knew nothing about trek which is silly.

Its alot of stories about mistakes they made in the next generation era of movies and they honestly blow my mind. They only made one movie correctly and that was first contact smh. Leonard Nimoy was set to direct Generations a perfect choice but he wanted rewrites on the script which he was obviously right about. They refused because they had to start shooting immediately so that they could tear down all the sets and build the voyager sets. It has been talked about before but the perfect story for Generations would have been the story used for Yesterdays Enterprise when the Enterprise C came from the past and changed the future and caused a war with the Klingons.

xxxbishopxxx

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Yeah I remember that Brent Spiner and Patrick Stewart I believe got writing credits. They dropped the ball with that movie. I think they should have done something with Q continuing the trial on humanity that would have been dope. Also apparently they threatened to replace Marina Sirtis with 7 of 9 lol. I think if the money was right they would have returned they also picked a director that knew nothing about trek which is silly.

Its alot of stories about mistakes they made in the next generation era of movies and they honestly blow my mind. They only made one movie correctly and that was first contact smh. Leonard Nimoy was set to direct Generations a perfect choice but he wanted rewrites on the script which he was obviously right about. They refused because they had to start shooting immediately so that they could tear down all the sets and build the voyager sets. It has been talked about before but the perfect story for Generations would have been the story used for Yesterdays Enterprise when the Enterprise C came from the past and changed the future and caused a war with the Klingons.
I don't remember hearing about Nimoy directing. However, I remember hearing they were so pressed to pass the torch between the OG cast and the Next Generations that they had to kiss Shatner's ass to come back and pass the torch. It was rumored to be the reason why so much of the movie was centered around Kirk. You're right, Nimoy would have been a great directing choice, and yes that would have been a great plot for a movie.

As for Nemesis, I remember the director bragging about not knowing shit about Star Trek. my bigger problem was with Brent Spiner bragging about how great the script was going to be. I'm not sure how much the director changed, but it was obvious that the shooting script ignored a lot of Next Generation history. It's ironic that Nemesis was such a great looking movie with such a shitty storyline.

christop

Rising Star
Registered
I don't remember hearing about Nimoy directing. However, I remember hearing they were so pressed to pass the torch between the OG cast and the Next Generations that they had to kiss Shatner's ass to come back and pass the torch. It was rumored to be the reason why so much of the movie was centered around Kirk. You're right, Nimoy would have been a great directing choice, and yes that would have been a great plot for a movie.

As for Nemesis, I remember the director bragging about not knowing shit about Star Trek. my bigger problem was with Brent Spiner bragging about how great the script was going to be. I'm not sure how much the director changed, but it was obvious that the shooting script ignored a lot of Next Generation history. It's ironic that Nemesis was such a great looking movie with such a shitty storyline.
Yep no doubt I heard the director would call Levar Burton Laverne so disrespectful I know Levar wanted to direct Nemisis fucked up they didn't give him the chance this is not that hard smh.

praetor

Rising Star
OG Investor
Looks like Amazon is more than happy to take over the streaming rights:

Yep, I saw a video of Stewart talk about it on YouTube. However, Netflix was so eager to get Discovery that they literally funded the entire first season. Once they saw it, they didn't like it. So it's possible that the same thing could happen with Amazon.

praetor

Rising Star
OG Investor

The original script for Generations was garbage. They wanted to make Sulu a helmsman again, and have Spock just say logical/illogical 500 times with no real substance. It didn't take long for Nimoy and Takei to bounce. Having said that, I still liked Generations.

I think Star Trek, Star Wars, and DC have shown us that even with great actors and an iconic franchise, movies can still be fucked up if the wrong people are running things.

veritech

Black Votes Matter!
Platinum Member

We shall see...

Yeah. None of what u posted makes sense. Discovery did well internationally which is why it was on Netflix in the first place. And Picard has already been greenlit for season 2.

Can u post some sources?

Last edited:

christop

Rising Star
Registered
The original script for Generations was garbage. They wanted to make Sulu a helmsman again, and have Spock just say logical/illogical 500 times with no real substance. It didn't take long for Nimoy and Takei to bounce. Having said that, I still liked Generations.

I think Star Trek, Star Wars, and DC have shown us that even with great actors and an iconic franchise, movies can still be fucked up if the wrong people are running things.
Yeah I know Nimoy said litterally anyone could say the lines written for him lol and that's exactly what happened. :lol: They also had the writers for tng writing generations and the last season of tngat the same time. Paramount did a terrible job managing that situation.

praetor

Rising Star
OG Investor
Yeah. None of what u posted makes sense. Discovery did we internationally which is why it was Netflix in the first place. And Picard has already been greenlit for season 2.

Can u post some sources?

I literally don't understand. Lol.

veritech

Black Votes Matter!
Platinum Member
I can't find anything legitimate to back up that rumor. And the streaming ratings for Discovery do not support the rumor. And adding spin offs does not support the rumor.

If Discovery was so bad and Netflix not happy with it Michele Yeoh would not be getting a spin off and Picard would not have been made let alone already signed for a second season before the first one even aired at all.

Don't believe everything u see on the nets. :lol:

Last edited:

veritech

Black Votes Matter!
Platinum Member

According to Parrot Analytics, a data analytics firm who measure demand for TV shows across the globe, Star Trek: Discovery season 2 was a measurable hit. Between April 6 and May 5 - the season 2 finale, "Such Sweet Sorrow", released on April 18 - Star Trek: Discovery was the most in-demand digital original series worldwide. Further, it was the #2 science-fiction series worldwide, narrowly beaten by The 100.

veritech

Black Votes Matter!
Platinum Member

Today CBS All Access announced that the second season premiere of Star Trek: Discovery and the AFC championship game drove a record-breaking weekend for the streaming service. According to CBS, All Access added more subscribers in a single weekend than ever before, eclipsing the previous record set during the 2017 series premiere of Star Trek: Discovery by 72%. In addition, the weekend also set a new record for unique viewers.

praetor

Rising Star
OG Investor

According to Parrot Analytics, a data analytics firm who measure demand for TV shows across the globe, Star Trek: Discovery season 2 was a measurable hit. Between April 6 and May 5 - the season 2 finale, "Such Sweet Sorrow", released on April 18 - Star Trek: Discovery was the most in-demand digital original series worldwide. Further, it was the #2 science-fiction series worldwide, narrowly beaten by The 100.

Today CBS All Access announced that the second season premiere of Star Trek: Discovery and the AFC championship game drove a record-breaking weekend for the streaming service. According to CBS, All Access added more subscribers in a single weekend than ever before, eclipsing the previous record set during the 2017 series premiere of Star Trek: Discovery by 72%. In addition, the weekend also set a new record for unique viewers.

"neither CBS nor Netflix - who distribute Star Trek: Discovery internationally - reveal viewing figures for their digital shows."

"media analysis company Parrot Analytics tracks interest in TV shows using their own (rather opaque) proprietary metric of “demand impressions” tracking search, social media, and other factors. And by their measurements"

How do we know that they didn't straight up make the numbers up?

"Today CBS All Access announced that the second season premiere of Star Trek: Discovery and the AFC championship game drove a record-breaking weekend for the streaming service."

This tells us nothing. You could combine any streaming show with the AFC championship game and it would still break records. Seems pretty convenient that they didn't break it down anymore than that.

Plus, they seem to be trying to measure demand. There's a demand for it on BGOL, but how many on here are actually paying to see it?

Discovery spin offs have been announced but how much production/filming has actually taken place?

Netflix not liking it will never be able to be proven nor disproven since they'll never reveal the details of the contract, however the CBS president was happily telling everyone that Netflix covered the entire budget for season 1, but we didn't hear such an announcement for season 2, which means they didn't pay as much. There has to be a reason why if the show was incredibly successful.

veritech

Black Votes Matter!
Platinum Member
"neither CBS nor Netflix - who distribute Star Trek: Discovery internationally - reveal viewing figures for their digital shows."

"media analysis company Parrot Analytics tracks interest in TV shows using their own (rather opaque) proprietary metric of “demand impressions” tracking search, social media, and other factors. And by their measurements"

How do we know that they didn't straight up make the numbers up?

"Today CBS All Access announced that the second season premiere of Star Trek: Discovery and the AFC championship game drove a record-breaking weekend for the streaming service."

This tells us nothing. You could combine any streaming show with the AFC championship game and it would still break records. Seems pretty convenient that they didn't break it down anymore than that.

Plus, they seem to be trying to measure demand. There's a demand for it on BGOL, but how many on here are actually paying to see it?

Discovery spin offs have been announced but how much production/filming has actually taken place?

Netflix not liking it will never be able to be proven nor disproven since they'll never reveal the details of the contract, however the CBS president was happily telling everyone that Netflix covered the entire budget for season 1, but we didn't hear such an announcement for season 2, which means they didn't pay as much. There has to be a reason why if the show was incredibly successful.

i provided sources for my information.

where are your sources?

BlkStrength

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I can't find anything legitimate to back up that rumor. And the streaming ratings for Discovery do not support the rumor. And adding spin offs does not support the rumor.

If Discovery was so bad and Netflix not happy with it Michele Yeoh would not be getting a spin off and Picard would not have been made let alone already signed for a second season before the first one even aired at all.

Don't believe everything u see on the nets. :lol:
IMO, Discovery's problem, along with the problem Picard will have is being on the shitty pay CBS channel. If CBS had put their weight behind it, and put it on once a week prime time on the regular channel, I feel it would have done much better.

veritech

Black Votes Matter!
Platinum Member
IMO, Discovery's problem, along with the problem Picard will have is being on the shitty pay CBS channel. If CBS had put their weight behind it, and put it on once a week prime time on the regular channel, I feel it would have done much better.

i agree but disagree.

the show is great and SHOULD have done well on network tv. but if it had gone on network tv it could not have gone into a few areas that it went.

in addition to that for some reason sci-fi does not do well on network tv. especially if it is not campy. campy sci-fi does great on network tv. real sci-fi does not. for instance, BSG 2004 didn't make it on NBC but did well on the SyFy then Sci-Fi channel. But for some reason The Orville makes it. I hate that shit. i don't do camp.

sci-fi flourishes on streaming services which is why so much of netflix and hulu is sci-fi AND anime.

Last edited:

christop

Rising Star
Registered
I can't stand discovery.

Gemini

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Im gonna download it.

In the United States: America gets new episodes of Star Trek: Picard before anyone else. New episodes become available to stream on CBS All Access on Thursdays. All you need to do is sign up for a CBS All Access, and a new episode will be waiting for your every week. And when CBS All Access says “Thursday,” it means as soon as its Thursday everywhere in the country. New episodes go live at 3:01 a.m. ET/12:01 a.m. PT. CBS All Access subscriptions cost $5.99/month with commercials and $9.99/month without commercials. In addition to browser streaming, the CBS All Access app is available for Android devices, iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, Chromecast, Fire TV, Roku, Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and smart TVs manufactured by LG, Samsung, and Vizio. As a bonus, subscribing to CBS All Access gets you access to the complete Star Trek streaming library, from Star Trek: The Original Series to Star Trek: Discovery and Star Trek: Short Treks.

In Canada: Star Trek: Picard will air first on television. New episodes air Thursdays at 9 p.m. ET/6 p.m. P.T. If you miss the broadcast, new episodes of Star Trek: Picard will be available to stream via the Crave streaming service the following day. The service is also host to Star Trek: Discovery and Star Trek: Short Treks in Canada. A subscription costs $9.99/month.

In the rest of the world: Amazon Prime Video will be home to Star Trek: Picard in 200 international markets, including the United Kingdom, Germany, Austria, Japan, Belgium, France, India, Italy, Spain, Poland, and Brazil. New episodes will be available on Fridays, the day after they debut in the United States, though the specific time is uncertain. Prime Video is available with an annual Amazon Prime subscription, which comes with a host of other perks. The streaming service includes all previous Star Trek series save Star Trek: Discovery, which is hosted by Netflix in international markets.

Star Trek: Picard premieres on January 23rd, with new episodes debuting on following Thursdays.

praetor

Rising Star
OG Investor
i provided sources for my information.

where are your sources?

Les Moonves discusses the first season being paid for by Netflix:

CBS may not release viewer numbers but they do release subscriber numbers for CBS all access.

Discovery has a 42% audience score versus The Orville's 94%

I would bet money that Discovery didn't help Netflix meet the goals they set for the show.

If the rumors are true that Picard will tie in with season 3 of Discovery, wouldn't it make sense to have both shows on the same streaming service??? Even if Amazon through a pile of cash at them, it'd only make sense to split the shows between two services if Netflix didn't want Picard. And that would only make sense if they weren't happy with Discovery.

veritech

Black Votes Matter!
Platinum Member
Les Moonves discusses the first season being paid for by Netflix:

CBS may not release viewer numbers but they do release subscriber numbers for CBS all access.

Discovery has a 42% audience score versus The Orville's 94%

I would bet money that Discovery didn't help Netflix meet the goals they set for the show.

If the rumors are true that Picard will tie in with season 3 of Discovery, wouldn't it make sense to have both shows on the same streaming service??? Even if Amazon through a pile of cash at them, it'd only make sense to split the shows between two services if Netflix didn't want Picard. And that would only make sense if they weren't happy with Discovery.

man u can't be serious.

white people are going to white people. that is why there is a disparity in audience score. white people tend to tank the scores of shows where they are not the lead. especially white men in sci-fi. you know that. and especially on rotten tomatoes. so much so that rotten tomatoes changed how they do audience reviews.

we all knew about netflix paying for season one of disco. why would they continue to pay for such a bad deal? that was a terrible deal. lol that has nothing do with the popularity of the show. that has everything to do with being smart about business. that was a dumb deal to begin with.

don't post anymore strawmen.

i want to see the source saying that netflix is unhappy with the performance of discovery. where is that source?

praetor

Rising Star
OG Investor
man u can't be serious.

white people are going to white people. that is why there is a disparity in audience score. white people tend to tank the scores of shows where they are not the lead. especially white men in sci-fi. you know that. and especially on rotten tomatoes. so much so that rotten tomatoes changed how they do audience reviews.

we all knew about netflix paying for season one of disco. why would they continue to pay for such a bad deal? that was a terrible deal. lol that has nothing do with the popularity of the show. that has everything to do with being smart about business. that was a dumb deal to begin with.

don't post anymore strawmen.

i want to see the source saying that netflix is unhappy with the performance of discovery. where is that source?

I already stated that Netflix being unhappy can't be proven or disproven. So there will never be a source. You really expect a Netflix executive to say "hey, Discovery sucks, but please sign up for Netflix and quote me on that"

Funny, those same white guys had no problem with Voyager nor DS9. Lol. And you know it is more than just them being the lead. They hate anything that looks like a "SJW" to them.

Both shows have/had straight white male captains that are not weaklings, both shows have strong female characters, and both shows have a ton of gay shit in them. There is more than enough of a "SJW agend" as they call it in the Orville for them to absolutely hate the show. The difference is not sonequa martin-green. The difference is one show is modelled after TNG and the other is not.

veritech

Black Votes Matter!
Platinum Member
I already stated that Netflix being unhappy can't be proven or disproven. So there will never be a source. You really expect a Netflix executive to say "hey, Discovery sucks, but please sign up for Netflix and quote me on that"

Funny, those same white guys had no problem with Voyager nor DS9. Lol. And you know it is more than just them being the lead. They hate anything that looks like a "SJW" to them.

Both shows have/had straight white male captains that are not weaklings, both shows have strong female characters, and both shows have a ton of gay shit in them. There is more than enough of a "SJW agend" as they call it in the Orville for them to absolutely hate the show. The difference is not sonequa martin-green. The difference is one show is modelled after TNG and the other is not.

voyager nor ds9 were out during social media awareness. people just started using rotten tomatoes within the past 10 years.

and we are talking about the lead character. in disco the white captains are supporting characters.

and i can't do camp so the orville is off of the list. full stop.

Flawless

Flawless One
BGOL Investor
its 10am did some of you really watch it already? I'll wait until later so I can enjoy it with a beer,