RIP: John Amos, ‘Good Times’ and Emmy-nominated ‘Roots’ star, dies at 84, actor's publicist says.

Bawse Nigguh

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
EVERY GOD DAMN TIME I COME HERE I SEE A NEW R.I.P. I JUST CAME TO SEE SOME RANDOM ASS, AND I LEAVE HEART BROKEN… OUR CHILDHOOD HEROES AND PEOPLE WE LOOKED TO ENTERTAIN AND INFORM ARE GOING AWAY EN MASSE. ITS LIKE 2024 TOLD 2020 “HOLD MY BEER” ….BGOL BROTHERS AND SISTERS HOLD YOUR ELDERS CLOSE FOR AS LONG AS YOU CAN. THEY COULD BE ON THIS EARTH WITH US FOR 90+ YEARS AND STILL YOU WILL STILL MISS THEM LIKE ITS ONLY BEEN A DAY

OutlawR.O.C.

R.I.P. shanebp1978
BGOL Investor
R.I.P., :crying:

I knew it was coming when his children started beefing for control of him and his estate but it still stings the same.

Ironically I read recently he was cast in Suits:LA but I'm not sure if that was a one off, guest role that he may have already filmed.

joneblaze

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Whenever I think of strong father figures on TV John Amos is always at the top of my list. Of course I watched him in Good Times countless times but I really enjoyed his performances in Coming to America,Let’s Do It Again, and Die Hard 2 in which he portrayed a great villain and of course Roots.Thanks for the many years of entertainment Rest Well

OmariAmaru

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
The absolute best television father that my young ass ever saw. Was strong, all about his family, didn't take no crap off of no one, got knocked down but kept getting back up. Was the only father a lot of us in the crib only knew. Sure there was Uncle Phil and Cliff Huxtable, but that was a different generation and they were rich. Couldn't identify with their lifestyle. Grim Reaper needs to take a vacation. Too many back to back deaths. R.I.P. to James Evans aka Kunta Kinte aka Maj. Grant bka John Amos. You shall be deeply missed.

Last edited:

PeerlessMack

Been here longer than you think!
Platinum Member
Damn! Damn! Damn!

In case y'all forgot, John Amos was killed off on Good Times because he went to the producers and wanted the show to have more a positive image for black families. He spoke against the stereotype and it cost him his job.

A true legend.

RIP

TEN

Tensei - Admin
Staff member
I remember the very moment John Amos became an actor I put in the all-rounder class
Obviously I knew he could do serious, but funny? (didn't watch goodtimes here) I found out
in the 'coming to america' movie, specifically this scene here: when john said "I feel like breakdancing"
I lost it and that scene has stayed with me forever as a quoteable when discussing that classic movie,
as well as his tripping up the steps to answer the door, lol. Rest in Peace John Amos, thank you for truly
entertaining us for decades.

Rest-In-Peace.gif

Multi - Personality

Rising Star
Registered
Damn! Damn! Damn!

In case y'all forgot, John Amos was killed off on Good Times because he went to the producers and wanted the show to have more a positive image for black families. He spoke against the stereotype and it cost him his job.

A true legend.

RIP
Check this out....

I was watching an old show called Maude and Florida was on there as a housekeeper and John was a firefighter that finally got a raise to move into another state to get a house.

When they finally get their own show, he's basically unemployed.

That's that bullshit ...

respiration

/ˌrespəˈrāSH(ə)n/
BGOL Patreon Investor
James Evans played by John Amos was the most important character on Good Times. He was the center that held it all together and really was the primary comic-relief too. James was a mentally and physically strong, responsible Black man who was deeply respected by his wife, his children and all who came into contact with him. His character was not emasculated into a buffoon by white supremacist writers in exchange for him being the leader of his family. There was no woman that he was trading insults with stereotypically like in so many other shows with all-Black casts. Florida Evans (Esther Rolle) was his love and his helpmate, his support.

The Evans family represented a huge demographic of American Black folks. We rocked with them, celebrated with them, hoped with them and related to their struggles. I feel like this was probably the most important "black" show on television.

John Amos held it all together. He (along with Esther Rolle) fought hard behind the scenes against having the show represent a white mockery of us, and paid the price of them firing him and killing off his character. This was because he realized the importance of representation. Good Times was the first American show featuring a Black nuclear family- a huge responsibility. His exit from Good Times robbed the show of its heart. There would have been no Cliff Huxtable or Phillip Banks without their first being a James Evans Sr.

In my opinion, there was no better father on TV. He was the blueprint. I knew this one was coming eventually, but knowing did not cushion the impact of this sad news.

Rest in the presence of the Almighty, Baba John and thank you for your invaluable contributions to Black and American cultures.