Taraji P. Henson breaks out crying mid interview when discussing her financial situation

jackson35

Rising Star
Registered
you mean where she is put into projects with a lists stars like brad pitt and kevin costner and expect to walk away with 1 mill? hell zoe salanda makes 11 mill per picture and she is not as big as taraji. its clear it is a managment issue and not race or gender

34real

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
You spend months filming and then there's no guarantee it's not coming out,you're promoting and being seen and heard from cause if you chill for too long people tend to forget about you.You have to have on the right clothes,say the right things or it can go bad.

Hollyweird is a hard and I couldn't do it.....Now I see why a lot of the older actors don't do or say much,just hire em and let them be.

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
Why do y’all keep brining up money management? And comparing her to some white cac actress that has advantages she can’t come close to receiving.

She talking about working more and getting paid less.

It’s not money management.

It’s negotiating that contract which all these actors work under. They ain’t hourly/salaried workers.

Like I stated earlier a lot of actors are broke. It’s all due to that contract negotiation.

Eddie Murphy left SNL and went Hollywood. His people negotiated that multi picture deal with Paramount which set him up for life with the money he made. A number of actors followed his lead back then.

Ted Danson renegotiated his contract with NBC for Cheers getting a million dollars per episode, actors after him followed.

Tom Hanks got that script for “Forrest Gump” and did the math realizing that script was a Lottery ticket and negotiated that contract getting a percentage of the gross and made out like a Fat Cat.

William Shatner got that gig for Priceline.com doing those corny commercials, instead of getting a check, his peoples negotiated that contract where he got a percentage of gross on what Priceline.com made and he made a killing.

Margo Robbie recently did it with “Barbie”.

A lot of actors have not figured the game out and get screwed.

You taking a gamble doing that, but like I stated earlier in the thread, you gotta hustle.

These Hollyweird studios ain’t no different than working at Walmart or McDonald’s.

Their business plan is “If We Can Figure Out A Way Not To Pay You…We Gonna Exploit That Opportunity 100%”.

crossovernegro

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I'd say she is a legit star, but not an A lister. That's not a dig or anything, cause I like her (looks, talent ....and sex tape). She's a B+ lister now. A few years back she was maybe right on the edge of A- lister.
Like, Angela Bassett, Halle....just talking black actresses...those are A listers. Zendaya....A lister, but she needs to put work in to stay there.

Is she really tho'?

Don't get me wrong, she had some exceptional roles where she has acted her ass off, but I don't consider her as having the same range as some other actors and actresses in the game.
Yes, there is bias in the contract negotiation process with these scummy studio execs, but why is she representing herself and not having her agent be the lead?
I hope she gets all she deserves, but I just want to point out a few things.

Non-StopJFK2TAB

Rising Star
Platinum Member
I'd say she is a legit star, but not an A lister. That's not a dig or anything, cause I like her (looks, talent ....and sex tape). She's a B+ lister now. A few years back she was maybe right on the edge of A- lister.
Like, Angela Bassett, Halle....just talking black actresses...those are A listers. Zendaya....A lister, but she needs to put work in to stay there.

To put in the work, you have to get offered the work. Or generate your work.

If you’re crying about being underpaid, you may not be management material.

Non-StopJFK2TAB

Rising Star
Platinum Member
You spend months filming and then there's no guarantee it's not coming out,you're promoting and being seen and heard from cause if you chill for too long people tend to forget about you.You have to have on the right clothes,say the right things or it can go bad.

Hollyweird is a hard and I couldn't do it.....Now I see why a lot of the older actors don't do or say much,just hire em and let them be.
There are plenty of old, racist disgruntled actors. Mothafuckas that did middling tv in the late 80s and 90s are always ready to talk about the old days.

When you listen to a guy like Marc Maron, you can’t ignore the fact that he’s benefited because of his religion and gender. There is no apparatus to build up a Henson or Haddish. The infrastructure just isn’t there. Nor should it. Hollywood is an industry given to Jews to gatekeep Negro talent.

crossovernegro

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Oh I was talking about Zendaya with the putting in the work to stay A list. Pretty sure she's getting offers due to her looks, age and recent popularity. Just have not seen her in as much as I would have thought post-euphoria....but covid may have slowed shit down for that little bit of time.
Taraji has age working against her as far as roles go.

To put in the work, you have to get offered the work. Or generate your work.

If you’re crying about being underpaid, you may not be management material.

keone

WORLD WAR K aka Sensei ALMONDZ
International Member
To touch on something addressing her team. SHe said that her team was doing bad by her and she let them go. But I've heard too many Black actresses that are quality actresses say that they don't get even a half of what white actresses will get that would be their equivalent.

but people were mad that monique used her husband
also where was she when mo was talking
@Amajorfucup

Dirtylakerie

Rising Star
Platinum Member
All tape jokes aside...

It is messed up, also that looking back, is she not getting royalties, I can see Empire isn't on reruns, maybe not that type of show. But for all her other flicks, she or her team didn't negotiate for royalties?

But I do see how black actresses don't get equal pay unless you're at the moment the "it" girl. Like how Tiffany Haddish blew up.

She probably has to do all levels of acting as in any types of budgets to stay relevant. Even commercials. I hope she's not the type to feel she's above roles or things are beneath her. Producers will frown upon that I'd think
Yeah if she's hurting for money. She need to get her nick cage on. That mothafucka was hustling. Well he had more motivation, because Uncle Sam was on his ass about his taxes.

Amajorfucup

Rising Star
Platinum Member
but people were mad that monique used her husband
also where was she when mo was talking
@Amajorfucup
Not sure her and Taraji get along. Monique slighted her during her public feud with Daniels and Oprah.. Taraji was star on a show produced by both and Monique openly claimed Taraji only got the role because she was blackballed.

Moniques two claims were Daniels and Winfrey blackballed her and Netflix low balled her. Not sure what Taraji was expected to do for her in either case.. particularly the first.

jawnswoop

It's A Philly Thing
BGOL Investor
Monique said the same shit but everybody was roasting her and calling her a liar and and bunch of other shit. I noticed a lot of dudes on BGOL went against Monique thinking she was the problem when she wasn't and being underpaid and blackballed. But it's great that Ms Henson is speaking about this shit because it's been going on for decades. A actor should be able to live great from their acting and get royalties from those movies and shows they did over the years. It's sad that she's going through this shit because she was a good actress to watch on TV. But then again them CACs in Hollywood don't give a fuck about paying black actors what they deserve.

Mixd

Duppy Maker
BGOL Investor
Yeah if she's hurting for money. She need to get her nick cage on. That mothafucka was hustling. Well he had more motivation, because Uncle Sam was on his ass about his taxes.
Still, sites says she's worth between $16-25m

Shes in the new Color Purple coming out Christmas. Think Oprah produced it.

She's not hurting but think she's just saying it's unfair she can't stop working and maybe royalties money or even offers don't come in commanding the same as white actresses.

Truth is also, she is kinda typecast.
I think it was her years ago in some role as some badd chick like a Shaft role and didn't feel it fit her. Movie was just "OK" with her.

EDIT: name of the flick was Proud Mary, was meh

Last edited:

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
I forgot about Hidden Figures.
Then looked at her IMDB, she put in work on quite a few damn good movies and roles.

It's just foul that black actors/actresses don't command more. Industry is just racist. Is why I'm no fan of Tyler Perry but I give him madd respect for paving the way for many and doing his own thing.

^^^^

All this

keone

International Member
Not sure her and Taraji get along. Monique slighted her during her public feud with Daniels and Oprah.. Taraji was star on a show produced by both and Monique openly claimed Taraji only got the role because she was blackballed.

Moniques two claims were Daniels and Winfrey blackballed her and Netflix low balled her. Not sure what Taraji was expected to do for her in either case.. particularly the first.
i forgot about that u right
but mo also said lot of black actresses were talking to her behind the scenes
but didnt back her up in public
and i am talking about netlix shit about pay
cause that lee and oprah was a separate case

julian

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I mean let’s keep it a buck has she ever been the headliner of a movie to make $100m or $50m hell $25m. U don’t get big bucks if u can’t open a movie or kick box office ass overseas. She ain’t it,and I like her somewhat but she’s not getting millions up front plus backend money when you can’t draw box office. Now the tv shows shes done should have made her a multimillionaire IF she invested her money properly.

julian

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Taraji needs to sit down and talk with Margot and learn something.

There’s times to be militant, but there are times to be humble and learn.

‘Barbie’s’ Big Payday: Margot Robbie Will Earn $50 Million in Salary and Box Office Bonuses (EXCLUSIVE)​

Barbie2.jpg
and when they do Barbie2 she will make that $50m up front plus backend,she will make $100-$200 mil on a sequel cause this 1st one made well over a $billion

jawnswoop

It's A Philly Thing
BGOL Investor
I mean let’s keep it a buck has she ever been the headliner of a movie to make $100m or $50m hell $25m. U don’t get big bucks if u can’t open a movie or kick box office ass overseas. She ain’t it,and I like her somewhat but she’s not getting millions up front plus backend money when you can’t draw box office. Now the tv shows shes done should have made her a multimillionaire IF she invested her money properly.
The actors that getting those huge blockbuster movies be male black actors and some well known black actresses with the majority and rest of them are white actors and actresses making huge money from those blockbuster movies.

julian

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
The actors that getting those huge blockbuster movies be male black actors and some well known black actresses with the majority and rest of them are white actors and actresses making huge money from those blockbuster movies.
If you got it u got it,Martin Lawrence,Will Smith,Halle Berry were all lower level tv stars or C-level actress But they all had it and when they did movies they made serious money and now all 3 of them get top $. If Taraji had the it factor she would bring millions of people to the movies she in and she would get the exposure,credit,roles and money. She hasn’t done it and honestly won’t do it.

keone

International Member
even the cac women are crying she aint getting shit even if she does that

jawnswoop

It's A Philly Thing
BGOL Investor
If you got it u got it,Martin Lawrence,Will Smith,Halle Berry were all lower level tv stars or C-level actress But they all had it and when they did movies they made serious money and now all 3 of them get top $. If Taraji had the it factor she would bring millions of people to the movies she in and she would get the exposure,credit,roles and money. She hasn’t done it and honestly won’t do it.
Maybe because of the demand they want from her and she won't cross the line. So, you never know what they want her to do in those movies or shows which she has to agree on them first. But the lack of opportunities for black actors are bad which is why some of them sold their soul to get to the top.

Last edited: