Taraji P. Henson breaks out crying mid interview when discussing her financial situation

Mixd

Duppy Maker
BGOL Investor
I mean let’s keep it a buck has she ever been the headliner of a movie to make $100m or $50m hell $25m. U don’t get big bucks if u can’t open a movie or kick box office ass overseas. She ain’t it,and I like her somewhat but she’s not getting millions up front plus backend money when you can’t draw box office. Now the tv shows shes done should have made her a multimillionaire IF she invested her money properly.
Movie I mentioned above that was bad was Proud Mary, she was the lead, made $21m gross.

Hidden Figures, budget was $25m went on to gross $235m and she was 1/3rd of the lead cast.

Acrimony, grossed $46m

Just naming a few, but they haven't been that many leading roles, but she's had many roles from early 2000's. She's done a lot and agreed, investing what she made over time would of been wise, but like many, from back then, they don't have people or advisors around them to think about retirement and having savings later on, I'd assume.

Dirtylakerie

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Whats that? Getting white male hollywood buddies to bankroll and overpay her for a bunch of shit movies that nobody sees? :lol:

What fantasy island do you niggas live on where this is a possibility for Black actors.. let alone a female one?
:lol:I understand, but there's multiple black streaming outlets. With different types of programming available though.

Don Coreleone

Rising Star
Registered
It’s not money management.

It’s negotiating that contract which all these actors work under. They ain’t hourly/salaried workers.

Like I stated earlier a lot of actors are broke. It’s all due to that contract negotiation.

Eddie Murphy left SNL and went Hollywood. His people negotiated that multi picture deal with Paramount which set him up for life with the money he made. A number of actors followed his lead back then.

Ted Danson renegotiated his contract with NBC for Cheers getting a million dollars per episode, actors after him followed.

Tom Hanks got that script for “Forrest Gump” and did the math realizing that script was a Lottery ticket and negotiated that contract getting a percentage of the gross and made out like a Fat Cat.

William Shatner got that gig for Priceline.com doing those corny commercials, instead of getting a check, his peoples negotiated that contract where he got a percentage of gross on what Priceline.com made and he made a killing.

Margo Robbie recently did it with “Barbie”.

A lot of actors have not figured the game out and get screwed.

You taking a gamble doing that, but like I stated earlier in the thread, you gotta hustle.

These Hollyweird studios ain’t no different than working at Walmart or McDonald’s.

Their business plan is “If We Can Figure Out A Way Not To Pay You…We Gonna Exploit That Opportunity 100%”.
That ain't just Hollywood that's America. This country was built off of cheap labor.

Dirtylakerie

Rising Star
Platinum Member
You them low budget tubi movies. :lol:
Yeah. I think tubi is going to blow up. They already have some original programming. And quite a few original movies under their belt.

Besides here all the other streaming sites or apps, that deal with black programming.

All black
Kweli tv
Black on purpose television network
Polaris(Vizio tv exclusive )
Blackoaktv

Maybe she and other black stars can negotiate a higher payday. To star on one of these streaming app shows.

Flawless

Flawless One
BGOL Investor
She didn't say she was broke, she is saying she is underpaid

Henson previously voiced frustration for making $150,000 for her Benjamin Button role when she asked for $500,000. “I asked for half a million. That’s it, and they gave me [$150,000],” Henson said in 2019, according to Variety. “Does that make sense? I’m number three on the call sheet. Does that make sense to you? All I was asking was $500,000 – that’s all we were asking for.”

She also added how she was paid “the lowest of six figures” while her co-leads Pitt and Cate Blanchett (who played Daisy) “got millions.”

Dirtylakerie

Rising Star
Platinum Member

Henson previously voiced frustration for making $150,000 for her Benjamin Button role when she asked for $500,000. “I asked for half a million. That’s it, and they gave me [$150,000],” Henson said in 2019, according to Variety. “Does that make sense? I’m number three on the call sheet. Does that make sense to you? All I was asking was $500,000 – that’s all we were asking for.”

She also added how she was paid “the lowest of six figures” while her co-leads Pitt and Cate Blanchett (who played Daisy) “got millions.”
:smh: Damn! I forgot about this.

Tom Slick

The Black HHH
BGOL Investor
She's not an A-lister. She's a working actor. Her biggest role was ghetto fabulous and should put her squarely on the chitlin musical theater circuit.

Instead of boohooing over white Hollywood not giving her money, she should be using her little bit of fame with other Black creatives to produce quality content and keep themselves working forever.

Her legal expenses have to be through the roof after the sex tape, because think about how quickly people get banned for even posting screenshots from that bathtub scene.

joneblaze

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Everyone has to get their cut the same way we get taxed for everything before we even see our paychecks. Plus Hollywood studios always measures if you are filling seats at the theatre and if people are watching your TV shows. Take all that into consideration and your pockets are definitely thinner.

Retarded_1

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
308215849cd6d422dfb12d674025686d497e0976.png

She starred in Hidden Figures..
That wasn't a good paying gig?

TheFuser

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

And out of that $150k, Uncle Sam wants like 60k, manager gets 22.5k (15%), agent gets 15k (10%), lawyers gets 7.5k (5%). She's left with 45k for months of shooting. Plus a lot of actors either can't or aren't allowed (contractually) to work on multiple projects at a time. 45k ain't shit in LA.

Supersav

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Shes from SE. Started at Ballou... finished at Oxon Hill.

Low IQ niggas interpret an emotional woman calling out racial disparities as "begging".. :smh: Sitting on his fucking couch, using white mans twitter and internet yelling out "start yo own!!"... :lol:

This is kinda making her point.

Non-StopJFK2TAB

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Investing 100k a year in safe investments for 20 years of her career and she’s not having this conversation.
She was an educator before becoming an actress.

She hasn’t worked for 20 years and she didn’t command $100k per film either.

Ask a rapper how much he has spent trying to appear successful compared to how much he has made.

Non-StopJFK2TAB

Rising Star
Platinum Member
And out of that $150k, Uncle Sam wants like 60k, manager gets 22.5k (15%), agent gets 15k (10%), lawyers gets 7.5k (5%). She's left with 45k for months of shooting. Plus a lot of actors either can't or aren't allowed (contractually) to work on multiple projects at a time. 45k ain't shit in LA.
No one lives in LA. Not many films are filmed in LA. I don’t think people film in New York either.

keone

WORLD WAR K aka Sensei ALMONDZ
International Member
Movie I mentioned above that was bad was Proud Mary, she was the lead, made $21m gross.

Hidden Figures, budget was $25m went on to gross $235m and she was 1/3rd of the lead cast.

Acrimony, grossed $46m

Just naming a few, but they haven't been that many leading roles, but she's had many roles from early 2000's. She's done a lot and agreed, investing what she made over time would of been wise, but like many, from back then, they don't have people or advisors around them to think about retirement and having savings later on, I'd assume.
Funny thing is octavia spencer keeps getting Booked for movies.

Non-StopJFK2TAB

Rising Star
Platinum Member
The actors that getting those huge blockbuster movies be male black actors and some well known black actresses with the majority and rest of them are white actors and actresses making huge money from those blockbuster movies.
Did Chadwick die rich? Think of all the male black actors that died this year. Did they die “rich”?

How did Paul Robeson die?

RoomService

Dinner is now being served.
BGOL Investor
She was an educator before becoming an actress.

She hasn’t worked for 20 years and she didn’t command $100k per film either.

Ask a rapper how much he has spent trying to appear successful compared to how much he has made.
Baby Boy came out in 2001 so that's 20 years in the game. You don't think she made over 5 million acting from 2001 to 2022? Hell just invest 15,000 a year.

Amajorfucup

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Funny thing is octavia spencer keeps getting Booked for movies.
And she too has complained about being grossly underpaid and cheated. Shes mentioned how one project she worked on where LeBron James had to go and demand she be paid fairly and how she benefited from that moving forward.
Baby Boy came out in 2001 so that's 20 years in the game. You don't think she made over 5 million acting from 2001 to 2022? Hell just invest 15,000 a year.
Not sure if you guys are purposely missing the point or just stupid. This isnt about money management.. its about structural racism and race based pay discrimination.

Supersav

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
And she too has complained about being grossly underpaid and cheated. Shes mentioned how one project she worked on where LeBron James had to go and demand she be paid fairly and how she benefited from that moving forward.

Not sure if you guys are purposely missing the point or just stupid. This isnt about money management.. its about structural racism and race based pay discrimination.
I must of missed her support of Monique

Supersav

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
You must have missed my post addressing this too.

More importantly.. her so-called support of Monique has nothing to do with her overall point.
It has alot to do with it. She is crying for support and calling out racial disparities that have been around since Hollywood began. What is her goal? Where are Oprah and Tyler homo at to help her out? He has his own studio