Taraji P. Henson breaks out crying mid interview when discussing her financial situation

keone

WORLD WAR K aka Sensei ALMONDZ
International Member
Let's be clear. Women like Taraji, especially at the height of their career, have a laundry list of options. I remember the football player, etc. The fact is she was attractive (still is but older attractive) and could have shown up at any medical convention and hooked up with a surgeon. Now we're not talking millionaires but the fact is brothas who make $300K-$500K could have provided her with a nice, normal, zip code for her and given her the option to have more children and not worry about bills. She went the other route. If she wanted a brain surgeon she could have had one a long time ago.
that is not the point tho
even is she had a billonaire she is getting screwed

moblack

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
That is the point. No matter what career you in being in being a independent woman will literally cripple you. Look at all the sisters you know who are educated independent women. They all scream I got a house , a career, etc but inside they dying. They want a husband that comes home and do family things. Its human nature and when that shit ain't balanced they be sick.

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
That is the point. No matter what career you in being in being a independent woman will literally cripple you. Look at all the sisters you know who are educated independent women. They all scream I got a house , a career, etc but inside they dying. They want a husband that comes home and do family things. Its human nature and when that shit ain't balanced they be sick.
stop with the bullshit narrative thats basically hate and trying to control black women.. :rolleyes2: :rolleyes2: :rolleyes2: :rolleyes2:

keone

International Member
bro she is talking about pay and yall talking about her being married with some rich guy
end of the day she is still getting screwed by a racist industry

jackson35

Rising Star
Registered
What were the numbers of the last movie she headlined? The problem is a lot of her roles are in the "And One" league and not the NBA. Take from that what you will.
Taraji is not being straight with us. she is not handling her business straight, she got booked to do that movie with brad Pitt, and she did not have a team to assit her with booking a hotel or do make up on anything else. she just signed with caa three years ago. Micheal Ovitz is the most powerful man in Hollywood, if Mr. Ovitz can't arrange for her to get the money she wants then she should walk away from acting.

donwuan

The Legend
BGOL Investor
What were the numbers of the last movie she headlined? The problem is a lot of her roles are in the "And One" league and not the NBA. Take from that what you will.

The movie with Brad Pitt was a hit and she got paid 2% of his pay. You not really following and just saying shit homie.

tpotda

Rising Star
Registered
so what about will?

Will Smith at a certain point was #1 over Tom Cruise but he just didn't have as much longevity in that top spot as Cruise has ha. Wil Smith is still in the top tier tho, Bad Boys for life did well and thats why Netflix has still been paying him big upfront payments on their projects in the same scale as The Rock, Ryan Reynolds, DiCaprio, Gosling, Chris Hemsworth. Only ones to get bigger money from Netflix than that tier has been Adam Sandler and Daniel Craig

Non-StopJFK2TAB

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Will Smith at a certain point was #1 over Tom Cruise but he just didn't have as much longevity in that top spot as Cruise has ha. Wil Smith is still in the top tier tho, Bad Boys for life did well and thats why Netflix has still been paying him big upfront payments on their projects in the same scale as The Rock, Ryan Reynolds, DiCaprio, Gosling, Chris Hemsworth. Only ones to get bigger money from Netflix than that tier has been Adam Sandler and Daniel Craig
There’s a difference between an actor and a producer. Tommy bought United Artists Studio. There are levels to this game. We don’t know the thinking of Will Smith. But we can say that a guy getting paid to hang out in Dubai is not the owning studio type.

LordSinister

One Punch Mayne
Super Moderator
The movie with Brad Pitt was a hit and she got paid 2% of his pay. You not really following and just saying shit homie.
Benjamin Buttons? In 2008? That's a reach bro, and she wasn't the lead. The last big movie she was the lead in was Hidden Figures which pulled in 230 million in 2016. I'm saying is she's not white mainstream. Octavia Spencer is more decorated than she is bro. It's fucking Hollywood. She's a star in our community, but not as much so outside of it.

tpotda

Rising Star
Registered
Benjamin Buttons? In 2008? That's a reach bro, and she wasn't the lead. The last big movie she was the lead in was Hidden Figures which pulled in 230 million in 2016. I'm saying is she's not white mainstream. Octavia Spencer is more decorated than she is bro. It's fucking Hollywood. She's a star in our community, but not as much so outside of it.

Proud Mary was when she got her shot to show that she could be bankable as the #1 on the call sheet and it flopped. Had it done well her trajectory would've been different. Yes, there's some ppl that get opportunities to flop multiple times due to Nepotism and what not but unfortunately for her she's not someone that was gonna get multiple shots like that

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
If thats the case then upfront about it....people need to stop with this if you work hard and play fair blah blah when the other side isnt playing by the same rules.

jackson35

Rising Star
Registered
you do realize that if your working with a brad Pitt or tom cruise, you're not making the same money, a lot of actress rep was pissed taraji got the role because she is not a draw

Darkness's

" Jackie Reinhart is a lady.."
Registered
In situations like this I always have to ask, what's the spending like? Is it like one of those situations where folks making 200K a year say they're struggling because they bought a 10 million dollar house with 100K property taxes with two bentleys, a maid, private schools, etc.. or is she just not making any money?
There's another factory. They prolly spending money supporting family. 2pac only had 47,000 dollars when he died because he was supporting people. I guess Jay z must've been on tonsokething when he said he doesn't support family if he doesn't believe in their dreams or something like that. If he did he'd prolly be broke too.

Lower9Nupe

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
If she had a billionaire the ONLY thing she'd be talking about would pertain to casting, opportunities. SHE brought up the financial component as well as the NEED to continue to work. The point is she's whining about money. The fact that she's underpaid puts her in the category of every single person in this country. That's the point.

Life choices. Options. She had them. She chose her career path. She chose to sacrifice on thing for the other. Now like every person who finds themselves knocking on 50-60 she can see exactly WHERE she is financially and it's clear its not, based on her assertions, where she would like it to be.....Bottom line. If she wanted a normal dude making top 3% money she'd have one. Where's the lie in that?

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
Like pointed out earlier, this bird has been in the game for over 20 years.

She has had plenty of opportunities to move into other jobs in Hollyweird as a producer/director/writer and other gigs.

Majority of folks don’t bother reading the credits on these movies/TV shows, but majority of the people you see listed are former actors.

They sit all day on these sets bored as Fuck waiting to do their scene and they start interacting with the crew and find out them mofos are getting paid good and always working.

Eddie Murphy “Coming To America” with Louie Anderson’s character working in the fast food joint, folks just focus on the joke, but there was a message in it.

keone

International Member
If she had a billionaire the ONLY thing she'd be talking about would pertain to casting, opportunities. SHE brought up the financial component as well as the NEED to continue to work. The point is she's whining about money. The fact that she's underpaid puts her in the category of every single person in this country. That's the point.

Life choices. Options. She had them. She chose her career path. She chose to sacrifice on thing for the other. Now like every person who finds themselves knocking on 50-60 she can see exactly WHERE she is financially and it's clear its not, based on her assertions, where she would like it to be.....Bottom line. If she wanted a normal dude making top 3% money she'd have one. Where's the lie in that?
again that doesnt mean industry is racist and is under paying black people specially black women
all that other stuff yall bring up is not relevant
hell i even said she should have done more and should had a production company or something
but the point is they get under paid
if even viola davis is complaining then u know its real

Lower9Nupe

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
again that doesnt mean industry is racist and is under paying black people specially black women
hell i even said she should have done more and should had a production company or something

the industry, like the world is both racist and sexist. It isn't hard to miss her assertion that BW, especially BW are low-balled collectively. Her point focusing on how she hits a reset button when it comes to negotiating her roles didn't fall of deaf ears. That encompasses most if not all the Black actresses in Hollywood.

My assertion looks beyond her comments. It's a big deal because that way of life, the time invested in pursuing her goals and dreams clearly hasn't yielded the fruit she had hoped. Anyone who sees/hears the angst in her eyes and voice and thinks she ISN'T giving us a hint about where she is financially a she gets older isn't really listening. Combine that with her more recent assertions about her personal life and you can tell that both are intertwined. Having a happy personal life tends to take most of sting away from professional shortfalls.

My point was to simply point out the obvious and that's that a woman in her position, who looks likes she does, with so much to offer didn't exactly escape the weakness those who fewer opportunities and less to offer tend to exhibit. As I said, if she wanted a brain surgeon she would have had a brain surgeon and that financial security, especially at her age, goes a long way in coping with professional and economic pitfalls. Take Eve as an example. She has zero pressure, as a Black actress, to hustle the way Henson hustles. Not that they're in the same league of course but we know WHY Eve doesn't have to hustle. Right? She did the math.

Just giving an opinion. No need to debate this. Everyone sees and agrees with her assertion.

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

the industry, like the world is both racist and sexist. It isn't hard to miss her assertion that BW, especially BW are low-balled collectively. Her point focusing on how she hits a reset button when it comes to negotiating her roles didn't fall of deaf ears. That encompasses most if not all the Black actresses in Hollywood.

My assertion looks beyond her comments. It's a big deal because that way of life, the time invested in pursuing her goals and dreams clearly hasn't yielded the fruit she had hoped. Anyone who sees/hears the angst in her eyes and voice and thinks she ISN'T giving us a hint about where she is financially a she gets older isn't really listening. Combine that with her more recent assertions about her personal life and you can tell that both are intertwined. Having a happy personal life tends to take most of sting away from professional shortfalls.

My point was to simply point out the obvious and that's that a woman in her position, who looks likes she does, with so much to offer didn't exactly escape the weakness those who fewer opportunities and less to offer tend to exhibit. As I said, if she wanted a brain surgeon she would have had a brain surgeon and that financial security, especially at her age, goes a long way in coping with professional and economic pitfalls. Take Eve as an example. She has zero pressure, as a Black actress, to hustle the way Henson hustles. Not that they're in the same league of course but we know WHY Eve doesn't have to hustle. Right? She did the math.

Just giving an opinion. No need to debate this. Everyone sees and agrees with her assertion.
Dude you wrote a lot to really say nothing

doe moe

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Taraji is staring in the Color Purple remake.

Does this mean Oprah is not paying these Sister a decent salary?

Taraji has all these leading and support roles under her belt.

Has the Sister Hood of Failure actually failed her AGAIN?

Lower9Nupe

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

I stand corrected. Whether it's true or not (I'm going to assume it is), Henson has a net worth of $12MM. The vibe about money could simply be because of their effort/disparity. Peace

veritech

Black Votes Matter!
Platinum Member
on topic:

being an actor, singer, instrumentalist, athlete, etc is front line worker status in those industries.

what front line workers do better than the people that hire them in any industry?

better get behind that camera, in that office or behind that pen if you want to have longevity.

veritech

Black Votes Matter!
Platinum Member
off topic:

even one of the finest black women in entertainment, diahann carroll told black women that strong independent shit is not it before she passed.

get a man.

tpotda

Rising Star
Registered
I stand corrected. Whether it's true or not (I'm going to assume it is), Henson has a net worth of $12MM. The vibe about money could simply be because of their effort/disparity. Peace

Those celebrity net worth sites just make up random numbers so that number means nothing, we have no idea what her net worth is especially since she doesn't own any large shares of a public corp or private equity which are the ppl you can get a better estimate on