Taraji P. Henson breaks out crying mid interview when discussing her financial situation

Lattimore

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
The issue is she said they wanted to pay her $100k. She was the 3rd actor on the call sheet for Ben Buttons. She fought to get $150k she said.

These mofos mentality is put "a" black actress in that role. So she would of said no, they would of got anyone to fit the role on her same level. And that's probably the same situation for many.
Ben Buttons isn't a great example to use when discussing TPH's career and pay disparity. This was a Brad Pitt vehicle.

Brad Pitt was responsible for 95% of tickets sold for that box office. The other main characters playing off of Pitt

were responsible for the other 5%. Given the target audience for that movie and it's supporting cast, TPH might have

been a draw for 10 people, and all of those were family.

I think she's deserves more for her talent but I'm not using Ben Buttons to justify my feelings regarding her pay.

jackson35

Rising Star
Registered
This is an under appreciated comment and it is 100% accurate whether we're talking film or music.

The box office don't care if you can act or sing it cares what you sell. Are you driving people to the theater

to spend their money on you at the box office? Period.

If you're selling seats you have negotiating power, if you're not Jesus could be your agent and Moses your manager

it won't matter. I'm not saying there isn't a pay disparity and i'm not saying she hasn't been in classics that have

made money. For a certain type of film (those targeted towards black audiences) she might be able to say to producers

"give me back-end or I won't do the picture," but she's gotta be willing to pass on 250k-500k a few times to train the

decision makers that she means business and that her brand is worth the back-end she's requesting

(this is management & agents role together).

Let's be 100% honest about Taraji... she brings a certain skill level (acting etc) that not many others posses

"for a certain type of role." Hidden Figures made $235 million world wide and $169 million domestically,

on a $25 million dollar budget (per my goto box office mojo).

This is a perfect example of a film Taraji should've received back-end on. Period.

Take the shit guarantee (maybe 150k) and demand the backend after studio recoups. If the producers

are spending $25 million they're attaching an actress that is going to lock this movie. This was a missed opportunity

but she likely got paid close to a million for the role if not a million and that ain't easy money to pass on; depending

on whatever's happening in your life at that time.

In all of Taraji's biggest box office successes she has been a part of an ensemble cast (important piece but not

essential). Taraji should be upset but she's in that rare and difficult spot between bankable ensemble cast

member and box office driver. She's not bankable by herself but she IS a strong hedge. How she's compensated

depends on what vehicle she's being asked to participate in and what her toolkit does for the vehicle, and that math

changes every second. I feel for her... and I understand why she's frustrated. I also see she's only had 1 really solid

opportunity to completely G- off (Hidden Figures), imo. At that moment she was positioned to take advantage of a big

enough budget, strong enough vehicle and hedge her bet.
kevin costner, jim parsons and kirsten dunst took her money, hell once she saw the three of them on the project she should have have know her money will not be 1 million

Lattimore

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
kevin costner, jim parsons and kirsten dunst took her money, hell once she saw the three of them on the project she should have have know her money will not be 1 million

This is a good point but in this case I would 100% side with her and argue that she should've been treated better than

both Dunst & Parsons.

Adding up those players and factoring salaries, i'd be interested to know what the John Glenn character was paid

(Glenn Powell). If he was paid anything close to what TPH got criminal charges need to be filed.

I stand by my initial assessment, Hidden Figures represented a great opportunity for a back-end situation.

Now I'm wondering if Kevin Costner had a back-end... also curious what his quote is/was... what he got

paid for the movie? Fucked up situation and I feel her.

Mixd

Duppy Maker
BGOL Investor
Ben Buttons isn't a great example to use when discussing TPH's career and pay disparity. This was a Brad Pitt vehicle.

Brad Pitt was responsible for 95% of tickets sold for that box office. The other main characters playing off of Pitt

were responsible for the other 5%. Given the target audience for that movie and it's supporting cast, TPH might have

been a draw for 10 people, and all of those were family.

I think she's deserves more for her talent but I'm not using Ben Buttons to justify my feelings regarding her pay.
Youre agreeing at the point I'm making.

I'm saying she probably took the money cause whoever the role was to fill was a black actress and this is what they're paying. It didn't matter who it was. If she didn't want the pay, they probably weren't wanting "the" Taraji. They just probably wanted a black female in that role taking $100k.

Last edited:

donwuan

The Legend
BGOL Investor
GB5ry4IXsAAkNhz

moblack

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Fam!!! I'm beefing with my niece about this now. She's in college but wants to drop out to be an influencer. Would be different if she had a million followers and had brand deals on deck she couldn't get to because of school. But she has a tiny ass following and doesn't post consistently. Like wtf.
You have to post consistency. I know one fishing youtuber who started his channel in college. Channel grew so big when he finally graduated he had a choice to make. He never got a real job he put his all into youtube. Now he travels the country with a travel trailer fishing. Got a girlfirned and dog and living life. Dude put in the work but like you said these folks don't want to.

jasonblacc

Rising Star
Registered
Another thing is I blame black hollywood as well. Its like they cant get it together. There are too many stars that dont get along or want to be the only one making money. Or are working with selective people. Look at Adam Sandler he making all his bum friends millionairs.
With Tyler having is own lot/studio in Atlanta. Fif doing the same in Shreveport. I hope they can create there own economy with in Hollywood.

jackson35

Rising Star
Registered
This is a good point but in this case I would 100% side with her and argue that she should've been treated better than

both Dunst & Parsons.

Adding up those players and factoring salaries, i'd be interested to know what the John Glenn character was paid

(Glenn Powell). If he was paid anything close to what TPH got criminal charges need to be filed.

I stand by my initial assessment, Hidden Figures represented a great opportunity for a back-end situation.

Now I'm wondering if Kevin Costner had a back-end... also curious what his quote is/was... what he got

paid for the movie? Fucked up situation and I feel her.
Kevin got 7 million, Kirsten got 5 million, and since jim gets 1 million per esp on tv i say he got 4 million. taraji needs the same agents that got women like Dianne Carrol her own show in the 60's and in the movies and on Broadway. she needs agents with track records like the one repping zoe salanda who het 11 million per movie and she is not as big as taraji

Tdot_firestarta

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Never saw the video but I heard the audio earlier this week....man I felt for her....I could feel the weariness, pain and exhaustion in her voice.

And that comes from age.. when you're young and hustling knowing that you ain't getting paid what you're worth but you shake it off because you know you will make up for it with hustle and drive, so it's all good...But when it's 20 years later and you still have to be doing that shit with: older bones, less energy, and more responsibilites.. it wears on you, that shit becomes exhausting and the burden becomes extra heavy.... Especially if you're community focused and want to change things for the next generation but you see them going through the same shit. You realize you didn't have any real impact and its disempowering.

That's that shit she was feeling in that moment in the interview...it was palpable...hate when sistas feel like they have no support

Last edited:

Lattimore

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Kevin got 7 million, Kirsten got 5 million, and since jim gets 1 million per esp on tv i say he got 4 million. taraji needs the same agents that got women like Dianne Carrol her own show in the 60's and in the movies and on Broadway. she needs agents with track records like the one repping zoe salanda who het 11 million per movie and she is not as big as taraji

Disappointing to learn who much Kristen got... that's criminal.

Zoe Saldana and Taraji won't make the same money with the same agents... it just doesn't work like that.

jackson35

Rising Star
Registered
are u kidding? i was shock as i was talking to my assocoDisappointing to learn who much Kristen got... that's criminal.
Zoe Saldana and Taraji won't make the same money with the same agents... it just doesn't work like that.

Disappointing to learn who much Kristen got... that's criminal.

i was shock as i was talking to my associates, how many white actress are in the 20 million club. benny medina represent a few women who make that money

Last Dayz

Soul Thief
Certified Pussy Poster
What is this shit...brah

That's the disgusting pig honkie that's been bangin Black Actresses like Taraji and Halle for 30 plus years in exchange for work/roles.

Goingmark40

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
dam you can feel the pain in her voice . my heart goes out to taraji. just from that interview can detail a lot of harsh realities of hollywood and just being a actor/actress in general...... this train don't stop. a lot of their careers have a shelf life on them just like a football player. i'd hope she can transition to some older more mature roles to keep her pockets in good shape

keone

WORLD WAR K aka Sensei ALMONDZ
International Member
I don't understand why people bugging out on T.

This is NOT NEW AT ALL

I know. It was just something I noticed.
I said earlier even viola Davis complained and she bigger than them. Hell u can add Angela Basset to the list too. I even made a comment when somebody made the thread that she was the highest paid or something
That it was bs cause cacs getting a lot more.