Truck Driving...is it worth it??

conspiracy_brotha

Woke as fuck
BGOL Investor
My brother retired from UPS. He lived in California and drove triple box trailers for UPS. He said he loved it and they paid him 6 figures plus pension to retire early. He drove for them a little over 20 years.
Was he a Feeder? Those jobs are so hard to come by because people never leave those accounts because its so easy and laid back lol.

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
I made a post yesterday showing what I fueled this past Sunday.

I hit the road yesterday to SLC, UT for delivery. I drove about 417 miles. I was just under 3/4 tank when I arrived.

I got my next load with a pickup in SLC headed to Reno, NV which was just over 500 miles.

Our SLC terminal has a fuel island, so I topped off just over 60 gallons.

I headed out this morning for delivery, after delivery tonight, I got my new fuel solution to fill up in Reno, NV at the TA.

My next load is a pickup in Reno and taking it to San Bernardino, CA. That’s about 525 miles.

So, I topped off tonight and got 84 gallons at $5.49/gal. I don’t need DEF (Diesel Exhaust Fluid), but they were charging $4.25/gal. My DEF tank I think holds about 25 gal. A full tank can last about a week and a half. We have DEF at our terminals where I normally get it.

This is my 2nd fill up for the week. After delivery in South Cali, they will route me out of Cali. My company doesn’t want us fueling in Cali cuz of the high price. I should be just below 1/2 tank in South Cali. They will most likely have me top off either in Arizona or Nevada depending on which way I go. That will most likely happen sometime Friday.

With what I’m spending on each fill up, I would not be surprised if I’m pumping a weeks pay for some of you cats reading this.

These semi’s is one of the reasons you paying high prices for products. Everything you buy came delivered by a truck. These companies are offsetting the cost to the consumer….which is you.

ttolJ69.jpg

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
Ok, a few hours ago I made it to our Utah terminal where I got my 3rd fill up for the week.

I was at 1/4 tank when I made it to the terminal where we have a fuel island.

As you can see in the below picture, I pumped 140 gal. of diesel.

So since Sunday when I first filled up, I pumped 340 gallons of diesel.

My company buys fuel wholesale, so their cost is way lower than what’s charged at the truck stops.

I saw Utah truck stops selling diesel at $4.99/gal.

So doing the math, I pumped $699 dollars at Utah price.

My total cost for diesel fuel this week was around $1,921.00

In mileage since Sunday’s fill up. I ran just over 2000 miles.

I also filled up at my terminal DEF. I was at 1/2 tank, so i probably put in around 11 gallons. Our DEF pump doesn’t have a meter on it. DEF at truck stops are averaging around $4/gal and change.

So for you cats curious on owning a truck, do the math on how much you need to be pulling in weekly.

You also will have other costs, I have been posting in this thread information on running a truck and posted informative videos from owner operators explaining in detail the cost of owning their own rig.

You also gotta factor in if you got the house, wife and kids back home and the expense of them.

There’s plenty of money out there, to make it you gotta be motivated, have good business sense and know how to hustle and grind.

You may have heard O/O’s grossing over $250/k to $300/k a year or more, yes you can, but you need to figure out how much of that money is going back into the truck. Lots of O/O today are taking home between $50k to $80, some pulling in more.

And if you speak to any O/O, they will tell you they work 25/8/366. You ain’t making no money if that truck is sitting in your driveway.

bYoqalB.jpg

Aww Skeet Skeet!

The antithesis of nonsense.
BGOL Investor
John Oliver touched on this.

Some highlights.

• Driver retention is the issue. >100% turnover.
  • Drivers are independent contractors - they're responsible for maintenance, gas, you name it. (11:25). Lady made 150k gross but ended with 22k net... fuel costs were 100k (got damn).
  • They get paid by the mile. But not when they're loading/unloading which can take hours. Imagine not getting paid for 3-19+ hours...waiting at the ports
  • Some get stuck with predatory lease-to-own truck agreements. At the end of the day, they can owe the trucking company on payday...(17:05)

Studio718

Rising Star
Platinum Member
I did 5 years with a sprinter van, before I went to MTA.
But I was lucky to be friends with 4 owners of freight companies and was making between 2500 - 4000 a week doing hot shots out of JFK/EWR

Was charging $2 - 4 per mile to companies like world net, seko worldwide, etc etc.

I used to make more than tractor trailers didn't have to stop at weigh stations, no DOT rules etc etc..it was good since I was single and didn't have a care in the world.

Then my daughter was born and I needed health insurance since she has asthma so I gave it all up and went to drive trains for MTA...

Funny thing is the test was posted here on BGOL and I took the test just to take the test.

Some days I be missing the road and the freedom but my daughter has A1 health insurance now.

I still have a driver who runs the sprinter van and 24ft straight job but honestly I let him do whatever he wants.

Would I do it again...hells yeah!
A few of my boys have their own rigs and pull for forward air.

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
When You Sleep In A Semi, But The Area Is Suspicious

If I’m parked somewhere with potential of a break-in, I use the seatbelt trick like he does with the door.

The air horn is something new to me, will give that a try.

BDR

BeatDownRecs
BGOL Investor
Honestly right now that Walmart OTR gig they paying $95-$100k is the way to go… you won’t be responsible for maintenance, fuel or insurance… That’s all cash in your pocket and you just going from distribution center to regional Walmarts and beyond….

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
Honestly right now that Walmart OTR gig they paying $95-$100k is the way to go… you won’t be responsible for maintenance, fuel or insurance… That’s all cash in your pocket and you just going from distribution center to regional Walmarts and beyond….

Dont get yourself excited about what Walmart is doing.

Remember….it’s Walmart, so you know there is gonna be some very, very, very small print somewhere they ain’t gonna tell you….until after you quit your current job and sign on with them.

Them greedy bastards didn’t just randomly come up with that salary increase without a catch.

Similiar to how mega fleet company Schneider suckered mofos by waving a $12,000 sign on bonus about 6 years ago.

Reactions: BDR

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
There’s Money out there…

Just be careful, it’s Walmart, so you know there is some “Fine Print”.

Walmart to offer new truck drivers $95K-$110K a year to combat shortage

Tens of thousands of drivers are needed to solve supply-chain woes.

By Rob Wile
April 7, 2022, 5:02 PM EDT

Facing a nationwide shortage of truck drivers, Walmart announced Thursday that it is increasing the salary truckers can earn in their first year to as much as $110,000.

"The average salary for a long haul driver is $56,491 a year," Walmart said in an infographic it released with the announcement. "Walmart's starting wage can nearly double that."

The American Trucking Associations said in October that there is a shortage of 80,000 drivers in the U.S., prompting calls for higher pay on the part of carriers. Some trucking companies have responded by offering sign-on bonuses.

Walmart's raise puts it on par with another supply-chain giant, the food distributor Sysco, which now also advertises that its drivers could earn as much as $110,000 a year.

"Drivers are in high demand today — a fact exacerbated by COVID," the ATA said in a March 25 release. "To attract and retain drivers, fleets must increase pay, which is now happening at extraordinary levels.

"We’re witnessing unprecedented pay increases across the industry, with weekly driver earnings surging at a rate more than 5x their historical average — up more than 25% for long-haul, truckload drivers since the beginning of 2019," the trucking association said, adding that some fleets are serving up five-figure sign-on bonuses and benefits as they compete for a limited pool of drivers.

Walmart also announced the launch of a truck driver development program. Already, the company said, the 12-week program has allowed existing Walmart supply-chain workers in Texas and Delaware to earn a commercial driver’s license and become full-fledged private fleet Walmart truckers.

220407-utah-walmart-truck-2016-ac-417p-b1802a.jpg

A Walmart truck departs the company's distribution center in Washington, Utah.

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
I found out some information about Walmart Truck Driving.

Some I already knew, but I also discovered some new information.

- Walmart Trucks are a private fleet within the company. To keep the Teamsters Union from coming in, Walmart intentionally pays their drivers well above the industry average and well above what Teamsters contracts are. It’s also why they spoil and pamper their drivers unlike their store employees.

- Walmart expects perfection from their drivers. Perfect Attitude, Professionalism and Motivation. You perform the way their store employees perform of “I’m Just Here For A Check, Fuck Walmart”…you won’t be employed with them for very long.

- The new pay package presented is determined on your quarterly bonus’ and yearly evaluations which is based on your performance on the job. It also includes the company’s profit sharing bonus which varies every year.

- As a full time driver, you are only required to work a minimum of 5.5 days a week. At that rate you will receive the minimum pay. To get the maximum, you need to stay out on the road.

- You must have a five year squeaky clean driving record.

- Second, the hiring process is nothing short of grueling and takes several weeks until a final decision is made.

- The hiring process is a three-step procedure.

- First, your interview consists of being grilled by a board of hand picked Walmart drivers.

- If you make it past them, your next interview is with people from their transportation department.

- If you get their stamp of approval, your next interview is with a team of Walmart management personnel.

- Once that's complete, and assuming you have received a seal of approval from each of the previous three interviews, individuals from each panel sit down and have a final discussion on whether you're Walmart driver material.

- Then, and only then, will you have the privilege of donning one of Walmart's recognizable white and blue shirts.

- When starting out with Walmart, you operate under Slip Seat rules. That means the truck you are assigned to, when you return to your home terminal to reset your clock, you take out all your personal items out of the truck for the next driver to use. So when you return back to work, you won’t be getting the same truck. It takes a number of years depending on where your home terminal is before you gain enough seniority to get your very own truck.

So basically….all that above counts me out from applying.

Fuck Walmart.

HaHa!!! :cool:

TRUFICTION

SINCE 1998
BGOL Investor
I was a truck driver , I still have a class A . I know what its like . Its cool if you like driving and being on the road but Keep in mind you get paid by the mile , depends on what company that you work for and if you rent your truck from them and so on . Truck rental from that company could cost 500 a week plus the insurance could be the same or more . . You get the right job you can make a ton of money . The real money is in hauling sand (fracking sand ) or anything in the oil business . These videos talking about 1000 a week , hell you can make 20k a month hauling that sand and I mean much more than that too . I know of one company that paid you everytime you moved your truck , you could make over a grand in a day , take a load of sand 30 miles away maybe 400 bucks , come back and take another load 400 bucks . come back take another load another 400 . The oil companies dont give a damn how much you make as long as you are there .
...And even those frac sand days are all but Over ..... I know this is an old thread but Thats why I sold my trucks and got out.
IN Fact if you know anyone who wants to buy a Blower i have one left.

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
Since May 1st, I have covered from San Diego, CA to Spokane, WA to SLC, UT and back to Southern California.

Came across 3 billboards since then from trucking companies boosting their pay to near 100k or more.

It’s obvious Walmart has made a impact on these other companies if they now are boosting their pay packages this high so quickly.

My company has boosted our pay 3 times since January 1st. We got a fleet message for us to do a survey due the end of this week online dealing with pay and benefits. They will review the survey and plan on another change in pay/benefits before the end of summer.

Interesting how these companies all of a sudden got all this money.

Let’s you know all the excuse they been saying on pay and benefits over the past 30 plus years that they can’t afford it was all BS.

HotNixon36

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I found out some information about Walmart Truck Driving.

Some I already knew, but I also discovered some new information.

- Walmart Trucks are a private fleet within the company. To keep the Teamsters Union from coming in, Walmart intentionally pays their drivers well above the industry average and well above what Teamsters contracts are. It’s also why they spoil and pamper their drivers unlike their store employees.

- Walmart expects perfection from their drivers. Perfect Attitude, Professionalism and Motivation. You perform the way their store employees perform of “I’m Just Here For A Check, Fuck Walmart”…you won’t be employed with them for very long.

- The new pay package presented is determined on your quarterly bonus’ and yearly evaluations which is based on your performance on the job. It also includes the company’s profit sharing bonus which varies every year.

- As a full time driver, you are only required to work a minimum of 5.5 days a week. At that rate you will receive the minimum pay. To get the maximum, you need to stay out on the road.

- You must have a five year squeaky clean driving record.

- Second, the hiring process is nothing short of grueling and takes several weeks until a final decision is made.

- The hiring process is a three-step procedure.

- First, your interview consists of being grilled by a board of hand picked Walmart drivers.

- If you make it past them, your next interview is with people from their transportation department.

- If you get their stamp of approval, your next interview is with a team of Walmart management personnel.

- Once that's complete, and assuming you have received a seal of approval from each of the previous three interviews, individuals from each panel sit down and have a final discussion on whether you're Walmart driver material.

- Then, and only then, will you have the privilege of donning one of Walmart's recognizable white and blue shirts.

- When starting out with Walmart, you operate under Slip Seat rules. That means the truck you are assigned to, when you return to your home terminal to reset your clock, you take out all your personal items out of the truck for the next driver to use. So when you return back to work, you won’t be getting the same truck. It takes a number of years depending on where your home terminal is before you gain enough seniority to get your very own truck.

So basically….all that above counts me out from applying.

Fuck Walmart.

HaHa!!! :cool:

Definitely passing this along.

qzirlhg2cnx81.gif

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
The below picture is a perfect example of why I don’t own a truck. This is happening to me right now and that is my truck in the picture.

In the picture you can clearly see the right side landing gear did not retract.

When you own a truck, you gotta crawl your ass under there and fix it yourself. It’s sunny at 90 degrees where I am at in Utah right now. So if I owned this truck, no big deal.

Now imagine crawling your ass under there at night, in the snow/rain or freezing temperatures dealing with this type of shit.

Being I am a company driver and this is their truck/trailer. My company has a maintenance department who I contact and they will send out one of our mechanics or pay a 3rd party mechanic to come out.

As simple a job like this that probably will only take about 15 minutes to fix, can run you between $300 to $1000 believe it or not if you call a mechanic to come out to location.

A 3rd party mechanic will charge the time to get to your location. Then their hourly rate and parts if any are needed. They make their money mainly from travel.
bQOyHHy.jpg

And trust me….you don’t want to know how much a wrecker cost.

And it ain’t covered under AAA.

Bubbas-Heavy-Duty-Towing-Truck-Repair-24-1024x563.jpg

Mixd

Duppy Maker
BGOL Investor
@blackbull1970 have you seen in your travels, shortages of DEF?
There's this dude on TikTok showing stations on the east coast that were out of it in areas and said it will get worse over the next few weeks.

Then another post spoke on that 15w40 diesel engine oil has some additive that only two companies make and they will be out of it after the next 4-8 weeks. If you don't get an oil change now, or stock up, will be over a year before they are able to start producing it again.

Saying all truckers/farmers should stock up on the oil, dude is saying he is buying 16 barrels.

Last edited:

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
@blackbull1970 have you seen in your travels, shortages of DEF?
There's this dude on TikTok showing stations on the east coast that were out of it in areas and said it will get worse over the next few weeks.

Then another post spoke on that 15w40 diesel engine oil has some additive that only two companies make and they will be out of it after the next 4-8 weeks. If you don't get an oil change now, or stock up, will be over a year before they are able to start producing it again.

Saying all truckers/farmers should stock up on the oil, dude is saying he is buying 16 barrels.

I haven’t seen a shortage of DEF at truck stops.

At some of my companies terminal’s we have fuel islands/DEF. If we run out it’s due to delivery.

There is a shortage of HAZ MAT drivers operating these tankers.

tanktruck-new.jpg

Shortage of drivers, shortage of product getting from point A to point B.

There is no shortage of Oil and Petroleum products.

There is no shortage of tampons, baby formula, chicken or ketchup.

The shortage is partially due to manpower cuz Americans have woken up and realized it ain’t worth their time working these low pay, crappy work condition jobs with no pensions or benefits.

You ever notice you never see long lines at the pump?

Mixd

Duppy Maker
BGOL Investor
I haven’t seen a shortage of DEF at truck stops.

At some of my companies terminal’s we have fuel islands/DEF. If we run out it’s due to delivery.

There is a shortage of HAZ MAT drivers operating these tankers.

tanktruck-new.jpg

Shortage of drivers, shortage of product getting from point A to point B.

There is no shortage of Oil and Petroleum products.

There is no shortage of tampons, baby formula, chicken or ketchup.

The shortage is partially due to manpower cuz Americans have woken up and realized it ain’t worth their time working these low pay, crappy work condition jobs with no pensions or benefits.

You ever notice you never see long lines at the pump?
Feel you but there's other factors that are coming into play.

DEF you probably already know comprises of mainly Urea, and America buys it mainly from Russia and India. India says its going to stop exporting it so its been trickling down here and they may be at some point where they will run out. On Reddit many have said they can't and can find it. So it's sporadic I suppose. But just giving a heads up, peep this.

BDR

BeatDownRecs
BGOL Investor
Def is not an issue for truck driver owner operators who got truck models 2009 and older… That would be the way to go honestly

BDR

BeatDownRecs
BGOL Investor
Truckers Struggle To Find Place To Sleep

Yo real talk why can’t they just get off the highway and find a shopping center parking lot to sleep? Honestly it’s time management when they see they have about and hour left before they have to park and sleep to reset their clocks it’s enough time on the route to find the nearest target or Walmart shopping center and just hit their parking lot and rest up for the night…

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
Feel you but there's other factors that are coming into play.

DEF you probably already know comprises of mainly Urea, and America buys it mainly from Russia and India. India says its going to stop exporting it so its been trickling down here and they may be at some point where they will run out. On Reddit many have said they can't and can find it. So it's sporadic I suppose. But just giving a heads up, peep this.

And why does the US buy the ingredients from these countries and not produce it itself?

The answer is simple.

Labor, Regulations and Cost.

This country does not want to pay Americans a Living Wage so it’s citizens can have a decent quality of life.

This country has strict regulations on how these corporations can manufacturer their product which increase the cost.

So the corporation’s only option is move operations over to these shit hole countries that have cheap labor and no environmental regulations….or just cut a check and let the other country deal with the details.

There is more than enough livestock in this country to produce the Urea it needs.

BDR

BeatDownRecs
BGOL Investor
I wouldn't go that far but they generally tend to be miserable lol.
My cousin is a OTR owner operator.. He been doing it for a while now and he works 2 weeks on 2 weeks off but he has a dedicated run from NY to LA I don’t know if his load is specialized but he gets $20k each way and he grabs 2 partials on his way there and back netting him 10k extra each way so that’s a total of $50k total each way grossing him $100k and of course you take out fuel costs and maintenance but that’s not bad… Dude happy as fuck lmaoo