Truck Driving...is it worth it??

Mixd

Duppy Maker
BGOL Investor
And why does the US buy the ingredients from these countries and not produce it itself?

The answer is simple.

Labor, Regulations and Cost.

This country does not want to pay Americans a Living Wage so it’s citizens can have a decent quality of life.

This country has strict regulations on how these corporations can manufacturer their product which increase the cost.

So the corporation’s only option is move operations over to these shit hole countries that have cheap labor and no environmental regulations….or just cut a check and let the other country deal with the details.

There is more than enough livestock in this country to produce the Urea it needs.
That's the answer for majority of goods we use.

Still ain't solving the current crisis coming.

The proverbial shit about to hit the fan.

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
If you gonna get into trucking it’s best to not have a girlfriend or wife because that job takes away a lot of your time.

If your wife is licensed and drives with you, and your kids are grown or old enough to be on their own in the house, then you are doing team driving and double your gross/net cuz the truck is running 24/7.

Or, if you and your wife work as a team where you are doing the driving and she is handling the administration stuff (paperwork, load broker, taxes, expenses, etc) at home.

Then it all works perfectly.

You got a girlfriend who only is thinking about herself and not you. It definitely ain’t gonna work out.

Entrepronegro

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
If your wife is licensed and drives with you, and your kids are grown or old enough to be on their own in the house, then you are doing team driving and double your gross/net cuz the truck is running 24/7.

Or, if you and your wife work as a team where you are doing the driving and she is handling the administration stuff (paperwork, load broker, taxes, expenses, etc) at home.

Then it all works perfectly.

You got a girlfriend who only is thinking about herself and not you. It definitely ain’t gonna work out.
I’m speaking from if your girlfriend or wife was just a housewife then it’s not gonna work cause you won’t see each other much. I have a buddy who is married and he drives a truck and he barely sees his wife cause he’s always on the road.

But like you said if your woman is working with you it could work but that usually isn’t the case with truckers and wives.

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
I’m speaking from if your girlfriend or wife was just a housewife then it’s not gonna work cause you won’t see each other much. I have a buddy who is married and he drives a truck and he barely sees his wife cause he’s always on the road.

But like you said if your woman is working with you it could work but that usually isn’t the case with truckers and wives.

Lot of cats are like that. It’s why the profession is not for everyone.

No different than being a commercial airline pilot, oil rig worker, military, firefighter or any profession that will keep you away from home for extended periods of time.

If you new in OTR driving, it’s a hassle with family. But as time moves on, morre experience behind the wheel, the cushy positions with big money will come allowing you to be home more.

I met a Black owner operator in Texas working a contract with one of those oil companies down there. Dude had a sweet deal.

He only worked 6 months out of the year. He only worked from February to July on the road. Being his kids were young, they were in school majority of those months so it wasn’t like they missed him.

He got home during late summer and got a local job at a warehouse. Not making real money with it. He was home all thru the holidays and didn’t hit the road until February to do it again. He said with the driving and warehouse worker gig, he was netting around $150k/year. That type of income in Texas you living and eating good. And his wife was stay at home and did her part.

The whole deal is the man and woman gotta work together, not as individuals to make it work.

A to Dah K

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
My cousin is a OTR owner operator.. He been doing it for a while now and he works 2 weeks on 2 weeks off but he has a dedicated run from NY to LA I don’t know if his load is specialized but he gets $20k each way and he grabs 2 partials on his way there and back netting him 10k extra each way so that’s a total of $50k total each way grossing him $100k and of course you take out fuel costs and maintenance but that’s not bad… Dude happy as fuck lmaoo
Isn't that 30k each way?

BDR

BeatDownRecs
BGOL Investor
60k for a roundtrip? What does your cousin haul? Oversized? No way in hell he's pulling that doing simple dry van.
He said aircraft engines and other speciality equipment.. he’s really getting it bro.. he delivery too and from the same spot.. he adds in partials on his way there and back that’s why it totals out to 30k each way.. He said he hauls oversized boats for private owners too anywhere in the US..

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
70,000 O/O Will Be Out Of A Job In California - AB5 Law Update

This is important information if you thinking of owning your own rig.

If this becomes standard in California, it definitely will be copied across the US in other states.

California Trucking Association says AB5 would ‘upend’ industry

The California Trucking Association called the solicitor general’s brief regarding its lawsuit against Assembly Bill 5 “head-scratchingly wrong” and said that if the law is allowed to go into effect “surely will upend the operation of the trucking industry.”

Information on California AB5

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
Drove over the Rocky Mountains In Colorado earlier today on Interstate 70.

These are marker signs they have on Vail Summit and the tunnels. These are the two mountains you gotta climb to get to Denver, CO. Going east you hit Vail first then the tunnels.

The air is thin as Fuck at this elevation. Got a little lightheaded while walking up to the signs and walking back to truck.

I was heavy, close to max with 44,000lbs of canned goods headed to the Safeway DC in Denver. Had to take those mountains slow and in low gear.

US-6 is the original route taking you over Loveland Pass which is south of the tunnels. The elevation there is just under 12,000ft. I drove it once hauling a FEDEX HAZMAT placarded load from Denver to Seattle a number of years ago.

Imagine going over these routes in the winter with snow and ice chained up.

That’s driving! :cool:

0FvUGc5.jpg

gw4664c.jpg

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
Freight Recession Coming To Trucking Companies

Freight is real slow right now.

The industry is not expecting a turnaround until early next year.

Right now, there are more trucks than Freight.

I’m rolling pretty good cuz of the seniority I have with my company. The cats at the bottom are hurting.

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
Trucking industry undergoing 'bust' cycle in post-Covid economy, says FreightWaves' Craig Fuller

Craig Fuller, Freightwaves founder and CEO, joins ‘The Exchange’ to discuss freight rejections hitting all time lows, challenges in the goods economy contributing to broader economic weakness, and navigating uncertainty from the SVB fallout.

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
I was supposed to head back on Saturday. I got with my dispatcher Friday afternoon before she went home cuz I had not received a load.

She said there was basically nothing out there for now. My only option was to deadhead (drive with an empty trailer) to our south California terminal and standby in case something came up. I don’t get paid for driving down there or sitting there. I’m high on seniority so if it’s bad for me, imagine the guys on the bottom/new hires.

And it’s not just my company, it’s industry wide.

Just decided to stay home without pay until Monday morning.

This broad in the video I started following her last year. She is pretty good on information on the industry and gives heads up when shit goes high and low months before it happens. She keeps shit simple and straight when explaining.

Good channel to follow.

Trucking Made Successful

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
I know thru-out the thread that people think driving local and being able to go home every night is better than OTR (Over The Road) like what I do.

I have pointed out a few times in this thread, that if driving local is better than OTR, why is everyone not doing it.

Like all jobs/professions, there are pros and cons.

The below video gives some good examples of the pros/cons.

Truck Driver Quits After 2 Days Of Local Trucking
And Thousands Of Truck Drivers Hate On Him

Mylansky

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Have you tried intermodal? It's rarely been slow for me but I do mostly local.
I was supposed to head back on Saturday. I got with my dispatcher Friday afternoon before she went home cuz I had not received a load.

She said there was basically nothing out there for now. My only option was to deadhead (drive with an empty trailer) to our south California terminal and standby in case something came up. I don’t get paid for driving down there or sitting there. I’m high on seniority so if it’s bad for me, imagine the guys on the bottom/new hires.

And it’s not just my company, it’s industry wide.

Just decided to stay home without pay until Monday morning.

This broad in the video I started following her last year. She is pretty good on information on the industry and gives heads up when shit goes high and low months before it happens. She keeps shit simple and straight when explaining.

Good channel to follow.

Trucking Made Successful

DC_Dude

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
My uncle was a truck driver for damn 50 years I believe.....I will always have respect for truckers.....

Dude has been to every state 100X probably....I remember him calling my moms and saying yeah I am riding through Washington State or heading through Texas.....

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
Have you tried intermodal? It's rarely been slow for me but I do mostly local.

Depends on where you located.

I’m in Vegas so majority of those containers are coming in thru Ports of LA/Long Beach.

They are having labor disputes along with the slow freight.

I drove past a JB Hunt yard last week, where Santa Fe/Union Pacific have their terminals on the 710 in Commerce, CA and the yards were empty with chassis’s stacked up.

I been with my company for 10 years, so I have seniority. We got cats on the bottom of the totem pole sitting at home or at truck stops for a day or two waiting on a load. Cuz of my seniority, I’m rolling putting in a good 2000 - 2500 loaded miles a week.

I leave to another company right now, I’m at the bottom. Seniority pays.

And I ain’t getting my own truck. I don’t have the patience or motivation for that to be profitable.

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
Yeah.

And folks are going to see it on the shelves or when they go online and it says “Out of Stock”.

Which is gonna add to this economy going down.

Famous1

Rising Star
Platinum Member
I know thru-out the thread that people think driving local and being able to go home every night is better than OTR (Over The Road) like what I do.

I have pointed out a few times in this thread, that if driving local is better than OTR, why is everyone not doing it.

Like all jobs/professions, there are pros and cons.

The below video gives some good examples of the pros/cons.

Truck Driver Quits After 2 Days Of Local Trucking
And Thousands Of Truck Drivers Hate On Him

Bruh..that's food service. Damn that.... don't categorize all "local" as food service.

TRUFICTION

SINCE 1998
BGOL Investor
Trucking is nothing like it once was ....
Now you have to work twice as hard for half the money and too much reguulation
Sadly the regulation is necessary due to these microwave truck schools and thirsty lawyers.
Its arecipe for disaster.
I sold all mine and got out. Fuck Trucking !

A to Dah K

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Trucking is nothing like it once was ....
Now you have to work twice as hard for half the money and too much reguulation
Sadly the regulation is necessary due to these microwave truck schools and thirsty lawyers.
Its arecipe for disaster.
I sold all mine and got out. Fuck Trucking !
What do you do now?

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
Bruh..that's food service. Damn that.... don't categorize all "local" as food service.

Other local runs in a semi can work you too doing general freight like with companies like Estes, R&L, Old Dominion, FEDEX and small local companies.

Anything where you the driver has to get out that cab, go in and physically haul those pallets on/off the truck, you gonna bust your Ass regardless if it’s food or general freight.

The trick is to find a local gig that avoids all that.

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
This new Frontline episode debut this past week.

I watched it this morning.

It’s informative dealing with Underside accidents. The main issue I had is that it did not point out the fault of Class C drivers who are not properly trained on driving on the road with trucks.

The episode did not go into how Class C drivers are trained, starting with the fact that there is not one state on its written exam discussing anything about trucks.

I respect Frontline and enjoy and have learned from their reporting, but this episode was one-sided. Hopefully they do a follow up.

AMERICA'S DANGEROUS TRUCKS
PBS Frontline

Deadly traffic accidents involving large trucks have surged over the past decade. FRONTLINE and ProPublica examine one gruesome kind of truck accident — underride crashes — and why they keep happening.

Trucking industry representatives and the government’s lead agency on traffic safety have said that their top priority is safety. Drawing on more than a year of reporting — including leaked documents and interviews with former government insiders, trucking industry representatives, and families of underride crash victims — the documentary reveals how, for decades, federal regulators proposed new rules to try to prevent underride crashes. Over and over, pushback from trucking industry lobbyists won the day, leaving drivers of smaller vehicles vulnerable.