TV Discussion : Evil - new supernatural series on CBS starring Mike "Luke Cage" Colter UPDATE: 4TH & FINAL SEASON!

0utsyder

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Still watching the episode but I have a question about a possible plot hole. With the passing down of house successors, is Davids father (the artist) a successor or really did co-op the stigel (sp) or

Oh shit. That’s a cliffhanger.

I think he co-oped it as it was sigil of the slave owners of his great(2x) grandmother. Cause apparently you have to eat your predecessor. Also the broad that he was with though, that could be ANYTHING. If you remember her in the cornfield while Kristen was having her trip.

That is a good catch though I forgot about the sigil that he was signing his artwork with.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
@woodchuck

and it don't stop

evil for real

Broadcaster Jim Kaat apologizes for insensitive remark during MLB playoff game
https://www.cnn.com/profiles/david-close
https://www.cnn.com/profiles/jacob-lev
By David Close and Jacob Lev, CNN

Updated 11:47 PM ET, Fri October 8, 2021

Former pitcher Jim Kaat, seen here in 2016, apologized on-air Friday for using a term that referenced slavery

(CNN)A broadcaster for MLB Network has apologized for using a term that referenced slavery while on-air during a playoff game Friday.
Jim Kaat, an MLB Network analyst and former major league pitcher of 25 seasons, says he was trying to compliment Chicago White Sox third baseman Yoan Moncada during Friday's playoff game between the White Sox and the Houston Astros.

With Moncada up at the plate in the first inning, Kaat's broadcast partner and former manager Buck Showalter praised Moncada's ability and said in jest, "Can we have one of those?" when referring to the first time Showalter saw Moncada play.
The 82-year-old Kaat responded with, "Get a 40-acre field full of 'em."

Kaat apologized for the remark in the fifth inning, calling his choice of words "poor" and an "insensitive and hurtful remark."
"Earlier in the game, when Yoan Moncada was at the plate, in an attempt to compliment the great player that he is, I used a poor choice of words that resulted in an insensitive and hurtful remark. And I'm sorry for that," Kaat said.

Kaat did not explain his use of the phrase. Some believe the "40-acre" term may be from the 1865 proposal to give freed slaves in the US "40 acres and a mule" following the Civil War.

Moncada, who is from Cuba, has played six seasons in the league and finished the season hitting .263 with 14 home runs and 61 RBIs.
CNN has reached out to MLB Network for comment.

Last edited:

2Klub

Support BGOL
Registered
I think he co-oped it as it was sigil of the slave owners of his great(2x) grandmother. Cause apparently you have to eat your predecessor. Also the broad that he was with though, that could be ANYTHING. If you remember her in the cornfield while Kristen was having her trip.

That is a good catch though I forgot about the sigil that he was signing his artwork with.

Now I'm going to have to rewatch that scene in the cornfield and maybe try to find the cornfield scene from David's vision. After thinking about it more, I do agree that pops merely co-opted sigil and knowing the show, Leland and that slaver's successors are probably pop's biggest buyers of his artwork. One of pop's partners or maybe both of them could just be (for lack of better term) white lighters that work on the side of good.

So, they gave some insight of the map. 60 houses of evil, operating for 6 or 60 decades/600 years [can't remember if it was 6 or 60 (there has to be something more about the time period, maybe they operate in batches of time periods)] but they didn't speak on what the final 6 represents.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
One of these days.... you're gonna slip up and leave SOMETHING about this past you keep tap dancing around and before you have a chance to edit the post... I'mma see it, then we gonna have a discussion!

Come to find out @playahaitian is a Haitian operative who used to work for the Vatican, faked his death cause of some shyt they covered up from the rest of the world. And now lives in Kansas doing Ayuaschsa and talking to GOD.

how-did-you-know-that-david-acosta.gif

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Now I'm going to have to rewatch that scene in the cornfield and maybe try to find the cornfield scene from David's vision. After thinking about it more, I do agree that pops merely co-opted sigil and knowing the show, Leland and that slaver's successors are probably pop's biggest buyers of his artwork. One of pop's partners or maybe both of them could just be (for lack of better term) white lighters that work on the side of good.

So, they gave some insight of the map. 60 houses of evil, operating for 6 or 60 decades/600 years [can't remember if it was 6 or 60 (there has to be something more about the time period, maybe they operate in batches of time periods)] but they didn't speak on what the final 6 represents.

giphy.gif

e6170185d86177d9c54920634a85c846e81f35ed.gif

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

2Klub

Support BGOL
Registered
Thanks for the videos. Now that I saw that birth scene...that was NASTY but damn! In retrospect, that's a clear sign of where the show was heading but I remember at the time, I was like WTF.

Now I'm wondering if Leland is grooming Kristen's daughter, Lexi, to be a successor of a house OR a tool. At first, I would say being a tool but I could also see her being more. Wasn't she activated w/ the code word in the last episode?

0utsyder

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Thanks for the videos. Now that I saw that birth scene...that was NASTY but damn! In retrospect, that's a clear sign of where the show was heading but I remember at the time, I was like WTF.

Now I'm wondering if Leland is grooming Kristen's daughter, Lexi, to be a successor of a house OR a tool. At first, I would say being a tool but I could also see her being more. Wasn't she activated w/ the code word in the last episode?

We don't know, that dafoodil word was just on a page in the book she was reading and could be anything.

0utsyder

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

What if the baby that was born in this episode is the demon that David was being chased by in the season finale and they are RELATED!!!!!

JUST SUPER lazy writing from your boy (me)

0utsyder

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
The scene at the end when David was talking to the nun; "... YO WHAT THE FCUK AM I DOING?!?!?!?!" and then took the liquor! Is the line EVERY person should have in these shows.

A real FCUK THIS SHYT!!! moment!

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Definitely pushing the envelope of what is allowed on the CBS streaming service with those visions David was having.

I was hoping that David and Kristen would NEVER give in to that sexual tension that they had.

David having to lay on his stomach for an extra minute to hide the raging hard on he was getting! Why is it people with sexual "problems" go into priesthood?

Evil-Finale-Season-2-David-kristen-Kiss-Floor.jpg

been there

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Evil EPs, Katja Herbers Break Down Finale's Shocking Final Moments
By Kimberly Roots / October 10 2021, 12:01 PM PDT

Courtesy of Paramount+

RELATED STORIES

Warning: This post contains spoilers from Evil‘s Season 2 finale.
Evil‘s very first episode ever established two certainties: The Devil has an insidious presence in our world, and there is an affectionate little something-something sparking between David Acosta and Kristen Bouchard.
But for two seasons, any attraction between Mike Colter and Katja Herbers’ characters was kept in check by their circumstances. David was a Catholic priest-in-training. Kristen was a married mother of four. Even in last week’s episode, which included an emotionally frank conversation in which Kristen and David agreed that they might’ve been a couple if they’d met at a different point in their lives, nothing untoward happened.

Sunday’s Season 2 finale, however, changed everything. On the same day that David was ordained as a fully fledged man of the cloth, Kristen came to him in crisis. She tearfully asked him to hear her confession, which allowed her to finally share the secret she’d kept all season: that she’d killed serial murderer Orson LeRoux and gotten away with it. As a shocked David absolved her of her sins, a sobbing Kristen fell into his arms. Moments later, the pair were kissing. (Read a full recap.)
There was no way we were going to let that major development pass by without some input from the people who made it happen. So read on to hear what showrunners Michelle King and Robert King and series star Katja Herbers had to say about the episode.
TVLINE | In the previous episode, David and Kristen had a very vulnerable discussion, which also took place in his bedroom, but were able to pull back from taking it farther — talk to me about why things are different this time around.
MICHELLE KING
| It partly comes out of the intimacy that’s created from her confessing to him and speaks to, frankly, how seriously the show takes religion: that a sacrament would be the most intimate moment of the series and that the characters, especially Kristen, might confuse the warmth she feels with the release of being able to confess this sin with love or sexual desire.
ROBERT KING | For Kristen, the whole year has been a pent-up anxiety about what she did, even when she was in denial about that, even when she thought she had been, first of all, forgiven by the police for the worst reason, white privilege, and then, second, when she feels she has been released from the supernatural aspects of evil. She still feels the person she respects the most, which is not necessarily God to her, but David. She just needs to be forgiven that, so that she doesn’t do it again, and that’s why she brings the ice ax.
And then, I think Michelle is right, just the exhaustion factor with all that pent up. And I don’t think the show thinks it’s necessarily a good thing, what happens, because it is not the right moment. It really should not. You know, if you commit to something you commit to it.
TVLINE | When did you find out the Kings were going to pull the trigger on David and Kristen?
HERBERS
| Maybe five days before we started shooting the episode or something. But for me, that wasn’t the most daunting part. The confession and the guilt that comes out that she was let off by her friend, that’s mostly what I was thinking about. I just found that kiss very beautiful. I don’t know where it’s going to go in the third season, but this is clearly not them flirting in this scene. This is actually her showing everything that she is and that she has done, and him accepting her for who she is. I find it very beautiful. We’re not playing around with the chemistry that they’ve had. We’re now actually…it’s sort of love at that point, if you can lay it all bare and somebody accepts you like that. I thought that was just very beautiful. [Pauses] Now what? [Laughs]

TVLINE | Throughout the season, we repeatedly hear that the side of good needs more warriors, and that David needs to become a priest. Now he’s a priest, but… How will what happens at the end of the episode affect the battle between good and evil as the show continues?
MICHELLE KING
| That’s something we want to explore in Season 3, very much. If a priest who possibly has sinned, how does that impact his ability to do his work?
ROBERT KING | I mean, the whole episode is about these temptations and these images he can’t get out of his head, and then, he kind of gives in to it, maybe because of love. There probably is true love there but still, they are seen as temptations that needed to be resisted. So, it can’t be good.
TVLINE | Was there discussion about which character would initiate the kiss?
MICHELLE KING
| You know what, that’s such a good question. The intention is very much that it is mutual.
ROBERT KING | Michelle was there when we were shooting it. So, Michelle, by the way, did they do it different ways or did they always do it that way?
MICHELLE KING | I don’t recall. I think it was always pretty much that way. The actors are so talented and treated that scene in particular so carefully and with such support for each other. I mean, because it’s a very difficult scene, especially for Katja. And they both handled it with such grace.
ROBERT KING | Alethea Jones, who directed the elevator episode earlier in the year, did this. And the blocking of it, I thought it was particularly spectacular.
HERBERS | We choreographed it in a way that I could end up in his arms like that. The hug being just slightly too long, and then us both sensing that the energy had shifted. Then I really like that choice that neither of us is doing it. Neither of us is a victim of the situation. We’re both in this for the exact same amount.
TVLINE | The thing that struck me is that Kristen has been very alone all season, both physically — Andy hasn’t been around — and with her secret. The relief of having someone she cares about truly know what’s been going on with her was a palpable thing in that scene.
HERBERS
| Yeah. But I don’t know…she wouldn’t have kissed someone else at the end of this. That’s because it was David.
TVLINE | The question I have verbatim on my list here is: “Edward, Sheryl and Leland: WTF?” I truly do not know what’s going on there. Illuminate anything you can, please.
ROBERT KING
| [Laughs] To me, this goes to the secret of what the 60 are and what that sigil map is about. I think what Sister Andrea says is true, there are 60 families, almost like these are crests of the family, and they’re not genetically connected. When one person dies out, they need to replace them, but that replacement has to be someone who will take on the mantle of whatever that sigil means. We’re going to find out more specifically what the sigils mean next season, but at least at the moment, she has deciphered the fact the way succession happens is through cannibalism.

Almost everything with the demonic side of the script is a bad parody of the Catholic side of the script. So, there’s eating the body and blood of Christ on one side, eating the body and blood of the demon before you on the other. So, it’s all flipped on each other. Demonic Edward, he’s not the same sigil as Leland. There are two sigils, so there are two kind of parts of an order of a house. So, they’re always on the make for who’s going to replace them.
MICHELLE KING | Same union, different local. [Laughs]

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

HE’S ALWAYS LISTENING.”
RAFAEL MOTAMAYOR
10.10.2021 7:00 AM

MICHAEL EMERSON KNOWS A THING OR TWO about being on TV shows with deep mythologies and lots of secrets. But he is as clueless as the rest of us. The last thing he wants is to be told what will happen, yet he's usually playing characters who are two steps ahead of everyone else.
"It frees me up from being responsible for backstory or forward story," Emerson tells Inverse. "All I have to do is show up and play the scene that's on the page that day."

After playing a good guy on the very underrated sci-fi thriller Person of Interest, Emerson is back to playing the deliciously evil Leland Townsend on Evil, which just wrapped up its Season 2 finale.
Evil follows a group of investigators working with the Catholic church to assess whether events are paranormal or have perfectly reasonable psychological explanations. The show is one of the best horror TV shows of the past few years, combining psychological thrills with philosophical questions about morality and religion while also just being a darn scary show about demons and ghouls.
In an interview with Inverse, Emerson helps break down the season finale, where Leland seemingly gets everything he wants and is last seen leading his own evil church. He also teases what we can expect from Season 3.
This interview has been edited and condensed for clarity.
MAJOR SPOILERS OF EVIL’S SEASON 2 FINALE AHEAD.
Michael Emerson as Leland Townsend Evil Season 2 finale episode, titled “C is for Cannibal.”Elizabeth Fisher/Paramount+

Evil’s second season reached a whole new level in terms of mythology and mystery. How was it like seeing this unraveled?
Honestly, I had no idea where things were going to go. I wait until I get the script, and then I see what they've asked me to do. And it's usually something great. The change is in the writing team. They've gotten comfortable with this narrative and these characters that they're warming up to, and they have more and more good ideas about what we can do.
Certainly, for Leland Townsend, he's become more active. For me, it's great because I feel like he's now suddenly more theatrical. He's funnier; he's having a good time, which is both interesting and irksome. I think the audience is still trying to get a handle on him in the same way that I am actually because I don't know where it's going to go.
Do you have an idea in your mind of what Leland is planning in any particular scene?
I have to make plans because Leland is making plans. So I have to understand how he operates. I know that everything he does is part of an agenda. Even though I may not know all the details of the plan, and I certainly don't know who his comrades are, I still know that he's up to his business. And that's always playable because it's all micro strategies. He's always just trying to get a rise out of somebody to piss them off, make them do something, embarrass them, or, most importantly, shake their faith.
By the end of the season, it seems everything is coming up Leland. Do you think he has an ultimate goal in mind that he's working towards?
He seems to have a boundless ambition, and it seems to be mainly focused on the Catholic Church. It would be satisfying to him to get inside the church and begin to corrupt it from the inside, begin to destroy it or shake its foundations to ruin faith.
Katja Herbers as Kristen Bouchard and Michael Emerson as Leland Townsend in Evil.Elizabeth Fisher/Paramount+

Now that he's infiltrated the team, they are all going to have to work together. How does that change the dynamic going forward to season 3?
It just means he's going to have more disguises. He's going to have to pretend and have more layers with more people. But he seems to delight in that in a way. He's an actor. He pretends a lot. And he means to provoke people at every level. The higher he climbs the hierarchy, the more dangerous and thrilling his work becomes.
Speaking of dangers, can you talk about that exorcism scene? Because there is a moment of real vulnerability that is very rare for Leland.
Well, Leland thought that he could outwit the exorcists, that he could pretend and make a mockery of their sacraments. But at some point, the exorcist had too much power and began to conjure something out of the inside of Leland. I think that scared him to death, and it left him weak, shaken, shattered. That's why he needed Cheryl to bring over the blood and the root beer to get his power back. He was in dangerous territory there for a while.
Playing that is hard work because it involves a lot of contractions, forced breathing, and wrestling with people. It's a great struggle to do many, many takes of those different scenes all day. And then sometimes they have to come up with voices seemingly coming out from inside me — voices that aren't my own. That's a hard thing to think through, to find those voices and then to do them in quick succession. All while flailing around and screaming.
Leland (Michael Emerson) and Sister Andrea (Andrea Martin) in Evil.Paramount+
One interesting thing about Leland is how carefree he seems at all times, except when he's with Sister Andrea. What does Leland see in her?

Those are great scenes because they are fully dangerous, and he doesn't know where he stands. Leland is not in control of those moments. It's like a showdown between gunslingers; she has some power unknown to him. He doesn't know if his stuff will work or not. She's going to be a real problem for Leland.
The finale ends with what I can only describe as “an inverse communion,” with Leland leading this ritual. What does this moment mean for Leland?
I wasn't prepared for that. Instead of playing it very breezy, or like it was a party, I thought, let's play it like we're at a place of worship. Let's slow it down. Let's have gestures. Let's have rituals. It turned out very disturbing.
In the last four to six episodes, we got into a place where we see Leland is part of some organizations. The people at these organizations each have a different habit or thing that they do. Leland is pleased to feel like he fits right in with whatever somebody's practices are. He can help make it more intense.
Leland took on new challenges in Evil Season 2.Paramount+
It seems like Leland is connected to everything bad that is happening on the show, but we don't know how he exactly is involved.
I just play who Leland is at all times, which is, he's eager and delighted and having a good time and learning more from people than he's giving out. He's always listening. And it wouldn't be cool for him to express a surprise or say, “Oh my God, I had no idea.” He has nature to say, “Oh yes.”
One of the big surprises was Leland seemed to recognize the fire Djinn that haunted Kristen. Previously, it seemed like only one character could see a demon in order to maintain the suspense of whether it was real at all. What does it mean for Leland?
The solution to that problem is to ask why he does not express surprise, disgust, horror, or embrace them. I like to play the boredom that comes with familiarity.
Like his psychologist, who was the goat-headed demon, I thought, what would make this scene strange and mysterious? I realized because the audience is seeing this creature for the first time and Leland has seen him hundreds of times; there's no surprise in it anymore. In fact, I'm sick and tired of him bossing me around. It's like a teenager with his dad; you don't want to hear it anymore. You're so over it. That's a way that scene gets weird.
So, I'm going to employ plain boredom on our show when it comes to the fellowship of other agents, the Dark Side. Leland’s immune to their violence or their scariness because he's already sold his soul to the devil. That makes him fear-proof.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Michelle and Robert King on ‘Evil,’ ‘The Good Fight’ and Leaning Into the Absurd
"Everybody says how hard it is to satirize. I think the key is that you kind of have to draw with brighter colors."

BY MIKEY O'CONNELL
for Evil and The Good Fight.]
Paramount+ drama Evil finished its second season over the weekend. In addition to layering on a few more bonkers elements to the theological thriller — Christine Lahti’s “cool grandma” character now appears to be in league with cannibalistic Satanists — the series tempted one age-old TV trope by having its two leads (Mike Coulter and Katja Herbers) take a detour outside of the friend zone.

Michelle and Robert King, the married writer-producers behind both Evil and The Good Fight, don’t seem worried about the move having an adverse impact on their show. Speaking with THR, the duo also discussed how they approach storytelling on a series with multiple accurate interpretations, how the Jan. 6 attacks on the U.S. Capitol influenced the recent season of The Good Fight and the appeal in staying put at CBS Studios, where they recently signed a new deal.

There’s a lot of weird stuff on this show — and I suppose I’m referring to the errant blob of corrosive goo that appeared when two characters were having sex earlier in season two. When you introduce things like that, how much do you think about balancing your own interest in resolution with what the audience might expect?
Michelle King
We do discuss that in the room every year. It’ll get as prosaic as making lists of what has been left unanswered and what of that we feel would be interesting to delve back into.
Robert King We use the term “hanging chads” for unintentional questions. Sometimes it’s just planned. Sometimes you want to leave a mystery unresolved. Other times, because we’re playing a multi-arc game over several seasons, there are things we know we’re going to answer eventually but want to leave the audience with a good place to pause. And then there are things that we didn’t think would create a mystery, but do, because we’re just pursuing what’s interesting or makes us laugh. We’re not going to answer those, just because they’re funny to us.
Michelle Unless we do. Occasionally, it comes up. “We could circle this back to sex goo…”
Robert A good example of that is the police episode. We knew we wanted to do something about the police. There’s something, all the way from Dragnet to the new procedurals, this fascist element built into the tenor of them. And as we were building the episode, we thought, oh, this is a good way to solve the police aspect of Kristen’s story by making a comment on white privilege. She killed a serial killer, but she was forgiven by the police because she’s a white suburban mom. There’s always these happy accidents of things when you put together a complicated puzzle and suddenly the pieces fit in.

The second season of Evil really kicked up some fantasy elements, supernatural elements, whatever you want to call them, but you don’t seem wed to acknowledging if they are real within the world of the show. Is the audience meant to think one way or another?

Michelle
I think how serious you are meant to take it is really about which character you think is on the right side of the question. If you are someone who thinks David understands the world, then absolutely you should be taking it very seriously. If you think Kristen has it figured out, then not so much.
Robert There’s some things you could blame on certain medications. We read this book, The Collected Schizophrenia, which is a lovely book by a woman [Esmé Weijun Wang] who was very much high-functioning in her day job but seeing hallucinations and had trouble with medication. There are scientific and psychological explanations, but again, Michelle and I are on different parallel tracks on this. I do believe in the supernatural. And you still don’t.
Michelle I do not.
Robert You still don’t?
Michelle Even in the third season? Yeah.
Robert We want a show that satisfies both our instincts.
Michelle At least for me, what’s more important than whether people come away from the show believing in the supernatural elements is seeing that people that disagree can speak to each other and listen to each other respectfully. Ted Lasso, as a supernatural series.
Between Evil and The Good Fight, your work has been leaning into the absurd and the surreal of late. What inspired the shift?
Robert
Trump’s election. With that, the world went absurd. It was suddenly as if we were all circling the sun in a different orbit. The earth went off-axis, and it felt like Monty Python started becoming kings in parts of the world. It’s the most absurd as Kafka-esque drama, so it’s hard to draw straight lines when the world keeps throwing your lines off. Everybody says how hard it is to satirize. I think the key is that you kind of have to draw with brighter colors. We’re not just creating absurdity. It’s about the psychological states of these characters who have to deal with the absurdity around them. That just felt more interesting to us than to say, “Hey, Trump is bad.”
Michelle The characters are slowly being driven mad, yet they still have to go through their days.
For various reasons, consummating a “will they or won’t they?” storyline often has an adverse effect on a show’s popularity. What do you both think of the idea of a “Moonlighting curse” and did you worry about tempting it by having Mike Colter and Katja Herbers’ characters go there on Evil?
Michelle
I think we benefit from the fact that it’s not the absolute focus of the story. There’s a whole lot else going on. If folks were only tuning in for that, I’d be more concerned.
Robert The problem I always have is when it’s used a carnival barker to get you in the tent. It’s a trope, but also it’s an issue of life. You’re in an office, you’re always gossiping, “When are they going to do it?” So I just don’t want it as the end all be all. And I think you should watch next season because things do not go where you think they’re going to go.

Speaking of season three, you’ll be making that specifically for Paramount+ — whereas this season was made to air on CBS. There was some nudity in Evil‘s season finale. Do you feel that the official move to streaming will impact what you choose to show?
Michelle
We found out at the very end of the season that we’d be going on Paramount+.
Robert Alethea Jones, who was the director of the last episode and the elevator episode earlier in the season, she’s excellent. We all talked and said, “Look, the option suddenly became available to us.” We already knew there were going to be these obsessions of David’s character and we see flashes, but we didn’t know they would go at the direction Mike Coulter and Alethea took them. But since we could, I don’t think any of them are untasteful, I like having a little elbow room to do that. We added swear words, too, but they were all ADR-ed in later.
Michelle Ideally it doesn’t look like, “Oh, they’re doing it because they can and not because the story requires it.”
You recently signed a new deal to stay put at CBS Studios. Why stay put, and was Evil’s move from broadcast to streaming part of the appeal?
Michelle
In terms of moving from broadcast to streaming on Evil, it felt like a smart move for this show. It always felt more like a streaming show in terms of content. So, now it feels like it’s situated correctly.
Robert Staying also felt smart for us. We’re in a gang of other showrunners, and you hear bitching about all the places you can go. One thing that we know is our collaborators are very deferential to what we want to do. We could count on two fingers the times that they said no — except financially (laughs). When standards and practices was an issue, there was that, but never creatively. There are probably places that have more audience — I mean, there are. But we also hear from people who work there, and sometimes you get buried. Whenever you’re looking for another studio or platform and you’re looking at their top three shows, you’re lying to yourself. That’s probably not where you’re going to end up. You’re going to end up part of the deluge of product. I sure can’t keep up with what’s on Netflix
You’re both fond of real-life inspirations. But on the recent season of The Good Fight, this fake court judged by Mandy Patinkin that ends up being so much of the season’s focus, doesn’t have a clear correlative. What was the inspiration there?
Michelle
Well, I would say the inspiration for the season in general was January 6th. But that particular plotline was from Aurin Squire, who’s one of the writers on the show. He had this idea, “What if there’s a layperson who suddenly opens up a court in the back of a copy shop?” It was such a weird idea that we all jumped on it.
Robert Part of January 6th and prior to that was the group wanting to kidnap the Governor of Michigan, take her into a basement and hold her for trial. I think in the background of the militia and Proud Boy thinking is this idea of opening your own court where you can hold certain naysayers’ feet to the fire. And the more everybody talks about this idea of secession, what they really are looking for is only having the people who agree with their point of view judging them. We wanted the story to start with Frank Capra and move to Paddy Chayefsky’s Network. You think you’re being told a sweet story about a funny judge, but then everything ends up. That, I thought, was our parable-like arc to the thread.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

Evil’s Michael Emerson on that mystifying season 2 finale, and still being recognized for Lost
Michael Emerson on comparisons between Evil’s Leland Townsend and Lost’s Ben Linus: “People are usually inclined to package them together”
Main image: Anderson Group. Background images: Evil (Elizabeth Fischer/CBS)
Graphic: Rebecca Fassola
By
Saloni Gajjar

Sunday 10:00AM

Comments (28)

Alerts

The creepy, delightful Paramount+ drama Evil wrapped its second season run with multiple loose ends.
Created by Robert and Michelle King, the show balances complex scientific, supernatural and spiritual themes. It follows psychiatrist Dr. Kristen Bouchard (Katja Herbers), seminarian David Acosta (Mike Colter), and tech expert Ben Shakir (Aasif Mandvi) as they work to prove or disprove possible hauntings and miracles. They meet their adversary in Leland Townsend (Michael Emerson), who might just be working with the Devil himself.
ADVERTISEMENT

In season two, Leland doubles down on his nefarious activities, especially toward the end of the season. He’s taken Kristen’s mother Sheryl (Christine Lahti) under his wing to help commit crimes. And in the finale, “C Is For Cannibal,” Leland is trying to manipulate Kristen’s daughter. He juggles all this while pretending to want an exorcism just to mess with priest-in-training David.
Leland loves chaos, and Emerson is aware that the trait is similar to one of his other well-known characters: Lost villain Benjamin Linus.
Emerson’s memorable TV performances have stayed with audiences, from The Practice to Lost to Person Of Interest, the latter of which lasted on CBS for 103 episodes. The A.V. Club spoke to Emerson about how he prepares for these monumental roles, being surprised by the Evil scripts, and the actor he wants to work with more in season three.
The A.V. Club: How much did you know about where Leland’s story is going to go? As his story progresses, he keeps going off the deep end, and your performance really reflects that.
ADVERTISEMENT

Michael Emerson: Thank you, but I didn’t have any idea at all and I wouldn’t have it any other way. I’ve done long-running series before and sometimes even writers don’t know exactly where they’re going to go season to season. Sometimes when I get the scripts I’m amazed at the things I have to do or the things they’re having me say as Leland. I’m completely onboard with how much fun they’re having with this character. He does get more and more theatrical, and I have to say, he gets funnier as he goes.
AVC: The finale doesn’t fully explain what Leland has been up to because there are so many moving parts. What’s his endgame here with Sheryl and the blood transfusions or with Lexis and passing her that Daffodil note?
ME:
A lot is as yet unanswered with that. Evil and Leland just have mysteries upon mysteries. I know what his basic agenda and mythologies are. It’s to create as much mayhem as possible and to push people’s buttons. He delights in that. Whatever rituals or organizations he may belong to, or what his office might be that includes demons or would-be demons, who knows. I’m as mystified by the finale as the viewers are. I will say that part of his work is recruitment and management. But I can’t tell yet if he’s a high officer or some bureaucratic drone in this great, dark enterprise.

Maddy Crocco and Michael Emerson in the Evil season 2 finalePhoto: Elizabeth Fisher/CBS
ADVERTISEMENT

AVC: Evil usually gives rational explanations for the case-of-the-week stuff the team deals with, except for when it comes to Leland. How does your ongoing storyline add balance?
ME:
I think he is a constant landscape against which the leads are playing out their decisions or indecisions about good vs. evil, their beliefs and skepticisms. He’s there to make it harder for certainly Kristen and David. I guess Ben, too, but I haven’t really had many scenes with Aasif Mandvi. It might be fun in season three, if Leland continues to work with the core team, if there could be some fun face-to-face interactions with him. I think Aasif is so dry and funny in his portrayal. It would feel like dueling jokesters, except very dangerous.
AVC: I did like the one scene you had in early season two when Leland can’t remember his name and he casually says Ben. I thought it was a cheeky nod to Lost. On that note, you’re well-known for playing Ben Linus, who is another villainous character. Do you feel like Leland gets compared to him a lot?
ME:
[Laughs.] Yes, that was a fun nod, indeed. People are usually inclined to package them together as two sinister characters that I’ve played. I have thought about it and the more that I do, the less overlap I see. Benjamin Linus is a tormented character in a spiritual crisis and he is earnest. I don’t think there is much playfulness about Ben, whereas Leland is having a blast with power and with powerful friends he never dreamt he would have in his life. If he is even human.
ADVERTISEMENT

AVC: Well, we do get some of Leland’s backstory but without context of how much of it is really real. Do you know much about it, or do you and Kings talk about it?
ME:
I’ve never actually had a discussion about where Leland comes from with them.
AVC: How do you prepare to step into the shoes of the character in that case?
ME:
I do it like all the characters I’ve ever played. I read the text carefully and find their voice. If I can find one that seems to serve all the situations the character finds themselves in, half the battle is won. I like to be responsive to where the writing takes it. There are actors who want to be told and who want to sit down with creators and bat ideas around. I almost have a superstition against that. I don’t want to know. I want to wait till the scripts come to my computer. I’ll open it up and it’ll be a great surprise.
ADVERTISEMENT

AVC: That’s very interesting. Has that always been the case even with Lost or Person Of Interest?
ME:
Yes. I’ve learned to like it. I’m happy that way. At the end of the day, a knowledge of what came before or what’s going to come is not of any use to the actor. It can sometimes be a distraction because you might think “I have to play it this way because I know what’s coming in two episodes.” I want to be free of that. All I want to do is play the scene as straight as I can. Or as straight as my character can be.

Katja Herbers and Michael Emerson in the Evil season 2 finalePhoto: Elizabeth Fisher/CBS
AVC: Leland is certainly not that. He gets cheekier with every episode. It must be a lot of fun to play that.
ADVERTISEMENT

ME: It’s all unexpected. The Kings have me doing things I thought I never would in my professional life, whether it’s doing funny dances in a field for a vision David is having, or being submerged in a tub of fake blood. I look at the script often and go “Really? I wonder how that is going to work.” And then it does.
AVC: Evil doesn’t necessarily take sides on the supernatural vs. science debate. Do you feel like your own views on these themes have evolved since you began working on the show?
ME:
I suppose they have to the extent that we get these scripts full of personal dilemmas and challenges. Even if you’re not in crucial scenes, you’re reading the whole script and thinking, “Oh, this is an interesting take on this problem.” A lot of the problems on the show seem cut and dry and the answers seem obvious, but they get fully fleshed out. I then often think “Oh, I don’t know where the truth lays here.” As we make it, we experience some of that ambiguity some of the audience experiences.
AVC: Are you often most recognized for Ben Linus or Finch, and is Leland now climbing the charts? He walks such a fine line between being entertaining and frustrating, so people either love to love him or love to hate him. Are the reactions polarizing?
ADVERTISEMENT

ME: You have put it correctly. It’s been about 50-50 with Lost and Person Of Interest. And now more and more, people will go “You’re that crazy demon guy.” But that’s the gamut. People half consciously like to confuse the actor with the character. They know it’s make believe but if you spend enough hours watching a person behaving a certain way, it’s bound to happen. If people stumble upon me on the street now, they’re taken aback.
AVC: Will your wife Carrie Preston make a cameo on Evil? You’ve appeared on each other’s shows in the past, with her on Person Of Interest and your role in Claws.
Subscribe to our newsletter!
Show your inbox you have great taste in news media by subscribing to The A.V. Club's newsletter.
Type your emailSign Me Up
By subscribing you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.
ME: She’s part of the Kings’ repertory so it would be cool. It could be that Carrie’s presence on Evil would come as a director rather than as a player. She’s directing The Good Fight and it would be an easy transition to come over to this one, even if it’s a different kind of show. It’s not out of the question. It would be fun and embarrassing. On set it’s like, “I know you and I don’t know you, and now I have to pretend that I don’t know you.” It always makes us giggle. It makes us shy.

MORE FROM THE A.V. CLUB

0utsyder

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
For some reason, I feel like while I was watching this past season I thought his character wasn't around as much and I wondered why. When I think about his character, as frustrating as he would make me, it was a good character. I got the sense he knew far more than he was letting on BUT there was still a sense of being naive about what he knew.

EXACTLY! Like He was taking bribes, but didn't know WHO he was taking bribes from and what they were doing because he was looking the other way.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
For some reason, I feel like while I was watching this past season I thought his character wasn't around as much and I wondered why. When I think about his character, as frustrating as he would make me, it was a good character. I got the sense he knew far more than he was letting on BUT there was still a sense of being naive about what he knew.

I was curious why his role was reduced

I even thought it was deliberate and part of the storyline

Now knowing the truth?

I really wish I was right.