TV Discussion : Evil - new supernatural series on CBS starring Mike "Luke Cage" Colter UPDATE: 4TH & FINAL SEASON!

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Ben isn't a skeptic if he is saying he knows how to fight her. That is a belief. That in order for me to beat you I need to take this path. The skeptic route is to talk to a psychiatrist and get doped up. Western Islam isn't the same as ACTUAL Islam. I just don't think he was the skeptic that they wanted us to believe. That one episode from the 1st season (s01e03 him talking with his sister you can see he has a sense of belief. (rewatching to back my claim)

I am not using skeptic literally. We can do that if you want but I'm just giving a basic tv discussion of the character and his arc so far and what he is to represent/symbolize to the viewer. He is the tech guy the debunker but who has a heart. He is a modern representation of old school v. new school. Having faith in a time where science and technology are making many lose it or question it more. The established religions are threatened by this new technology, but also want to USE it too their benefit as much as they can.

Last edited:

0utsyder

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I am not using skeptic literally. We can do that if you want but I'm just giving a basic tv discussion of the character and his arc so far and what he is to represent/symbolize to the viewer. He is the tech guy the debunker but who has a heart. He is a modern representation of old school v. new school. Having faith in a time where science and technology are making many lose it or question it more. The established religions are threatened by this new technology, but also want to USE it their benefit as much as they can.

Well, that is why we're talking homie. Definitions get lost in text, but the back and forth helps (at least me) delve more into the characters listening to it from someone else's point of view

2Klub

Support BGOL
Registered
Speaking more on Ben…
He had a house full of teen and preteen sisters call him amazing Ben. Dude is basically the best parent that family has:lol: My homegirl is pissed at the lack of parenting skills with that family. I was telling her that that family has to be white people millionaire broke.They got that house in NYC that has enough land for a sizable garage office. 4 kids all in private school around similar ages. Sure, she has a terminal degree but it doesn’t seem like she has gainful employment and a spouse that’s basically not there. Hell, even the grandma is groupie/rocker chic fancy who isn’t lacking for resources except family attention.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Speaking more on Ben…
He had a house full of teen and preteen sisters call him amazing Ben. Dude is basically the best parent that family has:lol: My homegirl is pissed at the lack of parenting skills with that family. I was telling her that that family has to be white people millionaire broke.They got that house in NYC that has enough land for a sizable garage office. 4 kids all in private school around similar ages. Sure, she has a terminal degree but it doesn’t seem like she has gainful employment and a spouse that’s basically not there. Hell, even the grandma is groupie/rocker chic fancy who isn’t lacking for resources except family attention.

fam

All Imm gonna say is that whole family scenario is NOT far-fetched at all cause I know one personally

0utsyder

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Speaking more on Ben…

Does the father climb mountains for a living or is that more for sport? But she is some kind of psychologist as Leland was her replacement on a trial. So depending on her case load she could make some dough for that to work.

2Klub

Support BGOL
Registered
Does the father climb mountains for a living or is that more for sport? But she is some kind of psychologist as Leland was her replacement on a trial. So depending on her case load she could make some dough for that to work.

That’s true. They both are climbing guides and she is a psychologist but she doesn’t have case loads now.

2Klub

Support BGOL
Registered
Rewatching S2Ep4 and I gotta say, the most fake thing (besides the grandiose over acting by the brother that got punched) about the scene where David punches the other brother is the fact that David left. As the party host, I would've looked at ole boy and said, "if you're bold enough to call a man an uncle tom like that, then don't be mad at the consequences." and then told David not to leave. :lol:

0utsyder

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Rewatching S2Ep4 and I gotta say, the most fake thing (besides the grandiose over acting by the brother that got punched) about the scene where David punches the other brother is the fact that David left. As the party host, I would've looked at ole boy and said, "if you're bold enough to call a man an uncle tom like that, then don't be mad at the consequences." and then told David not to leave. :lol:

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes! Technically we don't know who was hosting the party, more of the ambiguity that we all know and love. Come to find out the house that they were at is owned by Leland.

2Klub

Support BGOL
Registered
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes! Technically we don't know who was hosting the party, more of the ambiguity that we all know and love. Come to find out the house that they were at is owned by Leland.

it was Kevin, the Black 4th year from class, that was hosting. You are right, with the way the show is, Leland could have some type of hand in owning that place.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

Leland chatting with priests and got connects with the bishop wtf?!?

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
WHAT THE FCUK IS GOING ON!?!?!?!?

Haven't watched it yet, but reading the responses that @playahaitian is posting has got me like:
:scream:
I just glanced at his comments. Have to wait for the wife to watch it. Does Paramount show it was already watched.

It was thoroughly enjoyable

and like I was trying to explain earlier they are universe building

reaching out of the world we are accustomed to seeing...

now existing characters are being given depth

we seeing friends and neighbors and REGULAR people being effected

That all those events are no longer isolated

(also a lot more jabs at organized religion especially the church)

getting into magic voodoo mysticism technology social issues even MORE

and PSYCHOLOGY and FAITH

and the true DEFINITION of "magic" "faith" "belief"and "evil"

How this WORK effects THEM and their loved ones.

We seeing them (our team) through OTHER PEOPLE'S eyes now.

You ALREADY see how they setting up NEXT SEASON

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
when Ben says

I am the tech guy THAT IS WHAT I DO?!!!

remember what I been trying to tell ya'll about this season journey for him

0utsyder

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
It was thoroughly enjoyable

and like I was trying to explain earlier they are universe building

reaching out of the world we are accustomed to seeing...

now existing characters are being given depth

we seeing friends and neighbors and REGULAR people being effected

That all those events are no longer isolated

(also a lot more jabs at organized religion especially the church)

getting into magic voodoo mysticism technology social issues even MORE

and PSYCHOLOGY and FAITH

and the true DEFINITION of "magic" "faith" "belief"and "evil"

How this WORK effects THEM and their loved ones.

We seeing them (our team) through OTHER PEOPLE'S eyes now.

You ALREADY see how they setting up NEXT SEASON

Fcuk you! What you want me to say you're right? Fine, you're right! But I still HATE you, matter of fact I am putting the Hat(e) in PlayaHA...i...T...i... okay you know what that didn't work out the way I was thinking it would.

Joking, but how long is this show going to go for? If in the second season they're STILL building that universe? This show could be EXPANSIVE!!!

Although, 13 episodes isn't the usual 20+ episodes that I you'd be used to.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

Evil star Katja Herbers on that 'heartbreaking' twist: Kristen will 'unravel more'

By Chancellor Agard
July 25, 2021 at 06:07 PM EDT

Netflix, Paramount+, Paramount+ (Via Prime Video), and more options
Warning: This article contains spoilers about Sunday's episode of Evil.
Katja Herbers
' Dr. Kristen Bouchard definitely understands what "white privilege" means after the latest episode of Evil.
In the unsettling psychological thriller's midseason finale, Kristen's simmering guilt over killing Orson LeRoux (Darren Pettie) finally boiled over. Her friend, Det. Mira Byrd (Kristen Connolly), found Kristen in her backyard, hallucinating a violent confrontation with the serial killer in the middle of the night. Unable to hide it any longer and truly broken down, Kristen confessed to her crime with the murder weapon, the ice ax, in her hand.

To Kristen's surprise, though, Mira didn't arrest her. Instead, Mira said Kristen was justified in killing Orson and that she would help cover it up because no one would believe that a white woman with four kids could do something like that. Furthermore, Mira promised to blame this evening's backyard incident on a Black man. In other words, Kristen is actually getting away with the murder because white privilege showed up to save the day.
"I was surprised when I read the script, and thrilled with the way it all unfolded, and the fact that it was in this episode where there's also a story of the white cop getting away with shooting an unarmed black woman," Herbers tells EW. "And then me being acquitted for murder because I'm a white woman who drives a Subaru and doesn't look like somebody who might kill someone and I have a friend who's high up, who's a cop. I thought it was really clever writing and heartbreaking."

(L-R) Kristen Connolly and Katja Herbers in 'Evil'

| CREDIT: ELIZABETH FISHER/CBS
To say that Kristen feels conflicted about how this turned out for her would be an understatement. "What I really loved about getting to play it this way was that, yes, she feels enormous relief that she's acquitted and that she's not going to have to go to jail and she can still be a mother to her kids… Then three seconds later, there's the moment of, 'Wait, I might be free, but I'm going to forever be carrying this; I'm going to forever be shackled by the fact that I got off,'" says Herbers. "Now she understands if she weren't white, things would've gone very differently. I think that's something that's going to haunt her.
Kristen's late-night tussle with an imaginary Orson and her gut-wrenching breakdown and confession were challenging to shoot, and not just because of the heavy emotions at play.
"It was exceptionally hard, actually, because I filmed those things three weeks apart because we were waiting for Kristen Connolly, who plays Mira Bird, to become available. But we had to shoot out Darren Pettie in that episode," Herbers explains. "That was actually hard because I felt like when I first did this stuff with LeRoux, it would've been easy to just go into the cop showing up. Kristen has been through so much and there's so much that fuels her in that moment. Although I'm not a mother, and I haven't killed someone, I can imagine that you'd be very afraid to have to leave your babies behind."
Looking ahead to the rest of the season, Kristen will continue to grapple with the weight of what transpired with Mira. "We are going to maybe first see her being like there's a huge weight lifted off her shoulder, and then I think she's going to unravel more because she doesn't know where to place this," says Herbers. "She's going to act out. We're going to have a little bit of fun."

0utsyder

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Evil star Katja Herbers on that 'heartbreaking' twist: Kristen will 'unravel more'

By Chancellor Agard
July 25, 2021 at 06:07 PM EDT

Netflix, Paramount+, Paramount+ (Via Prime Video), and more options
Warning: This article contains spoilers about Sunday's episode of Evil.
Katja Herbers
' Dr. Kristen Bouchard definitely understands what "white privilege" means after the latest episode of Evil.
In the unsettling psychological thriller's midseason finale, Kristen's simmering guilt over killing Orson LeRoux (Darren Pettie) finally boiled over. Her friend, Det. Mira Byrd (Kristen Connolly), found Kristen in her backyard, hallucinating a violent confrontation with the serial killer in the middle of the night. Unable to hide it any longer and truly broken down, Kristen confessed to her crime with the murder weapon, the ice ax, in her hand.

To Kristen's surprise, though, Mira didn't arrest her. Instead, Mira said Kristen was justified in killing Orson and that she would help cover it up because no one would believe that a white woman with four kids could do something like that. Furthermore, Mira promised to blame this evening's backyard incident on a Black man. In other words, Kristen is actually getting away with the murder because white privilege showed up to save the day.
"I was surprised when I read the script, and thrilled with the way it all unfolded, and the fact that it was in this episode where there's also a story of the white cop getting away with shooting an unarmed black woman," Herbers tells EW. "And then me being acquitted for murder because I'm a white woman who drives a Subaru and doesn't look like somebody who might kill someone and I have a friend who's high up, who's a cop. I thought it was really clever writing and heartbreaking."

(L-R) Kristen Connolly and Katja Herbers in 'Evil'

| CREDIT: ELIZABETH FISHER/CBS
To say that Kristen feels conflicted about how this turned out for her would be an understatement. "What I really loved about getting to play it this way was that, yes, she feels enormous relief that she's acquitted and that she's not going to have to go to jail and she can still be a mother to her kids… Then three seconds later, there's the moment of, 'Wait, I might be free, but I'm going to forever be carrying this; I'm going to forever be shackled by the fact that I got off,'" says Herbers. "Now she understands if she weren't white, things would've gone very differently. I think that's something that's going to haunt her.
Kristen's late-night tussle with an imaginary Orson and her gut-wrenching breakdown and confession were challenging to shoot, and not just because of the heavy emotions at play.
"It was exceptionally hard, actually, because I filmed those things three weeks apart because we were waiting for Kristen Connolly, who plays Mira Bird, to become available. But we had to shoot out Darren Pettie in that episode," Herbers explains. "That was actually hard because I felt like when I first did this stuff with LeRoux, it would've been easy to just go into the cop showing up. Kristen has been through so much and there's so much that fuels her in that moment. Although I'm not a mother, and I haven't killed someone, I can imagine that you'd be very afraid to have to leave your babies behind."
Looking ahead to the rest of the season, Kristen will continue to grapple with the weight of what transpired with Mira. "We are going to maybe first see her being like there's a huge weight lifted off her shoulder, and then I think she's going to unravel more because she doesn't know where to place this," says Herbers. "She's going to act out. We're going to have a little bit of fun."

What's funny is Ben and David got harassed by cops while Kristen got help covering a murder up BY THE COPS

0utsyder

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
So do we think that Sister Andrea is working with Leland? A double agent maybe, she helps David talk to GOD without the use of drugs?

The zombie episode was a connective tissue episode. Allows them to introduce the shop keeper to be used in later episodes.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
So do we think that Sister Andrea is working with Leland? A double agent maybe, she helps David talk to GOD without the use of drugs?

The zombie episode was a connective tissue episode. Allows them to introduce the shop keeper to be used in later episodes.

Nah to the former

And Yup on the latter. I've been trying to explain they world building and extending the playing field.

0utsyder

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Nah to the former

And Yup on the latter. I've been trying to explain they world building and extending the playing field.

So then how do you explain the chemical reaction to the clear ammonia? Also shouldn't they've been able to smell that "holy water"?