TV SHOWS / SERIES - Seen any good ones lately? Please feel free to post reviews / feedback / trailers / articles / TV news / all that shit ...

Shaka54

FKA Shaka38
Platinum Member
So how exactly do you all binge?

You can sit and watch 10 hours no break?

Is one genre easier to binge than another?

The last show I had the easiest time binge straight thru no interruptions was that zombie series on Netflix last summer.

Mare was easy too.

But it's been now years and I still can't get thru iron fist.
I'll focus on one series at a time to binge unless there are some shows on cable that I'm watching when they air.
The Watchmen, The Nevers, etc. that air on Sunday...I'll watch them on the day they air and then during the week, I'll focus on streaming series.

That is, UNTIL something gets hyped in the thread, I might be forced to make an alteration/adjustment to what I'm viewing.
I didn't begin watching Startup until a few days ago. I didn't realize there were three seasons until I started watching, but after finishing season 2, I binged the whole season of Hacks and went back to the final season and I have only episodes 9 and 10 remaining.

Once I'm done, I'll check HBO Max, Disney+, Netflix, and Prime against suggestions from the thread.

I hadn't watched any television for three years until I started fuckin' with y'all and Fonz's threads and then back to watching the NFL. I've been playing catch-up on shows ever since. :D

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Thanks Playa.

Yeah - it's a bit of a system, lol. In the past when more MOVIES were being released, it was challenging as you'd forever be pushing back series to see those instead. Now ... it's more trying to keep up with the series (as there's too many). Black Summer season 2 later this month should be good. It has a shorter running time compared to the same genre (The Walking Dead) which has more episodes & longer running times, plus a mid-season break for a few months. Netflix releases Black Summer as a season ... quick to get through.

Also, last December with those shows like Queen's Gambit, Undoing, and Flight Attendant ... knew they were popular and would get lost in the shuffle ... so chipped away at those, usually 2 at a time ... when relaxing at home in the shitty weather.

Oh ... also got through seasons 1 and 2 of Barry pretty quickly. If I remember correctly, they were only 8 episodes each with around 30 min running times. So basically each season was like watching 2 movies.

:cheers:

It's an interesting topic of discussion the run time on these shows

I wonder if going forward these services will be really studying how that effects overall viewing

Because I think individual episode length and overall series length is getting to be a significant part of success

I think one on the flaws of the marvel series on Netflix was the amount of episodes

It felt like they were stretching themselves thin and hurt the overall product

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Once I'm done, I'll check HBO Max, Disney+, Netflix, and Prime against suggestions from the thread.

I hadn't watched any television for three years until I started fuckin' with y'all and Fonz's threads and then back to watching the NFL. I've been playing catch-up on shows ever since. :D

:roflmao3: :giggle::roflmao3::thumbsup::cheers:

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
I'll focus on one series at a time to binge unless there are some shows on cable that I'm watching when they air.
The Watchmen, The Nevers, etc. that air on Sunday...I'll watch them on the day they air and then during the week, I'll focus on streaming series.

That is, UNTIL something gets hyped in the thread, I might be forced to make an alteration/adjustment to what I'm viewing.
I didn't begin watching Startup until a few days ago. I didn't realize there were three seasons until I started watching, but after finishing season 2, I binged the whole season of Hacks and went back to the final season and I have only episodes 9 and 10 remaining.

So you just sit on your couch?

You watching on your phone tablet PC?

How many episodes can you watch back to back to back?

Which was the last show you could barely make it thru the first episode?

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
It's an interesting topic of discussion the run time on these shows

I wonder if going forward these services will be really studying how that effects overall viewing

Because I think individual episode length and overall series length is getting to be a significant part of success

I think one on the flaws f the marvel series on Netflix was the amount of episodes

It felt like they were stretching themselves thin and hurt the overall product

I was listening to the Mad About Movies podcast a few days ago. They did a review of the Amy Adams movie, The Woman in the Window. The 3 of them didn't enjoy it. Noted Adams needed to get her game back on track. They didn't care for the simplistic way of depicting mental illness in the movie. They referenced the Hitchcock movie Rear Window a few times, and how that's a movie done right re: observing others while being inside.

* They also talked about how The Woman in the Window may have worked better as a short or limited series. There would have been more character development. Though they just didn't care enough. They were glad to see it end. Also adding it's interesting how TV has become prestige in recent years.

My take is at this point ... the 20 - 24 episode sitcoms and dramas seem so outdated. So many other series are airing in 5 - 16 episode formats.

Shaka54

FKA Shaka38
Platinum Member
I binged watched the series Startup on Netflix. It was a Crackle series. I really enjoyed it.
Hat's off to Edi Gathegi. I couldn't miss that the Brotha looks like an East African from his facial construction and his lean frame...even his hair texture.
I was right...he's Kenyan-American. That Brotha put down a great performance and I hope to see him in some other roles in the future. :clap:

bigstock-Edi-Gathegi-at-the-Now-You-Se-58581089.jpg

Shaka54

FKA Shaka38
Platinum Member
So you just sit on your couch?

You watching on your phone tablet PC?

How many episodes can you watch back to back to back?

Which was the last show you could barely make it thru the first episode?
I'm on here during most of the day and since I'm retired now, I have that kind of time. :giggle:

I watch TV in my bedroom, so when I kick back, I'll start a series while I'm reclining on the bed. If I doze off, I'll back up an episode after I wake up to use the bathroom or to let my dog out, etc. I'll stay up long enough to watch a few more episodes...depending on the length and repeat the process until the series is complete.

I didn't enjoy The Upshaws as much as most in this thread. :yawn: Even still, I'd let the show play out in support of viewership. I didn't finish out Jamie Foxx's sitcom either. I'll get back to it one of these days. :dunno:

There are a few others that I didn't like or found difficult to sit through but they're not coming immediately to mind right now. I'd have to search my own feedback in this thread and others...they must've been THAT forgettable to me. :lol:

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
I've never heard of this. It looks interesting enough...I'll have to put this on the watchlist.
I see that he was in Twilight, which I watched until I lost interest in the romance novel feel and then Twilight was watching ME. :wakeup:

It was pretty good. Aired from Feb. to April of last year ... quirky and eccentric ...

Premise from Wikipedia -

When Detective Felicity Dill is killed in a car bombing, her sister Allegra Dill, an investigator working for a senator, returns home to San Bonifacio to find her killer. In the process of her investigation, she uncovers a web of corruption in the small Texas town.[8]

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
I watched this one on a humbug. I enjoyed it.
I think that I saw a Vox (or Vice) video about the Cecil Hotel and that's what piqued my interest.

It was a big news story here years back. She was a local university student.

What I didn't like about the docuseries was that the hotel manager seemed a bit out to lunch. Some of the "fans" and conspiracy theorists about the death investigation seemed like real oddballs. They got too much camera time. Or when they tarnished the name of the rocker dude who filmed a music video there. Tried to paint him as the killer.

Felt bad knowing Elisa's family would be hearing about this ... considering millions would watch.

They've been living with the nightmare of her strange death for years. Would have rather heard from them, or friends of the family who knew her and them.

Not some fanboys (of the elevator video) and blonde manager bimbo.

Did appreciate hearing from the investigators as they studied the video footage and combed through the surveillance footage trying to piece anything to the incident. Hearing from them, as experts.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

On February 19, 2013, a body was recovered in a water tank atop the Cecil Hotel in Downtown Los Angeles. It was later identified as that of Elisa Lam, also known by her Cantonese name, Lam Ho Yi (; April 30, 1991[1] – February 2013), a Canadian student at the University of British Columbia in Vancouver.[2] She had been staying at the hotel when she was reported missing at the beginning of the month. A maintenance worker discovered the body when investigating guest complaints of problems with the water supply and pressure.

Her disappearance had been widely reported; interest had increased five days prior to the discovery of her body when the Los Angeles Police Department released a video of the last time she was known to have been seen, on the day of her disappearance, by an elevator security camera in the hotel. In the footage, Lam is seen exiting and re-entering the elevator, talking and gesturing in the hallway outside, and sometimes seeming to hide within the elevator. The video went viral, with many viewers reporting that they found it unsettling. Explanations ranged from claims of paranormal involvement to bipolar disorder, for which Lam took medication. It has also been argued that the video was altered prior to release.[3]

The circumstances of Lam's death, once she was found, also raised questions, especially in light of the hotel's history in relation to other notable deaths and murders. Her body was naked[4] with most of her clothes and personal effects floating in the water near her.[4] It took the Los Angeles County Coroner's office four months, after repeated delays, to release the autopsy report, which reports no evidence of physical trauma and states that the manner of death was accidental.[5] Guests at the Cecil, now re-branded as Stay on Main, sued the hotel over the incident and Lam's parents filed a separate suit later that year; the latter was dismissed in 2015. Some of the early Internet interest noted what were considered to be unusual similarities between Lam's death and the 2002 horror film Dark Water.[2] The case has since been referenced in international popular culture. It was the subject of Crime Scene: The Vanishing at the Cecil Hotel, a four-part 2021 Netflix docuseries.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
I was listening to the Mad About Movies podcast a few days ago. They did a review of the Amy Adams movie, The Woman in the Window. The 3 of them didn't enjoy it. Noted Adams needed to get her game back on track. They didn't care for the simplistic way of depicting mental illness in the movie. They referenced the Hitchcock movie Rear Window a few times, and how that's a movie done right re: observing others while being inside.

* They also talked about how The Woman in the Window may have worked better as a short or limited series. There would have been more character development. Though they just didn't care enough. They were glad to see it end. Also adding it's interesting how TV has become prestige in recent years.

My take is at this point ... the 20 - 24 episode sitcoms and dramas seem so outdated. So many other series are airing in 5 - 16 episode formats.

Is it lack of quality from creators or lack of attention span from viewers?

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

I think it's the watering down of the product over time. Too much for too long. Back in the day things would eventually "jump the shark". Whereas in the 2000s and 2010s onward ... things just wear out their welcome. Sometimes less is more. Have an end date. Don't go for 10+ years. Don't increase the episode count later in the series' run. That kind of stuff. Even some of the podcasters were saying years back that Fear the Walking Dead was actually better than the main show.

When the show was great ... it was watercooler talk. Appointment viewing in the early seasons. Then gradually the ratings dropped off, as did BGOL viewership too.

Whereas a show like Black Summer comes along ... gives you 8 shorter episodes in 2019, and 8 more in 2021.

Easier for people to get through.

SeasonEpisodesOriginally aired
First airedLast aired
16October 31, 2010December 5, 2010
213October 16, 2011March 18, 2012
316October 14, 2012March 31, 2013
416October 13, 2013March 30, 2014
516October 12, 2014March 29, 2015
616October 11, 2015April 3, 2016
716October 23, 2016April 2, 2017
816October 22, 2017April 15, 2018
916October 7, 2018March 31, 2019
1022October 6, 2019April 4, 2021
1124[10]August 22, 2021[11]2022[10]

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Ratings for the Walking Dead ...

DateViewers
(millions)
DateViewers
(millions)
SeasonTimeslot (ET)EpisodesFirst airedLast airedAvg. viewers
(millions)
1Sunday 10:00 pm6October 31, 20105.35[176]December 5, 20105.97[177]5.24[178]
2Sunday 9:00 pm13October 16, 20117.26[179]March 18, 20128.99[180]6.90[181]
316October 14, 201210.87[182]March 31, 201312.40[183]10.75[184]
416October 13, 201316.11[185]March 30, 201415.68[186]13.33[187]
516October 12, 201417.30[173]March 29, 201515.78[188]14.38[189]
616October 11, 201514.63[190]April 3, 201614.19[191]13.15[192]
716October 23, 201617.03[193]April 2, 201711.31[194]11.35[195]
816October 22, 201711.44[196]April 15, 20187.92[197]7.82[198]
916October 7, 20186.08[199]March 31, 20195.02[200]4.95[201]
1022October 6, 20194.00[202]April 4, 20212.12[203]3.04[204]

ViCiouS

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
both...
studios like WB can't get out their own way....
and
HBOMax metrics are telling the execs most subscribers are watching rerun sitcoms (Friends #1) than everything else on the service and it ain't close
(got that info from the Watch podcast - they were chopping up future of content on HBOMax, Hulu & Netflx)

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
both...
studios like WB can't get out their own way....
and
HBOMax metrics are telling the execs most subscribers are watching rerun sitcoms (Friends #1) than everything else on the service and it ain't close
(got that info from the Watch podcast - they were chopping up future of content on HBOMax, Hulu & Netflx)

That's a good way to put it - "can't get out of their own way".

I was listening to another podcast (movie review one) and one of the cohosts has a friend who works in the biz. Said the majority of what was being accepted in Hollywood were the reboots and established IP (intellectual properties). They just can't bank on new ideas. They have to reboot, relaunch, re-try stuff. I.E. - Saved by the Bell, Punky Brewster, Full House, you name it. They're hoping the past 80s and 90s popularity with now-parents will resonate down to their kids. Hoping to get "family viewing" or built-in potential audiences.

Whereas most TV & movie fan audiences are like - "Nah ... give us more movies like PARASITE!"

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
@Shaka54

Welcome to Episode 123 of TV’s Top 5, The Hollywood Reporter‘s TV podcast.

Every week, hosts Lesley Goldberg (West Coast TV editor) and Daniel Fienberg (chief TV critic) break down the latest TV news with context from the business and critical sides, welcome showrunners, executive and other guests, and provide a critical guide of what to watch (or skip, as the case may be).

This week’s five topics are:

1. Jupiter’s (Not So Great) Legacy
This week, Netflix canceled Mark Millar’s big-budget superhero drama less than a month after its premiere. But the streamer still plans to build a franchise out of the canceled superhero drama. Can that strategy work?

ViCiouS

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
@Shaka54

Welcome to Episode 123 of TV’s Top 5, The Hollywood Reporter‘s TV podcast.

Every week, hosts Lesley Goldberg (West Coast TV editor) and Daniel Fienberg (chief TV critic) break down the latest TV news with context from the business and critical sides, welcome showrunners, executive and other guests, and provide a critical guide of what to watch (or skip, as the case may be).

This week’s five topics are:

1. Jupiter’s (Not So Great) Legacy
This week, Netflix canceled Mark Millar’s big-budget superhero drama less than a month after its premiere. But the streamer still plans to build a franchise out of the canceled superhero drama. Can that strategy work?

I swear Netflix's real business model is money laundering

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Some other fave entertainment podcasts in no particular order -

- The Big Picture
- The Watch
- The Countdown Movie & Television Reviews
- Now and Then Movie Podcast
- Mad About Movies
- Pop Culture Happy Hour
- Behind the Screen
- / Film Daily, or search for Slash Film Daily or Slash Film Cast
- We Hate Movies
- We Just Saw A Movie
- Comedy Film Nerds
- To the '90s and Beyond
- Film Junk
- TV Ate My Brain
- The Movies that Made Me

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Some other fave entertainment podcasts in no particular order -

- The Big Picture
- The Watch
- The Countdown Movie & Television Reviews
- Now and Then Movie Podcast
- Mad About Movies
- Pop Culture Happy Hour
- Behind the Screen
- / Film Daily, or search for Slash Film Daily or Slash Film Cast
- We Hate Movies
- We Just Saw A Movie
- Comedy Film Nerds
- To the '90s and Beyond
- Film Junk
- TV Ate My Brain
- The Movies that Made Me

Wow

I have only heard of ONE of these!

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Thought they said from jump that that show was a one-season-and-done thing

I’m not sure, but I think they were hoping for more. The showrunner also co-hosts The Ringer podcast. They are based in LA, but filmed in New Mexico. It was interesting hearing him give some production behind the scenes while occasionally doing call-ins. It was his first time at the helm of a tv series, and he was really grateful having a talented cast sign on. They got along well.