TV SHOWS / SERIES - Seen any good ones lately? Please feel free to post reviews / feedback / trailers / articles / TV news / all that shit ...

p5ych3

Curry Is My God
BGOL Patreon Investor
Finishing up season 1 of War of the Worlds, the english/French version. It's a slow burn that's focusing in the human side of things. Still don't know why the aliens are wiping out anyone who isn't a baby.

I'm watching it on Amazon Prime.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
This podcast episode is a good listen. Had it in the rotation yesterday -

joneblaze

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Queen of the South on USA FINALE
No big surprises .I felt the series ran out of steam when they sidelined Dona

The telumundo series was far superior !!

The Black List
Funny how the latest episode is just all exposition
When Megan Boone vanished for 8 episodes or more i knew she was looking for an exit

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Finished up the 2nd half of the Lupin season. Gonna start Loki soon. Gonna finish Hacks season 1 by the weekend. Black Summer s2 and Gangs of London s1 ahead soon. Have had Gangs of London queued up for months while watching other series.

ThaBurgerPimp

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor

Actually watched the premiere episode,it's okay so far..they did mention what happened to Jennette's character(said she joined a biker gang)

Looks like theyll be treading the same ground that Fuller House and the Punky Brewster revival covered

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
now that the show is over, i'm having withdrawal symptoms lol....ready for Ozark to start back up.

Looking forward to their upcoming season too - whenever it arrives. Looks like they are doing a split season similar to Lupin (which did 5 & 5 episodes). They're doing 7 and 7 ...

The ten-episode first season was released on July 21, 2017;[3][8] the ten-episode second season was released on August 31, 2018,[9] and the third season (also ten episodes) was released on March 27, 2020.[10][11] In June 2020, the series was renewed for a fourth and final season, which will consist of 14 episodes split into two parts.[12]

kdogg3270

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
Looking forward to their upcoming season too - whenever it arrives. Looks like they are doing a split season similar to Lupin (which did 5 & 5 episodes). They're doing 7 and 7 ...

The ten-episode first season was released on July 21, 2017;[3][8] the ten-episode second season was released on August 31, 2018,[9] and the third season (also ten episodes) was released on March 27, 2020.[10][11] In June 2020, the series was renewed for a fourth and final season, which will consist of 14 episodes split into two parts.[12]

i read that and it pisses me off. Godfather of harlem taking a break is bad enough. any word on Stranger Things or Kobra Kai?

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
i read that and it pisses me off. Godfather of harlem taking a break is bad enough. any word on Stranger Things or Kobra Kai?

Seems like more shows are following those split seasons similar to The Walking Dead when it was in its prime. When they were known for their October - December, and Feb - April type of stretches.

Not quite sure about the next season starts for Stranger Things or Cobra Kai.

Wikipedia noted Cobra Kai's last season debuted January 1st of this year. They are expected for a 4th quarter of 2021 release this year.

As for Stranger Things ... their 1st season released mid-July. 2nd season was late-October. 3rd season was early-July. I've always thought a late-October release (pre-Halloween) would be great for them every time out. Those July releases are smart on their part too. Less competition from competing shows.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Finished season 1 of Hacks. Liked how they ended the season, as they've been renewed for a 2nd season already. They do a good job balancing the dramatic with the comedic. Enough time for character development too.

2 episodes left for The Serpent. It's been consistently good throughout.

Checked out the 1st ep of season 2 of Black Summer. Love the frantic energy of the show. For those who enjoyed season 1 and are planning to check out this new season ... friendly reminder ... go back and read some episode recaps, or check out some of the season 1 recaps on Youtube. Just to re-familiarize yourself with some of the storylines and characters, as season 1 aired way back in April of 2019. Here's some helpful links below.

Shaka54

FKA Shaka38
Platinum Member
Finished season 1 of Hacks. Liked how they ended the season, as they've been renewed for a 2nd season already. They do a good job balancing the dramatic with the comedic. Enough time for character development too.

2 episodes left for The Serpent. It's been consistently good throughout.

Checked out the 1st ep of season 2 of Black Summer. Love the frantic energy of the show. For those who enjoyed season 1 and are planning to check out this new season ... friendly reminder ... go back and read some episode recaps, or check out some of the season 1 recaps on Youtube. Just to re-familiarize yourself with some of the storylines and characters, as season 1 aired way back in April of 2019. Here's some helpful links below.

I just binged on it overnight and then War of the Worlds Season 1.
There were a few episodes that knotted up my forehead, just like last season. Those WTF are you doing/thinking moments. :hmm:

:lol::lol::lol:

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
I just binged on it overnight and then War of the Worlds Season 1.
There were a few episodes that knotted up my forehead, just like last season. Those WTF are you doing/thinking moments. :hmm:

:lol::lol::lol:

Definitely a wild show. I love when the camera gets right up close. Ramps up the tension and claustrophobic feel.

:cheers:

GAMETHEORY

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Underground Railroad:

Finished it yesterday and its not easy watch. I haven’t been as simultaneously moved by a TV show in for many years.
The cinematography as well—every frame of this show was off the chain and could be a painting (I read Jenkins has used the same guy for almost all of his films).

The subject matter of course is tough to watch but I really appreciated the artistry of it. What is remarkably different in The Underground Railway as opposed to Uncle Tom's Cabin is the lack of white perspective-Uncle Tom's relies heavily on white responses to slavery, rather than black responses. The whites that help Cora are reluctant or obscure.

Shaka54

FKA Shaka38
Platinum Member
How was War of the Worlds too, Shaka?
It's decent but I had those same type of moments of, "Why would you not take that bicycle and ride instead of walking?" and leaving weapons laying around to evade a threat.
The story arc of Sasha was different and caught me off guard and it was good to have him work his issues out.

I enjoyed it a lot, but sometimes movies irritate me with some of the actions taken or decisions made that don't seem to be common sense at all, but it's used for character development, etc.

I watched Season 1 on Prime, but Season 2 is on Epix for a subscription at the moment. I'll definitely check it out once Amazon gets it.

Shaka54

FKA Shaka38
Platinum Member
Underground Railroad:

Finished it yesterday and its not easy watch. I haven’t been as simultaneously moved by a TV show in for many years.
The cinematography as well—every frame of this show was off the chain and could be a painting (I read Jenkins has used the same guy for almost all of his films).

The subject matter of course is tough to watch but I really appreciated the artistry of it. What is remarkably different in The Underground Railway as opposed to Uncle Tom's Cabin is the lack of white perspective-Uncle Tom's relies heavily on white responses to slavery, rather than black responses. The whites that help Cora are reluctant or obscure.
I just started with the first two episodes so far and I can concur with you Bruv.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
It's decent but I had those same type of moments of, "Why would you not take that bicycle and ride instead of walking?" and leaving weapons laying around to evade a threat.
The story arc of Sasha was different and caught me off guard and it was good to have him work his issues out.

I enjoyed it a lot, but sometimes movies irritate me with some of the actions taken or decisions made that don't seem to be common sense at all, but it's used for character development, etc.

I watched Season 1 on Prime, but Season 2 is on Epix for a subscription at the moment. I'll definitely check it out once Amazon gets it.

Thanks for the intel. Sounds good and good point re: decisions made to further character development, which may not make the most sense at first glance. Don’t have Prime here, but I believe my mom caught and enjoyed most of season 1. Believe she watched it via CBC or one of their additional platforms with extra programming. She just started checking out Hacks. Liked what she has seen thus far.

slam

aka * My Name Is Not $lam *
Super Moderator
Evil season 2 started ...

how was season 1 ...any reviews...?

9f765016b2760487d08d7b7cf1cbe204.png

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Mr Inbetween is a great show on FX or Hulu i hope the series which is sadly ending doesnt end the way i think it will.
Im shocked Scott Ryan hasnt been in a lot of films and TV shows.

Thanks JBlaze - I've heard good things about the show. Strong aggregate ratings at RT and Metacritic ...

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Friendly reminder that season 2 of Black Summer drops later this week, BGOL fam'.

It's worth a watch and easy to get through ... short season & episodes. Here's the trailers for season 1 and 2.

Running time20–44 minutes
Black Summer is a Canadian streaming television series created by Karl Schaefer and John Hyams. The first season, consisting of 8 episodes, was released on Netflix on April 11, 2019. The series is produced by The Asylum, the same production company behind Z Nation, and is written and directed primarily by Hyams, with Abram Cox writing and directing additional episodes. Jaime King stars in the lead role as Rose, a mother who is separated from her daughter during the earliest and most deadly days of a zombie apocalypse. The series garnered moderate approval from critics. Many of the filming locations are in Calgary, Alberta in Canada. In November 2019, Netflix renewed the series for an eight-episode second season.[1] The second season will be released on June 17, 2021.[2]

enjoy this show as just a a crazy summer series.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

Jean Smart opens up about death of husband Richard Gilliland while she was filming Hacks

Smart reveals she had to film a scene not long after her husband's passing.
By Jolie Lash
June 20, 2021 at 08:06 PM EDT

Jean Smart is opening up about the loss of her husband, Richard Gilliland, who died while she was filming season 1 of her HBO comedy series, Hacks.

Smart brought up her late husband when asked if she had considered penning a memoir during a recent interview with The New Yorker.
While actress, who also played Kate Winslet's memorable mother in Mare of Easttown, said she doesn't have plans for a memoir, she did mention Gilliland, whom she met while filming Designing Women. After acknowledging she'd "been through some personal things in the last year that" she could want to write about someday, Smart revealed that she had to do a funeral scene for Hacks not long after her husband's death.

"You know, I feel like I just should say something about my husband, because he passed away very unexpectedly. I still had a week of Hacks left to do. That was hard. I had to do a funeral scene," Smart said.

There was a funeral scene in the Hacks finale where - spoiler alert! - her character, Deborah, drove across country to attend Ava's dad's funeral, and it was an important character moment for the show.

"I was a wreck, but it actually turned out to be very funny," Smart said, before praising the talents of her late husband. "But he was one of those actors who never got the chance to really show what he could do. A couple of times on stage, he did. But he really sacrificed his career for me to be able to take advantage of my opportunities. I wouldn't have all this if it wasn't for him."

Gilliland died on March 18 in Los Angeles following a brief illness, according to a statement from his family. The pair met when Gilliland played Annie Pott's boyfriend on Designing Women, and they later worked together on 24, with Gilliland as Captain Stan Cotter and Smart as First Lady Martha Logan, as well as in the TV movies Just My Imagination and Audrey's Rain.

"It's been really weird. It's not anything I ever dreamed would happen. Not so soon," Smart told The New Yorker. "He made me laugh all the time. That's going to be hard to live without."

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
enjoy this show as just a a crazy summer series.

Been trying to get my brother to watch the series. They do a good portion of filming in Calgary. He has friends there, and his ex-gf lives there so he may recognize some of the filming locations. Especially near the end of last season. Pretty sure they were in and around the CFL stadium for the Stampeders. Also, some of the prior Fargo seasons filmed in parts of Calgary.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Been trying to get my brother to watch the series. They do a good portion of filming in Calgary. He has friends there, and his ex-gf lives there so he may recognize some of the filming locations. Especially near the end of last season. Pretty sure they were in and around the CFL stadium for the Stampeders. Also, some of the prior Fargo seasons filmed in parts of Calgary.

the locations are BEAUTIFUL

and the camera work and editing is AMAZING to me

I love the look and they mood they are able to create

Its FUN and legit jump scares and unpredictability

the first 15 minutes of the second season first episode to me is some of the best work I have seen in this genre EVER

and a PERFECT explanation of the ENTIRE premise of the show.

Its a pure adrenaline rush and forces yo DIRECTLY into the action/story

I can debate EVERY character decision and motivation

More so than Walking Dead you feel like your a PART of the story and connect more viscerally with the characters.

ALL that being said

It isn't the BEST show and there is a whole of logic fails

but I like that they KNOW who they ARE and stick to it as best possible.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
the locations are BEAUTIFUL

and the camera work and editing is AMAZING to me

I love the look and they mood they are able to create

Its FUN and legit jump scares and unpredictability

the first 15 minutes of the second season first episode to me is some of the best work I have seen in this genre EVER

and a PERFECT explanation of the ENTIRE premise of the show.

Its a pure adrenaline rush and forces yo DIRECTLY into the action/story

I can debate EVERY character decision and motivation

More so than Walking Dead you feel like your a PART of the story and connect more viscerally with the characters.

ALL that being said

It isn't the BEST show and there is a whole of logic fails

but I like that they KNOW who they ARE and stick to it as best possible.

Well said. It’s interesting seeing the snowy conditions this season as well. As we’re all used to the hot and humid shooting locales for years with
TWD.

We’ve been watching it concurrently with The Serpent which is based between 1969 - 1976. Lots of timeline jumps there as well. Which
can be frustrating at first, but you can appreciate thereafter as you pay attention more and discuss who’s what, when and where. Had to brush up a bit on episode 1 characters for Black Summer s2. Having watched s1 over 2 years ago.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Well said. It’s interesting seeing the snowy conditions this season as well. As we’re all used to the hot and humid shooting locales for years with
TWD.

We’ve been watching it concurrently with The Serpent which is based between 1969 - 1976. Lots of timeline jumps there as well. Which
can be frustrating at first, but you can appreciate thereafter as you pay attention more
and discuss who’s what, when and where. Had to brush up a bit on episode 1 characters for Black Summer s2. Having watched s1 over 2 years ago.

It has interesting how so many do NOT like the time jumps

I feel like it has become a very common storytelling device for years now...

I mean damn...since Roshamon

popularized I guess probably by Tarantino in Pulp Fiction and Later LOST

and yeah it can be used poorly and too much but I felt in this SPECIFIC show Black Summer used it well ( a LITTLE much and unnecessarily) for the most part

And its become it signature

I do like when shows try to be different.