What unpopular opinions do you have? Hip-Hop/Rap edition

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Best record label logos, in my order from 1 to …….

DuckDownMusicLogo2011.jpg

Death-Row-Records-logo-1280x720.jpeg.jpg

st,small,507x507-pad,600x600,f8f8f8.jpg

st,small,845x845-pad,1000x1000,f8f8f8.jpg

Loud-Records.png

NS0zMzcxLmpwZWc.jpeg

Tommy_Boy_Logo.jpg

MjM0LnBuZw.jpeg
images
images

Reactions: cnc

Darkness's

" Jackie Reinhart is a lady.."
Registered
How old are you?
What do you mean career suicide?
No one cares that these raps are fake dude.
The raps ALWAYS been fake.
If ross was outed during the mid 90s era of gangsta rap when street cred meant every thing that would've been definite career suicide. Look at his quick vanilla ice 15 minutes of fame was up when he was exposed for not really being from Miami.

Reactions: cnc

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
If ross was outed during the mid 90s era of gangsta rap when street cred meant every thing that would've been definite career suicide. Look at his quick vanilla ice 15 minutes of fame was up when he was exposed for not really being from Miami.
Vanilla ice was exposed for not being some kind of gangbanger associate with a rap sheet.

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

KRS-One Calls Out Grammy's Hip-Hop 50 Event For "Exploiting" The Culture​

KRS-One has never shied away from expressing his opinion, no matter how dogmatic or controversial it may be. In the case of the Grammy’s Hip-Hop 50 celebration, the proud culture conservationist didn’t hold back his feelings either. Sitting down for a recent interview, the Hip-Hop architect was asked about the event and what he thought about it. Anybody who’s familiar with KRS-One knows they are going to get a thorough answer—and he certainly delivered.

For starters, KRS-One revealed he got a call from LL COOL J asking him to participate at the event and instantly declined. While he admitted he’s “insane with this culture,” he noted he remembers Hip-Hop as being something “sacred.” And, judging by his comments, he feels it’s no longer being treated as such...

“I carry myself in a certain way because I know who I am in this culture,” he says. “You’re in the temple of Hip-Hop. This is our home. This institution can never side with, come under, understand the exploitation of our culture. Never will you ever see me standing in the environment while our culture is being exploited. Or, if you do see me there, the next moment this thing’s gonna fall. I’m there to bring this sh## down.”

He continued, “So when I got the call, I immediately say nah. First of all, it’s the Grammys? You get no respect here. None. Now, we respect your existence. We know you exist and we know you’re the Grammys. We understand, and we respect that. Your existence. But you ignored Hip-Hop for 49 years. At the 50th year, you wanna call us? The 50th year? That’s when you call? You wait ’til the 50th year to wanna call Hip-H0p’s authentic teacher? Nah, you don’t get that privilege.”

KRS-One also laid out what Hip-Hop is at its root and lamented the fact that so many people seem to have forgotten.

“What we know as Hip-Hop is breaking, MCing, graffiti art and DJing,” he added. “Now, we can argue these other ones, but we know for certain that what we call Hip-Hop is breaking, MCing, graffiti and DJing. We’ve all agreed on that. So what is all this other stuff? What is this other stuff that you’re calling Hip-Hop? That’s not Hip-Hop […] Hip-Hop wasn’t there. Rappers were there. Very respected rappers were there. But it wasn’t Hip-Hop because Hip-Hop would have got on that mic and said, ‘F### the Grammys.'”

Questlove recently talked about whose “no” hurt him the most via Twitter (X)— “MC Hammer.” He said, “We really wanted him to have his flowers. We begged him to open.”

Pete Rock cosigned KRS-One’s sentiments with an Instagram post in which he wrote, “Some of yall aint gon like this. What burns me is to hear people say how good this show was lol. Not when you missed 60% of major artist and producers and DJ’s,thats not a complete hip hop 50 show. You know what? smh go siddown or sum. i know Real Historians did not appreciate what they saw if they even saw it. #rp @iamnikkid__ Stop playing with #HIPHOP it’s a culture not a rapper! @teacha_krsone I LOVE YOU!! You always respectfully put things in perspective! #Thisishiphop #Krsone #grammys #scammys2023.”

I have to agree with Krs on this one.. the CULTURE of hip hop has been subverted and perverted for a long time.

Simply Sickenin'

Valar Morghulis ....
BGOL Investor
Are we still posting unpopular opinions?

Here's my unpopular opinion. Master P is responsible for the death of hip hop. If it wasn't for him that southern hip hop trash from the early 2000's would have never been accepted as normal. And all that garbage that followed from then until right now would have never existed. Drake would have been forced to make good music. There would be no Lil Wayne. Etc., etc.
lil-john-lil.gif

I thought that was Lil' Jon & the Eastside Boyz cross over success into the MTV crowd that brought that Southern style of beats over lyrics hip hop into the mainstream.

Walter Panov

Rising Star
Registered
Care to elaborate. Not disagreeing with you necessarily, but this is discussion thread.

I'd like to hear your take on where modern-day mainstream hip hop went wrong.
Master P had the funding to transform that type of hip hop a reality for the mainstream. Lil Jon was just one of many artists. A tool. Master P was the entrepreneur that pushed it.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Dj Premier & Pete Rock were substantially more valuable to their groups than Guru & CL Smooth. GOAT producers that didn't have lyricist up to par with the level of their production.

I completely disagree.

But I understand your position

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Its not easy but in MANY cases we must be able to seperate the art from the ARTIST.

because I refuse to just cast aside and forget some of the happiest most formative moments of life

Again not in ALL cases

But damn it

This didn't teach me about abusing raping or drugging women

It taught be that I wanted to be a good son and even better father and husband.

It also taught me to idolize someone I don't know. I can admire the ACTS and not necessarily the acter.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
I still can't believe somehow someway that all these so called moguls from West South and East couldn't create their OWN distribution. Trust I know these white folks would have ratcheted burn it all down first, still.

Master P independent record store network, Short and E 40 out the trunk, Draper, Puff, Suge, Gotti, Dame, Dee & Wa, etc

They were bringing on guns knives rats snakes up to those offices

The money connections influence network fan base.

But couldn't collaborate to create their own distribution?

Sidebar...

All these dudes but Dame will die before saying a bad word publicly about these white executives who took ALL they money. Even decades later. WHY?

Simply Sickenin'

Valar Morghulis ....
BGOL Investor
Master P had the funding to transform that type of hip hop a reality for the mainstream. Lil Jon was just one of many artists. A tool. Master P was the entrepreneur that pushed it.
I can see that.
P definitely lead the way in terms of the business accliment. A lot of rap labels in the 90s only existed because dudes copied Master P's blueprint.

I'd put more on Lil' Jon and the whole crunk era for the dip in rap quality. No Limit was big, but only in the hood. The biggest crossover hit outta No Limit Record was probably 'Ain't My Fault' and P ain't even on that track.

Meanwhile between 2000 and about 2006 3 out of every 5 songs on the radio were likely featuring Lil' Jon, produced by Lil' Jon, or was just flat trying to steal that Lil' Jon crunk juice style.

Just think about how many
mumble-mouth, 5x white tee wearing, none rapping ass dudes from the South had hit records in the early 2000s off the strength of a single Lil' Jon style crunk song with a dance.

People took all the wrong lesson from the era. Mainly that all you need is a hot beat and a dance. Lyrics be damned.

Simply Sickenin'

Valar Morghulis ....
BGOL Investor
Not an opinion, more of question.
At what point did it become standard for rappers to short-change their 16 on features?

Especially on R&B features, rappers drop 8 maybe 10 bars then go running back to the hook for safety.

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Its not easy but in MANY cases we must be able to seperate the art from the ARTIST.

because I refuse to just cast aside and forget some of the happiest most formative moments of life

Again not in ALL cases

But damn it

This didn't teach me about abusing raping or drugging women

It taught be that I wanted to be a good son and even better father and husband.

It also taught me to idolize someone I don't know. I can admire the ACTS and not necessarily the acter.

Allegedly.

Darkness's

" Jackie Reinhart is a lady.."
Registered
Are we still posting unpopular opinions?

Here's my unpopular opinion. Master P is responsible for the death of hip hop. If it wasn't for him that southern hip hop trash from the early 2000's would have never been accepted as normal. And all that garbage that followed from then until right now would have never existed. Drake would have been forced to make good music. There would be no Lil Wayne. Etc., etc.
Southern hip hop was a thing before master p blew up. Ugk, outkast , goodie, Mystikal gheto boys etc was all there before master p.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Not an opinion, more of question.
At what point did it become standard for rappers to short-change their 16 on features?

Especially on R&B features, rappers drop 8 maybe 10 bars then go running back to the hook for safety.

Well especially because of R&B remix

Radio mixes effected how long verses should be because airtime and playlists were so valuable

And remember in the clubs DJs ain't play the whole record

Even on mix tapes because of blends verses got cropped

So verses got shorter and shorted and more about getting the ear QUICK and memorable instead 16 bars or better.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Got damn.... Lots to agree with here.

Little Brother helped me with my hip hop fix in college. Top 5 is tough...Wu, The Roots, ATCQ, Gangstarr, BlackStar, Kast....

Still catching up on back episodes of this podcast.

Listening to the Little Brother episode below while cooking lunch at the moment ...