What unpopular opinions do you have? Hip-Hop/Rap edition

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Another couple:
-A rapper’s street legitimacy went out the window as a variable for their career when Rick Ross was outed as as a former CO and no one really blinked an eye because he’d had a couple of hit albums.

-Drake is not a top 10 rapper but will end up a top 10 rapper due to longevity. He shows no signs of slowing down, has been in the game 15+ years and still is an A-lister.
whats street legitimacy?

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
IMO, the more famous Drake got, the worst he became. His mixtape era was dope.

I don't know how I missed this but Unclr Chuck... you really need me to post the like 20 number one hits? The time stamp records? The features? Just the 10 years AFTER the mixture of hits?

We can't try to conflate his entire career to his sound now. That isn't fair of any artist of any genre.

And remember what Jay Z

You spent your whole life up to that point writing your FIRST SONG AND ALBUM.

cnc

BGOL vet down since the “56k stay out!” days
BGOL Gold Member
whats street legitimacy?
Let’s use Ross for an example. He made his name rapping about selling dope. Got outed for being a CO, which used to be career suicide. Instead, it didn’t do a thing to his career, he actually got bigger as an artist.

Legitimacy, street cred, however you want to describe it, basically, a rapper doing or having actually done the shit in the streets that they rhyme about.

Last edited:

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Let’s use Ross for an example. He made his name rapping about selling dope. Got outed for being a CO, which used to be career suicide. Instead, it didn’t do a thing to his career, he actually got bigger as an artist.

Legitimacy, street cred, however you want to describe it, basically, a rapper doing or having actually done the shit in the streets that they rhyme about.

I dunno if him being a CO in a prison exempts him from being a drug dealer :giggle: maybe not in the manner he described but as corrupt as prison guards can be....:dunno::dunno: but I digress....

In the 70s and 80s rap/hip hop culture was sold as the anthesis of the streets.. an alternative to the worst aspects of the street and gangbanging. In the last 30 years, its become indistinguishable.

Street cred BEFORE the rise of gangster rap was essentially about your skill and how well known you were for it. Did you play the block parties and area clubs in your neighborhood? Did you do the school dances and park jams? Did you do the battles and corner ciphers? What's your MC reputation in your area? (which is why Will Smith is MORE of a legit MC than his detractors will ever know becuz he DID those things)

THAT'S street cred (note it's about your RAP and MC SKILLS)

After gangster rap and vanilla ice... I would say that between him and NWA they both changed what "street cred" meant in hip-hop..
vanilla ice had a fabricated past.... after his ONE hit blew up all he talked about was some criminal past and hanging with gangbangers... his press package (yeah the nigga said that shit in his press package) stressed all this criminal behavior bullshit.

And after the rise of NWA all hardcore rappers started talking about is life in the "hood" as if its some kind of safari trip and suddenly street cred became how many times you've been arrested? How many people have you robbed? how much drugs have you sold? What gang are you affiliated with? Note NONE of those questions talks about any rap or MC skills at all.

So what youre saying shows how hip hop/rap DEVOLVED into the very thing it was supposed to be an alternative to.

durham

Rising Star
Platinum Member
No one told you about Benjamin Banneker
A brilliant Black man that invented the almanac
Can't you see where KRS is coming at
With Elie Whitney, Haile Selassie
Granville Woods made the walkie talkie
Lewis Lattimer improved on Edison
Charles Drew did a lot for medicine
Garrett Morgan made the traffic lights
Harriett Tubman freed the slaves at night
Madame CJ Walker made a straightin comb
But you won't know this is you weren't shown.
Even KRS One can be factually incorrect. Not as bad as Nas "I Can", but Eli Whitney was a white man.

That album was, and still is classic material.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
I might be slowly crawling back.
Realized I have too much blank space in my brain when not coming up with rhymes lol

hallelujah-glory.gif

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Name them cause I know you ain't talm bout 3 6 , bone and twista

Oh hells no, But that ain't Em style that's the harmony speed rap they were beefing over for decades to the point even Treach got mixed up in it.

You know darn well what Eminem style I'm talking about. His clones still walking around today.

doug777

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Even KRS One can be factually incorrect.
Dude wrote a song about knowing your history, he then told his listeners, that the man who was most responsible for the expansion of the slave trade, was a Black man. When he performs, does he still use that line? I've never heard him address, his mistake.

Walter Panov

Rising Star
Registered
Are we still posting unpopular opinions?

Here's my unpopular opinion. Master P is responsible for the death of hip hop. If it wasn't for him that southern hip hop trash from the early 2000's would have never been accepted as normal. And all that garbage that followed from then until right now would have never existed. Drake would have been forced to make good music. There would be no Lil Wayne. Etc., etc.

Darkness's

" Jackie Reinhart is a lady.."
Registered
Even KRS One can be factually incorrect. Not as bad as Nas "I Can", but Eli Whitney was a white man.

That album was, and still is classic material.
I remember watching that video on YouTube mtv raps in the 6th grade. I didn't know who eli Whitley was until 7th grade.

TENT

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

How old are you?
What do you mean career suicide?
No one cares that these raps are fake dude.
The raps ALWAYS been fake.