Why Black people never want to teach you how to play spades.

KoolJay

Vidi Veni Vici
BGOL Investor
he fucked up the karma when he cut your winner. not a smart move.
Not sayin that's why he is in the Clink now, but He is in the Clink Now... LOL... I do Love my Baby Bro. I can honestly say that he just got caught up on some "dumb shyt" again... Love him doe, would give me a kidney if I needed it.... No questions... He did tell me he has gotten better since he has been locked up doe.... LOL

2Klub

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Played enough to know that I don't start until everyone at the table knows exactly what the trumps cards are.

What's wild, I can play Bid decently but I always forget the rules. Don't play it enough and never fully understood how the bidding worked.

Temujin

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
The first card game I learned how to play was Pinochole with my grandma and her sisters from there spades is a breeze. But if ya'll ain't never play card games with old black women ain't no talking once them cards get dealt to when the last card is played no funny shit and you best remember what's been played. If you can remember what cards have been played and are able to strategize around that you will beat most people in most card games.

ZuluSam

Rising Star
Platinum Member
The first card game I learned how to play was Pinochole with my grandma and her sisters from there spades is a breeze. But if ya'll ain't never play card games with old black women ain't no talking once them cards get dealt to when the last card is played no funny shit and you best remember what's been played. If you can remember what cards have been played and are able to strategize around that you will beat most people in most card games.

Damn...I forgot that one...used to play it with my old uncles....and who remembers Tunk?

darth frosty

Dark Lord of the Sith
BGOL Investor

brief tutorial ⬇️ #Spades
Sooooo, the game is usually played with two partnerships. The object of the game is for you and your partner to collect more books (or tricks is the formal name) than your opponents. If you are taking score the team who reaches the selected score (usually 500) wins ⬇️
To start, the dealer deals 13 cards to each player. Now there are 52 cards in a deck + 2 jokers. Black people usually play with jokers, so that means we instead take out two of the 2’s (either ♥️♣️♦️). But in a basic game, we would remove the jokers, making the Ace the highest ⬇️

Quite naturally, as the game is called “Spades”, they are the trump suit, which means they out rank every other suit in the deck. In a basic game, the A♠️ is the highest card you can play. (If using jokers, your big & little jokers are the top ranking cards).

Ya’ll following?
Alright, so now that all 4 players have been dealt 13 cards (And please count to make sure that you have 13 cards… Don’t wait until is the last round to realize that maybe you don’t have the proper amount of cards in your hand) it’s time to bid your hand ⬇️
Bidding is where you look at your cards and guess how many books you think you can successfully make over your opponents (notice I said opponents- NOT PARTNER). You can legally bid any number from 0-13. (But if you say something outrageous, you better back it up)! ⬇️
There are only 13 books that can be made in the entire game, so bid wisely! In a basic game where the A♠️ is the highest card , you want to consider your high cards (A, K, Q, J) as books you can make. You also want to pay attention to how many cards you have in a given suit ⬇️
Example: in this hand (with A♠️ being highest card), you could successfully bid the Q♠️, K♣️, & Q♣️ as books you could make. Therefore, you would bid 3.

(Advanced ppl could get 4 & a possible but this ain’t about ya’ll)

Still following?

Alright, so everyone is going to go through the bidding process. But remember you and your partner are a team. So in the example above, if you bid 3 and your partner bids 3, that means together you must make 6 books to not be whats called “set.” ⬇️
After you all bid, the game begins with the person left of the dealer going first. They can play any card they want (except a spades. Being the trump suit, they have to be “cut” in - I’ll explain later).

Each player goes and the person who plays the highest card wins that book.
1. You MUST play the suit that led that round. Even if that means you’ll lose the book. If you don’t, that called reneging and THAT will get you fucked up. ‍♀️

2. If you do not have the suit that led, but you have a spade, you can play it. That’s called “cutting” ⬇️
Once spades have been cut in, they are free to be played at any time.

One major component to this game is paying attention to the board and realizing what has been played. It will help you know when you should or shouldn’t cut. ⬇️
Example: if there is 4♥️, 8❤️ and a J❤️ on the board and you don’t have anymore hearts BUT your partner is the person who played that J on the board, DO NOT PLAY A SPADE. Instead you do what’s called “throwing off” since your partner is going to win that book.

Still with me? ⬇️

Throwing off is simply playing another card of any other suit on your hand that’s not a spade.

The ONLY time cutting your partner is acceptable is a.) you are trump tight, meaning no other suit’s in your hand but ♠️ or b.) you have no other choice (only card left in that suit)
The game continues until all 13 cards have been played. The team that collects the most books wins that hand and the team to reach the final pre- set score (500) wins.

Things to keep in mind when playing with Black ppl⬇️
#1- don’t talk across the board. Imma take 3 of your books and you might catch these hands

#2- DO NOT RENEGE. I can’t stress this enough. FURNITURE WILL MOVE and I am will not be held responsible

#3- Dont overbid. But don’t underbid. Keep it about what you got. ⬇️
If you follow these instructions you should be able to play a basic game of spades. The more you play, the better you’ll get it. You will become better at strategizing, reading the board, and can then incorporate various alternatives to the standard rules of play. #Spades

Last edited:

darth frosty

Dark Lord of the Sith
BGOL Investor
69315729_10100648556096512_1953436810818355200_n.jpg

Man_Of_STeeL

鋼鉄の人 - より似たチタン
Platinum Member
i learned the basic rules but never progressed past that...

i tried playin' online about a decade ago...and i was gettin' my ass handed to me...i don't think i won one game...

same thing with dominoes...

it's fun to play but i don't have the time nor the energy to dedicate to becoming skilled at it...

TimRock

Don't let me be misunderstood
BGOL Investor
i learned the basic rules but never progressed past that...

i tried playin' online about a decade ago...and i was gettin' my ass handed to me...i don't think i won one game...

same thing with dominoes...

it's fun to play but i don't have the time nor the energy to dedicate to becoming skilled at it...
really doesn't take much to become skilled in spades. you learn from mistakes and watching what others do. If you play a few games with experienced people, it's kind of hard not to pick up on how to get better.

TimRock

Don't let me be misunderstood
BGOL Investor

brief tutorial ⬇ #Spades
Sooooo, the game is usually played with two partnerships. The object of the game is for you and your partner to collect more books (or tricks is the formal name) than your opponents. If you are taking score the team who reaches the selected score (usually 500) wins ⬇
To start, the dealer deals 13 cards to each player. Now there are 52 cards in a deck + 2 jokers. Black people usually play with jokers, so that means we instead take out two of the 2’s (either ♥♣♦). But in a basic game, we would remove the jokers, making the Ace the highest ⬇

Quite naturally, as the game is called “Spades”, they are the trump suit, which means they out rank every other suit in the deck. In a basic game, the A♠ is the highest card you can play. (If using jokers, your big & little jokers are the top ranking cards).

Ya’ll following?
Alright, so now that all 4 players have been dealt 13 cards (And please count to make sure that you have 13 cards… Don’t wait until is the last round to realize that maybe you don’t have the proper amount of cards in your hand) it’s time to bid your hand ⬇
Bidding is where you look at your cards and guess how many books you think you can successfully make over your opponents (notice I said opponents- NOT PARTNER). You can legally bid any number from 0-13. (But if you say something outrageous, you better back it up)! ⬇
There are only 13 books that can be made in the entire game, so bid wisely! In a basic game where the A♠ is the highest card , you want to consider your high cards (A, K, Q, J) as books you can make. You also want to pay attention to how many cards you have in a given suit ⬇
Example: in this hand (with A♠ being highest card), you could successfully bid the Q♠, K♣, & Q♣ as books you could make. Therefore, you would bid 3.

(Advanced ppl could get 4 & a possible but this ain’t about ya’ll)

Still following?

Alright, so everyone is going to go through the bidding process. But remember you and your partner are a team. So in the example above, if you bid 3 and your partner bids 3, that means together you must make 6 books to not be whats called “set.” ⬇
After you all bid, the game begins with the person left of the dealer going first. They can play any card they want (except a spades. Being the trump suit, they have to be “cut” in - I’ll explain later).

Each player goes and the person who plays the highest card wins that book.
1. You MUST play the suit that led that round. Even if that means you’ll lose the book. If you don’t, that called reneging and THAT will get you fucked up. ‍♀

2. If you do not have the suit that led, but you have a spade, you can play it. That’s called “cutting” ⬇
Once spades have been cut in, they are free to be played at any time.

One major component to this game is paying attention to the board and realizing what has been played. It will help you know when you should or shouldn’t cut. ⬇
Example: if there is 4♥, 8❤ and a J❤ on the board and you don’t have anymore hearts BUT your partner is the person who played that J on the board, DO NOT PLAY A SPADE. Instead you do what’s called “throwing off” since your partner is going to win that book.

Still with me? ⬇

Throwing off is simply playing another card of any other suit on your hand that’s not a spade.

The ONLY time cutting your partner is acceptable is a.) you are trump tight, meaning no other suit’s in your hand but ♠ or b.) you have no other choice (only card left in that suit)
The game continues until all 13 cards have been played. The team that collects the most books wins that hand and the team to reach the final pre- set score (500) wins.

Things to keep in mind when playing with Black ppl⬇
#1- don’t talk across the board. Imma take 3 of your books and you might catch these hands

#2- DO NOT RENEGE. I can’t stress this enough. FURNITURE WILL MOVE and I am will not be held responsible

#3- Dont overbid. But don’t underbid. Keep it about what you got. ⬇
If you follow these instructions you should be able to play a basic game of spades. The more you play, the better you’ll get it. You will become better at strategizing, reading the board, and can then incorporate various alternatives to the standard rules of play. #Spades

sounds about right, but i remove the 2 of heart and club. I have played both ways where the 2 of diamond is the high card after both jokers, or where its not worth anything, makine the 2 of spade next in line after the jokers.

TheFuser

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
really doesn't take much to become skilled in spades. you learn from mistakes and watching what others do. If you play a few games with experienced people, it's kind of hard not to pick up on how to get better.

The rules are basic. It's bidding that can be difficult for new players. You gotta know if your partner is new, chances are they're under bidding. And also, chances are they're counting that King of Diamonds in their hand as a book while also having five other Diamonds. Shit like that is what they don't know yet.

Between bidding and watching the board to remember what played and what hasn't, that's thr shit that frustrates me most with new players. But it all comes from experience.

darth frosty

Dark Lord of the Sith
BGOL Investor
The rules are basic. It's bidding that can be difficult for new players. You gotta know if your partner is new, chances are they're under bidding. And also, chances are they're counting that King of Diamonds in their hand as a book while also having five other Diamonds. Shit like that is what they don't know yet.

Between bidding and watching the board to remember what played and what hasn't, that's thr shit that frustrates me most with new players. But it all comes from experience.

Aww Skeet Skeet!

The antithesis of nonsense.
BGOL Investor
I'm sorry Im too old to teach ppl how to play spades

I don't even wanna be around ppl who don't know how to play spades i look at them in disgust

Ok i have a confession i never learned how to do the electric slide

I mean, it's not that damn hard to play spades (Ace of spades high). Now, the house rules, JJ2, etc, which changes depending on who and where you're playing...I can see that being confusing for a beginner.

Oh and YouTube can help with the Electric slide, man. No BGOLien left behind. That's my theme for 2022.

Shaka54

FKA Shaka38
Platinum Member
Played enough to know that I don't start until everyone at the table knows exactly what the trumps cards are.

What's wild, I can play Bid decently but I always forget the rules. Don't play it enough and never fully understood how the bidding worked.
^^^^This. My wife was a muhfucka a Bid too though.

praetor

Rising Star
OG Investor
I got 6 and a P potna, whatchu got?

Go'n over there to the Dominoe table then, and you BET not fuck that up either. :lol:

I see about 4. The big joker is a guaranteed book, the ace of clubs is another book, then you'll get a couple from cutting clubs.

That king of hearts will get eaten by the Ace. Someone might be cutting diamonds by the time you get the chance to play the king.

Shaka54

FKA Shaka38
Platinum Member
I see about 4. The big joker is a guaranteed book, the ace of clubs is another book, then you'll get a couple from cutting clubs.

That king of hearts will get eaten by the Ace. Someone might be cutting diamonds by the time you get the chance to play the king.
Because you only have the King of Hearts, you gonna get 2-3 books depending on how the rest are distributed; you only have two Clubs and one is the Ace, so you're gonna get 2-3 out of that suit; you're heavier on Diamonds but you wait for that Ace to be played and hope not to be cut when you play that King (I have 4 but there are 8 more out there); and finally the Big Joker.

Depending on who and how you're playing, you COULD make 7 books out of this hand, and if your partner had 3...Good Lawd, they gone have hell to pay. :lol:

PDQ21

Rising Star
Platinum Member
fuck spades.....

black folk take that shit too serious anyway...ive seen way too many arguments....fights....near fights.....tables flipped etc....

again: fuck spades
Lmao lmao i try to stay away from playing the last 5 yrs i rather just enjoy the get together/cookout

PDQ21

Rising Star
Platinum Member
My best friend told me I have to come over for memorial day so we can take down his aunt and cousin.

:lol2:
My sister and her kids father want revenge on me and my mother cause we spanked the ass back in Nov. Lol i send a picture i took with the final score and i send it in the group chat a few times like WINNERS GONNA WIN and losers gonna lose

Not giving them their rematch because i didn't even wanna play they talked me into it by poppin shit cause my mother was suppose to play with her man but they were talking so much shit i had to show them even tho i don't play often I'm still that nigga

kdogg3270

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
That at least 5-6 books.

Strong.
yep.
a couple points here.
1. if you're leading off and you win with the Ace of clubs, you COULD throw that king of hearts out there.
if it walks you know that your partner is holding it, if it gets eaten (by the Ace) , then you get to cut that suit.
i'd force to person on my left to win the book (hopefully that person threw the ace), then you get to come back and cut that suit if the person comes back with it.
2. since you'll be cutting 2 suits, some of those lower spades are gonna walk
alot depends on what kind of partner u got
the scariest thing in spades is when u got a partner that knows you as well as you know them.
when you know each other's tendencies and thought patterns.
run everybody the fuck off the table

PDQ21

Rising Star
Platinum Member
If it's MY play, that's the card I'm leading with to SEE if my partner has the ACE and if not, it's low trump cutting if my partner ain't got no high cards. If I get the indication that my partner DOES have some high cards, I'm playing off with the excess Diamonds in my hand.
This is the way to play

That lets ya partner know what it is from the jump so even if he don't have it when he do get a book he needs to come back to hearts

kdogg3270

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
This is the way to play

That lets ya partner know what it is from the jump so even if he don't have it when he do get a book he needs to come back to hearts
an older cat cut me into that way of thinking back in my 20s...he told me that even if you are not sure you can win the book - throw it out there with the hope that the person on your left takes it... that way you get to watch the entire table play their hand before it's your turn again. i never forgot that.

and like you said, you let your partner know what it is from the jump

PDQ21

Rising Star
Platinum Member
an older cat cut me into that way of thinking back in my 20s...he told me that even if you are not sure you can win the book - throw it out there with the hope that the person on your left takes it... that way you get to watch the entire table play their hand before it's your turn again. i never forgot that.

and like you said, you let your partner know what it is from the jump
Yall mfers got me wanting to play right now lol

I played when i was down Tampa in March which was a rematch from when i was down there in Dec.
Won in Dec but lost in March. besides those times and when i played in Nov. I stopped playing for yrs

Uno n Jenga better to play cause more ppl can play and its less arguing; ppl take Spades too serious SO DO I but i rather avoid it in the name of fun

kdogg3270

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
Yall mfers got me wanting to play right now lol

I played when i was down Tampa in March which was a rematch from when i was down there in Dec.
Won in Dec but lost in March. besides those times and when i played in Nov. I stopped playing for yrs

Uno n Jenga better to play cause more ppl can play and its less arguing; ppl take Spades too serious SO DO I but i rather avoid it in the name of fun
i've turned down being included in spades games with long time homies, mainly due to all the bullshitting/under-bidding that takes place, the arguing, all the alcohol being consumed...just don't enjoy it like i used to.

PDQ21

Rising Star
Platinum Member
I see 6 books guaranteed & 8 if you know what you doing.

Too many cards in sequence & a heavy hand of spades.
One thing i will say tho, nothing is guaranteed in spades lol

how about somebody cutting diamonds from the get go?

or they know the play because they have 6 hearts in their hand and begin to go straight into spades so at the end most of those hearts end up walking because its no spades to cut em. I done seen my homegirl ruin mfers good hands a bunch of times that way. I'm. Nice but she's NICE NICE lol she plays all yr around tho. I haven't been a consistent spades player since i left the hood in the 07