2024 Chicago Bears Season Thread

Complex

Internet Superstar
BGOL Investor
1. Fields isn't in any way comparable to Daniel Jones. Kudos to Jones agent for negotiating that deal but he isn't worth it. The maturation and growth is there. Considering what Justin brings with his arm and legs, it's worth the calculated risk to pick up his fifth year and accumulate talent. The reason why Miami and San Francisco look so good is because they have a strong supporting cast of talent around the QB. You are right though, the rookie contract helps.

I would rather get MHJ or Nabers in the draft, trade for more picks, sign a center and DE in FA.
We have over $100M in cap space next year. Even more the next year. The economic argument just doesn't hold water when you look at it closely. Even if you consider 40mil/yr being the floor, I'm confident that Poles will negotiate wisely if it comes to that.
If Justin looks the same or worse after we add talent, then we should cut our losses but having talent will make the next QB better, faster.

2. Our playmaker talent in offense is middling. DJ is good, Kemet is solid, Mooney is meh. Id love for Fields to light up the score board and have a 60% completion rate with zero turnovers. Instead of Fields taking off and running at the first sign of trouble he is scrambling behind the line of scrimmage buying time for the receivers to get open now. He does miss throws and wide open receivers, yes it is frustrating but that is part of the maturation process. We need another talented playmaker.

3. I don't trust Getsy to develop a rookie QB and considering the way they are finishing the season, the coaches jobs are safe. Last year was a tank year, I don't even count it against Justin or the coaches. DJ and Kemet were banged up today, Jenkins was out and Mooney isn't a threat to do much. Thankfully the Cardinals run defense is terrible and Getsy didn't outthink himself.

I agree Fields isn't a top 10 QB yet, but the talent is there and I feel that he is in his way.

Putting the money concern aside, do you think that there is a QB in the upcoming draft that is better than Justin? Do you think the Bears are going to fire the coaching staff? Do you trust Getsy to develop a rookie QB?

Yes Caleb Williams is better than Justin Fields. Caleb's projected to be the best QB since Lawrence if not Andrew Luck.

He is comparable to Daniel Jones. Their Qb ratings are closer together than Justin and a good QB. Both have been average QB's, who don't really pass for TD's. You have to look at what he was paid, because that is the starter contract.

What talent does CJ Stroud have around him? What talent did Lamar have when he was getting MVP? Jalen Hurts has AJ, but DeVonta hasn't proven to be a top 10 receiver. Most teams aren't San Fran or Miami with talent.

What QB have you been unsure of still after season three that suddenly became good? Year three Josh Allen was passing for over four thousand yards and getting over 30 TD's.

And what happens next year when he's average again, because Getsy is gone. Awwww....it's because the Bears got a new coordinator and/or coach and it's not fair to Justin....blah blah. Another wasted year.

Last edited:

c_commander

Up and Coming Asshole
BGOL Investor
1. Fields isn't in any way comparable to Daniel Jones. Kudos to Jones agent for negotiating that deal but he isn't worth it. The maturation and growth is there. Considering what Justin brings with his arm and legs, it's worth the calculated risk to pick up his fifth year and accumulate talent. The reason why Miami and San Francisco look so good is because they have a strong supporting cast of talent around the QB. You are right though, the rookie contract helps.

I would rather get MHJ or Nabers in the draft, trade for more picks, sign a center and DE in FA.
We have over $100M in cap space next year. Even more the next year. The economic argument just doesn't hold water when you look at it closely. Even if you consider 40mil/yr being the floor, I'm confident that Poles will negotiate wisely if it comes to that.
If Justin looks the same or worse after we add talent, then we should cut our losses but having talent will make the next QB better, faster.

2. Our playmaker talent in offense is middling. DJ is good, Kemet is solid, Mooney is meh. Id love for Fields to light up the score board and have a 60% completion rate with zero turnovers. Instead of Fields taking off and running at the first sign of trouble he is scrambling behind the line of scrimmage buying time for the receivers to get open now. He does miss throws and wide open receivers, yes it is frustrating but that is part of the maturation process. We need another talented playmaker.

3. I don't trust Getsy to develop a rookie QB and considering the way they are finishing the season, the coaches jobs are safe. Last year was a tank year, I don't even count it against Justin or the coaches. DJ and Kemet were banged up today, Jenkins was out and Mooney isn't a threat to do much. Thankfully the Cardinals run defense is terrible and Getsy didn't outthink himself.

I agree Fields isn't a top 10 QB yet, but the talent is there and I feel that he is in his way.

Putting the money concern aside, do you think that there is a QB in the upcoming draft that is better than Justin? Do you think the Bears are going to fire the coaching staff? Do you trust Getsy to develop a rookie QB?
Unfortunately there's no such thing as a sure thing when it comes to young QBs but Caleb Williams and Jayden Daniels may be able to be really good QBs. Drake Maye to a lesser extent and Michael Penix looks good at Washington but there's questions. I'm biased against Bo Nix cause I saw him fucking up at Auburn for 3 years before he transferred to Oregon

Pworld297

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Yes Caleb Williams is better than Justin Fields. Caleb's projected to be the best QB since Lawrence if not Andrew Luck.

He is comparable to Daniel Jones. Their Qb ratings are closer together than Justin and a good QB. Both have been average QB's, who don't really pass for TD's. You have to look at what he was paid, because that is the starter contract.

What talent does CJ Stroud have around him? What talent did Lamar have when he was getting MVP? Jalen Hurts has AJ, but DeVonta hasn't proven to be a top 10 receiver. Most teams aren't San Fran or Miami with talent.

What QB have you been unsure of still after season three that suddenly became good? Year three Josh Allen was passing for over four thousand yards and getting over 30 TD's.

And what happens next year when he's average again, because Getsy is gone. Awwww....it's because the Bears got a new coordinator and/or coach and it's not fair to Justin....blah blah. Another wasted year.
I still like Fields but you made solid points. If they end up with the #1 pick then they have to take Williams. At this point Fields probably better off being somewhere else.

Bruh Carolina doing everything they can to not end up with the #1 pick lol. Damn near won today. Hopefully Jacksonville and the Bucs will finish them off lol.

cnc

BGOL vet down since the “56k stay out!” days
BGOL Gold Member

Agree with everything you said.

While the economic argument against keeping Fields is legit, and the chance to draft a “generational” QB is salvaging, so is the chance to draft a generational WR in MHJ and gems like him appear once every handful of years too. Shore up the OLine (which played decent to good today) and Fields will have the opportunity to thrive.

I’m not as sold on Williams as I was at the start of the season, and Maye, off principle of wasting another top pick on a UNC QB, I can’t handle it again.

cheyisrameyah

Rising Star
Platinum Member

To answer your question about a QB I was unsure of in year 3, Aaron Rodgers at for the years. Im not comparing Rodgers to Fields but you asked. Lawrence isn't lighting up the league and Luck had to retire because he was tired of getting beat up.

Daniel Jones has never had defensive coordinators talk about him being a player to watch. He is no threat to run. I'll admit that QBs who run a lot dont typically have long careers so wanting Fields to slow down on that is understandable. I feel that he has. The QB ratings isn't the only metric i use to measure a QBs success but it is a good starting point.

Fields first year was wasted because of Nagy. The second year was a tank year. This is the first year in his three year career where he has something resembling NFL level talent around him. This year Fields looks average with potential to be good. You can disagree and that's fine. I'm not about to compare Jones to Fields when you consider what we surrounded Fields with his first two years. You think Williams is better and I get it. Williams is talented and in the right system, he will be good. That system is not in place in Chicago. I haven't paid attention to him much but I don't like the crying to mommy and evading the media. That shit isn't going to fly with the Chicago media. I dont think Getsy being fired is a sure thing. Should be, but it isn't. I also don't trust Getsy to maximize Fields or Williams talent. The only way to offset his shitty play calling is to bring in more talent.

The QBs that had the switch flip had multiple years in the same system with good OCs or head coaches and good talent around them. Mahomes looks average because KC doesn't a weapon that defenses respect other than Kelce. Stroud is looking good because his OC (Slowick) is smart enough to incorporate elements of the OSU offense into the Texans playbook. The Eagles have a solid offensive line.

I noticed that you didn't say that you trust Getsy to develop a rookie. Can we agree on that?

The only way we get close to having a sure thing as a rookie or any other QB is to have top talent around them, a good offensive line in front of them with a good OC. Instead of chasing hall of fame QBs, I'll live with average to good offense and a hard nosed defense.

Fields is not perfect and he does make mistakes. He does have room for improvement and he has.. Id prefer that he do that on the Bears. I understand the argument for drafting a QB given the circumstances. The off season will be interesting and I'm sure this is not the last time that this will be a topic of discussion.

Complex

Internet Superstar
BGOL Investor
To answer your question about a QB I was unsure of in year 3, Aaron Rodgers at for the years. Im not comparing Rodgers to Fields but you asked. Lawrence isn't lighting up the league and Luck had to retire because he was tired of getting beat up.

Daniel Jones has never had defensive coordinators talk about him being a player to watch. He is no threat to run. I'll admit that QBs who run a lot dont typically have long careers so wanting Fields to slow down on that is understandable. I feel that he has. The QB ratings isn't the only metric i use to measure a QBs success but it is a good starting point.

Fields first year was wasted because of Nagy. The second year was a tank year. This is the first year in his three year career where he has something resembling NFL level talent around him. This year Fields looks average with potential to be good. You can disagree and that's fine. I'm not about to compare Jones to Fields when you consider what we surrounded Fields with his first two years. You think Williams is better and I get it. Williams is talented and in the right system, he will be good. That system is not in place in Chicago. I haven't paid attention to him much but I don't like the crying to mommy and evading the media. That shit isn't going to fly with the Chicago media. I dont think Getsy being fired is a sure thing. Should be, but it isn't. I also don't trust Getsy to maximize Fields or Williams talent. The only way to offset his shitty play calling is to bring in more talent.

The QBs that had the switch flip had multiple years in the same system with good OCs or head coaches and good talent around them. Mahomes looks average because KC doesn't a weapon that defenses respect other than Kelce. Stroud is looking good because his OC (Slowick) is smart enough to incorporate elements of the OSU offense into the Texans playbook. The Eagles have a solid offensive line.

I noticed that you didn't say that you trust Getsy to develop a rookie. Can we agree on that?

The only way we get close to having a sure thing as a rookie or any other QB is to have top talent around them, a good offensive line in front of them with a good OC. Instead of chasing hall of fame QBs, I'll live with average to good offense and a hard nosed defense.

Fields is not perfect and he does make mistakes. He does have room for improvement and he has.. Id prefer that he do that on the Bears. I understand the argument for drafting a QB given the circumstances. The off season will be interesting and I'm sure this is not the last time that this will be a topic of discussion.

You're comparing him to a QB who wasn't playing :lol:

Daniel Jones can run. It's just that he's white. It's the best thing he does. He rushed for over 700 yards last year. What are you talking about?

Much less being a running QB isn't sustainable long term for lasting in the NFL and Justin has already been injured each year.

There isn't a sure thing, but Justin sure as hell isn't a sure thing. His percentage is suddenly going to jump to over 65% with another new offensive coordinator or is the offensive coordinator going to be at fault again. He's suddenly going to go through his progressions and look up field? He's going to stop holding the bal?

And how would drafting Caleb Williams stop us from having talent around him? Again his contract would make it so we have more talent around him.

Complex

Internet Superstar
BGOL Investor
Didn't think it would happen, but New England won and helped us out

Now we just need Carolina not go 2-0, because they'll lose the strength of schedule tie breaker

Arizona will probably lose their next two games

but I can't see Carolina beating both Jacksonville and Tampa. Unfortunately Lawrence is hurt.

Complex

Internet Superstar
BGOL Investor
Puts into perspective what I'm saying

Justin's legs are special, nothing else is

23:16 on

He's a lower third QB in a lot of passing categories

27th in completion percentage
23rd passing yards per game
21st in passer rating
22nd QBR
27th interception rate
30th sack rate
25th adjusted net yards per attempt

You can easily reproduce these passing numbers, even with a rookie

Madrox

Vaya Con Dio
BGOL Investor
I don't think JF is a finished product. He still has things to work on, but he also possesses skills you can't teach (arm talent, toughness, leadership). And it's not just on him. You still have to continue to add talent AND hope this staff gets it's act together, regardless of who's behind center.

I think Poles will do whatever's best for the team as a whole when the time comes. I trust his judgment based on what he's seen behind the scenes and in games.

Last edited:

Madrox

Vaya Con Dio
BGOL Investor

With that being said, Moore — once again — went to bat for Fields as the Bears’ quarterback of the future during his appearance on 670 The Score. Here is a snippet from Moore making another pro-Fields pitch:

“Look at what he’s done – he’s grown every year. He had (two) different offensive coordinators … He’s grown more and more each year. Even throughout this year, you can see his growth.”

“You can improve it,” Moore said of Fields’ accuracy. “It comes with working on timing and being with the same group of guys throughout the course of the season or the years that you are together. Because once you improve the timing, everybody knows where the one-two-three reads are going to be, and he can expect them to be exactly at that depth at the right time.”

Pworld297

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

....REAL good piece by L. Holmes here ∆∆

Yeah Holmes has made it clear for a while now that he's not that impressed with Caleb Williams. I believe he's good but I'm still questioning if he's generational. Most scouts are saying he's that damn good.

cheyisrameyah

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Yeah Holmes has made it clear for a while now that he's not that impressed with Caleb Williams. I believe he's good but I'm still questioning if he's generational. Most scouts are saying he's that damn good.

I havent watched him all that close and I take most stuff right now with a grain of salt. In my mind, it's still Fields job to lose.

When I saw Williams crying to mommy, red flags jumped up to me, same with avoiding the media after losses. The optics surrounding the crying were terrible. Crying happens, but to jump in the stands and cry on his moms titty?

If he is that damn good and Poles wants to take to him, I'll still root for the Bears. I hope that he ready mentally where ever he goes.
I am certain that the decision has not been made to draft him already though.

Pworld297

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I havent watched him all that close and I take most stuff right now with a grain of salt. In my mind, it's still Fields job to lose.

When I saw Williams crying to mommy, red flags jumped up to me, same with avoiding the media after losses. The optics surrounding the crying were terrible. Crying happens, but to jump in the stands and cry on his moms titty?

If he is that damn good and Poles wants to take to him, I'll still root for the Bears. I hope that he ready mentally where ever he goes.
I am certain that the decision has not been made to draft him already though.
Yeah being super talented is one thing but being mentally tough is something most guys don't have. To play in the Chi you better be mentally tough, that's why I like Fields, he's mentally tough, the way he's handled himself with all the crap that has happened to him, he can handle it. If Fields stay I'd be ok with it, my issues with Fields is strictly on the Football field, certain things he still needs to get better at but I don't think he's the main problem, they can bring in Williams and I still think they will have problems because I believe they don't have the right coaching staff in place.

The Bears can get major draft capital if they trade that pick, better than even last year.

Madrox

Vaya Con Dio
BGOL Investor
Yeah being super talented is one thing but being mentally tough is something most guys don't have. To play in the Chi you better be mentally tough, that's why I like Fields, he's mentally tough, the way he's handled himself with all the crap that has happened to him, he can handle it. If Fields stay I'd be ok with it, my issues with Fields is strictly on the Football field, certain things he still needs to get better at but I don't think he's the main problem, they can bring in Williams and I still think they will have problems because I believe they don't have the right coaching staff in place.

The Bears can get major draft capital if they trade that pick, better than even last year.
:yes: