2024 Chicago Bears Season Thread

Madrox

Vaya Con Dio
BGOL Investor

Report: Matt Eberflus defended Justin Fields in OC interviews​

But does it mean anything?​

By Alex Shapiro • Published 2 hours ago • Updated 2 hours ago​

NBC Universal, Inc.
On this episode of Football Night in Chicago, Dave Wannstedt and Carmen Vitali join Laurence Holmes to discuss the Bears hiring Shane Waldron as their offensive coordinator. Carmen talked about why she likes the addition of Waldron to Matt Eberflus’ coaching staff
The Bears have been able to take some victory laps this week as word got out that they hired Shane Waldron to take over for Luke Getsy as the team’s offensive coordinator. Waldron was seen as one of the best OC candidates on the market this year, and the expectation was he’d have several opportunities to consider.
The Bears do offer one of the most enticing opportunities in the league: the chance to help select then coach the No. 1 overall pick in the draft is pretty tempting. But in a story published on Tuesday, Albert Breer reported that Bears head coach Matt Eberflus kept Justin Fields in his pitch to potential OCs.
“Eberflus did defend Justin Fields in the interviews, as I understand it,” Breer said.
Some have taken that sentence as a sign that the Bears may be leaning towards trading away the No. 1 overall pick and retaining Fields. Really, there’s not much we can glean from the line without knowing the real nature of the conversations.
Further, it wouldn’t make much sense for the Bears to start talking poorly about their QB, regardless of what they truly think of him. If they’re trying to entice an offensive coordinator it would make the most sense to pump up the QB who’s already on the roster, rather than close a door prematurely.
The Bears almost certainly have not made up their minds about who they want to play quarterback next season, yet. GM Ryan Poles and Eberflus have each said on several occasions how much they value the character of a player when they make their evaluations. The bulk of that character assessment work comes when teams have the opportunity to meet with players as part of their top-30 visits, beginning on March 7 and continuing through the middle of April. So it should come as no surprise that Poles said earlier this month that his QB decision might not come until the beginning of April.
Let’s say the Bears have already made their mind up about Fields, and are really just deciding between Caleb Williams, Drake Maye or another prospect. Then they’ll want to trade Fields sometime before or maybe even during the draft. And if they want to do that, they’d only hurt themselves by bashing him. Word would get out that they were done with Fields (just as word got out they’re defending him) and it would ruin potential trade talk leverage.

c_commander

Up and Coming Asshole
BGOL Investor
The Raiders interviewed Luke Getsy for their OC opening. Some think that part of the interview was to get intel on Justin in the event that the Bears decide to trade him.

Madrox

Vaya Con Dio
BGOL Investor
The Raiders interviewed Luke Getsy for their OC opening. Some think that part of the interview was to get intel on Justin in the event that the Bears decide to trade him.
:fuckyousay:

If so they're wasting their time.

Someone on Twitter (I think it was) posted a comment like: "Justin landing with Getsy again would be like being in a horror movie and you think you've gotten away, but the villain pops up by surprise at the very end and still kills you."

I didn't want them to give up on JF just yet, and based on what I've heard and seen the past few weeks I see them sticking with him even more.

It would take a really ridiculous trade offer PLUS them being blown away by one of the prospects at the combine (since all of those dudes have a red flag or 2 from this season).

Last edited:

c_commander

Up and Coming Asshole
BGOL Investor
:fuckyousay:

If so they're wasting their time.

Someone on Twitter (I think it was) posted a comment like: "Justin landing with Getsy again would be like being in a horror movie and you think you've gotten away, but the villain pops up by surprise at the very end and still kills you."

I didn't want them to give up on JF just yet, and based on what I've heard and seen the past few weeks I see them sticking with him even more.

It would take a really ridiculous trade offer PLUS them being blown away by one of the prospects at the combine (since all of those dudes have a red flag or 2 from this season).
The Bears had an interview with Kingsbury with the thought being that they could also get Intel into Caleb Williams. They didn't hire him but they still have whatever knowledge that he gave them about Williams. It's the same thing here with Getsy and JF1. The Raiders pairing the 2 again isn't happening but getting firsthand knowledge of Fields is very valuable especially since if he were to get traded they're one of the most likely trade partners

Madrox

Vaya Con Dio
BGOL Investor
This dude blacks out at around the 9:30 mark :lol: .. good video though, he pretty much sums up how I feel about the nat'l media and moving fwd this offseason:

Last edited:

Madrox

Vaya Con Dio
BGOL Investor
I'm with Glynn here. And this other dude was mad annoying.. so obsessed with CW that he wasn't even able to fathom the other scenarios :smh: :

Complex

Internet Superstar
BGOL Investor

One thing Buffalo has a good defense, with a lot of injuries and not really any named players on the line other than a washed Von Miller.

Of course they play a 4-3

Plus he's familiar with Edmund's

Seems like we aren't having problems getting quality coaches.

Side note, anyone else annoyed that Leonard Floyd has gone on to have a good career?

Madrox

Vaya Con Dio
BGOL Investor
I hope Poles doesn't pull the trigger too soon on a deal for the first pick.....let the other teams drive the price up, right up until April.
Right on. I'm completely confident in him acting on the best offer whenever that comes.

Here are the key offseason dates to consider, FWIW:

DATES TO KNOW

Feb. 20: Beginning this date through 4:00 p.m., New York time on March 5, clubs may designate Franchise or Transition Players.

Feb. 27-March 4: NFL Scouting Combine, Lucas Oil Stadium, Indianapolis

March 5: Prior to 4:00 p.m., New York time, deadline for clubs to designate Franchise or Transition Players.

March 11-13: During the period beginning at 12:00 noon, New York time, on March 11 and ending at 3:59:59 p.m., New York time, on March 13, clubs are permitted to contact, and enter into contract negotiations with the certified agents of players who will become unrestricted free agents upon the expiration of their 2023 player contracts at 4:00 p.m., New York time, on March 13.

During the above two-day negotiating period, a prospective UFA who is not represented by an NFLPA Certified Contract Advisor ("Unrepresented Player") is permitted to communicate directly with a new club's front office officials (excluding the head coach and other members of the club's coaching staff) regarding contract negotiations. The club is responsible for confirming the player's status as an Unrepresented Player.

No prospective unrestricted free agent is permitted to execute a contract with a new club until 4:00 p.m., New York time, on March 13.

March 13: The 2024 League Year and Free Agency signing period begin at 4:00 p.m., New York time.

Trading period for 2024 begins at 4:00 p.m., New York time, after expiration of all 2023 contracts.

The first day of the 2024 League Year will end at 11:59:59 p.m., New York time, on March 13. Clubs will receive a Personnel Notice that will include all transactions submitted to the League office during the period between 4:00 p.m., New York time, and 11:59:59 p.m., New York time, on March 13.

March 24-27: Annual League Meeting, Orlando, FL

April 15: Clubs with returning head coaches may begin offseason workout programs.

April 17: Deadline for clubs to time, test, visit, interview or conduct a physical examination with a draft- eligible player at its club facility.

April 19: Deadline for restricted free agents to sign offer sheets.

April 24: Deadline for prior club to exercise Right of First Refusal to restricted free agents who signed offer sheets.

Deadline for clubs to time, test, visit, interview (including video and phone calls) or conduct a physical examination with a draft-eligible player at any location.

April 25-27: NFL Draft, Detroit

May 2: Deadline for Clubs to exercise Fifth-Year Option for players selected in the first round of the 2021 Draft.

May 3-6 or May 10-13: Clubs may elect to hold their one three-day post-Draft rookie minicamp from Friday through Sunday or Saturday through Monday on one of the two weekends following the Draft.

May 13: Rookie Football Development Programs begin.