Air Fryers. No oil frying. How many use one?

Mrfreddygoodbud

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
My friend just bought and air fryer last week to fry fish, and she was pissed because she said it didnt come out crispy..

She dipped it in a lil egg, she used flour, and she couldnt get it to come out crispy,

she ended up fryin it the ol fashion way, and sent back the air fryer...

any idea what she was doing wrong or wasnt doing right....

Mind you this lady is a cerified chef and can cook her ass off..

Camille

Kitchen Wench #TeamQuaid
Staff member
My friend just bought and air fryer last week to fry fish, and she was pissed because she said it didnt come out crispy..

She dipped it in a lil egg, she used flour, and she couldnt get it to come out crispy,

she ended up fryin it the ol fashion way, and sent back the air fryer...

any idea what she was doing wrong or wasnt doing right....

Mind you this lady is a cerified chef and can cook her ass off..

If you flour foods you have to spray it with oil otherwise the breading won't brown or crisp. It's still healthier than deep frying in oil as you don't have to use as much. It's best to get a mister and use your own oil. They have sprays that aren't supposed to build up in the air fryer, and they work ok as long as you don't spray inside where you get the spray on the surface of the fryer. Have her join some of the air fryer groups on facebook or send her the links to the books I post. If she doesn't have a kindle she can read on the pc app, cloud reader, or apps for phone/tablet.

Mrfreddygoodbud

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
If you flour foods you have to spray it with oil otherwise the breading won't brown or crisp. It's still healthier than deep frying in oil as you don't have to use as much. It's best to get a mister and use your own oil. They have sprays that aren't supposed to build up in the air fryer, and they work ok as long as you don't spray inside where you get the spray on the surface of the fryer. Have her join some of the air fryer groups on facebook or send her the links to the books I post. If she doesn't have a kindle she can read on the pc app, cloud reader, or apps for phone/tablet.

hmmmm very interesting, Im gonna ask her if she was spraying oil, that investing in one of those mister sounds like a good Idea..

Im gonna have to ask...

thanks Cami

Camille

Kitchen Wench #TeamQuaid
Staff member

Mo-Better

The R&B Master
OG Investor

So Camille the more I read up on these fryers the more confused I get. My question simply is are air fryers really worth it? Will your fried foods be as crispy and tasty as the deep fried foods we're accustomed to eating?

Camille

Kitchen Wench #TeamQuaid
Staff member
So Camille the more I read up on these fryers the more confused I get. My question simply is are air fryers really worth it? Will your fried foods be as crispy and tasty as the deep fried foods we're accustomed to eating?

I love this thing. I usually make my chicken with out any breading or flour at all, just spices, and the skin cooks up crispy. My brother has been using it EVERYDAY for shrimp. He buys the panko breaded ones at Costco. I guess it depends on how many people you are cooking for, though several people own two or more. I've even baked one of those duncan hines perfect size cakes in it.

Just check out the facebook group for ideas and recommendations. There are several but this one is the most active. https://www.facebook.com/groups/1718559345094393/ Doug can be slow at adding folks tho. He normally does it in batches.

Mo-Better

The R&B Master
OG Investor
I love this thing. I usually make my chicken with out any breading or flour at all, just spices, and the skin cooks up crispy. My brother has been using it EVERYDAY for shrimp. He buys the panko breaded ones at Costco. I guess it depends on how many people you are cooking for, though several people own two or more. I've even baked one of those duncan hines perfect size cakes in it.

Just check out the facebook group for ideas and recommendations. There are several but this one is the most active. https://www.facebook.com/groups/1718559345094393/ Doug can be slow at adding folks tho. He normally does it in batches.

Guess I'll give it a try....

BrownTurd

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Very good investment. I use mine almost everyday have my weight loss is proof. Great tasting good without all the oil

Camille

Kitchen Wench #TeamQuaid
Staff member
Many of these are only staying free for a day or so, so get them asap. I have to add a space so the forum doesn't hide the link so remove the space after amazon.com/ If they aren't currently free add them to your wishlist, the free price will come back around.

https://www.amazon.com/?tag=vp314-20 Air-Fryer-Cookbook-Really-Recipes-ebook/dp/B06XFLFS6X/

https://www.amazon.com/?tag=vp314-20 Air-Fryer-Cookbook-Recipes-Delicious-ebook/dp/B01N5X6MF7/

https://www.amazon.com/?tag=vp314-20 Air-Fryer-Cookbook-Comprehensive-Beginners-ebook/dp/B06XFSCNNL/

https://www.amazon.com/?tag=vp314-20 Air-Fryer-Cookbook-Recipes-Delicious-ebook/dp/B06XC3J6WQ/

https://www.amazon.com/?tag=vp314-20 Haute-Cuisine-Fryer-simple-recipes-ebook/dp/B01LHDDGP4/ (repeat post)

https://www.amazon.com/?tag=vp314-20 Air-Fryer-Cookbook-Recipes-Cooking-ebook/dp/B01NAH3CUI/ (repeat post)

https://www.amazon.com/?tag=vp314-20 Instant-Pot-Recipes-Cookbook-Pressure-ebook/dp/B06XKFVJTF/

https://www.amazon.com/?tag=vp314-20 Air-Fryer-Cookbook-American-British-ebook/dp/B06XJTWXD5/ (No reviews)

https://www.amazon.com/?tag=vp314-20 Air-Fryer-Experience-Cookbook-Appetizer-ebook/dp/B06XGW6KGC/ (No reviews)

EPDC

El Pirate Del Caribe
BGOL Investor
Just came in the mail...Amazon Prime FTW.
Can't wait to put this thing to use...
34qnqrl.jpg

futureshock

Renegade of this atomic age
Registered
Air Fried Hasselback Potatoes

JaFQ6NdTNVNA9psgRRJ3xgwPpk9RN9WFg5ApOlQVGdx9VtyjV5uwOhpCg-eJb7svOd4cnwVXPXCQZkL3qHlC4AdfYS4=s400-c

Ingredients

• 4 potatoes

• olive oil, as required

• Any seasoning can be added, cheeses, bacon bits etc. during last 15 minutes.
Directions
Preparation:15min › Cook:30min › Ready in: 45min 1.Peel the potatoes if desired or leave skin on. If large potatoes are used then cut in half. Cut slits down the potatoes about 5mm apart and 6mm from the base. 2.Preheat your air fryer to 180 degrees C. 3.Brush the potatoes gently with the oil then cook them in the preheated air fryer for 15 minutes. 4.Brush again with the oil then continue to cook for another 15 minutes or until the potatoes are cooked through.

BrownTurd

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Air Fried Hasselback Potatoes

JaFQ6NdTNVNA9psgRRJ3xgwPpk9RN9WFg5ApOlQVGdx9VtyjV5uwOhpCg-eJb7svOd4cnwVXPXCQZkL3qHlC4AdfYS4=s400-c

Ingredients

• 4 potatoes

• olive oil, as required

• Any seasoning can be added, cheeses, bacon bits etc. during last 15 minutes.
Directions
Preparation:15min › Cook:30min › Ready in: 45min 1.Peel the potatoes if desired or leave skin on. If large potatoes are used then cut in half. Cut slits down the potatoes about 5mm apart and 6mm from the base. 2.Preheat your air fryer to 180 degrees C. 3.Brush the potatoes gently with the oil then cook them in the preheated air fryer for 15 minutes. 4.Brush again with the oil then continue to cook for another 15 minutes or until the potatoes are cooked through.
I am going to try this

futureshock

Registered
Whole30 Lemon Pepper Chicken In The Air Fryer

Whole30-Lemon-Pepper-Chicken-In-The-Air-Fryer.jpg

Ingredients

Instructions
  1. Preheat the air fryer to 180c.
  2. Set up your work station. Place a large sheet of silver foil on the work top and add to it all the seasonings.
  3. Lay out your chicken breasts onto a chopping board and trim off any fatty bits or any little bones that are still there. Then season each side with salt and pepper. Rub the chicken seasoning into both sides so that it is slightly a different colour.
  4. Place it in the silver foil sheet and rub it well so that it is fully seasoned.
  5. Then seal it up very tight so that it cant breathe as this will help get the flavour into it.
  6. Then give it a slap with a rolling pin so that it will flatten it out and release more flavour.
  7. Place it in the air fryer for 15 minutes and check to see if it is fully cooked in the middle before serving.
  8. Serve.

Notes
I have based the recipe upon one breast just because you can then adjust your ingredients for the more mouths you are going to feed.

For each extra breast you are cooking (in separate silver foil packets) add an additional 1 minute to the cooking time.

For chicken seasoning we get it from Spain but a nice chicken stock cube with some extra parsley can have a similar taste.

futureshock

Registered
Herb-crusted rack of lamb with pumpkin wedges
Serves 2

EW20HgJlX1bmjJoYlHiQ8nhJQxUIxzUzQTuQj0vAXyBdwCYFScnb8y1_kOswSXMQFXSC1PXEUli1ZBEu1LZHyWR2ldKZJTW4RcsJ_orht-d1Ib0JDye-tnz9djOinkrJVwd16nWT5ZHesJ8WXxzmM58o15v8ToeOgiguM1gal5rkBCcY7nJjlztIdKvxgqw7nliFykCn3CC118F7mE4vYzMPYV_A73mmJXWXvFxgc_HpJ9Au60IHpoFsGd5wCz94BbVCwQ9n2tjX1CLLYE8BFvff7ICsOVQ8ReuC3B2rZNsEG-_xz1ejgRxxHb-lQZcbf8eUu85P5IZmQIWkipVOgcvl4SbvGO6GPXe6lNKBo4pY_OoilwIkbCWS9tRrZMj8taCexDLw1GvB1fLvJmICBEWNcFGbaCVuTxuG55EgQLU0ZRbbPdjvr3RGc0TDfZCvi6qkQnrSDG2ODE8z0QH4p-ZFU4ZsEcl_eUM2RV8XiSZewGX4gLLLMT40uGVxFUqWkFOXEHRFmbINtQmrrP5sx1pzTN5GwPU3_NObZkfalll-0QA7091jQHSWIU3pl81cxXPR=w792-h526-no

• 1 rack of lamb 1 tbsp Dijon mustard 50g panko breadcrumbs 2 tbsp fresh herbs, chopped 25g grated Parmesan Zest of 1 lemon 1 tbsp olive oil, salt and pepper
  • For the wedges 1 small to medium pumpkin 1 tbsp olive oil, salt and pepper
Method
  1. Heat the Airfryer to 200C for three minutes.
  2. Pat the lamb dry with a kitchen towel, then score the fat with a sharp knife to encourage it to drip out of the meat. This is how the calories are reduced. Rub the scores with the mustard.
  3. Blitz the breadcrumbs with the herbs, Parmesan, lemon zest and seasoning and, using the mustard as the ‘glue’, roll the fat of the rack through this mixture to form the crust.
  4. Season the rest of the joint, then add to the Airfryer with the oil and roast for 15 minutes until the crust is golden and the lamb cooked. If you like your lamb well done, cook for a further 5-10 minutes.
  5. For the wedges, peel and core the pumpkin and coat lightly in oil. Season and set aside. Remove the lamb and rest on a plate, then add the wedges to the Airfryer in a single layer, roast for around 20 minutes or until crisp, golden and cooked through. Serve with the lamb and a simple green salad

futureshock

Registered
Jerk Chicken Wings
Serves: 6
Jerk-Chicken-Wings.png

Read more
Prep time: 15 minutes; Cook time: 30 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes

Ingredients:
4 lb Chicken Wings; 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
2 Tbsp Soy Sauce
6 ea Garlic Cloves (finely chopped)
1 ea Habanero
(seeds, ribs removed, and finely chopped)
1 Tbsp Allspice ground
1 tsp Cinnamon ground
1 tsp Cayenne Pepper ground
1 tsp White Pepper
1 Tbsp Thyme (finely chopped)
2 Tbsp Brown Sugar
1 Tbsp Ginger (freshly grated)
4 ea Scallions (finely chopped)
5 Tbsp Lime Juice (fresh)
½ cup Red Wine Vinegar
1 tsp Salt

1. In a mixing bowl combine all the ingredients in the Jerk seasoning, including the chicken wings.
2. Transfer to a 1 gallon re-sealable bag and refrigerate for 2 hours up to 24 hours.
3. Preheat the Airfryer to 390F.
4. Transfer the chicken wings to a fine mesh strainer to drain any additional liquid.
5. Place half the wings in the Airfryer basket and cook for 14-16 minutes, shaking halfway through.
6. Repeat to cook the remaining wings.

futureshock

Registered
Crab Croquettes
Serves: 6
Crab-Croquettes.png

Read more
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Total time: 50 minutes

Ingredients:
1 lb Lump Crab Meat
¼ cup Red Onions (finely chopped)
¼ cup Red Bell Pepper (finely chopped)
2 Tbsp Celery (finely chopped)
¼ tsp Tarragon (finely chopped)
¼ tsp Chives (finely chopped)
½ tsp Parsley (finely chopped)
2 ea Egg Whites
¼ cup Mayo
¼ cup Sour Cream
½ tsp Cayenne Pepper
½ tsp Salt
½ tsp Lime Juice
1 tsp Olive Oil

1. In a small pot over medium-high heat mix olive oil, onions, peppers, and celery. Cook and sweat until translucent. About 4-5 minutes. Remove from heat and cool. Set aside.
2. In a mixing bowl combine all ingredients.
3. Preheat the Airfryer to 390°F.
4. In a food processor blend the panko breadcrumbs and salt to a fine crumb.
5. In three separate bowls, set aside eggs, panko, and flour.
6. Mold crab mixture to the size of golf balls.
7. Place each ball in the flour, then into the eggs, and last the panko.
8. Cook half the crab croquettes for 8-10 minutes in the Airfryer. Don’t overcrowd.
9. Repeat the process till all crab croquettes are cooked and golden brown.
10. Serve with tarragon remoulade

futureshock

Registered
Thai roast beef salad with nam jim dressing
Serves 2
i1diGY0AvvbFguK5fYM_pXiSWi0OlsZodMwh8n9wheGf_GKyKTEhlzINGaYzOhSsKpsJWTlD0x_V-xzXRrbxKpF_JDoZOWEzc75xXHaHrMxv2-G_qdwx5CBz5-qGpGop-mStbUuzFu3bhzyAkyfZcDGVgMNc2tJGJNwGVBrMjfMxGOLjqVBhGj-hVmn3IcAn5ND9O500D7G5Lzy-qH1JUGHgSN3uBju9DK8uHA5_fDadppeI2fGiL4WX752473IjWQIrLkU7yqR-leYZTXDBy5WsH81L6gOsGLG-lb0W07OnC7PayqFb42mIsG8-1wpYinz1Aq8rLQwO_ozy60zAylXZb4wURT_9KisDb9gs12hCn8Zsfd2wR4UqvZ6Hin_Q9zgly7ceyDnDuF8B2403a43ZFnZyiRXDHPF0VQ17DE0WWNqKPKna7IyWHxj2QM40ls5xhnTwQtRZiBSo8B8vQBarSma4h6yhLvjZFGMDhm8zjvuapFjR4IrvLLEley_pXZrWcBltXyDa53Oju_lIW2bE8zOoSX5wW_CWDY38txO6VAyBSjzGeWXtqPTphBGM8-p6=w1011-h653-no

Read more
  • kg topside of beef 1 tsp olive oil Salt and pepper
  • For the salad 1 carrot, grated ½ small white cabbage, grated 1 red pepper, very finely sliced Small handful of sugar snap peas, chopped Small handful of beansprouts 2 tsp toasted sesame seeds Small bunch coriander leaves, chopped (keep some aside for dressing and garnish)
  • For the dressing 2 tbsp fish sauce 2 tbsp fresh lime juice 2 red bird’s eye chillies (adjust to your taste) 2 garlic cloves 1 inch piece of ginger 2 tbsp tamari or soy sauce 2 tbsp sesame oil 4 tbsp water 1 tbsp of palm (or light brown) sugar 2-3 small shallots, chopped Stems of the coriander Pinch of salt
Method

1. Heat the Airfryer to maximum temperature for a few minutes while you prepare the beef. Rub with oil, salt and pepper, and roast for 30 minutes, turning the temperature down to 190C after 10 minutes. This will give you medium rare meat, ideal for this dish.
  2. While the meat is roasting prepare the salad: toss all ingredients together and set aside.
  3. For the nam jim dressing, put all the ingredients into a food processor and blitz for a minute or so. The dressing should be well combined and thin. Drizzle some over the salad and put the rest in a small serving bowl so guests can help themselves.
  4. Once the beef is roasted allow it to rest for about 20 minutes so it’s super-juicy, then cut into wafer-thin slices. To serve, pile salad on to a plate and top with thin slices of beef.
  5. Garnish with coriander, toasted peanuts and lime wedges.

futureshock

Registered
Buttermilk chicken with sweet potato chips
Serves 2

q5KXNKljx8lDmpkiag3AghzfbyH8NwfOxGhVa97twMxmanfOrJl5hvpo6IJufBiQhFzv6cEbN2AX8tFgIOaOd4n62Ax13yurMpqNz7VJYHNXWFHrd4eTAe0d-P0OW1OXWI2ZvL8VLU-ltQbUs1xfq2r6om5-8Y2jW4kR3WWDPYVndxelUXb6Cszw4gBwZaw4c_f1Iz2WQTQttB7hwKZTnjuY0j81t52GuEjMaU-TzOo2nly1S743hW-ziSNV2aLrDZBtopmsVA-EYYBIfrcueuKiyE23aAfzCU9fOCJMB5aH_2tl0w2AxCGQxz7mogVhuSguTSe3PB9g0W1DLaVQiKPkHdFfqMXJbT4_3QE6YuTXtkkICdAXpmNuNBH6Jt9OhfT2KGBSvShyH0_SpgCRvYl6YWTGTGhFq4M-xben92_3f--fejZ7AWdaTxUI6r68TrECbNydHYbfG1Q0WJHusZf2obLA8PVj8J3QaczSj-N64YcTZbGR1oXeoA6BNZX_zrQszz4hF5HVjVV5WKeRso16A0A1Z9FE-uUjE6cezS-S8XnfxRDi-dgZ9YoF_FXaDKpa=w792-h515-no

Read more
  • For the chicken 200ml buttermilk ½ tsp cayenne pepper 1 tsp minced garlic 2x150g chicken breasts 4 tbsp plain flour seasoned with salt and pepper 1 egg, beaten 200g panko breadcrumbs
  • For the chips 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced into 1cm-thick chips 1 tbsp olive oil 1 tbsp sweet smoked paprika
Method

1. Place the buttermilk, cayenne and garlic in a bowl with the chicken breasts, cover and place in the fridge to marinate overnight.
  2. Heat the Airfryer for 3 minutes. When you are ready to cook, rub as much of the marinade off the chicken as you can, then dip the breasts into a bowl of seasoned flour, then a bowl of beaten egg and finally the breadcrumbs, making sure that the chicken is well coated.
  3. Place the chicken in the Airfryer and fry for 20 minutes at 190C or until cooked through. Allow to rest while you cook the chips (or use the Airfryer XL to fry both at the same time).
  4. Toss the chips in oil and paprika, then place in the Airfryer and cook at 190C for 20 minutes, shaking them twice in between. Once cooked, season the chips with salt and pepper.

futureshock

Registered
Airfried Cajun Salmon

The problem with most home-cooked salmon is that it tends to get overcooked. I’ve heard many people (my own family included!) say that salmon sashimi ‘always tastes better than cooked salmon’ because it is so moist and tender, and cooked salmon tend to be dry. That’s because you’re frying your salmon to death!

I’ve seen lots of recipes cooking salmon in the airfryer for 15 minutes and the cook wonders why the salmon is tough after cooking. If your salmon is about 3/4 of an inch thick (as most salmon fillets are), all you need is 6-7 minutes in a preheated airfryer. For even thinner slabs like the tail part, 6 minutes max is all you need.

I use the first-generation Philips 9220, so I set the temperature to 180C, then turn the knob to 5 minutes. In the mean time, I prepare my fish (just sprinkle Cajun seasoning all over – not too much, just enough to coat) and when the orange light is off, I fry my salmon skin side up, on the grill pan for 7 minutes. Eat immediately and don’t let it sit in the airfryer. You don’t want the residual heat to continue cooking the fish. I use this Cajun seasoning but you can use any other brand:

Optional step: If you like crispy keropok-style skin like in this old Airfried Cod Fish recipe, just open your AF drawer at the 3rd or 4th minute and use a pair of tongs to gently lift the skin off the salmon. Fry the skin alongside. When the time is up, remove the salmon and continue to fry the skin for 2-3 minutes until the timer goes off. Let it remain in the airfryer for 1-2 more minutes so it’ll be super keropok-style crispy.

Have fun with this super-simple recipe. You’ll never have to eat dry salmon ever again. Moist, juicy and delicious, always!

Airfried Cajun Salmon (budgetpantry.com)

Serves: 1 (or 2, as part of a Chinese meal)
Total cost per salmon fillet: $8

What you need:

1 piece fresh salmon fillet (about 200g)
Cajun seasoning (just enough to coat)
A light sprinkle of sugar (optional)
Juice from a quarter of lemon, to serve

Steps:

Preheat your airfryer to 180C. For the Philips airfryer, the orange light will go off to indicate that the temperature has been reached. For other brands, typically just preheat for 5 minutes.

Clean your salmon and pat dry. In a plate, sprinkle Cajun seasoning all over and ensure all sides are coated. You don’t need too much. If you prefer a tad of sweetness, add a light sprinkling of sugar. NO seasoning time required. I airfried direct.

For a salmon fillet about 3/4 of an inch thick, airfry for 7 minutes, skin side up on the grill pan. Serve immediately with a squeeze of lemon.

How much I spent:

$8 for fresh Norwegian salmon
Everything else from my pantry

Mo-Better

The R&B Master
OG Investor

Darrkman

Hollis, Queens = Center of the Universe
BGOL Investor
Just used my air fryer for the first time today. Used it to fry some chicken after finding a YouTube channel dedicated to air frying. Chicken thighs turned out great.

x1OBhFl.jpg

3rd__Optic

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Whole30 Lemon Pepper Chicken In The Air Fryer

Whole30-Lemon-Pepper-Chicken-In-The-Air-Fryer.jpg

Ingredients

Instructions
  1. Preheat the air fryer to 180c.
  2. Set up your work station. Place a large sheet of silver foil on the work top and add to it all the seasonings.
  3. Lay out your chicken breasts onto a chopping board and trim off any fatty bits or any little bones that are still there. Then season each side with salt and pepper. Rub the chicken seasoning into both sides so that it is slightly a different colour.
  4. Place it in the silver foil sheet and rub it well so that it is fully seasoned.
  5. Then seal it up very tight so that it cant breathe as this will help get the flavour into it.
  6. Then give it a slap with a rolling pin so that it will flatten it out and release more flavour.
  7. Place it in the air fryer for 15 minutes and check to see if it is fully cooked in the middle before serving.
  8. Serve.

Notes
I have based the recipe upon one breast just because you can then adjust your ingredients for the more mouths you are going to feed.

For each extra breast you are cooking (in separate silver foil packets) add an additional 1 minute to the cooking time.

For chicken seasoning we get it from Spain but a nice chicken stock cube with some extra parsley can have a similar taste.
COT DAYUM!!! I may get one of thsee things just because of this

water

Transparent, tasteless, odorless
OG Investor
I made the chicken today...and i used the jerk recipe from that lip smackin nigga. It wasn't bad. It was actually good
p4qax.jpg

qxneaf.jpg

"jerk" chicken, brown rice with red beans and corn, Normandy mix veggies, and buttermilk biscuit.

The chicken was juicy, flavorful and just down right good. I am still confused on how this shit cooks that good and why I am just now finding out about this.
Props to everyone that has added to this thread. I am going to make fried wings tomorrow and some fish on Tuesday

Going to look for a larger industrial size one for a food cart

Will employ someone to see if this shit has commercial legs