Black Adam movie gets a release date of July 29, 2022. (Dwayne Johnson, The Rock )

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
I don't disagree completely. But to me it's awkward & cheesy. I thought Shazam was corny. The superhero acted more like a kid than the child actor. Live action movies take a long time to develop. Children grow up. Just from the trailer of Shazam 2. Unless they filmed Shazam 2 & 3 back-to-back. That won't be a kid anymore in Shazam 3 if it sees the light of day. It'll be a man playing a bigger man. And isn't the whole point of the character is that he's a kid?

respect

Your not familiar with the character so I get it

but the concept is not new at all in comics and in fact is damn near as old as comic books themselves.

It is an easy thing to write and develop

If you got talent and skills.

gutsdabeast

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
respect

Your not familiar with the character so I get it

but the concept is not new at all in comics and in fact is damn near as old as comic books themselves.

It is an easy thing to write and develop

If you got talent and skills.

In a comic book sense. It's not a new concept. ThunderCats. It's been done only in standalone films. Not in a franchise. Examples would be Big & 13 Going on 30. I believe in an animated movie, CGI or hand drawn; a Shazam movie franchise could work. On the level of Spider-Verse. But a live action franchise would need to close the gap on releases or recast the main protagonist. There's going to be a 5-year gap between entries. Imagine an actual teenager playing the character of Miles Morales.

Some things translate better to live action. I don't think this premise does. I can't take an "adult acting like a child portraying what he thinks an adult is" seriously. You're stuck in a comedy. Which isn't a bad thing completely. Brevity is always good in films. I thought everything about Zachary Levi's performance to be awkward. Imagine making him even more childlike. What tone are they going for in whatever the DCU ends up being?

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
In a comic book sense. It's not a new concept. ThunderCats. It's been done only in standalone films. Not in a franchise. Examples would be Big & 13 Going on 30. I believe in an animated movie, CGI or hand drawn; a Shazam movie franchise could work. On the level of Spider-Verse. But a live action franchise would need to close the gap on releases or recast the main protagonist. There's going to be a 5-year gap between entries. Imagine an actual teenager playing the character of Miles Morales.

Some things translate better to live action. I don't think this premise does. I can't take an "adult acting like a child portraying what he thinks an adult is" seriously. You're stuck in a comedy. Which isn't a bad thing completely. Brevity is always good in films. I thought everything about Zachary Levi's performance to be awkward. Imagine making him even more childlike. What tone are they going for in whatever the DCU ends up being?

Honestly though

It ain't for YOU.

most if not all of this isn't

It's for an entirely different demographic

It don't really matter if WE like it.

All the kids I know love that concept.

And we parents have to pay for it all.

That's all that's important

And I understand your point but I have never had an issue when it was done well and never heard your specific complaints ever voiced before.

But I get it.

TimRock

Don't let me be misunderstood
BGOL Investor
Rock should have put his ego aside and just been a part of the first Shazam. He could have done his origin after. He just didn't want to be defeated in a movie by Shazam only. I do agree that Shazam should be played by someone who can match the Rock in terms of appearance. Would make their fight more believable. So instead Rock wanted to look more superior going against a team rather than just one person. Now it cost him. Has Kraven been cast yet? What about Mr. Sinister? If he joins the MCU he should be a one and done villain. We don't need him sticking around for too long.

Last edited:

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Rock should have put his ego aside and just been a part of the first Shazam. He could have done his origin after. He just didn't want to be defeated in a movie by Shazam only. I do agree that Shazam should be played by someone who can'l match the Rock in terms of appearance. Would make their fight more believable. So instead Rock wanted to look more superior going against a team rather than just one person. Now it cost him. Has Kraven been cast yet? What about Mr. Sinister? If he joins the MCU he should be a one and done villain. We don't need him sticking around for too long.

Damn it man

Merry Christmas to you too

Flawless

Flawless One
BGOL Investor
Rock should have put his ego aside and just been a part of the first Shazam. He could have done his origin after. He just didn't want to be defeated in a movie by Shazam only. I do agree that Shazam should be played by someone who can'l match the Rock in terms of appearance. Would make their fight more believable. So instead Rock wanted to look more superior going against a team rather than just one person. Now it cost him. Has Kraven been cast yet? What about Mr. Sinister? If he joins the MCU he should be a one and done villain. We don't need him sticking around for too long.
I blame DC for enabling him. The should have put their foot down and let him know he is just a employee and needs to follow the script.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

@playahaitian

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

But James?

If this article is true?

Studio interference?

Is another way of saying ... DOING YOUR DAMN JOB.

Cause when it works?

You get Winter Soldier Civil War

When it doesn't you get Suicide Squad Fantastic Four and Black Adam.

Your supposed to interfere

Your just supposed to do it in a way that makes a better product.

And you can't say it JUST you and Peter

This is A HUGE JOB MY GUY.

Well OK... let's see what happens.

Last edited:

guyver

Rising Star
Platinum Member
I'm not familiar with the character, but the movie was entertaining and its one of the better DC movies I've seen for the DCU.

Maybe people are just losing interest in comic book movies.

Since it got released on HBOMAX so soon, are they officially considering this a flop or is it just because gun is taking over?

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
I'm not familiar with the character, but the movie was entertaining and its one of the better DC movies I've seen for the DCU.

Maybe people are just losing interest in comic book movies.

Since it got released on HBOMAX so soon, are they officially considering this a flop or is it just because gun is taking over?

It’s considered a flop because of global box office ticket gross.

The movie just barely made back what it cost to produce and promote it.

Unlike Wakanda Forever which is expected to break over $1 Billion in global ticket sales after the New Years weekend.

gene cisco

Not A BGOL Eunuch
BGOL Investor

Unlike Wakanda Forever which is expected to break over $1 Billion in global ticket sales after the New Years weekend.
:lol: Say man, Black Adam lost money in a big fucking way. It's WW gross is like 390. Budget around 250 plus marketing means budget total is 375-400.

Wakanda forever 250 plus marketing is similar 375-400. And it ain't coming near $1 billion, which is why Disney hotter than fish grease. It would be lucky to hit $800 million. Which means not much profit. If it's true that they threw Strange world marketing budget at Wakanda, it might have lost money. Because that means over $400 million total budget to bring in 800 if it's lucky.

You do realize to break even a movie has to double it's production + marketing budget. So you do the math on what these movies making. There is a reason DC got heads rolling and Marvel mad at phase 4. They needed $1 billion for all that dropped.

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
:lol: Say man, Black Adam lost money in a big fucking way. It's WW gross is like 390. Budget around 250 plus marketing means budget total is 375-400.

Wakanda forever 250 plus marketing is similar 375-400. And it ain't coming near $1 billion, which is why Disney hotter than fish grease. It would be lucky to hit $800 million. Which means not much profit. If it's true that they threw Strange world marketing budget at Wakanda, it might have lost money. Because that means over $400 million total budget to bring in 800 if it's lucky.

You do realize to break even a movie has to double it's production + marketing budget. So you do the math on what these movies making. There is a reason DC got heads rolling and Marvel mad at phase 4. They needed $1 billion for all that dropped.

Not sure where you getting your numbers from…

Black Panther’ Rises To $733M Global

Nancy Tartaglione
December 4, 2022 4:10PM PST

gene cisco

Not A BGOL Eunuch
BGOL Investor
Not sure where you getting your numbers from…

Black Panther’ Rises To $733M Global

Nancy Tartaglione
December 4, 2022 4:10PM PST

Black panther is sitting at 791.

Budget.

Marketing should be minimum 125, but given it's Marvel probably 150. So that's 400 million when you add the 250 PRODUCTION.

They split ticket sales with the theaters. So even if it hits $800 million that ain't the business. :smh:

Now put those Wakanda numbers into perspective and you see how huge of a failure Black Adam is. You said Wakanda would see $1 billion with New year. It won't see 800 million fam.

guyver

Rising Star
Platinum Member

When I was said is it considered a flop, I'm speaking to the the film being given away after bearly being out 2 months, WB loosing confidence and WB cutting their loses. The film isn't bad in my opinion and placing it on HBOMAX would seem to be counterproductive if you are bearly breaking even. What's the likelihood that people will get HBOMAX just to see Black Adam.

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
When I was said is it considered a flop, I'm speaking to the the film being given away after bearly being out 2 months, WB loosing confidence and WB cutting their loses. The film isn't bad in my opinion and placing it on HBOMAX would seem to be counterproductive if you are bearly breaking even. What's the likelihood that people will get HBOMAX just to see Black Adam.

HBO MAX already has a large subscriber base of over 40 million. It depends on how many of those folks will watch it. It should get high viewership thru the Christmas/New Years holidays, especially with what is going on with the weather nowadays.

It also depends on how long Warner Bros. keeps it on the service. We have seen them recently take content off to avoid paying residuals to actors.

guyver

Rising Star
Platinum Member
HBO MAX already has a large subscriber base of over 40 million. It depends on how many of those folks will watch it. It should get high viewership thru the Christmas/New Years holidays, especially with what is going on with the weather nowadays.

It also depends on how long Warner Bros. keeps it on the service. We have seen them recently take content off to avoid paying residuals to actors.

I agree with what you are saying, but viewership doesn't translate into sales in this instance. Maybe I don't understand how streaming works, but WB is the parent company of HBOMAX right. So, how would WB profit from a movie co produced by DC films which is owned by WB. I guess old subscribers would keep the service longer, but you aren't necessarily bringing in new ones and technically who is to say I kept HBOMAX for Black Adam.

It has also been released on VUDU which makes more sense to me if you believe the film has value overall. You have to buy or rent Black Adam from VUDU.it would also make sense for WB to license the film out to other platforms like Netflix. These options seem better if a film failed in theaters and I'm still trying to recoup or profit. It wouldn't be the first time the at home sales outperformed the theater sales or at least helped the overall profit.

Maybe it is considered trash and I'm mostly by myself that it was entertaining lol. I only think two or three other DCU movies are ok and this was probably the best DCU film to me.

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
Me, the wife and my two sons watched it last night on HBO MAX while eating Christmas Dinner.

Me personally, not to familiar with the character. I didn’t follow him back in my comic reading days in the 70s/80s. So a person like me went into it blind.

Overall, it was an enjoyable film to watch. It did a decent job giving the origin of the character.

Story flowed nicely and action was done well. The film kept the talking parts to a minimum which I liked.

My only pet peeves was Hawkman’s helmet. They could have toned down those wings on his helmet. It looks cool in the comics, but corny in live action.

Dr. Fate was ok, more should have been done showing his powers being he is similar to Marvel’s Doctor Strange.

Atom Smasher and Cyclone, I have no idea why their characters were put in the film cuz they served no purpose besides Atom Smasher as comic relief and Cyclone was easy on the eyes.

Like I pointed out with DC films being a “Watch it one time, no interest in watching again”, this film fits that category.

Wife and kids enjoyed the film for what it was, especially my wife who likes looking at The Rock.

As we all know by now, it recently came out there are no plans right now to do anything with the character in the near future. It’s looking like when they do bring him back, The Rock will have aged out of the role and it will be recast with a whole new story.

We will wait and see….

gutsdabeast

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Finally finished the movie. It was worse than I expected. What was the deal with all of the slow motion? It felt like a poor homage or imitation to Snyder. The Rock was exactly as I expected him to be. Auto-pilot Dwayne. I've become more & more a cinema snob in my old age. And this type of movie is just background noise to me.

Iron Man killed people too. Killing bad guys doesn't make you a villain. No matter how much you attempt to depict your "hero" as a bad guy. Isn't the character supposed to be evil & on occasion become an antihero? The Rock refuses to play a bad guy anymore. All about the brand, I guess.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Me, the wife and my two sons watched it last night on HBO MAX while eating Christmas Dinner.

Me personally, not to familiar with the character. I didn’t follow him back in my comic reading days in the 70s/80s. So a person like me went into it blind.

Overall, it was an enjoyable film to watch. It did a decent job giving the origin of the character.

Story flowed nicely and action was done well. The film kept the talking parts to a minimum which I liked.

My only pet peeves was Hawkman’s helmet. They could have toned down those wings on his helmet. It looks cool in the comics, but corny in live action.

Dr. Fate was ok, more should have been done showing his powers being he is similar to Marvel’s Doctor Strange.

Atom Smasher and Cyclone, I have no idea why their characters were put in the film cuz they served no purpose besides Atom Smasher as comic relief and Cyclone was easy on the eyes.

Like I pointed out with DC films being a “Watch it one time, no interest in watching again”, this film fits that category.

Wife and kids enjoyed the film for what it was, especially my wife who likes looking at The Rock.

As we all know by now, it recently came out there are no plans right now to do anything with the character in the near future. It’s looking like when they do bring him back, The Rock will have aged out of the role and it will be recast with a whole new story.

We will wait and see….

As always fair balanced and honest

But I have questions...

You thought the story flowed nicely?

What were your thoughts on the kid?

The use of the Flash/ quicksilver stop time effect?

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Be Cool
Snitch
Pain Gain

And I don't think it's fair to penalize a movie star for BEING a movie star.

That sh*t ain't easy

Brad Pitt Tom Cruise Will Smith...

A lot of times it's THEM first

character SECOND

and I'm cool with that.

But that doesn't mean they aren't acting.

The Rock has reached the point where the AUDIENCE wants more.

And not even that much more

Every single movie superstar goes through this.

He just needs to find the role the project and do it right.

Like @largebillsonlyplease always says I got the answers but I ain't giving them out for free.
A series but he acted pretty good in this.
ems.cHJkLWVtcy1hc3NldHMvdHZzZXJpZXMvUlRUVjE1NTA4OS53ZWJw

^^^^^

Exactly

THANK YOU.

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
As always fair balanced and honest

But I have questions...

You thought the story flowed nicely?

What were your thoughts on the kid?

The use of the Flash/ quicksilver stop time effect?

The story flowed giving an origin and end to what was going on. No scenes were thrown in to just fill in time.

The kid was put in there to make it interesting for children his age to be interested in the film seeing someone their age in it.

The VFX/SFX with the slow motion was showing how Black Adam was seeing things. The slo-mo was there from his POV. That was first presented when he woke up and fighting the mercenaries if you noticed. They continued that effect thru-out the film.

Overall, folks have to actually pay attention to these films and not sit there nitpicking every scene and focusing on small minor shit to bitch and complain about.

These films are not documentaries based on historical events. They are just made up stories and the writers have the freedom to do whatever craziness they want.

Folks need to remember that Marvel/DC/Star Wars/Star Trek and other classic Sci-Fi were created and developed during a time when mofos were whacked out of their minds smoking weed, doing LSD and hard drinking.

When folks understand that and not take this shit seriously , then you will see it all falls under the umbrella of “Mindless Entertainment”.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
The story flowed giving an origin and end to what was going on. No scenes were thrown in to just fill in time.

The kid was put in there to make it interesting for children his age to be interested in the film seeing someone their age in it.

The VFX/SFX with the slow motion was showing how Black Adam was seeing things. The slo-mo was there from his POV. That was first presented when he woke up and fighting the mercenaries if you noticed. They continued that effect thru-out the film.

Overall, folks have to actually pay attention to these films and not sit there nitpicking every scene and focusing on small minor shit to bitch and complain about.

These films are not documentaries based on historical events. They are just made up stories and the writers have the freedom to do whatever craziness they want.

Folks need to remember that Marvel/DC/Star Wars/Star Trek and other classic Sci-Fi were created and developed during a time when mofos were whacked out of their minds smoking weed, doing LSD and hard drinking.

When folks understand that and not take this shit seriously , then you will see it all falls under the umbrella of “Mindless Entertainment”.

I'm just gonna step back and switch on @largebillsonlyplease and let the titans fight this one out.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

hold on bro are we fighting up in here?

who-me.gif

keith6

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
DC movies do not have an affinity with black people

They could have made this their Black Panther.

They could have told the story of Egypt and getting rid of white oppressors.

They also could have released it during Black history month.

largebillsonlyplease

Large
BGOL Legend

Completely agree with you one million percent

Black Adam overall was terrible
And the writers had the freedom and budget to make a masterpiece and instead they came up with this

dasmybikepunk

Wait for it.....
OG Investor
DC movies do not have an affinity with black people

They could have made this their Black Panther.

They could have told the story of Egypt and getting rid of white oppressors.

They also could have released it during Black history month.
Getting rid of :eek: more like they turned into...you know all northern Africans and Arabs call themselves "White" on the world census :smh: shits pathetic and did you notice the slave whip marks on the Dwayne's back in them flashbacks :smh:

This shit was so bad it destroyed the DCU :giggle: :lol::blush::smh:

Piff Henderson

Stage Manager of Stage Managers
BGOL Investor

And that's why The Conjuring Universe is the strongest cinematic universe out there. Cheap ass movies that make a shit load of money.

gene cisco

Not A BGOL Eunuch
BGOL Investor
And that's why The Conjuring Universe is the strongest cinematic universe out there. Cheap ass movies that make a shit load of money.
Damn. Good catch.

I don't think people realize how much these movies have to pull in to be profitable. They see 700-800 million and think that the film killed it. Nope. These films all need to be $1 billion with these insane production/marketing budgets.

And given the inflated ticket prices, these films are attracting 20 percent less people. :smh: Shit is unsustainable and streaming isn't profitable like these greedy bastards thought when they tried to copy netflix.

Shame they fucked up this Black Adam movie. They basically had a Riddick-like character and fucked it up. :smh: