Hollywood News: WGA Battle - The Hollywood Fight That’s Tearing Apart Writers & Agents UPDATE: 2023 Strike OVER but SAG still at it!

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Good episode - lots of information.

I listened to it this morning ...

I swear on everything if gene walk in here like Vince McMahon?

I'm deleting all my biggest threads.

Yall been warned

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

I hate this happened to Drew.

But I also think this is a GOOD thing the writers did here.

You gonna show unity and strength and consequences

They already gearing up for the next contract and low key supporting SAG

gene cisco

Not A BGOL Eunuch
BGOL Investor
this is a royal cluster f*ck Gene

it's getting to point where I think all these execs never thought at least 3 steps ahead about how streaming would work

And before you kill the writers they ACTUALLY kinda saw this coming early and got the lawyers involved when it was internet only content then later streaming was attached to your cable accounts. But the pandemic screwed up all that stuff. And they gave in when the shouldn't have.

Seems like both sides wanted to just get a deal done during a global crisis which was good but never got the right smart folk in the room to figure this out.

Then the streaming + theatre same date stuff happened you saw THOSE law suits.

I have NO IDEA how to fix streaming residuals and even if I did I ain't even giving a CLUE up in here.

And a big part of why it can't be fixed is that all these streamers will not give the real numbers and in reality?

They shouldn't! cause I think either way if it's that they hoarding millions or losing millions a LOT of people are in trouble.

And sometimes we gotta live on that lie.
:yes: That's why I said everyone getting different numbers.

Listen man. I was one of those who were wrong about streaming. I own it. I thought the plague would have had more people using their theater setups. But hey, I also thought the plague was worse than it was. So I was wrong on both things and apparentely so were some people in charge. But the main factor was GREED.

Greed is why they stayed changing the price of a brick for netflix. Greed is what got them to say :angry: "fuck selling them the work, we about to do it ourselves". Remember when all the marvel shit was on Netflix? Now picture had the rat kept up that model. They would be in major profit, netflix eating, and everyone wins. But now they out billions.

Egos man. Where cats like us can swallow pride and admit we are wrong, some can't. They double down and keep doubling. End up on that Slim Charles shit. We fight on that lie.

Money always comes out on top though.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

Listen man. I was one of those who were wrong about streaming. I own it. I thought the plague would have had more people using their theater setups. But hey, I also thought the plague was worse than it was. So I was wrong on both things and apparentely so were some people in charge. But the main factor was GREED.

Greed is why they stayed changing the price of a brick for netflix. Greed is what got them to say :angry: "fuck selling them the work, we about to do it ourselves". Remember when all the marvel shit was on Netflix? Now picture had the rat kept up that model. They would be in major profit, netflix eating, and everyone wins. But now they out billions.

Egos man. Where cats like us can swallow pride and admit we are wrong, some can't. They double down and keep doubling. End up on that Slim Charles shit. We fight on that lie.

Not to derail.

The plague was bad enough bro. I lost a LOT of people. Happy you able to say that. But for MANY of the rest of us? It was the worst.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

Realest sh*t you ever f*cking wrote.

Cold hard truth

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
My man said some slick sh*t about the strike and all his acting buddies went at his throat

He quickly admitted he had failed this city and apologized and marched like he was in front of Buckingham Palace

Funny thing?

He risked his career, friendships and reputation so worried about promoting the show...

And it's the very first thing on Starz axed after the strike.

ThaBurgerPimp

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
He risked his career, friendships and reputation so worried about promoting the show...
And that is one of my all time favorites

I'm not saying it's connected

BUT I posted videos of him talking during the strike saying I don't care I'm talking even though I know in not supposed to.

His brethern were NOT HAPPY
Had he just kept quiet,James Gunn & Peter Safran probably wouldve thrown him a bone :lol:

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

In a letter to WGA membership Monday, East and West Coast presidents Meredith Stiehm and Lisa Takeuchi Cullen announced that 99 percent of members had voted to ratify the 2023 Minimum Basic Agreement, with only 90 "no" votes. The new contract will be in effect from Sept. 25, 2023, to May 1, 2026.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

Dear Members,

We are pleased to announce that 99% of WGA members have voted in favor of ratifying the 2023 MBA. Of the 8,525 valid votes cast there were 8,435 “yes” votes and 90 “no” votes (1%). The term of the agreement is from September 25, 2023 through May 1, 2026.

See the summary of the 2023 MBA for more information on what we gained.

We would not have been able to achieve this industry-changing contract without WGA Chief Negotiator Ellen Stutzman, Negotiating Committee Cochairs Chris Keyser and David Goodman, the entire WGA Negotiating Committee, strike captains, lot coordinators, and the staff that supported every part of the negotiation and strike action.

As our negotiations come to an end, we won’t forget our SAG-AFTRA siblings who have supported writers every step of the way. We call upon the AMPTP to negotiate a deal that addresses the needs of performers and, until they do, we ask WGA members who can to continue to show up on their picket lines in solidarity.

In solidarity,

Meredith Stiehm, WGAW President
Lisa Takeuchi Cullen, WGAE President

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

ThaBurgerPimp

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
WTF the studios doing????!!!

So the one thing I got from this is the AI writing part? Not as big an issue as we thought...

It's the AI as ACTORS these studios seem to believe is the big future money.
You see that clip that's gone viral of a scene from some Disney movie where they clearly showed AI background characters in the audience:smh:

Big Tex

Earth is round..gravity is real
BGOL Investor
WTF the studios doing????!!!

So the one thing I got from this is the AI writing part? Not as big an issue as we thought...

It's the AI as ACTORS these studios seem to believe is the big future money.
The studios got what they wanted with the AI writing part. They get to train their models on all WGA scripts and it's only a 3 year deal. I bet they think after 3 years of training, their AI will be good enough to tell the WGA to kick rocks.