Marvel Movie Discussion: The Eternals f/ Angelina Jolie, Kit Harrington UPDATE: PART 2 COMING?

Drayonis

Thedogyears.com
BGOL Investor
Just got back from watching this...

I fucking loved this movie!

Just to get my self pat on the back out the way I nailed this:

Mid credit scene was unexpected who they brought out, but great!

End credit I knew what was coming but well done. :bravo:

I actually loved The Eternals. My brother didn't like it but I thought it was dope because it was a departure from the regular "Marvel formula".

Tito_Jackson

Truth Teller
Registered
Yeah. It was very long. Shang Chi is the best origin film in the MCU so far, I have it a few percentage behind Ironman 1. It's behind because Ironman is the original and set off the MCU. But Shang Chi was a great movie, I would put it over Eternals.
I don't know famo. Dr. Strange was set up very very well. And Shang Chi had alot of holes in it. It was still cool tho.

theoriginalgreatone

MOAR
BGOL Investor
Major
So the introduction of Blade here might seem random, but in the context of the Ebony Blade it actually makes sense. Blade does have a direct connection to the legendary sword and Dane Whitman. During the cosmic Captain Britain and MI-13 series, Blade joins a team including Black Knight. While trying to defeat the Skrulls—seems timely—the team are exposed to a fake Ebony Blade as well as the real one. The true Ebony Blade was hidden in Wakanda, while the fake one was created by none other than Dracula. While we don’t expect to see a full Captain Britain and MI-13 team coming to the MCU, we do think that Blade could be recruiting Dane for a new team. Seeing as Blade is a supernatural hero himself, he could even play a role as a sort of paranormal Nick Fury. But what team?[\spoiler]

Yeah what team, and I haven't seen a good leak of this yet, any help?

D'Evils

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
The fact there isn't a decent copy of this anywhere is crazy. I missed it in the theaters

Don't worry it be all kinds of 4K versions hitting the interwebs next week.... Lol

Disney is on some 45 days "Streaming Window" release shit....

Last edited:

dawilleyone

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Finally, watched this and I'm seriously conflicted over the film.

I think as a Sci-Fi/Fantasy film its fairly decent, maybe even good. It just doesn't seem to work within the MCU for me. I can get why the Eternals didn't get involved in any of the Avenger stuff, but why the Avengers and other heroes aren't around when planetary level cataclysmic events are happening doesn't make any sense.

Aside from that, the movie was a bit long, but I appreciated the various plot twists and conflicts the characters had to deal with.

I don't know if I would vote for a sequel, but as a stand alone film I think it worked

Last edited:

ViCiouS

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
Just finished watching...

for something based on Jack Kirby... the colors are muted and non terrestrial environments are bland

why does Marvel lean into nerfing power levels and characters until Gunn, Russos, or Coogler get a foot in?

Chloe was the wrong director for this

this would be a much better movie by casting character actors instead of letting the wattage and star power of Jolie and Hayek go mostly unused

almost a millennium of life on earth... and only Salena and a deviant get half assed arcs?

Great to see SF!
Really sad to think of how badly SF will likely be nerfed and neutered...

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Just finished watching...

for something based on Jack Kirby... the colors are muted and non terrestrial environments are bland

why does Marvel lean into nerfing power levels and characters until Gunn, Russos, or Coogler get a foot in?

Chloe was the wrong director for this

this would be a much better movie by casting character actors instead of letting the wattage and star power of Jolie and Hayek go mostly unused

almost a millennium of life on earth... and only Salena and a deviant get half assed arcs?

Great to see SF!
Really sad to think of how badly SF will likely be nerfed and neutered...
they did seem under powered in fighting the deviants and the studio cribbed some material from the Neil Gaiman graphic novel but in typical movie studio fashion they fucked up the story.

eternals-562032323-large.jpg

but since most people aren't familiar with the eternals no one noticed or cared that they changed this character to a black deaf female.

ete3_2rsv.jpg

and a number of the others too.

They would have done better just translating the Gaiman story from the book to screen..

FdtZQm7cbZokMvHV2m-_FSfrORspP7Woj0zaAg3l8nsgRwrtcaWNURQzwKBLDbrx2ViQl_nwFS52_w=s1600

2NyusjhqaJlrymLXsnmJF5emAPaFT-k3e5RHhAL4Rv2tWGXk3e-8VRYK3d5fDuCcoa3esNhSeeBaPw=s1600

_ny3qt6HLbnGfb8_QAZPPQQEJymCjoDRU1bFSfZ0c7XmcPZnQS4u8lx3tASFoNRMtr7aI-pNyAFLUA=s1600

54kMD_-lM8-nVA6y2a4D_NJuzzTV2TmXp1KNO-6bs3b-pMfUAg7XuC5j1pLfe3d-bKIoiVw3WmYQ4w=s1600

yMpxwJmzxJJsZSzVCaqweOwArEoJUkN0i9m2rieyvcFy5ARTEnd-NSdymA_Na3sGrWhUjf2t7eePeg=s1600

rqRMzlzJwIwPVZZL9FhCQYz7UAvvhClM_abhBWBa6cYuhFPzrMvK4USW8_cpbP3dMWiHDlokyopOMg=s1600

If marvel/disney is building up to this story...theyre taking the long boring way to do it...

ViCiouS

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
they did seem under powered in fighting the deviants and the studio cribbed some material from the Neil Gaiman graphic novel but in typical movie studio fashion they fucked up the story.

but since most people aren't familiar with the eternals no one noticed or cared that they changed this character to a black deaf female.

ete3_2rsv.jpg

They would have done better just translating the Gaiman story from the book to screen..

FdtZQm7cbZokMvHV2m-_FSfrORspP7Woj0zaAg3l8nsgRwrtcaWNURQzwKBLDbrx2ViQl_nwFS52_w=s1600

2NyusjhqaJlrymLXsnmJF5emAPaFT-k3e5RHhAL4Rv2tWGXk3e-8VRYK3d5fDuCcoa3esNhSeeBaPw=s1600

_ny3qt6HLbnGfb8_QAZPPQQEJymCjoDRU1bFSfZ0c7XmcPZnQS4u8lx3tASFoNRMtr7aI-pNyAFLUA=s1600

54kMD_-lM8-nVA6y2a4D_NJuzzTV2TmXp1KNO-6bs3b-pMfUAg7XuC5j1pLfe3d-bKIoiVw3WmYQ4w=s1600

yMpxwJmzxJJsZSzVCaqweOwArEoJUkN0i9m2rieyvcFy5ARTEnd-NSdymA_Na3sGrWhUjf2t7eePeg=s1600

rqRMzlzJwIwPVZZL9FhCQYz7UAvvhClM_abhBWBa6cYuhFPzrMvK4USW8_cpbP3dMWiHDlokyopOMg=s1600

If marvel/disney is building up to this story...theyre taking the long boring way to do it...
I think the quest to both rescue earth's Eternals and find other Eternals across the universe leads to variation of this story

detail.jpg

eagle force

Rising Star
Platinum Member

ete3_2rsv.jpg

don't think they adapted anything about the eternals from the comics(not the classic ones for sure)
they changed it completely to appeal to the woke mob

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
don't think they adapted anything about the eternals from the comics(not the classic ones for sure)
they changed it completely to appeal to the woke mob
the celestial waking up and destroying earth is either directly from or similar to the gaiman story...which was essentially a reboot from the kirby stories...

Eternals (2006) #1-7. In 1976, Jack Kirby created the immortal race called the Eternals - an ahead-of-its-time exploration of Kirby's ceaseless curiosity about man's origins and mythology. Decades later, superstar creators Neil Gaiman and John Romita Jr. have boldly and lovingly reinvigorated the Eternals, crafting a fresh and crackling yarn full of mystery, suspense and majestic power! Against the backdrop of a superhuman Civil War,

“WE PRESERVE AND WE MAINTAIN”

Mark Curry believes himself to be living a totally normal, human life as a med student until Ike Harris, or Ikaris, topples the apple cart trying to convince Mark, aka Makkari, of their shared immortality as Eternals. Ikaris’ sales pitch doubles as a helpful origin story for the reader who may be unfamiliar with Eternals (immortal, super powers), Deviants (ever-changing, monstrous, proliferous), and Celestials (Space Gods, sparkers of life, judgmental daddies). Mark is skeptical of course, except that some of the details fit those recurring dreams he’s been having.

In fact, almost all 100 or so Eternals have forgotten who they are and are living as humans in the modern world. Flighty party planner Sersi is hired to throw an event for the ambassador of the Soviet bloc country Vorozheika. Druig, deputy Prime Minister of said country, has fallen out of political favor and is marked for assassination. Thena Elliot is a weapons scientist working with Tony Stark. Sprite is a famous Disney Channel-type tween star. Ajak is a groundskeeper keeping an eye on everyone and Zuras is a raving vagrant on the street. Ikaris, for his part, is beset and brutalized by burly mobsters – Deviants in a more voluntary disguise. Most of this cast is present at Sersi’s big party when violence erupts courtesy of Druig’s Vorozheikan political rivals, causing everyone’s instincts to kick in and awaken their true, super human nature.

Mark Curry has more questions than ever, and heads to San Francisco to talk with the obnoxious Sprite. Sprite is surprisingly forthcoming with the next big chunk of exposition, revealing himself to be the culprit behind the Eternals’ collective amnesia. His plan is not well explained, but it has to do with using the Celestial sleeping beneath Golden Gate Park and space magic to make the Eternals human. As for why, well, Sprite was jealous that the Eternals all got to have sex with each other but he couldn’t since he would always be a child. Meanwhile, Deviants have been lurking in the shadows and make their move to wake up the “Dreaming” Celestial, hoping to bring about the end of the world.

Fortunately, help is on the way. Ikaris, having been successfully killed by his pursuers, finds himself reborn at his full power and Ajak awakens Zuras with more exposition about his complicated machinations. The Eternals, now all empowered and in costume, show up to find themselves hardwired against attacking any Celestial, and even the buttinski Avengers are powerless to help. Thankfully, the awakened Celestial takes a liking to Makkari and decides to not destroy the planet after all, instead entrusting Earth’s protection to the Eternals on a provisional basis. The series ends with Ikaris and Makkari racing off to re-awaken the rest of the Eternals, clearly setting up a sequel series with the classic “The Beginning” sign-off.

I didn't have an issue with the diversity casting but the movie seemed like its was more focused on showing off LBGT aspects of the characters than having a tighter better paced story.

What REALLY needs to happen is the LBGT community needs to produce its own hero stories...same as black and latino etc.. rather than co-opting established white stories. And let the audience decide what they want to see...I think we'd all be pleasantly surprised more than not with the reaction. Especially in this era. I think all this baby stepping is annoying and bullshit to try to mollify the "woke mob".

Last edited:

The Plutonian

The Anti Bullshitter
BGOL Investor
This movie sucked to me. Story was awful too. Thank God I didn’t pay for this shit like the Black Widow which subsequently also sucked. C-, not even worth getting all the way into it but the Uni Mind can’t kill a Celestial smdh

Last edited:

Day_Carver

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I thought it was the best 2 hour travel advertisement ever

Cinematography was amazing

The locations director needs a nomination
I just watched it on Disney plus; Movie was solid; Maybe middle of the road type of movie; not good not bad but ok; it should have been a 2 or 3 part movie; it would have been great then; but still it was ok; the conflict between them should have been more; Thena having those crazy spells should have been more; how they were created should have been more; their powers should have been explained more; why did they have the powers they had; the whole pawn thing should have been more; Movie could have been great...

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
I just watched it on Disney plus; Movie was solid; Maybe middle of the road type of movie; not good not bad but ok; it should have been a 2 or 3 part movie; it would have been great then; but still it was ok; the conflict between them should have been more; Thena having those crazy spells should have been more; how they were created should have been more; their powers should have been explained more; why did they have the powers they had; the whole pawn thing should have been more; Movie could have been great...

I actually want to see YOUR movie but

Good lawd man any more could would should

And this movie is a 30 min NBC sitcom.

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Dude read this and then tell me if THIS should have been the movie

p5ych3

Curry Is My God
BGOL Patreon Investor
Watched it without knowing anything and wondered what was Robb Starks purpose. He was like a NPC in this lol.

This felt lacking after watching wheel of time and the witcher.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
2 part movie would have solved all of the movie issues. 2 hour 30 mins each. If they did that it would have been top 10 marvel movie...

Bro I don't think editing was the problem

The writing and directing were not enough to tell an epic tale scale of this scope.

No shade to the director cause I was on a Twitter space with her and she knows her stuff. THIS was not the movie for her. But it was a good effort.

it looked beautiful in imax.

Travel Channel should play this on holidays with no dialogue for 12 hours straight.

Last edited:

Day_Carver

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
shit writing isn't solved by run time

GoT budget
2x 10 episode seasons on Hulu
Damon Lindhoff / Russos production team or similar
Bro I don't think editing was the problem

The writing and directing were not enough to tell an epic tale scale of this scope.

No shade to the director cause I was on a Twitter space with her and she knows her stuff. THIS was not the movie for her. Bit it was a good effort.

it looked beautiful in imax.

Travel Channel should play this on holidays with no dialogue for 12 hours straight.
True true. I guess I was thinking a few tweaks here and there and the movie could have been good. It felt like it didn’t need a lot to make it good.

darth frosty

Dark Lord of the Sith
BGOL Investor
I liked this movie, but I think I have figured out why some don't.

This movie is a lot like Age of ultron in the sense while being a decent stand alone film, it is setting up a strong foundation to build future movies/projects on.

Typical marvel and I look forward to seeing it blossom, because you know what they are setting up for.