Marvel Movie Discussion: The Eternals f/ Angelina Jolie, Kit Harrington UPDATE: PART 2 COMING?

TimRock

Don't let me be misunderstood
BGOL Investor
So what would he have to do with it?

Major
So the introduction of Blade here might seem random, but in the context of the Ebony Blade it actually makes sense. Blade does have a direct connection to the legendary sword and Dane Whitman. During the cosmic Captain Britain and MI-13 series, Blade joins a team including Black Knight. While trying to defeat the Skrulls—seems timely—the team are exposed to a fake Ebony Blade as well as the real one. The true Ebony Blade was hidden in Wakanda, while the fake one was created by none other than Dracula. While we don’t expect to see a full Captain Britain and MI-13 team coming to the MCU, we do think that Blade could be recruiting Dane for a new team. Seeing as Blade is a supernatural hero himself, he could even play a role as a sort of paranormal Nick Fury. But what team?[\spoiler]

The Plutonian

The Anti Bullshitter
BGOL Investor
Eternals was definitely a good movie. The Gay part was about 6 seconds....I just turned my head. However, the movie was basically about inclusion. Almost every walk of life is represented. My only gripe is the Celestial is Waaaay to Big (compared to the comics), however they've opened the door to officially bring in Galactus! You can tell from this movie Marvel is about to Go Craaaazy!

Also, people can't have it both ways. Complain that Marvel never changes it up and everything has to alway be joke after joke after joke. But than they change it up and hardly no jokes and people complain about it, saying it's not like a Marvel movie....Hold this "L" if that's you.

Who was the celestial? Arishem, One Above All or Exitar?

sinsay

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
The critics have hammered this movie, however my friends who are Marvel fans loved it.

Rotten Tomatoes has the biggest score varience I think I've ever seen...critics have it at a 49, by FAR the lowest ever for any Marvel movie production. Audience though has it at an 83.

Going to see it today.

darth frosty

Dark Lord of the Sith
BGOL Investor
The reviews are bad
The critics have hammered this movie, however my friends who are Marvel fans loved it.

Rotten Tomatoes has the biggest score varience I think I've ever seen...critics have it at a 49, by FAR the lowest ever for any Marvel movie production. Audience though has it at an 83.

Going to see it today.
I loved it and one thing I love about marvel they are experts at fan service.

I find it ironic that the critics who dislike this movie because it doesn't fit the typical style of mcu movies, are the ones who claim to be tired of the typical mcu formula.

LordSinister

One Punch Mayne
Super Moderator
My problem is the bitch that directed it has no clue about power levels.

The forgotten one is about as strong as Hulk/Thor but it didn't show. Don't even get me started on Icarus.

I was Digging Makari and Druid wasn't who I thought he would be.

I give the movie a C+

With better editing and development would have been an A plus.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Oscar Futures: Eternals Is Not the Awards-Friendly Blockbuster That Was Promised
By Nate Jones@kn8
Richard Madden and Gemma Chan in Eternals. Photo-Illustration: Vulture; Photo by Marvel Studios
Every week between now and February 8, when the Academy Award nominations are announced, Vulture will consult its crystal ball to determine the changing fortunes of this year’s Oscars race. In our “Oscar Futures” column, we’ll let you in on insider gossip, parse brand-new developments, and track industry buzz to figure out who’s up, who’s down, and who’s currently leading the race for a coveted Oscar nomination.
Best Picture
DOWN
Eternals
The populist branch of the Academy would surely love for Marvel to sneak back into the Best Picture field, but it probably won’t be with Eternals, which hits theaters this week as the most tepidly received MCU entry since Thor: The Dark World. The film “takes place over a vast timespan in locations all over the globe … yet it has the curiously claustrophobic feel of a Saturday afternoon serial filmed entirely in a windowless studio,” says Dana Stevens, while K. Austin Collins calls it “a movie full of opportunities, most of which it sidesteps in favor of its least charismatic heroes, its least interesting questions.” On the plus side, Eternals at least makes Hollywood history for being the first movie named after its run time.
UP
Dune
In better news on the blockbuster front, Dune crossed $300 million at the global box office this week, and you may have also heard that it’s getting a sequel. With Denis Villeneuve’s sci-fi epic becoming one of the fall’s most talked-about movies, a spot in the expanded Best Picture field feels all but guaranteed. (Or, perhaps I should say, “a Feyd accompli.”) Other major noms are in play as well.
CURRENT PREDIX
Belfast, Coda, Dune, King Richard, Licorice Pizza, The Lost Daughter, Nightmare Alley, The Power of the Dog, The Tragedy of Macbeth, West Side Story
November 13-14: Vulture Festival outdoors at The Hollywood Roosevelt. Subscribers get 15% off.
BUY TICKETSBest Director
DOWN
Chloé Zhao, Eternals
Iñárritu can rest easy: I don’t think Oscar’s reigning Best Director will be going back-to-back. Blame for the Eternals misfire seems to be spread around, with some critics pointing to the source material, others the oppressive Marvel house style. Zhao gets her own share of the barbs — Collins argues her aesthetic “gets exposed, more plainly than before, as a kind of cultural tourism” — but critics for the most part seem to be treating Eternals as a one-off for the former indie darling. Justin Chang calls the movie “hopefully the least interesting one Chloé Zhao will ever make.”
UP
Pablo Larraín, Spencer
Larraín couldn’t crack the Oscars lineup for Jackie, but does the Chilean director have a better shot this time around, with a film that plays like Jackie’s British remake? “Larraín again adopts that film’s blend of gliding formal precision and brash, delicious bad taste,” says Guy Lodge. “Spencer is at once a work of great sensitivity and high, hilarious camp.” But while comparisons to Jackie are inevitable, Larraín feels like less of an Oscars outsider than he did five years ago: The directors’ branch has become markedly more international, and he’s since produced the 2018 Foreign Language winner, A Fantastic Woman. His leading lady becoming the presumptive Best Actress front-runner might not hurt, either — a rising tide lifts all wigs.
CURRENT PREDIX
Pedro Almodóvar, Parallel Mothers; Kenneth Branagh, Belfast; Jane Campion, The Power of the Dog; Pablo Larraín, Spencer; Denis Villeneuve, Dune
Best Actor
DOWN
Tom Hanks, Finch
Tom Hanks’s latest AppleTV+ vehicle is a cyborg cobbled together from the spare parts of failed 2020 Oscars players. Like Midnight Sky, it’s a futuristic drama about a scientist wandering the Earth after an environmental catastrophe; like News of the World, it’s a road movie starring Hanks and a cute sidekick — two this time, a robot and a dog. Reviews have been fine for this pre-COVID holdover, but I suspect Hanks is going to need more oomph to break his Oscars drought.
EVEN
Mahershala Ali, Swan Song
Speaking of AppleTV+, the streamer unveiled the trailer for another of its awards hopefuls this week. In Swan Song (not to be confused with the recent Udo Kier film of the same name), we get two Mahershalas in one: He’s both a dying family man, and the clone secretly hired to take over after his death. Will this be a five-hankie tearjerker, or a Collateral Beauty–style calamity?
CURRENT PREDIX
Benedict Cumberbatch, The Power of the Dog; Peter Dinklage, Cyrano; Simon Rex, Red Rocket; Will Smith, King Richard; Denzel Washington, The Tragedy of Macbeth
Best Actress
UP
Kristen Stewart, Jackie
Jessica Chastain fading means that Stewart’s had the opening phase of the season all to herself, and as Spencer opens wide, the raves for her dynamic transformation keep coming. Deborah Ross, one of multiple British critics who liken the film to a dream produced by eating too much cheese, hails: “She looks nothing like Diana but is somehow Diana. I think it’s called ‘great acting.’” Early days but, for now, Stewart remains the one to beat in Best Actress.
UP
Tessa Thompson, Passing
Rebecca Hall’s Nella Larsen adaptation is playing in limited release before hitting Netflix next week, and the first-time director and her two stars are all earning buzz. Thompson plays Irene, a bourgeois Black woman in 1920s Harlem who learns her childhood friend is living as a white lady. She gives a subtle, reactive performance, with much of its power coming in quiet moments: Richard Brody praises Hall’s “intense focus on Irene’s stunned and pained gaze.” It’s not a showy part, but a canny campaign from Netflix could add some noise.
CURRENT PREDIX
Jessica Chastain, The Eyes of Tammy Faye; Olivia Colman, The Lost Daughter; Penélope Cruz, Parallel Mothers; Jennifer Hudson, Respect; Kristen Stewart, Spencer
Best Supporting Actor
UP
Jeffrey Wright, The French Dispatch
Wes Anderson’s Gallic-tinged anthology is playing better with ticket-buyers than it did during its festival run, and Wright’s turn as a pensive food writer has been pegged as the standout. This category is ripe for a shake-up, but Wright will be running against Oscars history: Can you believe Anderson has never directed anyone to an acting nomination?
UP
Richard Ayoade, The Souvenir Part II
To the dismay of Hoggheads everywhere, the first Souvenir was not exactly an awards player, and I doubt the sequel will score much better. However, I would be remiss if I didn’t shout out Ayoade, who’s at his catty best as a directorial diva who steals every scene he’s in. He did score a supporting actor nod at the British Independent Film Awards, one of nine nominations The Souvenir Part II managed there this week. That feels right.
CURRENT PREDIX
Jamie Dornan, Belfast; Ciarán Hinds, Belfast; Richard Jenkins, The Humans; Troy Kotsur, Coda; Kodi Smit-McPhee, The Power of the Dog
Best Supporting Actress
UP
Ruth Negga, Passing
Negga gives the flashier performance in Passing, masterfully inhabiting a woman whose innermost self is fascinatingly unknowable. “Negga is marvelous … hypnotic and flirty and almost not of this Earth,” says Stephanie Zacharek. It’s a marked contrast from her understated work in Loving, which earned the Irish actress her first nom. Ruth Negga, the gerund queen!
DOWN
Anya Taylor-Joy, Last Night in Soho
Edgar Wright’s Swinging Sixties psychological thriller pairs Taylor-Joy and Thomasin McKenzie, two of the industry’s buzziest ingenues. But with Soho opening to a scarily low $4 million last weekend, the film’s awards chances are fading into the (Waterloo

sinsay

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Just saw it.

No way is it the worst MCU movie. However, it wasn't great either. I'd rank towards the top of the bottom 3rd. Just so much the movie had to explore and explain...tough to do without feeling rushed and keeping a solid pace through the entire movie.

But I enjoyed it like I've enjoyed basically every MCU film. Worth the 25 bucks I spent at the theater for me and my kids.

cli-terminator

Retired ManWhore
BGOL Investor
I enjoyed it and the way they built up the history for each of the characters. I really liked how they showed off Makkari's powers as well as Phastos' tech in the final fight scenes. If they did an X-Men movie and it had Forge in it, I would expect it to see Forge using weaponry similar to what Phastos was doing with his.

Don Coreleone

Rising Star
Registered
In the comic books every Eternal can fly, shoot lasers from their eyes, heal from any injury, have super strength and manipulate cosmic energy. They manipulate cosmic energy in their own way Makkari for speed, Sersi for transforming animate and inanimate objects for her own desires. She can change a man into a pig. If the story was told the right way you set it up to explain mutants, as well as every other mutation that occurs in the Marvel Universe including the Atlanteans the reason for Skrulls being able to change form etc. I think they missed an opportunity with this movie.

Winslow Wong

Rising Star
BGOL Gold Member

Going to see it today.

The first venom was not a Marvel production but the critic's score is 30 and the audience score is 81 -

Critics are usually on point but I loved the first Venom and I went to see it despite the critics and glad I did. I went to see the Eternals and liked it about the same amount as I like Ant-Man or Iron Man 3 - liked not loved - but enjoyable.

darth frosty

Dark Lord of the Sith
BGOL Investor
I enjoyed it and the way they built up the history for each of the characters. I really liked how they showed off Makkari's powers as well as Phastos' tech in the final fight scenes. If they did an X-Men movie and it had Forge in it, I would expect it to see Forge using weaponry similar to what Phastos was doing with his.
When they showed Phasto's intro to modern times and his story arch at that moment...That shit hit me!!!

:eek2:

His anger and grief at what they did with his tech, That was a powerful scene!

:bravo:

cli-terminator

Retired ManWhore
BGOL Investor
When they showed Phasto's intro to modern times and his story arch at that moment...That shit hit me!!!

:eek2:

His anger and grief at what they did with his tech, That was a powerful scene!

:bravo:
Yeah and his frustration at being forced to downscale the tech he wanted to introduce cuz it was far too soon. It really makes me appreciate the level of tech Celestials had access to and I also couldn't help but think about Apocalypse. Makes me wonder if the introduction to X-Men and mutants will be brought into the equation based off of Celestial or Eternal tech or if they'll go with the Ultimate Marvel universe plot where mutants were created as the result of failed attempts at recreating the Super Soldier Serum.

Don Coreleone

Rising Star
Registered
EOR1EIWUYAAkwKf

EOR1EIaU8AAdswh

EOR1EIXUwAAcTWx

TENT

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Cotton Gin. That invention dramatically made slavery the chief economy in the South. Phastos did that. Please go look it up. I know history.

I specifically called out slavery for that reason. The invention of the cotton gin changed the dynamics of it. It made sure that slaves were ALL black and they would never be free. Before that there were more free blacks running around and you could pay for or work off your slavery.

Cotton Gin came around and it was the end of that.

But that big black faggot is crying for the Japanese. When 300 years of slavery and destruction of a race happened.

wasted moment.
Because he felt directly responsible for giving access to the tech that allowed for that level of destruction. His character was all about tech

Last edited:

gdatruth

A Man Apart
Certified Pussy Poster
I enjoyed it but understand why its polarizing
not your typical superhero/marvel story, no A-List heroes, not as fun & comedic as other marvel films and had some heavy themes (pre-destination, price of immortality, free-will, nature of man, etc)

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

chrislee

Rising Star
Super Moderator

Going to see it today.
I saw it today. I enjoyed it. Didn't see that twist coming either.